Southampton 1-1 Arsenal - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

Off the back of a win, with a few players playing well off the bench. AMN ineligible so Diallo in who played brilliantly.

Bazunu
KWP - DCC - Salisu - Perraud
JWP - Diallo
Aribo - S. Armstrong - Edozie
Adams

Just a Europa midweek game for Arsenal, so you'd assume a few of their main players will have a full weeks rest.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

A little less pressure on this after a much needed 4 points in the last two may play into our favour a bit.

If we play as badly as we have over the past 5/6 games though, it should still be the end of Ralph.

Lavia, ABK, and potentially KWP out(?) means I'd be surprised to see a Chelsea/United level performance, however.

Now I've remembered that AMN cannot play against Arsenal...!

Supposedly Larios can play both sides, so maybe he will come in at right and Perraud continues at LB.

Like you say we don't have enough in CM to be moving people around, and given we'll be without Lavia the only option we have alongside JWP is Diallo - so we can't afford moving either of those imo.

We'll probably go 3 at the back with Larios and Perraud as full backs. I don't really see any other options unless we give Payne a debut or play Moi there but his lack of pace is a real problem in that position.

No doubt we'll lose because they are an excellent side this season.

We are on a great run, the boys will be full of confidence and will be up for this one. take out the Man City game and we’ve only conceded 4 goals in our last 5 games, that equals 30 goals against over a full season which would have given us the third best defensive record in 21-22 season. Plus we usually score at home and seem to have Arsenals number. Plus we unbeaten at home against a team from London in 16 games, all things point to hard fought battling win, 2-0 saints 3 points and another clean sheet. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Off the back of a win, with a few players playing well off the bench. AMN ineligible so Diallo in who played brilliantly.

Bazunu
JWP - Diallo
Adams

Just a Europa midweek game for Arsenal, so you'd assume a few of their main players will have a full weeks rest.

Edozie?! What’s he done to deserve a start? Would keep him as an impact sub personally. Only way we beat them is by nicking one and bullying them out of it IMO

38 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Edozie?! What’s he done to deserve a start? Would keep him as an impact sub personally. Only way we beat them is by nicking one and bullying them out of it IMO

There needs to be rotation somewhere with three in a week, and I don’t think either of the two missing out have provided much.

I don’t think he “deserves” a start, but neither do a few who are getting them.

• Confused 1

Tough to see past an Arsenal win, they've looked very good this season. Injuries amounting for us aren't helping. How important the win tonight was to take the pressure off this game. We may lack quality but we still have heart and fight.

Personally I think that if KWP is out and as AMN is unavailable against his parent club, we're going to struggle to fit a square peg in a round hole at right back. We could play Lyanco there, but that would leave no CB option on the bench (Lancashire!). We could put JWP there but as him and Diallo will be our only fit available CMs, we can't do that. We could play Moi there like last night, but I'm not comfortable with that, he's not quick enough. Perraud moving across (at least he thinks like a full back) with Larios left back is one of the better solutions but still risky. 

If we play 4 at the back, I think we have to bring in Payne for this one. Hope he can do a "Chris Baird in the FA Cup final of 2003". The only other option is to play 3 CBs with Lyanco, DCC and Salisu, then have a more attacking RWB... Djenepo? SArmstrong? WALCOTT? 😲

Although we have taken a handy 4 points from two games the performances have been shiite.

We will sit back against Arsenal but they have top quality and will just blast 3 or 4 past us.

Hope to be wrong of course but we are not tactically any good at the moment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Kraken said:

So assuming KWP is out, what’s our options?

- Flat 4, Perraud RB, Larios LB

- Flat 4, Lyanco RB

- Back 3, Perraud and Larios wing backs

- Back 3, gamble on Elmo or Diallo at RWB

- Something else? We don’t have the luxury of shifting JWP from CM.

Djenepo has played LWB and LB, so could play both roles on the right (being right footed). Doesn’t inspire a huge amount of confidence, but it’s an option.

Arsenal have won 9 out of 10 in the league, also cruising in the Europa league  , winning has become a habit, but hopefully they're "due a defeat". 

Unfortunately our home form and injuries suggests it won't be on Sunday , we got lucky at Bournemouth with their poor finishing , Saints 0-3 Arsenal 

Reminder train line closed all day for engineering work and no doubt a shortage of bus drivers again 

We’ll need more presence in midfield for this one for sure. Diallo and Armstrong ahead of JWP maybe. 

Will be Che leading the line and A Armstrong deeper on the left you’d have thought. We know Ralph wouldn’t dream of dropping him but I’d rather see someone with some pace in Moi’s position. We need to have an out ball. 

16 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Bazunu
JWP - Diallo
Adams

Kwp is out. Hammy I think.

Be good for diallo to get some more time I like him. One of the problems at the moment for us is Ralph is practically picking a very slow team with no mobilty only really AA and kwp can carry the ball ..diallo is very agile and mobile and can get us up the pitch which is something we are crying out for imo could also point out ward prowse slows the game down too, we have too much of this .so hoping he shines and starts nailing down a place 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

If we can put 90 mins together then we are capable of giving most including Arsenal a game, the issue we haven't done that for what seems like ages . Hopefully off the back of a win, the players will gain in confidence and this will counter act the coaches wisdom. 

If we don't concede early, iam optimistic for a draw.. Or actually just a performance would do 

15 hours ago, JRM said:

Reminder train line closed all day for engineering work and no doubt a shortage of bus drivers again 

At least there are trains from the eastern South coast line for Southampton with a bus service to Central from Woolston. No need to get the bus replacement service as you can just walk across the Itchen bridge.

Just now, qwertyell said:

Prowse isn't going to RB when we're short at CM too.

It'll probably be Djenepo as wing back in a 5, unless they throw Lewis Payne in at the deep end. 

It’ll be Larios won’t it? Think he can play both sides

• Like 1

One thing the Bournemouth game proved was that we can score (e.g. when Che gets himself into the perfect position). But it also showed that we’re still not resilient after going ahead and all over the place defensively…it just so happened that Bournemouth were worse than us in attack. And that means we’ve not really improved in terms of team performance. And Ralph is still tactically missing something.

For the reasons above, plus some key missing players I see nothing but another big defeat on the cards. 4-0 Arsenal.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-1 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic