Nathan Jones

Master Bates

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He's shown that he's capable of installing a fighting mentality at Luton so hopefully he'll be able to install a similar mentality at Saints as we're currently in 19th place. It's not hard to see how that might benefit us.

To be fair, it makes way more sense when you put it like that.

Fingers crossed the fight doesn't desert Luton though.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Keep forgetting this guy is the manager. I'm sure I'll remember once we start playing again.

Yes me too.

When you think what’s happened it’s madness but I honestly think we have made a genius move and that Nathan may prove many of us wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

If NJ does a good job with us, he is owed a dastardly amount of apologies from this forum. Some incredibly fast cemented opinions, already. 

Unsurprising really as he has no experience of the PL or a higher class of player

I’m predicting that Jones will be a success, although maybe not immediately. I’m hoping that he gets a good year minimum - even if we go down, so im going to try and hold judgement. Im also hoping he gets the freedom to bring his own strategy (ie not have to follow Ralfs playbook) and hopefully the types of players he needs (so not just young potential types). 
Patience and support required here from all (esp the board) or this was a silly appointment.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

I’m predicting that Jones will be a success, although maybe not immediately. I’m hoping that he gets a good year minimum - even if we go down, so im going to try and hold judgement. Im also hoping he gets the freedom to bring his own strategy (ie not have to follow Ralfs playbook) and hopefully the types of players he needs (so not just young potential types). 
Patience and support required here from all (esp the board) or this was a silly appointment.

Im hoping the decision to sign YHGTI was the decision of SR and not Ralphs as it could prove to be even worse than backing Pellegrino with Carillo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Good for you, as I said I didn’t mind it and the Sheff U game was a redemption for the roller coaster of emotions that all came before it.

"I didn't mind getting fingered by Gillingham and Hull in the Championship because it was all the good old boys and it was great lols on the terraces like it should be".

Give me strength. The following season we got what was coming to us and it was fucking awful. We nearly went under FFS. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hodgey said:

We didn t get Jones in to get relegated you dumbass

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

We didn t get Jones in to get relegated you dumbass

Didn’t we ? Thanks Steve, I thought we did as I so clearly stated in my post, which you clearly read and understood. I’m glad you are around to aggressively steer me right. Boy do I feel silly - better take my dumb ass off this forum 

• Haha 7

On 09/12/2022 at 13:09, Saint_Jonny said:

"I didn't mind getting fingered by Gillingham and Hull in the Championship because it was all the good old boys and it was great lols on the terraces like it should be".

Give me strength. The following season we got what was coming to us and it was fucking awful. We nearly went under FFS. 

I don’t remember getting absolutely rogered 9-0 in the lower leagues. Those two displays were utterly fucking awful, and I shouldn’t need to remind you that it happened in the treasured top league. Give me strength indeed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, washsaint said:

Still feeling completely underwhelmed by this appointment - hope he's a major success but right now I am not very hopeful about the remainder of the season.  Hope I am completely wrong.

Certainly not expecting attractive football from this manager.

100%. Barring divine-intervention, I am expecting a catastrophic shelling.

I welcome the chance to eat those words. And I have faith in our front office after seeing how our targets performed at the world cup (Gakpo, Ramos). This NJ move might be 4D chess??? Looking forward to finding out.

3 hours ago, St. Ciervo said:

100%. Barring divine-intervention, I am expecting a catastrophic shelling.

I think if we can constantly play like we did 2nd half against Liverpool when Jones made the changes at half-time we will be ok. Especially if we sign a decent striker.

• Like 4

Hearing he’s doing a fantastic job and the players are loving training again.

Could be a genius signing.

IMHO we have to get that striker appointment right plus in nice and early as we have a good run of games coming up.

Tella was in tears when he was told he was leaving, hoping Jones wants him back again.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I think if we can constantly play like we did 2nd half against Liverpool when Jones made the changes at half-time we will be ok. Especially if we sign a decent striker.

Pretty sure we have been failing to replicate "that time we gave that big club a real test for half an hour" in run of the mill games for several years now. 

