Southampton 1-1 Arsenal - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

Just back and dried off… what a turn of events. Pretty dire first half, but excellent turnaround second half. 

Credit where it’s due, Mo El was absolutely class, not just for the assist and THAT block, but all round classy showing. If he played like half that player every week I’d be over the moon.

Lyanco has everything to be a cult hero. Excellent sure footed showing, bar one swipe high in the air. His passion is infectious and he kept a very lively Martinelli somewhat in his shell. 

Stu Armstrong looked very rusty but took his goal brilliantly. 

Ward-Prowse and Adam Armstrong our disappointments on the day. Though JWP grew into the game second half. Adam just looks lost on a prem pitch. 

Credit to Ralph, whatever he said at HT done the trick. 

• Like 6

Point a game going into the WC is all I ask for but anything better would be great. If we can get to 19 points I'd say we're halfway to safety with the January window still to come.

I must say I wasn't expecting it but 5 points from 3 has given me a lift. The team is showing fight. Long may it continue.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Of course YOU never play the poster and not the post 🤔.  There is a reason people play you Batman, and that is because you have been posting drivel for years! That stupid statement about Mara being a perfect example. How many minutes has he had on the pitch so…

You should see his views on Boris - they’re even funnier 🤣

Excellent result that today 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Here's the goal in case anyone fancies rewatching it 10 times or so. Such a great move.

We used to score goals of this ilk with impressive frequency circa 2014 to 2016.

A very pleasant surprise.
Edited by ant
  • Like 1

Today there were load of positive performances which would have been the case even if we had lost. What I ask from saints is that they give their all and leave it all out there and I can say they did that today regardless of the result. Excellent from the team and well done Lyanco especially. 

• Like 7

A very pleasing surprise. It looked like a ritual humiliation was coming our way until we changed to a back 5.

After that we grew into the game and at the end looked the most likely.

Caleta Car and Lyanco brought back memories of the unforgettable Big John Mcgrath and Jimmy Gabriel fearsome combination.

Thought the two favourite whipping boys -Perraud and Elanoussi had a very good game. My message to the perpetual critics is that if you want better why don't you donate the odd 20 million quid so we can buy absolute top class.......... Thought not.

I think RH is now secure until Jan  at least and the players really played for him.

Even my dog went mad when we scored -I shouted and he let rip a barrage of extremely loud barks and wouldn't shut up.

Really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

don't get the animosity toward Theo. I was fine with him coming on and he did well. It's not as though the players coming off are any better.

I thought it was a great sub and helped nullify the threat of Nketiah and Tuerney subs that side. Theo filled in well used his experience and we broke well from that.

Good subs today

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Also Edozie needs to play more. Adam Armstrong is a good championship player but he's not a premier league player imo. 

I feel for him a bit. Well, a lot. Yes, his quality is perhaps not there, but he’s a striker who looks like he would benefit playing regularly in a two off someone like a Lambert or a Pelle (a striker who has the creative ability to drop deep, turn, and spot a run through the lines).  Che Adams isn’t that, Broja wasnt really that, and Armstrong will struggle to make something from nothing on his own.

He’s playing out of position and giving it his all, but I don’t think goals are going to come for him while playing where he does. Like you say, Edozie seems to have a bit more about him in terms of creativity, though AA’s workrate has been what’s kept him there.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

A very pleasing surprise. It looked like a ritual humiliation was coming our way until we changed to a back 5.

After that we grew into the game and at the end looked the most likely.

Caleta Car and Lyanco brought back memories of the unforgettable Big John Mcgrath and Jimmy Gabriel fearsome combination.

Thought the two favourite whipping boys -Perraud and Elanoussi had a very good game. My message to the perpetual critics is that if you want better why don't you donate the odd 20 million quid so we can buy absolute top class.......... Thought not.

I think RH is now secure until Jan  at least and the players really played for him.

Even my dog went mad when we scored -I shouted and he let rip a barrage of extremely loud barks and wouldn't shut up.

Really enjoyed it.

