Southampton 1-1 Arsenal - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

Arsenal tired massively in that 2nd half, but we needed to react to that which we did. We pushed up better, but I felt we were aggressive all game (especially the CB's), which set the foundations 'if' we could get the attack closer to the rest of the team.

I need to see more from Aribo though, a good touch aside - he seems like a passenger in games, and we cannot afford that. Armstrong gave us much more in the 2nd half, that's what we are crying out for - movement, bit of running into space from the wide which we did much better in the 2nd half.

The best area of that team for me were the CB's, for the entire game. I like the cut of DCC, good positioning, gets stuck in, strong as anything and Jesus just couldn't get a sniff most of that game really. Totally frustrated him. CB is one area we have clearly upgraded on in the summer in my eyes.

Shout out to Elyounoussi for his work today, this is why Ralph picks him - against the ball he's probably our best 'number 10', just need to see more from him consistently in the attacking third.

I feel sorry for Adam Armstrong to be honest. I think he knows he's well out of his depth, we looked better once Edozie was coming off of that side.

• Like 3

So much praise for the 3 CBs and fully deserved. CB (with ABK too) is our strongest position IMO and if we are to stay in the Prem I think building a good defence as a platform is the way to do it. In ABK and DCC our recruitment was good there. Get KWP and Lavia back and we can start to think about improving the attacking 3rd although that was a cracking goal today. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Shape much better now. Really like Perraud and Lyanco. They have guts, which is something in short supply. great touches from Edozie - even more baffling he hasn't been used more

well you know Ralph, edozie seems very confident in his very small cameo rolls. Maybe needs to start with him and Chey. Our top two front men didnt do enough pressing and harassing their back line today ,until we made our subs. Bizarrely  Theo was put on ,thought Mara would have meet that criteria apparently not. Lyanco and Calta  played well.

7 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Careful. You'll get accused of not being a Saints supporter if you dare say the 1st half wasn't very good.

We were awful, but, as far as I know, the game lasts 90+ minutes. Best sometimes to keep your powder dry and see how it plays out. 

• Like 2

Adams did look like he was going easy when he came on, but strange to play him at all if there was a concern. Ideal time to give Ballard a run out perhaps. If Mara can't get ahead of an injured Adams, that is also a concern.

• Like 2

Amazing point credit to the team and Ralph for a bit of bottle in the team lately... Hope this doesn't turn into Ralph should stay though he has a long way to go as we've seen this time and time again a few good results against the big teams them 20 losses in a row 

That 2nd half was excellent. Much much more like it. We need to keep doing this, keep having a go, keep battling like crazy.

What gets people's back up is when we retreat into our shell and play so meekly and don't attack in fear of losing the ball. 

Play positive and get stuck in, sure we'll lose a few but we'll win a few too. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

While I didn’t agree with Theo coming on I’ve seen very little in Mara to suggest your statement is true tbh, he’s just not ready.

don't get the animosity toward Theo. I was fine with him coming on and he did well. It's not as though the players coming off are any better.

• Like 8

That’s the template for performances at SMS to get the fans back inside! First 30 minutes Pellegrino bad but improvement slowly and then 60 minutes onwards the dominant side and capped by an excellent goal by Stu made by Ely. Could have been more but draw fair result.

Lyanco the catalyst and a must select in the first XI as lifted everyone today. I selected DCC as MOTM becuase he’s settled so quickly since coming in and like Lyanco, adds some bite amongst the sons in law. Ely excellent second half, Diallo better. Salisu having a good few games, very solid. JWP off colour and needs to be careful when Lavia fit again as even his set pieces are off the mark at present. Diallo carrying the ball with Lavia behind could see him on the bench.

Perraud - another fighter, we need more of DCC, Lyanco and Perraud. 

We missed Che’s hold up in the first half. AA waste of a shirt, that 1v1 was dreadful, didn’t have a clue what he needed or wanted to do. Edozie and even a past it Theo contributed more in a few minutes. Aribo a few moments of quality but Stu much more like his old self and engine today, not sure Joe quite fits with the current set-up without finding an extra half yard of acceleration to maximise his technical impact behind the striker/s. 

Bazanu improving.

Marsch must be gone after Leeds lost to Fulham, terrible result for Wolves, Leicester were not going down despite their poor start.

Edited by saint1977
Salisu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Excellent point that given the results of other teams around us.

Called the 1-1 draw a couple of days ago 😏

Those players are clearly playing for the manager!

Albeit the benching of Adams was not pleasing, actually it was probably for the best.

Lyanco, and Salisu in particular were excellent. Bazunu very good too.

Alex(The Muppet)Law is livid. Good day all round. 🤣🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Amazing point credit to the team and Ralph for a bit of bottle in the team lately... Hope this doesn't turn into Ralph should stay though he has a long way to go as we've seen this time and time again a few good results against the big teams them 20 losses in a row 

its hardly the performance that makes an owner think, yeah now is the time to sack the manager.

• Like 2

A brilliant point all things considered, that’s only the second game Arsenal have failed to win in all comps this season. They started out fast, as they always do this season but from about 30 mins onwards we looked as good if not better. Great build up from several players for the goal, defended well throughout, can’t fault the keeper or defenders for anything. Their only goal came from midfielders not tracking back.

We’re defending well this season. We started off wrong against Spurs and Leeds but we’ve corrected it. Since then we’ve conceded 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 1, 0, 1, the 4 being against City. We may not have the clean sheets but if only conceding one or fewer was a stat we’d be one of the better teams in the league. We are nowhere near as bad as some of the teams being spanked off the park this season

The end of last season we scored 4 in 12. The start of this season we have 12 from 12, despite injuries to key players and we have the capability to do better. We’ve been in every game, except City. We haven’t been on the end of a 4-0 from a mediocre team like everyone around us, we’ve got a chance of points in every game.

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A brilliant point all things considered, that’s only the second game Arsenal have failed to win in all comps this season. They started out fast, as they always do this season but from about 30 mins onwards we looked as good if not better. Great build up from several players for the goal, defended well throughout, can’t fault the keeper or defenders for anything. Their only goal came from midfielders not tracking back.

We’re defending well this season. We started off wrong against Spurs and Leeds but we’ve corrected it. Since then we’ve conceded 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 1, 0, 1, the 4 being against City. We may not have the clean sheets but if only conceding one or fewer was a stat we’d be one of the better teams in the league. We are nowhere near as bad as some of the teams being spanked off the park this season

The end of last season we scored 4 in 12. The start of this season we have 12 from 12, despite injuries to key players and we have the capability to do better. We’ve been in every game, except City. We haven’t been on the end of a 4-0 from a mediocre team like everyone around us, we’ve got a chance of points in every game.

good to read a positive post. With our attack and need to play five at the back and two holding midfielders to keep it tight, I think scoring goals is going to be a struggle all season, but maybe we can find a way. Maybe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

That 2nd half was excellent. Much much more like it. We need to keep doing this, keep having a go, keep battling like crazy.

What gets people's back up is when we retreat into our shell and play so meekly and don't attack in fear of losing the ball. 

Play positive and get stuck in, sure we'll lose a few but we'll win a few too. 

100% hard agree

Really enjoyed that today.

Shitting myself for the first half, thinking we'd be on the end of a stuffing. Big credit to the team and manager for that second half performance.

Grit and determination.

We so need a couple of quality additions though!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

We were awful, but, as far as I know, the game lasts 90+ minutes. Best sometimes to keep your powder dry and see how it plays out. 

I hear ya. But that’s like tapping someone on the shoulder at the match who’s chatting to their mates about how shit the first half was and saying “come on fella keep your powder dry”. Folks like to talk about what they’re watching, nothing more nothing less.  No powder was wetted as far as I saw, just people chatting about what they were watching. Which is what the forum is for after all. :)

Anyway, best thing is we massively improved 2nd half and that’s very rare for us. Yay. 

edit: I take some of that back I now see some people did predict the end of the world. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 2

That was a great game to watch! Either team could have won but a draw felt fair in the end, great point for us to pick up, and St Mary’s remains a bogey ground for Arsenal.