I can’t help thinking that while he may well be a good manager in the long term he will be unable to give us the short term boost we are going to need to escape relegation. Everything is dependent on the first few results. If they go against us then the pressure will be huge on someone who is a PL rookie. Personally I would have gone for a short term contract with Sean Dyche, and maybe gone back for Jones in the summer but we are where we are but the next month will be defining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty sure we have been failing to replicate "that time we gave that big club a real test for half an hour" in run of the mill games for several years now. 

I think you’re forgetting how Pep said for twenty minutes we were the best team Man City had faced that season, before beating us 5-2 in March 2021. How I long for a return to those days. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I can’t help thinking that while he may well be a good manager in the long term he will be unable to give us the short term boost we are going to need to escape relegation. Everything is dependent on the first few results. If they go against us then the pressure will be huge on someone who is a PL rookie. Personally I would have gone for a short term contract with Sean Dyche, and maybe gone back for Jones in the summer but we are where we are but the next month will be defining. 

It’s unlike you to be negative Fitz so now I’m really worried!

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

If you have a month to prepare and can't get the team to start playing your way in half a season, you aren't a good manager full stop. Hopefully the World Cup has been a good oportunity to get his ideas across to this squad and we can hit the ground running when the league restarts. Whether that will be enough to stay up with this group of players remains to be seen but the answer is not Dyche on a short term contract.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s unlike you to be negative Fitz so now I’m really worried!

I know. I had about three days of vague acceptance and slight optimism after his appointment but now I’ve had time to reflect and think, the gloom has returned. We need a “Messiah type” to dig us out and not sure Jones for all his intent, energy and hard work is that man. I sincerely hope this post comes back to haunt me. You have my full permission to throw it back in my face come May. 

I know Liverpool had the game pretty much won by HT but that second half showing was encouraging. If what Pilchards says is true and the players are in a more positive place then I’m looking forward to seeing how that translates on the pitch in this winnable run of fixtures.

Like many, he’s not the guy I would have chosen. Willing to give him a chance as the signs from Liverpool 2nd half and player feedback are good early signs.

I think by the end of January we will know if he’s making the necessary impact and if we have brought in that much needed striker. I’m nervous but cautiously optimistic we can turn this around. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I know. I had about three days of vague acceptance and slight optimism after his appointment but now I’ve had time to reflect and think, the gloom has returned. We need a “Messiah type” to dig us out and not sure Jones for all his intent, energy and hard work is that man. I sincerely hope this post comes back to haunt me. You have my full permission to throw it back in my face come May. 

I am open minded and wait to be convinced but it’s one hell of a gamble.

• Like 1

What you need to ask yourselves is how many other PL clubs were courting Mr Jones. If the answer is 'none' then we are most likely up the Swanee and a paddle or two ain't gonna help us. If there's gold in them thar hills you won't be prospecting alone!

I will be intrigued 'though to see his starting XI when it all kicks off again. Hope there will be a few surprise inclusions and surprise exclusions. My guess is that he may rather like Lyanco for example.

No sign of Ruben Selles in recent pics, does he fit at all with Jonesey's mates? ⌗pilchards ITK?

21 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What you need to ask yourselves is how many other PL clubs were courting Mr Jones. If the answer is 'none' then we are most likely up the Swanee and a paddle or two ain't gonna help us. If there's gold in them thar hills you won't be prospecting alone!

I will be intrigued 'though to see his starting XI when it all kicks off again. Hope there will be a few surprise inclusions and surprise exclusions. My guess is that he may rather like Lyanco for example.

No sign of Ruben Selles in recent pics, does he fit at all with Jonesey's mates? ⌗pilchards ITK?

Brighton were interested when Chelsea came calling but we were way down the line by then 

On 08/12/2022 at 22:38, saintscottofthenortham said:

If NJ does a good job with us, he is owed a dastardly amount of apologies from this forum. Some incredibly fast cemented opinions, already. 

Not sure I agree.

I think most people are underwhelmed because of his pedigree but hope he can do it for us. Surely that is a completely fair reaction to someone who has never managed at the top level anywhere. 

I’m not sure I’ve heard many (if any) people write him off as a poor appointment.

