Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Mr X

1 minute ago, Hatch said:

know JWP has a lot of credit in the bank but I think he needs to be dropped.  He is contributing nothing at the moment 

I agree.

The problem is, that he was probably the best midfielder out there today, so dropping him actually makes the team worse (if that's possible).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I remember people saying we'd had a decent transfer window (striker aside) people were genuinely excited by what what we could do with the new players.... What the hell happened? 

A win over Chelsea papered over the cracks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I remember people saying we'd had a decent transfer window (striker aside) people were genuinely excited by what what we could do with the new players.... What the hell happened? 

Not signing a proper striker. I genuinely wonder what results would have been like if we had signed one....Gakpo??? Having basically only A Armstrong and Che Adams as our main strike force has really tied the managers hands.

Edited by miserableoldgit

A wide player I thought should’ve been priority on deadline day. I also thought we looked light in CM after Romeu’s departure.

We we’re “supposedly” close to Gakpo, I think he would’ve been the difference between top half and bottom half of the table.

We didn’t get him and we got a child in Edozie from City and AMN who no one really knows what he does, he’s just cover for a few positions.

Never got the hype for Declan Rice but seeing him in flesh my god he's good, knack of always being in space, can move it on quickly, very good spacial awareness, can protect it and play short and long,  dictated everything through midfield, pretty much everything JWP isnt

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Not signing a proper striker. I genuinely wonder what results would have been like if we had signed one....Gakpo???

We will certainly be relegated if we don't move in January

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ralph and our coaches got hold of them, showed them the playbook and it all went downhill from there.

Wanted 4 points from West Ham and Bournemouth, so I'll await the midweek result to bemoan another dropped two points.

We played well, up until we went a goal up and Adams could've got a couple as well, but after that we were dire and West Ham didn't give us a touch of the ball.

We need to stay in touching distance of the rest of the pack and spend the Gakpo money on a star attacker in January, not do the old spread it around 3 mediocre players. But, then again, we could barely string a few forward passes together today and an attacker isn't going to change that, levels need to be upped still.

First half was an awful lot better. If Adams could finish we could’ve been 3 up at HT… second half revert back to the same shite, how Moi stayed on when we made those 4 subs I have no idea… no enjoyment watching us anymore, pressing has all gone - just a lot of passive shite tbh. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The momentum stopped at the death - not closing an experienced striker off and letting Romeu leave right at the end of the window weakened us considerably. The signings made were very positive overall but lacking a solid unit in midfield and a clinical goal scorer is obviously the difference. 

An uninspiring draw against a team who played on Thursday night, with no recognised CBs in their team. Most teams would've beaten WHU comfortably today. Not us, we were outplayed for most of that second half. 

We desperately need a change of ideas and now

• Like 3

Just now, DT said:

Surely just not having Ralph is better than having him ? Selles caretaker. 

My fear is that the club (and maybe SR) decided some time ago to adopt the style of play we’ve seen from RH’s tenure and that any change will expect a new Manager (or caretaker) to adopt the same sideways/backwards boring shite.

Having said that there are some incredibly straightforward basics that I’m amazed RH is not getting right. For example, WH had the ball on their right wing attacking Perraud but he positioned himself to invite the player down the wing to then put in a cross. Given that we play narrow and they have more strength in the air, this seems an obvious issue that should have been drilled into him in training. Also, defenders standing off centrally placed attacking players just outside the box allowing time for a shot, as in their goal.

Whichever way you cut it, RH is a busted flush and so are the tactics/training. We need a fresh injection of style before this young team completely collapses.

• Like 2

All these muppets calling for Selles to be in charge 😂

He has a large portion of involvement as things stand, ffs. The only thing he doesn’t pick is the starting eleven, which arguably could be anyone this season given the players form.

Selles wouldn’t make a lot of difference.

You can’t affect certain things; you can’t make children grow up any quicker or get stronger overnight. Or get back the injured players at the snap of a finger.

• Like 3

Showed some promise first half, performance dropped once ABK went off, all fell apart a bit, second half woeful. 

Final whistle no boos no cheers just disinterested looking fans shuffling out with hands in their pockets sums it up 

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He has a large portion of involvement as things stand, ffs. The only thing he doesn’t pick is the starting eleven, which arguably could be anyone this season given the players form.

You can’t affect certain things; you can’t make children grow up any quicker or get stronger overnight. Or get back the injured players at the snap of a finger.

So you’re confident that Ralph does not have the final say and Selles plays a significant part in the management of the first team? Really?!?  And by that logic, changing Ralph alone will not make a difference…mmm, not sure about that.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t see many clamouring for that. But I think getting rid of Ralph is the first thing to do and him not being around would be a positive. Selles would this be nominally in charge until the new man arrives. 

23 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Never got the hype for Declan Rice but seeing him in flesh my god he's good, knack of always being in space, can move it on quickly, very good spacial awareness, can protect it and play short and long,  dictated everything through midfield, pretty much everything JWP isnt

He has runners, JWP has no one.

• Like 1

Just now, Toussaint said:

He has runners, JWP has no one.

True, but then JWP doesn’t have the vision to play forwards typically - unless we’re chasing the game and he gets a rocket up his backside it seems. Not sure, but perhaps he’s instructed to play ‘safe’ because his previous forward pass completion stats were so bad? 🤣

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Agreed - how he is still at WHU is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, rooney said:

Seems Che missed 2 chances again. Happens every week.

I guess on the positive he is getting into the right positions to get the chances unlike AA but yeah should be putting them away 

33 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Absolutely, apart from the freekicks JWP is bang average!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

This. Basically an admission that he’s messed up the starting line-up!

That would be the starting XI which played well first half and was 1-0 up at halftime? Would you rather he did nothing when West Ham have taken the initiative?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

That would be the starting XI which played well first half and was 1-0 up at halftime? Would you rather he did nothing when West Ham have taken the initiative?

Of course not, but four subs at one time tends to suggest he’s lost faith in nearly half his team. Do you think that helped matters?

• Like 1

We were totally outclassed by an average West Ham team. I can take being outclassed by city or Liverpool but that’s West Ham. It was obvious that the midfield was being overrun 5 mins before their leveller. And we take too long. Scameca looked good, on another day he could have 4

19 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

So you’re confident that Ralph does not have the final say and Selles plays a significant part in the management of the first team? Really?!?  And by that logic, changing Ralph alone will not make a difference…mmm, not sure about that.

I think you’ve completely misread the point.

Getting rid of Ralph isn’t an instant guarantee of us playing better, nor is Selles being in charge.

We will still be playing shite, we will still have the same poor players, same players out injured. Etc.

My point is more for those that have suggested in the past weeks they’d like to see Selles takeover the role permanently. THAT specifically I see no benefit.

40 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Wanted 4 points from West Ham and Bournemouth, so I'll await the midweek result to bemoan another dropped two points.

We played well, up until we went a goal up and Adams could've got a couple as well, but after that we were dire and West Ham didn't give us a touch of the ball.

We need to stay in touching distance of the rest of the pack and spend the Gakpo money on a star attacker in January, not do the old spread it around 3 mediocre players. But, then again, we could barely string a few forward passes together today and an attacker isn't going to change that, levels need to be upped still.

What star attacker would want to join us, were shit

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

when you bring on four subs at once, then you know its finished.

I dunno….seemed like a gamble worth taking. I think it emphasises just how meh our midfield and attacking options are, they’re all pretty much like for like in terms of impact, a full collection of beige (I’d omit Edozie from that tbf but he’s extremely raw).  You could probably rightly argue for/against who came off, but I saw this more as getting some fresh legs on. There’s plenty to rightfully bash Ralph about, this isn’t one IMO.

Edited by The Kraken