Our equaliser was a beautiful beautiful goal! Looking forward to seeing replays of that.

• Like 1

Very happy with that point and that second half performance. Have to confess I was cursing the selection of Elyonoussi but he was excellent in this game - full credit to him. Lyanco massive game. Great equalising goal from Armstrong. Edozie looks good. If we can do that without Che (mostly) Ketchup, KWP and Lavia against the league leaders...

• Like 2

Excellent point , 5 points this week was more than I was expecting so pleased with that. I only saw from 58 mins today so can't comment too much but what I saw we gave it a good go and were unlucky not to score another one. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

To think that Liv, ABK & Lav will all be back before long, plus a new striker(s) in January (hopefully). I’m standing by my ~12th finish. 

Definitely impressive performance considering we had Livramento, ABK, AMN, Lavia, KWP out and Adams our best forward not fit to start. 

No idea on predictions for finishing though, anywhere from 10th to 20th is quite possible no obvious relegation candidates 

• Like 1

First 20 minutes aside I thought we played really well, possibly the best this season. Lyanco and DCC at the back has plenty of shithousery, which against teams like Arsenal is a good thing. 

Stunning goal to draw level. 

Nice to have that feeling of pride about the team again. COYS. 

• Like 3

I’m going to give Ralph some credit. We were getting overrun in the first 20 minutes and he acted quickly and changed it, something he often gets accused of being unable to do. We looked like a different side after we went to the back five and he should be applauded for decisively making that change. 

Fantastic to see the battling and shithousery today - Lyanco, Caleta-Carr, Perraud and Ely all fought for absolutely everything and bullied their men throughout. DCC was a bit lucky not to get penalised but hey, is football.

Shout out too for Bazunu who made some more vital saves to keep us in the game. He’s growing with every match he plays. 

Too early to say whether we’ve turned a corner but we’re grinding out some results now which is great to see, especially with the shocking injury list. 

Edozie definitely looks like he’ll have a contribution to make. 

Our goal was a lovely bit of football. 

Great to have plenty of positives to focus on. Well done lads. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 9

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Arsenal tired massively in that 2nd half, but we needed to react to that which we did. We pushed up better, but I felt we were aggressive all game (especially the CB's), which set the foundations 'if' we could get the attack closer to the rest of the team.

I need to see more from Aribo though, a good touch aside - he seems like a passenger in games, and we cannot afford that. Armstrong gave us much more in the 2nd half, that's what we are crying out for - movement, bit of running into space from the wide which we did much better in the 2nd half.

The best area of that team for me were the CB's, for the entire game. I like the cut of DCC, good positioning, gets stuck in, strong as anything and Jesus just couldn't get a sniff most of that game really. Totally frustrated him. CB is one area we have clearly upgraded on in the summer in my eyes.

Shout out to Elyounoussi for his work today, this is why Ralph picks him - against the ball he's probably our best 'number 10', just need to see more from him consistently in the attacking third.

I feel sorry for Adam Armstrong to be honest. I think he knows he's well out of his depth, we looked better once Edozie was coming off of that side.

Great Post. Summed up perfectly.

First 20 we were all over the place. Looked to be on for a bad day. Ralph changed to the 3 at the back and we came much more into the game and looked better organised up to half time.

started much more dynamic in the second half and got ourselves a lovely goal. I had to go out from there and missed the last 20 but sounded decent on the radio.

Thought Lyanco was great, won every battle and showed some nice technique and passing, couple of wild passes thrown in too.  Can be a little….nuts at times and was close to giving the ref a couple of decisions to make. I guess that is part of his make up but he needs to think a little more in some situations.

