Nathan Jones

Master Bates

10 hours ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Hello. Some pointers:

don’t be shit. 
don’t be pellegrino-esque with the shit football and the obliviousness and self-delusion.
Don’t recommend unskilled, unsuitable players to us at high prices just because you worked with them before.

dont play awful, route one football - let’s not completely lose all of the progress we have made in this project so far. 

don’t lose 9-0

don’t bring god into every interview

Don’t bang the club crest at least immediately. It seems fake. Let’s learn about each other and hopefully we might like each other eventually. 

thanks

dont play awful, route one football  - I don't care as long as we stay up

- let’s not completely lose all of the progress we have made in this project so far. What progress, what project? we are absolutely terrible and were in terminal decline, hopefully he can arrest that decline and re build something!

don’t bring god into every interview - if that's who he is and what he believes,  so be it.

Don’t bang the club crest at least immediately. It seems fake. Let’s learn about each other and hopefully we might like each other eventually. I doubt he cares much, you can't make being liked a priority if you want to achieve anything, it's  a "nice to have", not an essential. He's not David Brent

Welcome Nathan.

And good luck, because you've definitely got your work cut out turning this squad into one capable of getting consistent results.

Ignore the naysayers who think we shouldn't have appointed you because you're not a big name and don't have PL experience (like that actually counts for anything). As long as you can motivate the players and communicate your ideas and work ethic to them, and get us playing decent football again instead of the timid, turgid crap we have been served up for most of this year, I don't care what your background is and you have my full support until such time as you prove yourself unworthy of it.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who do we think could fit in with the mentality he's looking for? I'd say we have quite a few hard workers who are more limited in other areas. 

Think that the necessary solidity / steel will have to be bought in in January after assessment. He will have players in mind, like Strachan with Telfer and Williams, this side needs some reliability and nous above all else.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who do we think could fit in with the mentality he's looking for? I'd say we have quite a few hard workers who are more limited in other areas. 

It might be easier to determine who he wouldn't like, I'd say Aribo is the laziest player I have seen in a Saints shirt in a long time, along with Diallo and Walcott are my guess. I don't know what he'll make of Djnepo, I don't even know what I make of Djnepo! I think they are quite an honest bunch, just laking a coupe of key players to bring it all together.

• Like 2

I was impressed by Nathan’s interview on the official site. He knows what he wants to do. I like his philosophy and his realism but mainly that he’s come here with a plan. 
Interesting to hear his wife and her family are Saint’s fans but especially that her great grandfather was a Saints’s player. Nathan’s in-laws being Saints’s fans will keep the pressure on him to succeed 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Think that the necessary solidity / steel will have to be bought in in January after assessment. He will have players in mind, like Strachan with Telfer and Williams, this side needs some reliability and nous above all else.

Definitely need a romeu replacement in the middle, creativity in attacking areas and I'd say a big strong lad who can finish up top. 

• Like 3

I am as sceptical as the next person about this appointment but thought he cam across very well in his first interview. Having the world cup break is huge for whether he sinks or swims at Saints. As he says, It's another pre season, so would expect to see a different saints team come the match against Brighton on Boxing Day. Good luck Mr Jones 

Welcome Nathan - I hope you’ll do well at our club and achieve the success we all crave for. You’ll get my support if I see better more dynamic performances from our team.

Like others this seems an underwhelming appointment - one born of dogma and belief that the ‘Saints way’ is the best and only way, which has seen us steadily decline over the years since Koeman and Poch. So my biggest concern is not Nathan as such, but that he will continue with the same footballing philosophy and system employed by others…i.e. slow build up play. When I saw Sheffield Wednesday last night it was immediately apparent that even a L1 team moved the ball faster in transition and attack than we did and that was shocking. It’s the essence of why we’ve lost so many games and score so few goals.

