Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Mr X

Slight improvement since the last few games. All of it in the first half, because that second half was awful.

Still a point is better than none, but Ralph has shown once again that he doesn't know how to win the midfield battle.

Normally Elyounoussi gets a lot of stick, but he was far superior to both AMN and Aribo today. 

Hopefully that poor show was enough to get Ralph his p45. 

Grateful for the point, but it was more down to WH's profligacy than any merit on our part.

The second half performance was, once again, utterly woeful. No control in midfield, no cohesion in attack, defence exposed and outnumbered time and time again. At home against a team riddled with injuries and in poor form. These are the games we need to be winning, but we just don't show even the slightest sign of being able to do that.

Yet again, it's clear we're being overrun but Ralph waits until we've conceded before making any changes. He never learns.

Time for a change now. If this carries on any longer we're going down. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I think you're possibly looking at the same thing the VAR did - it hits his hand once and that's not a penalty, but then his other arm moves towards it and knocks it behind. 

Oh right, no I didn't see that. They only showed it once from one angle

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Grateful for the point, but it was more down to WH's profligacy than any merit on our part.

The second half performance was, once again, utterly woeful. No control in midfield, no cohesion in attack, defence exposed and outnumbered time and time again. At home against a team riddled with injuries and in poor form. These are the games we need to be winning, but we just don't show even the slightest sign of being able to do that.

Yet again, it's clear we're being overrun but Ralph waits until we've conceded before making any changes. He never learns.

Time for a change now. If this carries on any longer we're going down. 

He was literally about to change shape and make a sub when they scored

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Only saw the last half hour. Based on that he should be gone by 17:00 this evening.

I assume the first half wasn't any better.

It was better, at least up until we scored. But as usual, we retreated into our own half and invited them onto us after taking the lead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Okay, I've been Ralph in until now but something's got to change here. Enough's enough. I really like him, he's a lovely bloke who genuinely cares for the club but sometimes that's not enough.

Even Ralph's staunchest defenders coming out against him now.

Just now, saintant said:

And that I'm afraid is down to Ralph.

Because it worked once when we scored and then hung on for dear life to fluke a 1-0 he does it every single time. Amazingly incompetent and tactically naive

Just now, DT said:

Because it worked once when we scored and then hung on for dear life to fluke a 1-0 he does it every single time. Amazingly incompetent and tactically naive

Clueless and he's being paid 6 million a year for this shit show. Money for old rope.

• Like 2

Another schizophrenic performance, looked a bit more balanced first half but flat and backs against the wall at home against a side that should have been knackered second half. I think SR won’t move until after Arsenal, but we reality is that we need to get an organiser in asap to steady the ship or this young side could go into complete free fall - you can sense it. 

Someone look at our attacking options and tell me three PL sides whose are worse.

Bournemouth is one. I cannot think of another.

No wonder we struggle to score. We replaced Ings with a loan player who we then didn't replace and whoever is in charge will struggle to get goals out of players like Adam Armstrong, Elyounoussi etc.

IMO I would be more concerned about what SR do about upgrading our attack in January than what they do Manager wise (and I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired just that a new manager won't make sub par attackers into good ones at this level).

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

Just now, Dusic said:

Someone look at our attacking options and tell me three PL sides whose are worse.

No wonder we struggle to score. We replaced Ings with a loan player who we then didn't replace and whoever is in charge will struggle to get goals out of players like Adam Armstrong, Elyounoussi etc.

IMO I would be more concerned about what SR do about upgrading our attack in January than what they do Manager wise.

Alternatively,  tell me 3 sides with a more clueless manager.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It was better, at least up until we scored. But as usual, we retreated into our own half and invited them onto us after taking the lead.

Yeah thats how i saw it,one notable thing when ABK went off injured i thought Salisu became more error prone the longer the game went on, and honestly should have got his head on Rices shot(imo). In the end we seemed out of sorts as to what the remainder of the game plan was after the subs .Honestly again IMO Adams always seems to find someway of hitting the ball straight at the keeper doesn't he?. and again we seemed to loose out on a strong hold up player after he went off, we seemed more reliant on maybe being a counter attacking team after that. Line underneath that we move on.

1 minute ago, Roo1976 said:

Yeah thats how i saw it,one notable thing when ABK went off injured i thought Salisu became more error prone the longer the game went on, and honestly should have got his head on Rices shot(imo). In the end we seemed out of sorts as to what the remainder of the game plan was after the subs .Honestly again IMO Adams always seems to find someway of hitting the ball straight at the keeper doesn't he?. and again we seemed to loose out on a strong hold up player after he went off, we seemed more reliant on maybe being a counter attacking team after that. Line underneath that we move on.

Well we might put a line under it but we won't move on unless we sack the incompetent.

• Like 1

Slightly better than the Everton game but disappointing we retreated as the game went on.

As soon as we did it allowed Rice to run the game, he probably won't have an easier afternoon this season than against our non-existent midfield.

Not really sure what can be done about that until Lavia is back though because we're stuck playing people out of position in an important role.

Thought Adams did well holding the ball up to a point but still made a number of sloppy passes and can't shoot. Luckily their strike force were equally inept at getting decent shots away or we'd have been looking at a defeat.

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Okay, I've been Ralph in until now but something's got to change here. Enough's enough. I really like him, he's a lovely bloke who genuinely cares for the club but sometimes that's not enough.

How do you know he genuinely cares for the club? More like he's paid a fortune and knows he's not delivered, if he genuinely cared he would suggest he leaves by mutual consent 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

IMO I would be more concerned about what SR do about upgrading our attack in January than what they do Manager wise (and I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired just that a new manager won't make sub par attackers into good ones at this level).

Tbf I'd take Solanke over any of our shower, but I agree with your overall point. Our whole attack is Championship standard. Ralph needs to go but I'm far from convinced anyone else is going to come in and do any better until we revamp the attacking positions, and I don't just mean a striker.

God we are so awful to watch, no identity, no belief, no quality. The worst thing is I almost don't care any more.

Just now, SupersonicSaint said:

Gerrard surely?

He's got more idea than Ralph. Villa gave Chelsea a good game today and probably deserved something from the match. He'll probably get sacked before Ralph though - come to think of it Pep will probably get sacked before Mr Teflon.

4 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Can’t bare listening to Blackmore and his asking a question by first stating the answer he wants to hear, he really is doing his level best to big Ralph up all the time…

his tweets are laughable in terms of their blinkered support for Hassenhuttl. Apparently we played well and battled...

• Like 1

Apart from the manager - Declan Rice showed JWP why he isnt anywhere near the england squad. AMN and ELY - not the answer. Midfield was atrocious really both halves. Having ABK going off early didn't help and Sally made some big mistakes. Not a lot the manager can do about that. Didnt look like the home team in the second half. Very lucky to walk away with a point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DT said:

his tweets are laughable in terms of their blinkered support for Hassenhuttl. Apparently we played well and battled...

Possibly fair but we were dreadful second half. A decent team goes on and wins the game in second half