The Cody Gakpo Transfer Saga Thread

Saint Garrett

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

David Ornstein

"Do not intend to sell" is not quite "will not sell". Possible to interpret that as meaning they could sell with a bit of ££££ persuasion. Sounds like time to move on though. Shame, the kid looked superb. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

"Do not intend to sell" is not quite "will not sell". Possible to interpret that as meaning they could sell with a bit of ££££ persuasion. Sounds like time to move on though. Shame, the kid looked superb. 

What about "decide against" which is what the main article actually says. I think this is closed.

Edited by CB Fry

Spent most of the day yesterday browsing the PSV forum hoping for some news. Shame he’s not coming. 
From what I have been reading so far it very much seems its Gakpo himself that didn’t want to move and not PSV blocking the transfer. Reports are he wants to stay with the World Cup coming up soon (he was hoping that United were in for him and didn’t want to sign for a mid table PL club).

4 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

PSV are clearly trying to get more money for him.  Still think he’ll go, but maybe Leeds more likely at this stage

That's my take on it. If they're pushing a last day auction on us and Leeds, time to move on imo.

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

PSV are clearly trying to get more money for him.  Still think he’ll go, but maybe Leeds more likely at this stage

If this story was coming out on 1st August, maybe. 1st September when the Dutch window has already closed, not so much.

I think a combination of PSV holding out, and the fact that Gakpo has gone from being linked to MUFC to Leeds and Saints. Honestly its a pointless move for him. Come January he could be in prime position for a panic buy to a CL team or just hang on until next year and likely to get a big move then.

From what you can see it looks to me that he is beyond the SFC stepping stone thing: he doesn't need to commit to us for two years to get a move to a CL club. Hes virtually there. Might as well just stay at what is already a decent sized club for a bit longer.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If this story was coming out on 1st August, maybe. 1st September when the Dutch window has already closed, not so much.

I think a combination of PSV holding out, and the fact that Gakpo has gone from being linked to MUFC to Leeds and Saints. Honestly its a pointless move for him. Come January he could be in prime position for a panic buy to a CL team or just hang on until next year and likely to get a big move then.

From what you can see it looks to me that he is beyond the SFC stepping stone thing: he doesn't need to commit to us for two years to get a move to a CL club. Hes virtually there. Might as well just stay at what is already a decent sized club for a bit longer.

Fair take on it. 

I see Alex Crook tweeted just after Ornstein confirmed Gakpo isn’t moving, to say reliable sources say he’s going to Leeds. He has since deleted that tweet, now saying Saints did all they could but he’s staying at PSV.

If we ever needed any more evidence that Alex Crook has no sources other than to rehash more connected journalists, here it is! Guy is a fraud.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

The club’s unofficial spokesman.

I suspect Semmens saw this coming and fed Blackmore the line to make it look as if we had done all we could.

I don't buy that, and what would be the point. None of us would be delighted that we gave it our best shot but didn't get our man. 

5 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

The club’s unofficial spokesman.

I suspect Semmens saw this coming and fed Blackmore the line to make it look as if we had done all we could.

Lol no they didn't. We obviously thought we had it in the bag at some point but things change. Once he played last night it was pretty clear he wasn't coming here. 

9 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Aren't clubs supposed to ask player/agent first if they want to join Saints ? I mean tapping up is OK now isn't it ?

Naive to think it’s not normal. It just goes agent to agent rather than direct to player. 

It sounds like it was all agreed, he wanted to come, he’d agreed personal terms and we’d met the asking price, but then PSV pulled the plug. 

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Blackmore has already done a “club has done all they can” tweet this morning 🤣🤣

Seems saints attitude to transfers / contracts etc  has changed from relaxed to confident but with the same outcomes.

as good as our transfers have been so far this summer, I fear that without the old up front being filled we are going to struggle for goals big time. Would have been  the same feeling if we hadnt singed a decent centre back. 

I hope to god this is a negotiation tactic or we have decent alternative ready to go.

Edited by wild-saint

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I imagine he's thinking along the lines that if he stays and then plays at the World Cup he could get a transfer in January to a Champions League team.

Bigger transfer for him, more money for PSV.

Yes as opposed to what some others have done, come here for two years, set the Prem alight and get your move to a top club.  Given that’s the clubs business model that’s what he would have been told.
Everyone is different I guess. 

This is exactly why I didn't get myself excited over this one, it was full off too much crap in the media. Playing out every second about what he has for breakfast and what flight he's taking isn't really what you want to see.

Priority for me is still a game changing attacker, so interested to see who we have as an alternative as we certainly still need one.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is exactly why I didn't get myself excited over this one, it was full off too much crap in the media. Playing out every second about what he has for breakfast and what flight he's taking isn't really what you want to see.

Priority for me is still a game changing attacker, so interested to see who we have as an alternative as we certainly still need one.

Absolutely this!

26 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I imagine he's thinking along the lines that if he stays and then plays at the World Cup he could get a transfer in January to a Champions League team.

Bigger transfer for him, more money for PSV.

Yes fair summation. His value hardly went down scoring a hat-trick whilst the world was watching him last night. He will still be a hot property post world cup.  

Funny all round this deal.

Looked like we agreed a fee, agreed terms and the player seemingly wanted to come. The whole thing with him playing last night was strange; then the Leeds involvement and him 'not getting on the plane'. Maaybe he did want to join us, and PSV said no - Leeds it is (since they've offered more). Could be there's another twist today (if he really fancied joining us, and if PSV really needed the money).

Shame we didn't get him - looked a good player.

Encouraging that SR are seemingly happy to drop this level of cash on a player though. Hopefully we don't go last-day-silly trying desparately to get an alternative in. Would prefer to wait for the 'right' signing in the next window or two.