Nathan Jones

Master Bates

21 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I think Jones will do well for us, but then I always think that when we appoint someone from the lower leagues.  Sports Republic have recruited well in players and coaches so far, so fully back them to have gotten the manager appointment right as well.  The fact we appointed him so quickly shows he was the man they wanted

Apart from the Torino manager of course 

13 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Apart from the Torino manager of course 

Just because we explored multiple candidates doesn’t mean that Nathan Jones wasn’t first choice. Jones let slip in an interview that he was watching the Newcastle game with his saints supporting father in law telling him what to do ‘when he went in’. Ralph wasn’t even sacked yet. Pretty sure a poster on here suggested we had also contacted Nathan Jones in the summer. 

Seems clear that we have been looking since the summer and it makes sense to explore various options. Doesn’t mean for sure that the Torino guy was first choice just because he was contacted. We also liked the guy Brighton appointed according to the Athletic. Long term interest in Cooper at Forest as well. Speed of appointment and Rasmus metrics all point to Nathan Jones being the one they wanted once they finally decided to sack Ralph.

Edited by goodymatt
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

I see this similarly as Tesco replacing their CEO with the lady that runs the local Londis. 

It could work, lots of people say nice things about him, but he has never worked at a senior level in any field at all.

I'm more than willing to be shocked, awed and to see us wipe the floor with the Premier League, let's get the first 6 matches out the way first.  Less than 2 wins in our next 6 and i would say Jonesy needs to go back to Londis.

We're not exactly Tesco are we. It's more like a chain with 30 stores hiring someone with an impressive track record at a chain of 5 stores

10 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We're not exactly Tesco are we. It's more like a chain with 30 stores hiring someone with an impressive track record at a chain of 5 stores

For those old schoolers out there someone at Sperrings being given the job of head of Alldays.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

I see this similarly as Tesco replacing their CEO with the lady that runs the local Londis. 

It could work, lots of people say nice things about him, but he has never worked at a senior level in any field at all.

I'm more than willing to be shocked, awed and to see us wipe the floor with the Premier League, let's get the first 6 matches out the way first.  Less than 2 wins in our next 6 and i would say Jonesy needs to go back to Londis.

Based on this incredibly dumb logic we should never sign anyone that hasn't already played in the PL, so instead of your Mane's, Van Dijks, Tadics etc. we should be going all out for the likes of Lingaard and Cleverley......

I mean for a start its massively disrespectful to all those hard working professional managers in the championship, acting like it's some sort of amateur mickey mouse league, not one of the toughest leagues in the world (iirc one of the most watched and probably stronger as a 2nd division than many top divisions across Europe). But if we signed one of the best young players who has consistently performed in the championship most people would be excited by the signing, but we get one of the best young managers in the championship, who has consistently made his team overperform with lesser resources and was championship manager season last year and suddenly he is being equated as being a manager of a local convenience store?

He's got more managerial experience than Arteta had before he got the Arsenal job, more managerial experience than Gerrard had before the Rangers job and more than Lampard had before getting the Chelsea job. 

Just overall an absurd take. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

bla bla bla:  Just overall an absurd take. 

But both Gerard and Arteta managed to get to the top of one field of endeavor before attempting another.  This Boy Jones has accomplished nothing at a senior level in his entire life.  Like i said, I hope he does it, lets see what the first six matches bring.

Edited by Killers Knee

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Anyone else looking forward to his first reference to god after a win? A few on here will be exploding. 

I only hope Yahweh steps up along with Jones. It's a deity with lots to prove at this level, and I'm sure there are a lot of fans who would have preferred a Hermes, Ares or any God of thunder, even on a short term contract. 🙂

4 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

But both Gerard and Arteta managed to get to the top of one field of endeavor before attempting another.  This Boy Jones has accomplished nothing at a senior level in his entire life.  Like i said, I hope he does it, lets see what the first six matches bring.

Ok so we are going from one absurd piece of logic to another. 

How many top flight games did Klopp play? None.

How many top flight games did Tuchel play? None.

How many top flight games did Mourinho play? None.

How many top flight games did Rodgers play? None.

Unai Emery, 5 top flight games, never played internationally.

Thomas Frank, never played professionally.

Graham Potter, 8 Pl games I think, none internationally.

Eddie Howe, never played in the top league.

Steve Cooper, played in the Welsh League

David Moyes, highest level played at was 24 games in the Scottish top league for Celtic and then most of his career in the championship. 

Teb haag never got out of the Eredivisie, never played internationally.

De Zerbi, spent most of his career playing Serie B football or even lower. 

Marsch, only ever played in the MLS

So most of the PL managers didn't have stellar playing careers, some of the best managers around didn't have successful playing careers or barely had one at all. 

I mean Lampard and Gerrard probably had the best playing careers around of recent PL managers and are probably two of the worst managers around. 

So yeh great point there........

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

Surely the very best candidate would be Gary Lineker as je has accomplished things at the highest level in two separate fields so by your logic would be an astonishingly good appointment.

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Surely the very best candidate would be Gary Lineker as je has accomplished things at the highest level in two separate fields so by your logic would be an astonishingly good appointment.

Jermaine Jenas would be another excellent candidate plus he’s presented the one show as well so can speak with authority on social issues 

• Like 1

video on social media with a Mic on Nathan Jones during training, very impressive, lots of encouragement of players to enjoy it, show personality and move the ball quickly. We do seem to have a lot of quiet, nice boys so if he can put a bit of personality into the team that's great.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

video on social media with a Mic on Nathan Jones during training, very impressive, lots of encouragement of players to enjoy it, show personality and move the ball quickly. We do seem to have a lot of quiet, nice boys so if he can put a bit of personality into the team that's great.

Thanks for the link 🤣

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I got a very Partridge feeling watching it but there you go

• Like 3

If there is one thing you could say to improve the team in attack from the start of the season it would have to be play faster.

We we’re slow with our passing, cautious. To hear him repeatedly shout quicker, move it quicker is positive. Think that is something we all want to see from the team.

We didn’t look to have patterns of play in our attacking moves or areas we are trying to exploit, that video is about working on attacking patterns, surely that has to be exactly what we need.

Time will tell if he is working on things that will improve results but to hear Jones dealing with two specific issues I think have been a problem is positive.

You can watch that video with preconceived ideas and draw what everyone confirmation you want.  Let’s wait and see what effect he has had on the team before we draw too many conclusions.

Edited by wooley7
Fat fingers.
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, wooley7 said:

If there is one thing you could say to improve the team in attack from the start of the season it would have to be play faster.

We we’re slow with our passing, cautious. To hear him repeatedly shout quicker, move it quicker is positive. Think that is something we all want to see from the team.

We didn’t look to have patterns of play in our attacking moves or areas we are trying to exploit, that video is about working on attacking patterns, surely that has to be exactly what we need.

Time will tell if he is working on things that will improve results but to hear Jones dealing with two specific issues I think have been a problem is positive.

You can watch that video with preconceived ideas and draw what everyone confirmation you want.  Let’s wait and see what effect he has had on the team before we draw too many conclusions.

After that video I can see us bagging hatfuls of goals and Che winning the golden boot 😉

To be honest i dont think our attacking play could be any worse than it was already......could it ?

9 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Compared to the Eddie Howe one, that just sounded like a a Welsh bloke shouting at people to be enthusiastic.

To be fair, it would be pretty ludicrous if any indication of any intricacies of tactics were put up online.

8 hours ago, wooley7 said:

We didn’t look to have patterns of play in our attacking moves

I feel like ralph lost confidence in his own patterns of play. Previously when we had bad spells we fought through it with the same style and turned it around, but this last slump he seemed to give up a lot of the principles he'd built the team around and was constantly changing things. 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

After that video I can see us bagging hatfuls of goals and Che winning the golden boot 😉

Did you see the last chance he fluffed right at the end? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Did you see the last chance he fluffed right at the end? 

The Che Adams Special is a bit weird isn’t it. It takes incredible precision to directly find the goalkeeper every-time the way he does. It comes to the point where i’d rather he shot wide so that we know he can actually try hit the corners. 

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

The Che Adams Special is a bit weird isn’t it. It takes incredible precision to directly find the goalkeeper every-time the way he does. It comes to the point where i’d rather he shot wide so that we know he can actually try hit the corners. 

I think they should give him a shock collar or something, every time he hits it at the keeper in training he gets a shock.... Surely that would lead to a positive improvement in his finishing?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

What an appalling way to run a training session none of our players looked impressed by the bellicose nonsense spewing out of Jones' mouth. Impossible to love a manager who acts like a 3rd grade Sunday league bully boy. This one size fits all shouting match will achieve nothing at this level. Worst of all he comes across as a thick back street lout.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What an appalling way to run a training session none of our players looked impressed by the bellicose nonsense spewing out of Jones' mouth. Impossible to love a manager who acts like a 3rd grade Sunday league know-all. This one size fits all shouting match will achieve nothing at this level. Worst of all he comes across as a thick back street bully boy.

do you find it weird when he calls players by their full names? It’s like he’s a fan that’s won a competition to train with them and he’s starstruck 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Initially i liked the look of what he was after in that video. However, after re-watching it, t doesn't look like a single player in the video is actually listening to him, Lyanco and Diallo actually look bored / rather unimpressed when he is speaking, and i don't think there was any meaningful sign of the smiles/enjoyment he was trying to encourage in them? Possibly a concern - But equally its hard to gauge much from a short clip and hopefully that's reading too much into it - probably just the media team selecting only certain kinds of shots. Bound to be a few players who don't suit the new manager, ditto some that will offer exactly what's he's after... I guess we will find out whether we get the required changes/improvements over the next few weeks at any rate! 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4