Nathan Jones

Master Bates

On 12/11/2022 at 17:29, The Cat said:

I need to know whether Nathan Jones is a hipster choice as manager.

The phrase is often bandied around but I'm never truly sure what it means other than "a manager I've never heard of". 

If it had been a bloke who'd done well in the Italian lower leagues I'm guessing it would be a hipster choice, but does the fact he's Welsh and was managing Luton mean he's exempt from this label?

I think a hipster manager is someone who is hired based on his similarities or perceived similarities with other successful managers.

For example, Mauricio Pellegrino because Mauricio Pochettino was a success (similar names, both Argie).

Austrian Hasenhuttl because Klopp and Tuchel from neighbouring Germany are a success. Also because he gegenpresses (hence Kopp of the Alps), a hip thing to do.

When Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho became instant successes at Arsenal and Chelsea respectively, it became hip to appoint a foreign manager in the Premier League.

16 hours ago, aintforever said:

He comes across well in the post match interview, hopefully he is exactly what we need. 

It all hinges on who we can bring in in January, a decent striker or two and we have the makings of a side that should stay up comfortably.

We have two strikers lined up already and a fair wedge assigned specifically for them.

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, manji said:

We have two strikers lined up already and a fair wedge assigned specifically for them.

Are we confident that these deals will go ahead? Not sure if you know but it would be great to understand if these 2 are lined up to sign early Jan or if we are just in the race for them like we were with Broja and Gakpo.

Appreciate the snippet provided and fair enough if you can’t elaborate any further on certainty, thought it was worth an ask!

On a side note, bringing in 2 strikers would surely spell the end for Adam Armstrong and Theo. Might even mean we look to loan out Mara.

Edited by goodymatt

53 minutes ago, manji said:

By two strikers lined up already I'm assuming you mean we have identified who we want not that a future deal has been agreed.  No side is going to agree to sell anyone without first seeing who else might be interested. Unless, of course, they are current Luton players 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

If I’m being picky I’d want an attacking “forward” & a striker 

Agree with this. We need a proper finisher to compliment Che and someone who can create chances. 

Hopefully this spells the end of Adam Armstrong. I'm sure teams from the Championship would be interested. 

2 hours ago, manji said:

Very much taking this with a pinch of salt. Are these done deals or essentially just a shortlist?

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

If I’m being picky I’d want an attacking “forward” & a striker 

Totally agree with this. We were crying out for a proper winger in the summer, yes we got Edozie but I mean one that can come in and make an immediate impact. Not a Djenepo, an Elyounoussi etc.

I actually felt in the summer a class winger (such as Gakpo we were linked with) would’ve alleviated some of the stick Che Adams gets for his hit and miss finishing.

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

Gakpo’s list of clubs he wants to go to doesn’t include Leeds or Saints !

Yes, but we're talking about the two strikers we are allegedly eyeing for January (I doubt Gakpo is one of them). Not just Leeds of course who could gazump us, there are plenty of clubs looking for quality strikers. As @saintant says, these two are probably short-listed, not done deals.

I'm sure we had a number of strikers "lined up" over the summer, indeed Ralph was convinced we'd bring in at least one more (after we already got Mara, who is basically a Long replacement).

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
1 hour ago, Badger said:

I received this the other day. Worth a listen from 1min 20.

Utterly ridiculous for an away manager at Fratton Park to say the Pompey fans "lack class"... They're WORLD CLASS fans dontcha know.... (a bit like their spelling and grammar...)

Screenshot_20221113-223318-115.png

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, manji said:

Cheers for the insight @manji

Appreciate you probably can't / won't divulge too many specifics but are you at least able to say whether said strikers fall under the "young and hungry but inexperienced at top level" banner or the "experienced and relatively prolific at prem level or equivalent" banner? 

Thanks 👍

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I received this the other day. Worth a listen from 1min 20.

This is when a Luton player broke his leg, had to be stretchered off on gas and air and they booed him off

Edited by tunit
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, trousers said:

Cheers for the insight @manji

Appreciate you probably can't / won't divulge too many specifics but are you at least able to say whether said strikers fall under the "young and hungry but inexperienced at top level" banner or the "experienced and relatively prolific at prem level or equivalent" banner? 

Thanks 👍

your first banner in incorrect, it's Young, Hungry and guaranteed to improve.

Standing in the docks at southampton,

Tryna get to Holland or France,

With Che in attack Lyanco at the back,

You know you gotta give Jones a chance,

Christ you know it ain’t easy,

You know how hard it can be,

The way things are going Saints are Premier League… repeat 

Tune: The Ballad of John and Yoko 

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I think I've read elsewhere that managers rarely get the whole amount and generally settle for less? Not sure if I've made that up or not. 

Yeah - they never get the full wack. Think it also depends on how quickly they find another job.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I think I've read elsewhere that managers rarely get the whole amount and generally settle for less? Not sure if I've made that up or not. 

They don't get the whole lot all in one go. It's not a lottery win.

In most cases what they get is their salary continued to be paid as now until their contract expires, probably less stuff like win bonuses etc.

If they get a new job that stops and they get paid by their new employer instead. The compensation is for loss of work, once they start working they can't be paid by two separate clubs. They'll be break clauses as well - so they don't necessarily keep getting paid for (say) a three final years of a four year deal if they get binned for not hitting performance levels.