I remember Big Bad John and Gabriel.  What about Hollowood and Jimmmy Steel?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenridge said:

We were awful, but, as far as I know, the game lasts 90+ minutes. Best sometimes to keep your powder dry and see how it plays out. 

Why can't you comment on what you've seen first half then again at full time - nothing wrong with that. If you didn't like the first half no reason not to say so, if there was big improvement in the second half then say so at the end. It's smug just to claim people are not entitled to express their views at half time.

• Like 1

Its been a good week. Would have been happy with 4 points from last three games, so to get 5 is a great return. Three games until the WC break so if we can get the same then we'll be sitting ok.

Think Moi proved alot of us wrong today, including myself. Thought the defence looked very shaky early doors but once we went to three at the back we were so much better. Lyanco, DCC and Perraud were superb. I honestly think with the choice of good CBs we have we should employ it more often. Edozie looked a live wire when he came on and hopefully he'll get more game time. Offered alot more than Aribo did for most of the game.

Two things are for sure - today proved that these players are definitely playing for Ralph. After that desperate first 20 minutes they could have just given up. This means that the story a while back either was a load of shit, or the bad egg leaking information is gone now. Secondly, people can find a way to complain about the summer window, but we've got much better depth now. To be missing arguably our 3 best players and have our only proven PL striker struggling, but still field a strong team today shows we've made improvements

• Like 2

Fantastic, battling Saints performance. That kind of aggressive performance against the top teams is what we need. Second half was superb.

Still need to push on up the table and hopefully we can win at least one of the next two. Palace definitely looks like a winnable game.

• Like 3

Another proper performance. Tough to beat, quick to get stuck in and horrible to play against. I wouldn’t want Lyanco as a son-in-law, whilst Perraud &  Ćaleta-Car are also tough buggers that get in oppositions faces. Great to see. Flexibility from Ralph as well, spot on again for the second time this week. 

Elyounoussi & the keeper had their best games for the club, but Lyanco my Player without a womb of the match. Set the tone for the performance, got the fans up for it, but also showed excellent defensive qualities and was out of position. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

I’m going to give Ralph some credit. We were getting overrun in the first 20 minutes and he acted quickly and changed it, something he often gets accused of being unable to do. We looked like a different side after we went to the back five and he should be applauded for decisively making that change. 

Fantastic to see the battling and shithousery today - Lyanco, Caleta-Carr, Perraud and Ely all fought for absolutely everything and bullied their men throughout. DCC was a bit lucky not to get penalised but hey, is football.

Shout out too for Bazunu who made some more vital saves to keep us in the game. He’s growing with every match he plays. 

Too early to say whether we’ve turned a corner but we’re grinding out some results now which is great to see, especially with the shocking injury list. 

Edozie definitely looks like he’ll have a contribution to make. 

Our goal was a lovely bit of football. 

Great to have plenty of positives to focus on. Well done lads. 

Our goal was a brilliant team effort, wont see too many of that quality from many teams this season,and we played it quick.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Here's the goal in case anyone fancies rewatching it 10 times or so. Such a great move.

Lovely goal made all the sweeter by the fact that it shut up Alan Smith constantly drooling over his Arsenal for a few minutes.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, nta786 said:

An Arsenal friend messaged me to say he’ll refer us from now on in as “Stokehampton”

Glad to see that physical side from us, especially DCC and Lyanco. 

Your friend is clearly bitter that we failed to roll over and let his team stroll through us unopposed. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I disagree. Edozie is still very rough round the edges. 20/30 spells as an impact sub seem the best use of him imo.

Think he'd be good up top alongside Che from the start and will learn quickly that way rather than odd appearances as a sub. Get him in at the deep end cos I reckon he'll swim.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, nta786 said:

An Arsenal friend messaged me to say he’ll refer us from now on in as “Stokehampton”

I’ve seen plenty of Arsenal fans whinging about the physicality of our defence (and that the ref let them get away with it).

Good.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I texted a Spurs supporting mate at FT saying, "you’re welcome, now don’t f**k it up."

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’ve seen plenty of Arsenal fans whinging about the physicality of our defence (and that the ref let them get away with it).

Good.

Yup, they're all whinging about the ref

Absolutely hilarious, they set the tone in the first half by either constantly diving or faking injuries. Ref was too astute not to fall for it.

• Like 3

I thought Adam Armstrong had a good game. Got through a lot of work with no support so surprised he’s being criticised on here. There’s a player in there somewhere and with encouragement he could still be a useful player for us. Thought Perraud came of age today. Lots of forward runs and solid defending. 
Good all round performance which has lifted fans but we need to carry it on at SP next week and build on it but so often we are one step forward and then two steps back. It’s always good to send London aristocracy back to the capital with their tail between their legs. 

• Like 6

Very pleasing to see us score two excellent goals from open play this week where we took the ball out of defence and worked it forward with good running and intelligent passing. It just goes to show we can do it so the next step is to do it more regularly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I thought Adam Armstrong had a good game. Got through a lot of work with no support so surprised he’s being criticised on here. There’s a player in there somewhere and with encouragement he could still be a useful player for us. Thought Perraud came of age today. Lots of forward runs and solid defending. 
Good all round performance which has lifted fans but we need to carry it on at SP next week and build on it but so often we are one step forward and then two steps back. It’s always good to send London aristocracy back to the capital with their tail between their legs. 

Agree that AA worked his socks off today and those hard yards are vital to the team. The only time I thought he let himself down was when he intercepted that loose pass and then didn't really make up his mind in a positive way and ended up giving it away with a careless touch. He should perhaps have oped to drive on and get a shot away or play in Aribo.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Agree about Perraud but not about Armstrong. He's played a large amount of games now and just doesn't have the required quality to succeed in this league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Agree that AA worked his socks off today and those hard yards are vital to the team. The only time I thought he let himself down was when he intercepted that loose pass and then didn't really make up his mind in a positive way and ended up giving it away with a careless touch. He should perhaps have oped to drive on and get a shot away or play in Aribo.

Armstrong reminds me of me when I play football. I'm good at winning the ball and a good tackler, but once I have it I tend to panic and normally do something silly. He's just not good enough. 

Watching the first 15-20mins, it looked like we would take a hiding and lesson today.

Really stifled them from that point onwards & battled brilliantly growing into the game, solid team performance throughout which is very much needed.

I’ve not been convinced with Lyanco, but today he was absolutely superb along with his infectious spirit - just needs to be careful in not losing his head - need someone like him on the pitch to lift the players & the fans. 

Edozie needs more time on the pitch - great positive attitude & would no doubt create plenty of chances - which is what we are greatly lacking in the final third. 

Think that A.A deserves more credit - one of the hardest workers on the pitch & is heavily involved in lots of play. 

Che needs to be a lot more intelligent & energetic in his runs - he doesn’t give the team the links most strikers do.

If only we could capitalise on the hundreds of corners & long throws that always seem to end the same way - with an immediate clearance

1st time for as long as I can remember that I’ve come away from the stadium not going mental about the referee as well - so all in all a great day - COYR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Last half an hour was much more fluid and at a better tempo. I think Lyanco's attitude really rubs off on his team mates, he put in a great performance. MOTM goes to the Pigeon. Held his position well on the left wing.

That’s a good point about attitudes rubbing off. Same for Perraud. Good to have fighters. 

• Like 2

Great performance,  zero confidence at the start. Seemed to be waiting for Arsenal to rip them apart as per the pre match billing.

Turning point was Lyanco's 'cough' collision with Martinelli and Saka's booking. That seemed to knock Arsenal enough for Saints to get a grip on the game.

Diallo in particular seemed to be enjoying more time to disrupt. I thought he played well.

In the 2nd half they built on that and after a sublime goal I thought they would actually win it.

Lyanco and Mo were superb, really bossed their side of the pitch. I think Arsenal were scared of Lyanco as they gave him a very wide berth. Put it this way any 50 50 challenge quickly became 70 30 when he was involved. I really think he is worth playing in midfield on occasion, such a dominant influence.

Ref was good for us, but let's be honest if that was reversed we'd be shouting foul. Anyway who cares we've suffered too often.

The league is ridiculously tight, nobody is prepared to lie down meekly this year.

• Like 3