My opinion is pretty much the same. That he’ll do a good job to keep us in the league, unless we sign a quality striker. I’d be surprised if he can do a better job than Ralph. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure I agree.

I think most people are underwhelmed because of his pedigree but hope he can do it for us. Surely that is a completely fair reaction to someone who has never managed at the top level anywhere. 

I’m not sure I’ve heard many (if any) people write him off as a poor appointment.

My opinion is pretty much the same. That he’ll do a good job to keep us in the league, unless we sign a quality striker. I’d be surprised if he can do a better job than Ralph. 

I'd be surprised if he couldn't and doesn't.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

The same second half where all the Liverpool players had totally taken their foot off the gas and put them on the beaches of Qatar?

I see this similarly as Tesco replacing their CEO with the lady that runs the local Londis. 

It could work, lots of people say nice things about him, but he has never worked at a senior level in any field at all.

I'm more than willing to be shocked, awed and to see us wipe the floor with the Premier League, let's get the first 6 matches out the way first.  Less than 2 wins in our next 6 and i would say Jonesy needs to go back to Londis.

Edited by Killers Knee
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

I see this similarly as Tesco replacing their CEO with the lady that runs the local Londis. 

It could work, lots of people say nice things about him, but he has never worked at a senior level in any field at all.

I'm more than willing to be shocked, awed and to see us wipe the floor with the Premier League, let's get the first 6 matches out the way first.  Less than 2 wins in our next 6 and i would say Jonesy needs to go back to Londis.

I expect 8 points from the first 5 games, this run is our so called “easiest” of the season so we should categorically know by the end of January/February where we really are at this season. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-12-12/video-nathan-jones-on-spain-training-camp-southampton-football-club-december-2022

Very impressive, I just hope Nathan Jones is backed in January with a top quality striker and at the start of the month too.

The flip side of that being, imagine a Semmens press conference where he said, "our priority in January is to sell ABK as soon as possible, before any other deals happen and we’ve got a replacement sorted." There would be absolute outrage and yet that’s what people expect another club to do. There is a reason most deals tend to drag on towards the end of any transfer window and it’s not through lack of trying.

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-12-12/video-nathan-jones-on-spain-training-camp-southampton-football-club-december-2022

Very impressive, I just hope Nathan Jones is backed in January with a top quality striker and at the start of the month too.

I hope we're looking at the South American market like Forest as they've been able to get Gustavo Scarpa signed ready for the start of the window as the seasons ended a month ago and don't start up again until April. There must be some gems available and if Forest can convince players in their position, we can too.

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope we're looking at the South American market like Forest as they've been able to get Gustavo Scarpa signed ready for the start of the window as the seasons ended a month ago and don't start up again until April. There must be some gems available and if Forest can convince players in their position, we can too.

Reckon he might go missing when the going gets tough though 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The flip side of that being, imagine a Semmens press conference where he said, "our priority in January is to sell ABK as soon as possible, before any other deals happen and we’ve got a replacement sorted." There would be absolute outrage and yet that’s what people expect another club to do. There is a reason most deals tend to drag on towards the end of any transfer window and it’s not through lack of trying.

Except we have been through enough windows where we sell our best players right at the get-go. We very rarely make others wait like we end up waiting.

Edited by CB Fry

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except we have been through enough windows where we sell our best players right at the get-go. We very rarely make others wait like we end up waiting.

Van Dijk.  We even announced it before the window opened, and he was our best player

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

There is no tangible evidence for that at all, we buy and sell our players no different from any other club. In fact in summer we got quiet a few signings done relatively early.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We sold Van dijk before the window had even frigging well opened!

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Van Dijk.  We even announced it before the window opened, and he was our best player

This was an exceptional case as the transfer had already been dragging on since the summer and Liverpool had been caught out with that Blackpool incident. Virgil was clearly not happy and had burned his bridges, so we agreed to sell him in January for a world record fee for a defender. 

• Like 1

I think Jones will do well for us, but then I always think that when we appoint someone from the lower leagues.  Sports Republic have recruited well in players and coaches so far, so fully back them to have gotten the manager appointment right as well.  The fact we appointed him so quickly shows he was the man they wanted

• Like 2