January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

What I don’t understand with Mara is when we weren’t scoring and he bangs 4 in for the reserves he still doesn’t get a chance. At that point Ralph had very little to lose.

He's had a half decent chance. Apart from that Leeds game, he's looked absolutely nowhere near good enough to play at this level. It doesn't surprise me that Ralph preferred Che Adams to a kid who has had 1 good moment.  Mara was never the answer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's had a half decent chance. Apart from that Leeds game, he's looked absolutely nowhere near good enough to play at this level. It doesn't surprise me that Ralph preferred Che Adams to a kid who has had 1 good moment.  Mara was never the answer.

To what question?

For me he was a purchase for the future. 

12 hours ago, igsey said:

I reckon we could get Broja back in January, he's had some game time at Chelsea under Potter but not exactly done much.

How does that help, he wasn't prolific when he was here last. In any case if Chelsea allowed him to leave for a second time that would tell us all we need to know about what they think of his potential. Been there done that, we need somebody new with no Saints baggage.

I don’t think 10 minute spells off the bench for a team that are not scoring goals is a significant endorsement from the manager. Broja is the only striker Chelsea have besides Aubameyang, so he’s getting game time because of that. If it’s true that Nkunku is coming in January, then his chances will reduce even more, albeit he has just been put out of the World Cup with a knee injury so maybe he won’t be fit.

The difference between last years Saints team and this years team is basically just Broja? We’ve added quality/depth in every other area that we’d lost people, other than his position. We saw how poor we were when his form dropped off, I think people are dismissing how much of a difference he made to our team up until January. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

What I don’t understand with Mara is when we weren’t scoring and he bangs 4 in for the reserves he still doesn’t get a chance. At that point Ralph had very little to lose.

Obviously there is a massive difference in standard of opponent, and I got the feeling the four goals were taps ins. Still got to be there to score them, but not sure you come away thinking, wow this guy is special and right on his game, he needs to start for the first team. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

In any case if Chelsea allowed him to leave for a second time that would tell us all we need to know about what they think of his potential. Been there done that, we need somebody new with no Saints baggage.

Chelsea loaned KDB to Werder Bremen for the season back in 2012. The following season he was back in the fold and he played a few games, but they decided to sell him in the January window to Wolfsberg.

Chelsea allowing a player to leave a second time tells you what they think of the player, but who gives a fuck what they think? Wolfsberg absolutely loved him and made about €50m profit on him a couple of years later.

he ain't coming here, so it matters not.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 10:56, Sheaf Saint said:

I think he has qualities, which RA and the board obviously admire.

As to having quality - in the sense you are asking - that remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Obviously there is a massive difference in standard of opponent, and I got the feeling the four goals were taps ins. Still got to be there to score them, but not sure you come away thinking, wow this guy is special and right on his game, he needs to start for the first team. 

Even Walcott got a hatrick in the same match.

• Like 1

The whole “he’s a player for the future” tag needs to be lost quickly.

We don’t need players for the future. We need and have needed for some time, players that can perform immediately.

If we don’t we won’t be in the division much longer.

If things stayed as they were and there is no transfer window I think we could get out of the bottom three, however every team around us is 100% strengthening, and will probably follow Newcastle’s tact of last year and going for experience and leadership. They won’t be buying “players for the future”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The whole “he’s a player for the future” tag needs to be lost quickly.

We don’t need players for the future. We need and have needed for some time, players that can perform immediately.

If we don’t we won’t be in the division much longer.

If things stayed as they were and there is no transfer window I think we could get out of the bottom three, however every team around us is 100% strengthening, and will probably follow Newcastle’s tact of last year and going for experience and leadership. They won’t be buying “players for the future”.

Only Mara, Larios and Edozie seem to be ‘for the future’, and even then they’ve had decent minutes for the first team. Bazunu, ABK and Lavia have all become immediate starters and the latter two also seem to be significant upgrades in their position, with the jury still out on Bazunu. Add Tino to that from last season. This debate was had all summer, around age vs experience - we just need quality, I couldn’t care if they’re 16 or 36, they just need to be good. 

• Like 2

The first problem with buying players for the future - or to develop them and sell on alongside the players you develop from your academy - is you need to make sure you have a future.

And that means staying in the premier league.  Relegation means you will have to sell all those players cheaply before you are ready and the 'gems' from your academy will be taken by bigger clubs.

And to stay in the premier league your team needs a core of solid premier league players - not world beaters - but good premier league players who are experienced enough to know their way around the premier league.  I'm talking about players in the 24-32 age bracket who have enough games under their belt to make a difference. This core of players gives you the framework or spine of the team if you like to bring through players from the 18-24  age group and develop them without throwing them to the wolves game after game.

You also need depth to your squad - and I don't just mean having 25 players - you need enough good and experienced players in the 24-32 age bracket to last the season and cope with rotation, injuries, suspensions and international breaks.  At the very least a first 11 if not more than that.

The problem is we don't have a core group of players that is good enough, experienced enough or big enough to provide that spine - or provided the strength in depth needed to survive in a tough league.

I would probably only count Ward-Prowse, Walker-Peters, Caleta-Car and Stuart Armstrong solidly in that core group. Maybe Perraud and Maitland-Niles as well. 

You could argue Moi, Aribo and Adams are on the edge of it but I am not sure they are good enough.

But its not enough - its not even a full first 11.

Maybe add 2 or 3 great youngsters to it from the likes of Bazunu, Tino, Lavia, Salisu, Edozie and ABK and you might get away with winning some games but its not enough to go through a whole season.

Letting Romeu go in the summer without replacing him in the core group was really bad idea.  And not adding some quality and experience when we desperately needed it was another.

I am not arguing they all have to be proven premier league players - but at least seasoned professionals from the Championship or another top tier league.   

• Like 6

If anyone is old enough to remember Alan Hansen’s famous line about not being able to win with kids, this might come up as justification for the current approach of the club. 

The only problem is that that team’s average age was almost 27 and also contained seasoned pros such as Schmeichel, Parker, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Cantona, McClair, Giggs, Keane, Cole and so on. Even Beckham had spent time out on loan at Preston. 

Some senior pros would really help our kids develop and strengthen the team to stay in the league. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rebel said:

The first problem with buying players for the future - or to develop them and sell on alongside the players you develop from your academy - is you need to make sure you have a future.

And that means staying in the premier league.  Relegation means you will have to sell all those players cheaply before you are ready and the 'gems' from your academy will be taken by bigger clubs.

And to stay in the premier league your team needs a core of solid premier league players - not world beaters - but good premier league players who are experienced enough to know their way around the premier league.  I'm talking about players in the 24-32 age bracket who have enough games under their belt to make a difference. This core of players gives you the framework or spine of the team if you like to bring through players from the 18-24  age group and develop them without throwing them to the wolves game after game.

You also need depth to your squad - and I don't just mean having 25 players - you need enough good and experienced players in the 24-32 age bracket to last the season and cope with rotation, injuries, suspensions and international breaks.  At the very least a first 11 if not more than that.

The problem is we don't have a core group of players that is good enough, experienced enough or big enough to provide that spine - or provided the strength in depth needed to survive in a tough league.

I would probably only count Ward-Prowse, Walker-Peters, Caleta-Car and Stuart Armstrong solidly in that core group. Maybe Perraud and Maitland-Niles as well. 

You could argue Moi, Aribo and Adams are on the edge of it but I am not sure they are good enough.

Maybe add 2 or 3 great youngsters to it from the likes of Bazunu, Tino, Lavia, Salisu, Edozie and ABK and you might get away with winning some games but its not enough to go through a whole season.

Letting Romeu go in the summer without replacing him in the core group was really bad idea.  And not adding some quality and experience when we desperately needed it was another.

I am not arguing they all have to be proven premier league players - but at least seasoned professionals from the Championship or another top tier league.   

Fantastic post this!

Need to get this over to the club board asap!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Would anyone take Oxlade-Chamberlain back if he was offered to us by any chance?

Think he's on a free at the end of the season. Anyway with his track record, you'd hope any contract is linked to availability to play. (Doubt he'd be up for that though).

25 minutes ago, Soggy Bottom said:

Yes

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nope, he’s done nothing for two and a half years.

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think he's on a free at the end of the season. Anyway with his track record, you'd hope any contract is linked to availability to play. (Doubt he'd be up for that though).

Guess we'll have to sit back and see what happens, apparently being offered to us.

1 minute ago, Master Bates said:

Guess we'll have to sit back and see what happens, apparently being offered to us.

Weren't Liverpool looking to offload his wages  ? Although knowing them they'll want £15m for having just had his name associated with them in the last five years.

Have to wonder if he'd fit in with the NJ model of player.. or if he'll be parachuted in by those above (like Walcott). 

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Which is it? Do you need experienced or 'proven' PL players or not? I would agree that having a good core of experienced PL players can assist with avoiding relegation, but the more important matters are the quality of players and the quality of the management. There have been examples of teams with little to no PL or 'top flight' experience who have navigated multiple seasons in the PL - Brentford, Bournemouth's first stint in the PL, Leeds's first season back in the PL. Similarly there have been teams who have had plenty of experience but were relegated due to the quality of the players or coaching, especially when a rot sets in - Sunderland, Burnley etc. Surviving in the PL following promotion is becoming less common, but the similarity with the teams above were their excellent coaching under Frank, Howe and Bielsa. They were also incredibly well drilled and organised, something we've definitely lacked in the last two seasons. You just have to look at the amount of goals we concede from set pieces.

Yes experience will help, but the players have to be good in their own right. Crucially, a good coach and identity is what can make the biggest difference. I think we have a big enough core of PL or top flight experienced players - but it is becoming more apparent that they're either not good enough or the coaching of them hasnt been good enough. Time will tell under Jones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Master Bates said:

I think that probably just about sums it up. Not, "we’re fighting three other teams for his signature," Liverpool are trying to offload him onto someone else. We’ve been here before with Walcott, for some reason people convinced themselves he was ‘coming home’ to reignite and relive past glories.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Hope we are going to secure a striker for the start of the transfer window, but we can probably guess how it will all pan out, scrabbling around on deadline day trying to buy anyone.

Yep that’s exactly what I think I will happen and by which time we would have played even more winnable games.

the board made two errors in the summer not sacking Ralph and not getting a striker in 

3 hours ago, IFHP said:

Yep that’s exactly what I think I will happen and by which time we would have played even more winnable games.

the board made two errors in the summer not sacking Ralph and not getting a striker in 

Incorrect. They made 3, they let Romeo go 12 hours after Lavia injured himself for the best part of 3 months.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think that probably just about sums it up. Not, "we’re fighting three other teams for his signature," Liverpool are trying to offload him onto someone else. We’ve been here before with Walcott, for some reason people convinced themselves he was ‘coming home’ to reignite and relive past glories.

The Ox is a much better player than Theo. 

If we could get 5-10 games out of him, that is potentially enough to keep us up. The big question / concern is “if” though. 

Id snap him up in a heartbeat if the deal was right. 

id much rather he played 5-10 games for us than playing 5-10 games for bournemouth or Leeds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

If we could get 5-10 games out of him, that is potentially enough to keep us up. The big question / concern is “if” though. 

id much rather he played 5-10 games for us than playing 5-10 games for bournemouth or Leeds. 

If he hadn't played for us before, you wouldn't be saying any of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Can you believe he’s still only 29.

a loan to the end of the season might be a sensible move for all parties. When fit he’s definitely an upgrade on what we’ve got

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Hope we are going to secure a striker for the start of the transfer window, but we can probably guess how it will all pan out, scrabbling around on deadline day trying to buy anyone.

Was thinking exactly the same.. really hope we are working on having deals sorted right for the start of the window 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

If he hadn't played for us before, you wouldn't be saying any of that.

Regardless of whether he were to come here or not, or whether they've both played for us before, Ox is still a much better player. Theo still looks, at times, like he's never played football in his life.

I'd take him on loan if he was available, assuming he is fit.  If we could get say 8 games out of him between start of Jan and the end of the season, he'd be an upgrade on current lot, and give us a bit more experience in the squad. He's still a very decent player when fit IMO.

Doubt it would happen though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Broja being linked again

I'd take Ox if he was cheap or even free or on loan but I wouldn't break the bank to sign him.

Hasnt the Broja link only come about because the Albania national manager says it was better for him last season because he was playing more?

17 hours ago, Rebel said:

I have a horrible feeling that letting Romeu go in the summer was the straw that broke our camel's back.

• Like 3

I don’t think he was better than Theo when they were younger, but Ox has developed more.  Thing is, if you had the choice of signing Moi, Djenepo, Aribo or Ox, who would you go for? I think most would choose Ox. For me therefore it’s a definite yes if the deal is right for Saints and on the condition that we still get a proper Striker. With that in mind if there’s still a chance Broja is in the mix then it’s break the bank time because he would be perfect for NJ’s plans IMO.

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Yep, we'll get suckered again landed with at least a two year contract for another player who's glory day are well in the past.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I don’t think he was better than Theo when they were younger, but Ox has developed more.  Thing is, if you had the choice of signing Moi, Djenepo, Aribo or Ox, who would you go for? I think most would choose Ox. For me therefore it’s a definite yes if the deal is right for Saints and on the condition that we still get a proper Striker. With that in mind if there’s still a chance Broja is in the mix then it’s break the bank time because he would be perfect for NJ’s plans IMO.

Aribo has something. The problem he has is that he has a very laid back manner on the pitch, he's been accused over never sprinting or running, but he's an intelligent player and we are a better team when hes on the pitch. In our 6 best results this season (ie games we have lost) he's started in 4 of them and come on as sub for 30 minutes in the other two, in one of those matches scored the first goal that saw us come from 2-0 down to draw with Leeds. Of our nine defeats i think he's only started in 3 of them. 

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

At the moment I don’t see what Aribo brings to the team. Not sure if it’s just me but strolling, “jogging”, around the pitch for sixty minutes and trying to do a few step overs isn’t really a must for our team.

I’d take Oxlade-Chamberlain over him anyway.

A bit like Guly yes? Fans didn't rate him because he was lazy and jogged around. GIve me Steeeeeeve De Ridder every day.

The facts dont lie, we're a better team when he's in it. Plus he's also our joint 2nd highest goalscorer, not much of an achievemet i know

Edited by Turkish

Just now, Turkish said:

A bit like Guly yes? Fans didn't rate him because he was lazy and jogged around. GIve me Steeeeeeve De Ridder every day.

The facts dont lie, we're a better team when he's in it. 

It depends how you take it. From the games I’ve seen Aribo hasn’t wowed me.

I went to a lot of the Championship/League One games back in the day and I actually really rated Guly. He could be clumsy but I thought he was a tryer. Something I don’t see enough of from Aribo.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It depends how you take it. From the games I’ve seen Aribo hasn’t wowed me.

I went to a lot of the Championship/League One games back in the day and I actually really rated Guly. He could be clumsy but I thought he was a tryer. Something I don’t see enough of from Aribo.

He hasn't wowed me but then none of them have, we've been crap all season. BUt we are unquestionably a better team when hes in it. I think we look more powerful and better balanced when he's in the side.

of our six draws and wins he's started 4, in the others he came on as sub after an hour v Chelsea, and scored to start our comeback v Leeds

He's only started in 3 of our 9 losses.

Trying doesnt equal running around a lot, sometimes its also about holding your position and doing a job for the team. I like him.

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Aribo has something. The problem he has is that he has a very laid back manner on the pitch, he's been accused over never sprinting or running, but he's an intelligent player and we are a better team when hes on the pitch. In our 6 best results this season (ie games we have lost) he's started in 4 of them and come on as sub for 30 minutes in the other two, in one of those matches scored the first goal that saw us come from 2-0 down to draw with Leeds. Of our nine defeats i think he's only started in 3 of them. 

Yes agreed he has something - as does Mara - but so far it’s not transpired into consistency and success. It will be interesting to see if NJ and his coaching team can find the key that unlocks these players potential - if they can we could have a better side than we’re currently anticipating. But I still think an experienced Ox could help these players, if the deal was right…i.e free transfer and salary commensurate to his pitch time.

• Like 1

Aribo is one of the few players we have who is quite good at retaining possession in difficult areas, and can spot a pass. If Che could finish he’d have had a great assist to go with his goal in the space of 10 minutes against Everton that would’ve probably won us the game. His languid style is always going to frustrate some fans when we’re losing, because it looks to some like he isn’t trying as hard as everyone else. But often decent, intelligent players don’t need to go haring around the pitch, they find good areas instead. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Older fans will recall MLT was just like that. By his own admission, he never sprinted or chased back, but he had so much talent he was an ever-present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

At the moment I don’t see what Aribo brings to the team. Not sure if it’s just me but strolling, “jogging”, around the pitch for sixty minutes and trying to do a few step overs isn’t really a must for our team.

I’d take Oxlade-Chamberlain over him anyway.

I expect Nathan Jones to be having a few words in Aribo's ear. He will want him to up his output and do a lot more running and work if he wants to be a regular starter. Jones doesn't strike me as one who will accept any passengers in his teams and that can only be a good thing. I don't imagine he will be adverse to hauling off anyone who isn't putting a shift in during games.

• Like 1