So we will be paying Hasenhuttl for a while, until he gets the Austria national team job (are they in the world cup? I'd say I can't remember but what I mean is I don't know and I couldn't give a flying)

Edited by CB Fry

11 hours ago, manji said:

That’s what I meant apologies

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you also say with regard to Nathan Jones that all the noise was coming from Luton  and even our local journos had stopped talking about it now, ergo he ain’t coming here. Only for him to be appointed the next day. 

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So we will be paying Hasenhuttl for a while, until he gets the Austria national team job (are they in the world cup? I'd say I can't remember but what I mean is I don't know and I couldn't give a flying)

Ralph Rangnick got that job not so long ago, so it maybe a while away.

Pretty sure RH’s ‘headline’ 6m deal was extremely  enhanced by bonuses for euro/CL quali, so hopefully if right we won’t be on the heavy end of that. But it’ll still be a good whack.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you also say with regard to Nathan Jones that all the noise was coming from Luton  and even our local journos had stopped talking about it now, ergo he ain’t coming here. Only for him to be appointed the next day. 

Mental Manji has been making some wild claims on the Ukraine thread as well. I’d take anything he says with a lorry load of salt. 

Just had this message from a Luton supporting mate....

"What's your thoughts on Nathan Jones mate? Can't imagine very positive.

I find it staggering with the whole world options open to PL teams you have decided he is the best option.

All he has achieved is getting Luton up from league 2 (second to Accrington) and keeping us up against the odds during Covid. A reasonable achievement but nothing exceptional.

The football is incredibly hard to watch and it's always about him. Don't buy into this whole "I've a bunch of lads who would die for me" nonsense. He's only interested in his own personal gains.

Personally pleased to see him go as can't stand the bloke on any level. Many others feel the same way. The way he departed for Stoke has left a bitter taste and most didn't want him back. Even reaching the play offs last season isn't enough to change people's minds." 

Looks like you might get your South coast derby back. 😉

See you at Kenilworth Road next season. 

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I find it staggering with the whole world options open to PL teams you have decided he is the best option.

All he has achieved is getting Luton up from league 2 (second to Accrington) and keeping us up against the odds during Covid. A reasonable achievement but nothing exceptional.

The football is incredibly hard to watch and it's always about him. Don't buy into this whole "I've a bunch of lads who would die for me" nonsense. He's only interested in his own personal gains.

Personally pleased to see him go as can't stand the bloke on any level. Many others feel the same way. The way he departed for Stoke has left a bitter taste and most didn't want him back. Even reaching the play offs last season isn't enough to change people's minds." 

First negative comment I've seen from a Luton fan on him, and I've read a fair few opinions from them. Every other shout has been glowing. They do suggest he is very much marmite though, as in expect the rest of the leagues fans to hate him, whilst we'll likely love him.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Lemons 🍋 Ffs 

On 14/11/2022 at 18:19, Harry_SFC said:

Maybe I’ve missed something - but didn’t his contract run out at the end of this season. If that’s the case then he will only be paid the remaining basic amount of his contracted salary(not the expected with add ins too). I remember reading when Andre Villas Boas was binned off from Spurs the remains of his contract to be paid off was over £10m which added to, remains of his Chelsea contract pay off, again of similar amounts - there was subtle quip that you didn’t need to feel too sorry for him. 
In a similar vein there was a comment somewhere that when Ralph came in that finances were restricted with having Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes still on the payroll (even when Puel was at Leicester) plus the expensive deadwood players. Of course the club could well have inserted until you get another management role after Pellegrino, hence Mark Hughes deciding to slide back into management at Bradford in February this year, which ties in with the paying you until you get another job. 
Don’t think anyone outside the central football bubble will know the whole truth about manager contract payoffs until you get one of them, or their agents, pissed on a night out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

This forum never ceases to amaze me. Whether it’s politics, music, football or any other subject, every time somebody  posts their mates opinion, someone they were talking to’s opinion or a text/message they’ve received,it always seem to back up the posters views. Strange isn’t it? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

17 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Is your mate David Pleat's missus?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This forum never ceases to amaze me. Whether it’s politics, music, football or any other subject, every time somebody  posts their mates opinion, someone they were talking to’s opinion or a text/message they’ve received,it always seem to back up the posters views. Strange isn’t it? 

I think my favourite was the one on the lounge when the poster who is a cyclist rode past a group of blokes criticising Brexit, he rode past an hour later and they were still there still criticising Brexit and the Tories.

two things here for him to hear their conversation clearly enough they must have been talking very loudly and he must have been cycling very slowly.  

17 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I find it difficult to believe that you have friends…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I think my favourite was the one on the lounge when the poster who is a cyclist rode past a group of blokes criticising Brexit, he rode past an hour later and they were still there still criticising Brexit and the Tories.

two things here for him to hear their conversation clearly enough they must have been talking very loudly and he must have been cycling very slowly.  

All the kids where I am still hang around street corners, going on about Brexit, after all this time. I've tried buying them booze and cigs from the off license, but nothing distracts them from their Keynesian economics in a post Brexit world chat. Really distracts me from my graffiti. 🙂

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

All the kids where I am still hang around street corners, going on about Brexit, after all this time. I've tried buying them booze and cigs from the off license, but nothing distracts them from their Keynesian economics in a post Brexit world chat. Really distracts me from my graffiti. 🙂

Have you tried buying them sweets?

On second thoughts, I think I know the answer ;)