Our new Manager has got a huge task therefore in turning our fortunes around. He also needs significant backing early in the January window at least in a very decent 15 goal a season striker. It’s another rollercoaster for us Saints fans I feel.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Hello. Some pointers:

don’t be shit. 
don’t be pellegrino-esque with the shit football and the obliviousness and self-delusion.
Don’t recommend unskilled, unsuitable players to us at high prices just because you worked with them before.

dont play awful, route one football - let’s not completely lose all of the progress we have made in this project so far. 

don’t lose 9-0

don’t bring god into every interview

Don’t bang the club crest at least immediately. It seems fake. Let’s learn about each other and hopefully we might like each other eventually. 

thanks

Anyone else read that like the voice from trainspotting? haha

54 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Definitely need a romeu replacement in the middle, creativity in attacking areas and I'd say a big strong lad who can finish up top. 

Lavia is the replacement for Romeu, and is a far better player than Romeu was last season!? Although, we have no other adequate CDM cover, and Nathan jones plays either 2 CDM's (ala Southgate's 3-4-2) or one minimum. So we could use another CDM - but not before addressing the attack.

Players/positions that are adequate and won't be strengthened in Jan (IMO):

GK - Bazunu, Macca

LWB - Perraud, and KWP/Larios

RWB - KWP, Tino, Larious

CB - Salisu, ABK, CC, Lyanco

CM - Lavia, JWP

Re the attackers - it clearly needs significant strengtehing. I would personally be signing a good striker who will finish, and a quality CAM who will generate chances and keep the ball. From what we have, Che is a good target man and Stu is our best CAM. Moi is a decent enough squad player. Haven't seen enough of Mara to judge. Djenpo and AA have been largely anonymous. Edozi shows promise, but we can't be pinning our hopes on him lets be honest 🤣

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Good interview.

Telling perhaps that there are no quotes from Semmens, Crocker or Ankersen - who owns the appointment? Usually there would be the usual explanation of why he is the right guy.

Whilst they let him get on with the training ground stuff theybreally need to help him out with two quality additions in attack, plus hoping KWP and/or Tino are back in January.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Well what’s done is done. We’ve voiced our doubts and recognised the huge gamble but we’ve no choice now but to wish him well and give him the chance to succeed. Good Luck Nathan, we are all going to need it of that have no doubt. 

This is the right approach, divided in opinion but we can't be divided in our support of the bloke now confirmed as our incoming manager, the players need to adopt a similar mentality.  Saints fans are currently punch drunk as often is the case in our supporting cycle so let's hope a bit of Jones' evangelism and positivity is just the tonic the club needs.  I hope he tears it up - COYR! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

How difficult is it? There's a page where you can voice your opinion on whether you want Nathan Jones here.

This is a WELCOME thread.

If you want to post negative, manic depressive shit, and set yourself up for "I told you so" posts after the first bad result, go to the first one.

If you want Jones - and therefore Saints - to succeed, use this one.

It's not rocket science.

Good luck Nathan. We're behind you. Well, most of us.

This isn't a welcome thread, it's a Nathan Jones has signed thread, if you want to start a lovely thread that NJ is never going read then fill your boots.

This feels like a Wigley sized disaster, I hope it's not but I have very little confidence.

• Like 1

Not someone I would have chosen.

That said, I wouldn't have chosen Frank 4 years ago, or Potter. So what do I know about up and coming managers?

Hopefully he's on a similar path to these guys.

On balance I'm excited and hopeful, and fully behind him.

Welcome Nathan. Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

• Like 2

Enjoyed all his interviews. Says all the right things. Hope he gets a good and open reception from the players. Crucial he wins them over, perhaps with his reported individual presentation skills. Actually quite optimistic but needs buy-in all round.

• Like 6

I actually can’t believe the risk Ankerson is taking here,, not only is he gambling with the future of the club and our premiership status by choosing Jones, his reputation is now totally on the line by choosing a manager NOBODY wanted..

even if we went down with a popular choice I could see a bit of forgiveness but if this don’t come off Rasmus probably goes from hero to absolute villain very fast .. good luck with your decision 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I actually can’t believe the risk Ankerson is taking here,, not only is he gambling with the future of the club and our premiership status by choosing Jones, his reputation is now totally on the line by choosing a manager NOBODY wanted..

even if we went down with a popular choice I could see a bit of forgiveness but if this don’t come off Rasmus probably goes from hero to absolute villain very fast .. good luck with your decision 

But what if it comes off? What then? He’ll have done his research I’m sure - doesn’t seem to be the type that makes a decision on a whim 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

But what if it comes off? What then? He’ll have done his research I’m sure - doesn’t seem to be the type that makes a decision on a whim 

Sure if it comes off he gets full credit ..

I like Rasmus and was extremely taken by how switched on he looks. It’s about the only thing giving me hope. That it’s supposed to be his choice 

• Like 3

I don't know an awful lot about Nathan Jones, apart from a few of the posts on various forums from Luton fans, but he sounds like the sort of appointment I was expecting our owners to make when they came to replacing Ralph. He seems to be a moneyball style manager which matches the SR ethos, which I think is a great approach for a club like us.

Initially I was confused as to why they sacked Ralph at the start of the week rather than waiting until after the Liverpool game but the more I think about it, the cleverer the decision is. He's now got the whole of the world cup to review the squad, mould the team to his way of thinking and style of play and confirm where he thinks the squad needs strengthening.

I really hope he is able to help the club take the next step forward. There is a risk of us taking a step back first, but we at least have given him the best chance possible for the remainder of the season.

Welcome to the club Nathan Jones, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Like 3

Good luck and welcome Nathan, hopefully you’ll galvanise the team, get them excited about playing attacking football and given the freedom to do so in a well set up way. 

Hoping the board/SR/whomever is in charge also back you by providing the attacking players and goal scorers we still need. 

Adam Blackmore, Jo Tessem and the fella from the Athletic were all commenting yesterday on Radio Solent that we will have an English manager so hopefully they’ll soon understand that being Welsh is not being English 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

This isn't a welcome thread, it's a Nathan Jones has signed thread, if you want to start a lovely thread that NJ is never going read then fill your boots.

This feels like a Wigley sized disaster, I hope it's not but I have very little confidence.

In fairness, it was a welcome thread before one of the mods changed its title.

Sorry but I just don't see any comparison between this appointment and Steve Wigley. He was a coach whose only managerial experience was in the conference with Aldershot, and was given the job as a quick and easy option (because he was already employed at the club) after a knee-jerk sacking of the previous incumbent by a chairman who admitted he knew more about hockey than about football. There was literally nothing in his CV that suggested he was even remotely capable of doing the job.

This appointment is absolutely nothing like that.

52 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Not sure where you get 'NOBODY' from...

image.png.1645a4821c35d5c9c28d35ad1d74c16c.png

39 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Yep SR will have done their research. Which I trust. Still find it a weird choice but what do I know compared to Rasmussen and his data and algorithms?

he’s our manager so I fully support him.

we’ve got at least one relatively expensive Striker coming in January. I’ve been told plus another two signings.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Have you seen Ankersens interviews on YouTube ? Isn’t the type that takes risks.

Edited by manji

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

In fairness, it was a welcome thread before one of the mods changed its title.

Sorry but I just don't see any comparison between this appointment and Steve Wigley. He was a coach whose only managerial experience was in the conference with Aldershot, and was given the job as a quick and easy option (because he was already employed at the club) after a knee-jerk sacking of the previous incumbent by a chairman who admitted he knew more about hockey than about football. There was literally nothing in his CV that suggested he was even remotely capable of doing the job.

This appointment is absolutely nothing like that.

Fair enough regarding the welcome bit.

I did say it feels like a Wigley sized disaster rather than Wigley type disaster. I agree their management experience is different. But it is a gamble of the same proportion.

Having his level of management experience and one promotion (although you could argue its two) isn't normally enough to secure a prem job. 

14 minutes ago, manji said:

Yep SR will have done their research. Which I trust. Still find it a weird choice but what do I know compared to Rasmussen and his data and algorithms?

he’s our manager so I fully support him.

we’ve got at least one relatively expensive Striker coming in January. I’ve been told plus another two signings.

I am probably clueless here, but I understand how data crunching can find under valued players or players that have certain traints. But I can't see how it can identify an under valued manager.

Haven’t got a clue about the bloke, but I want British managers who do well in the championship to have a pathway to the premier league. Hopefully he’ll do ok and other clubs will start to realise there are some decent managers & tacticians at the lower level that deserve a chance. Big opportunity for the guy, and a big gamble by the hierarchy, let’s hope it pays off. 

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones