Nathan Jones

Master Bates

I'm slightly surprised that the players have apparently been given the last two weeks off even if they have been allocated  certain 'tasks' to complete. Time is precious so I would have expected Nathan Jones and the two new coaches to be eager to spend every last minute possible with the squad. They need to get to know each other and Jones should be getting his ideas across and drilling what is clearly a disjointed group of players. I get that other teams may be doing the same thing but, if we'd bucked the trend, it might have given us the chance to steal a march on our rivals. It is only 5 weeks or so until we face Brighton so why waste these two weeks? The planned trip to America I kind of get as there will be a chance for more bonding although again we'll be losing two days travelling plus any jet lag issues. With a new manager and coaches to integrate I just think this down time due to the World Cup could have been better spent so that we are fit and ready to hit the ground running come the Lincoln game and then Brighton on Boxing Day. Just my take and I am sure others will disagree.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

I'm slightly surprised that the players have apparently been given the last two weeks off even if they have been allocated  certain 'tasks' to complete. Time is precious so I would have expected Nathan Jones and the two new coaches to be eager to spend every last minute possible with the squad. They need to get to know each other and Jones should be getting his ideas across and drilling what is clearly a disjointed group of players. I get that other teams may be doing the same thing but, if we'd bucked the trend, it might have given us the chance to steal a march on our rivals. It is only 5 weeks or so until we face Brighton so why waste these two weeks? The planned trip to America I kind of get as there will be a chance for more bonding although again we'll be losing two days travelling plus any jet lag issues. With a new manager and coaches to integrate I just think this down time due to the World Cup could have been better spent so that we are fit and ready to hit the ground running come the Lincoln game and then Brighton on Boxing Day. Just my take and I am sure others will disagree.

a two week break will probably do them good. They'll be fit it's a simply question of maintaining that fitness during the break which is easy to do given they all have individual programs, Jones has given himself a bit of breathing space to assess the squad and work on this in this period so they are refreshed when they return, it's a good move and sensible thing to do.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

a two week break will probably do them good. They'll be fit it's a simply question of maintaining that fitness during the break which is easy to do given they all have individual programs, Jones has given himself a bit of breathing space to assess the squad and work on this in this period so they are refreshed when they return, it's a good move and sensible thing to do.

You make fair points and, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I'm sure Nathan Jones will give us an appraisal of how he feels the period until the Lincoln/Brighton games has been used and how happy he is so let's see the results when we take to the field in those and subsequent crucial games. 

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

You make fair points and, I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I'm sure Nathan Jones will give us an appraisal of how he feels the period until the Lincoln/Brighton games has been used and how happy he is so let's see the results when we take to the field in those and subsequent crucial games. 

I fully expect he'll use the two weeks to get a lowdown from Selles and the others of the good, the bad and the ugly of the squad and build his own plans for when they return. He was far from the first name on everyones lips but from what i've seen so far i really like him, lets hope he can walk the walk, he has certainly talked the talk so far. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I fully expect he'll use the two weeks to get a lowdown from Selles and the others of the good, the bad and the ugly of the squad and build his own plans for when they return. He was far from the first name on everyones lips but from what i've seen so far i really like him, lets hope he can walk the walk, he has certainly talked the talk so far. 

Yes, I am impressed by him so far and it seemed his half time words to the team made a difference at Liverpool which is encouraging. Let's hope, once he's had this period with the squad, he can get the team playing on the front foot from the first whistle. Aside from anything else I think we'd become very stale under Ralph so let's see if Nathan Jones can refresh and rejuvenate the players. We certainly need to get some wins and good performances under our belt sooner rather than later if we are to climb out of trouble.

• Like 2

One thing you can’t criticise Ralph for was the way we came back from lockdown. He seemed to get that enforced break spot on in terms of fitness & getting the players back firing from day one. If he thought a couple of weeks off to recharge their batteries was the right thing to do, I wouldn’t disagree (provided they’re not pissing it up or stuffing their faces in front of The TV) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

One thing you can’t criticise Ralph for was the way we came back from lockdown. He seemed to get that enforced break spot on in terms of fitness & getting the players back firing from day one. If he thought a couple of weeks off to recharge their batteries was the right thing to do, I wouldn’t disagree (provided they’re not pissing it up or stuffing their faces in front of The TV) 

yes we did come back focused and flying out the traps so to speak, but there were also no fans, and so no pressure, just play the game in a controlled atmosphere.

I would imagine the 2 week break was already planned and couldn’t be changed by the new manager, and if he had, players would have been upset so no point doing that. 

As for the trip to Miami being canned, this lot should be sent on army training in Finland instead to build up some toughness 🤣

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

I would imagine the 2 week break was already planned and couldn’t be changed by the new manager, and if he had, players would have been upset so no point doing that. 

As for the trip to Miami being canned, this lot should be sent on army training in Finland instead to build up some toughness 🤣

Kiev preferably. light fleeces. 

• Haha 2

On 18/11/2022 at 17:24, Roo1976 said:

yes we did come back focused and flying out the traps so to speak, but there were also no fans, and so no pressure, just play the game in a controlled atmosphere.

Does this mean the real trouble is the fans?

7 hours ago, Dellman said:

Does this mean the real trouble is the fans?

I think there was no mental pressure and no fragility , and that lead to better understanding of how to cope in otherwise pressurized situations, so maybe its a mental fragility that we need to resolve.

19 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Most clubs seem to be having a break, been quite a few pictures on social media of premier league players abroad, Liverpool players in Vegas and Miami for example. Can’t see the issue with it personally. Give them a break and come back refreshed. It’ll also give the new manager some breathing space to get his plans ready and get a proper lowdown of the squad from the coaches

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

No but without the fans we could hear Ralph constantly giving players instructions !

Perhaps that was part of the problem? If he was micro-managing the team during the game it’s no wonder that they were slow and ponderous up in their play. He was treating every match like a game of Subbuteo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Perhaps that was part of the problem? If he was micro-managing the team during the game it’s no wonder that they were slow and ponderous up in their play. He was treating every match like a game of Subbuteo.

Didn’t you hear it yourself or did you have the fake crowd noise on ? I thought the point was the team did well during closed door matches !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Didn’t you hear it yourself or did you have the fake crowd noise on ? I thought the point was the team did well during closed door matches !

Sorry, I get the point but I did not make myself clear. They are slow and ponderous now yet they were doing better behind closed doors. Maybe they haven’t been able to hear Ralph in recent times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Sorry, I get the point but I did not make myself clear. They are slow and ponderous now yet they were doing better behind closed doors. Maybe they haven’t been able to hear Ralph in recent times.

All that time, poor Ralph was shouting "Not automatisms! Hoof it to Che!" and no-one could hear him. 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It was a revelation at the time how much Ralph was talking to the players , presumably he doesn't bother normally as he wouldn't be heard , they don't listen to us saying get it forward etc 😄

On 18/11/2022 at 09:55, Turkish said:

You are very easily woo'd. Just a glimpse of a hairy ankle and you're anybody's 😉

Edited by Charlie Wayman

On 20/11/2022 at 13:18, Daft Kerplunk said:

this lot should be sent on army training in Finland instead to build up some toughness 🤣

cold weather training. Like it. Playing back in England with our `mild' winter will seem like a joy. 

• Haha 1

I think we may have got in at the right time in this managerial domino affect - Michael Beale is off to Rangers from QPR and if I remember rightly, it was reported when Wolves approached QPR for him (which he eventually turned down), Nathan Jones was QPR's desired replacement

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Not sure if already mentioned elsewhere...

https://www.toronews.net/rassegna-stampa/la-stampa-offerta-del-southampton-a-juric-ma-il-tecnico-ha-detto-no/

If this Italian article is to be believed, Nathan Jones wasn't our first choice. We approached Ivan Juric from Torino but he rejected the offer.

Looks somehow an even worse appointment on paper. (going off wiki!)

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

https://www.toronews.net/rassegna-stampa/la-stampa-offerta-del-southampton-a-juric-ma-il-tecnico-ha-detto-no/

If this Italian article is to be believed, Nathan Jones wasn't our first choice. We approached Ivan Juric from Torino but he rejected the offer.

I would imagine Nathan Jones' name was a number of rows from the top of the list.  No point crying over spilt milk, just need to crack on with it.

38 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Looks somehow an even worse appointment on paper. (going off wiki!)

Yeah I had a look at that too. Not exactly the best record! Jones knows English football and has installed a fighting mentality at Luton which is exactly what we need.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

How does a fighting mentality at Luton help us?

He's shown that he's capable of installing a fighting mentality at Luton so hopefully he'll be able to install a similar mentality at Saints as we're currently in 19th place. It's not hard to see how that might benefit us.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

He's shown that he's capable of installing a fighting mentality at Luton so hopefully he'll be able to install a similar mentality at Saints as we're currently in 19th place. It's not hard to see how that might benefit us.

Worked really well for him at Stoke. 

let’s not beat around the bush, it’s a terrible appoint in reality. 

I’ll be amazed if we stay up. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I can confirm that I also had an interview with Saints before they resorted to Nathan Jones, but I decided against the opportunity as what I really wanted was the Wolves gig.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

He wouldn't have been my pick and I personally think our luck runs out this year but if he can install a fighting mentality, we stand a chance. Things didn't go well for him at Stoke but I'm sure there were some mitigating circumstances given how they've performed since. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, support the team and hope he can replicate his success at Luton in the Premier League. It's all we can do now.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dman said:

We aren’t staying up. However unlike last time I’m personally looking forward to the ride next season. Every week, season in, season out we pretty much tip up to games wondering if we’ll score let alone win. I’m tired of it, we can’t compete at this level so if it means going down and getting that feel good factor back on a Saturday evening then I’m happy with that. Listen if we go down every season until we hit the Conference I don’t really care. I support Saints and just want to see us win games and compete, whatever league that may be in. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

We aren’t staying up. However unlike last time I’m personally looking forward to the ride next season. Every week, season in, season out we pretty much tip up to games wondering if we’ll score let alone win. I’m tired of it, we can’t compete at this level so if it means going down and getting that feel good factor back on a Saturday evening then I’m happy with that. Listen if we go down every season until we hit the Conference I don’t really care. I support Saints and just want to see us win games and compete, whatever league that may be in. 

Some of my best times as a fan over the last almost 40 years were when we went down, and blasted back. The feeling of turning up expecting to win, and winning, was brilliant. Less plastic fans, just actual fans supporting the club they love irrespective of the league we're in. From a football perspective I won't be upset if we go down. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, egg said:

Some of my best times as a fan over the last almost 40 years were when we went down, and blasted back. The feeling of turning up expecting to win, and winning, was brilliant. Less plastic fans, just actual fans supporting the club they love irrespective of the league we're in. From a football perspective I won't be upset if we go down. 

League one got a bit old after two seasons, mind. I enjoyed going to the matches much more than before though.  Championship promotion season was amazing, and apart from the Portvliet spell I liked those Championship times too. Stern John keeping us up was one of those amazing “I was there” moments that live long in the memory. I don’t fear relegation one bit like I used to twenty years ago. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, egg said:

Very true but I think you have a selective memory. 

Have you forgotten that dreadful period from 2005 to 2009? There were some dire times then. 2010 -2012 may have been great seasons but 2008 -9 in particular was fucking awful. If we were to be relegated this year there is no guarantee that it would be like 2010 -2012

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

League one got a bit old after two seasons, mind. I enjoyed going to the matches much more than before though.  Championship promotion season was amazing, and apart from the Portvliet spell I liked those Championship times too. Stern John keeping us up was one of those amazing “I was there” moments that live long in the memory. I don’t fear relegation one bit like I used to twenty years ago. 

Yes but that was one game in a season of absolute sh*te. My personal memories of that season are mostly dreadful, I remember going to Hull and watching us get stuffed 5-0. Frazer Campbell looked like Romario that day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes but that was one game in a season of absolute sh*te. My personal memories of that season are mostly dreadful, I remember going to Hull and watching us get stuffed 5-0. Frazer Campbell looked like Romario that day.

Good for you, as I said I didn’t mind it and the Sheff U game was a redemption for the roller coaster of emotions that all came before it.

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Be careful what you wish for; we are more likely to get a Poortvliet season rather than an Adkins one.

Nobody has wished for it. Just that it's no drama if it happens, and that it could turn out to be a fun ride. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

No guarantee of the feel good factor, look how Pompey are stuck down there. I remember they seasons following relegation from Premier one struggle after another until relegation again  --and bankruptcy. Don't want to go through that again, once in a lifetime is enough. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Listen if we go down every season until we hit the Conference I don’t really care. I support Saints and just want to see us win games and compete, whatever league that may be in. 

I think I might care a bit after the fourth straight relegation and mid week games vs the likes of eastleigh and boreham wood