Overall a really good point, we still didn’t play great but battled and kept going. We have a number of definite first choice players out so pragmatism was the call of the day. I hope we can take the last three results and build on them to start improving the attacking performance to go with a pretty solid defensive performance.

• Like 1

Very, very proud of the team today. It looked like we were going to be done at least 0-3 after the first 20 minutes or so but by the end I felt we could have nicked it. A great battling performance,  the better team 2nd half and Lyanco is an absolute rock......Perroud, Eli, Edozie and Calleta Car were also superb

JWP has shot his bolt and needs a spell on the bench to rest and get his head sorted out. He is a shadow of the player of the last couple of seasons and more like the one of 5 years ago when people groaned every time his name was announced as a starter.

Nothing is working for him at the moment. Not one of his corners today caused the Gunners any problems and his free kicks are no longer as daunting to the opposition as they once were. More infuriatingly he has resorted to his old habits of sideways and backwards passes that breaks up our play and allows opponents to sort out their defensive shape before we attack.

Today Diallo showed him up by his ball skills as he skipped past defenders.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

JWP had a mare today. Never seen so many crap passes. Still think we'll get a tune out of him when players return, but boy does he need to up his game. 

Shows what football is all about.

We all have differences of opinion.

JWP made a couple of poor passes including a poor backheel but otherwise he was all over the pitch as ever and his pass stats were good, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Really is as simple as this.

We have a younger squad, terrible injuries, and have played all of the top 5 in our first 12 games. Yet we have fans wanting us to lose (or disappointed we get a draw) because they are hell bent on getting the manager out. So hell bent that they can't separate that the squad this year is significantly different to last year's, or notice that our form has improved significantly this season from the form we had at the end of last year. This is a new team, and it should be judged accordingly. Its also the youngest team in the league, and things will get better as they learn and develop. More so when we have all of Lavia, ABK, Che, KWP, and Livramento all fit. Plus maybe a cheeky quality attacking option in January (we all hope). A saints fanbase that doesn't give a youthful team support though... that's something I don't recognise.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Really enjoyed that. Character and some decent football. As others said we took 20 mins to get organised/going/aggressive but from then on we’re probably the better side overall. Not as easy on the eye as Arsenal but very good. I thought they all played well, probably Perraud my motm. 

I got saturated leaving the ground but still not as wet as the bed-wetting wet wipes from Wettingham who were posting here when the teamsheets came out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Duje Ćaleta-Car looks a liability twice held a player back with his arms all round them got away with it though 

He isn't very quick and got done (and will be from time to time in the future). I suppose if you have been done, you have no choice but to foul otherwise its an `after you' type scenario and he ain't that kind of guy.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is my opinion, rarely if ever do i go for you

You are 1-step behind soggy, by playing the poster and not the post half the time.

Of course YOU never play the poster and not the post 🤔.  There is a reason people play you Batman, and that is because you have been posting drivel for years! That stupid statement about Mara being a perfect example. How many minutes has he had on the pitch so far?

Anyway, given that so many people had written us off when the team was announced, an excellent result, especially with so many injuries at the moment. Credit to everyone for digging in and getting 5 hard won points from the last 3 games.

• Like 5

Nice to have some proper centre-backs again and not Salisu plus an egotistical bellend, who epitomised everything that was wrong with the team in the last few months of last season and couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

The team is weird though, a few weeks of turning up meekly against Aston Villa and Wolves, losing 1-0 and you're wondering where the next point even is going to come from. Then we face West Ham, Bournemouth and Arsenal in a week, finish unbeaten and taking 5 points from the three. Maybe this is the start of one of those good runs we've enjoyed under Hasenhuttl through the years.

Every point counts, we only won 9 matches last season and stayed up as comfortably as the rest of the teams above us, while Everton won 11, finished below us and for a period were very much shitting themselves.

15th in the league, still better than five others. Wolves and Leeds are struggling a lot more than us without a goal scorer. Up the Saints!

• Like 1