Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Guess it's all about levels and expectations. He obviously got Luton punching well above their weight and you can see why they are impressed with him. No coincidence that he leaves and for the second time he implodes.

To me it seems a matter of some clubs just fit. Jones strikes me as the sort that likes full egotistical control. He cannot run a club with other egos or players who know they deserve a level of greatness and are not ready to pander to Jones and see him as all high and mighty straight away. See the current issues with our Croatian internationals and Lavia who is praised highly by everyone. It’s almost as if having the pressure of knowing the players at your disposal are talented is too much for Jones. Then you have the fact Luton fans respect and love him, Jones feeds off that confidence and with us Saints fans he cannot take it that he needs to win us over. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Jones knew what the squad was before he joined. If he didn’t like it he didn’t have to join. Therefore it’s his squad now.

Well strangely he appeared to know nothing about the squad at all when he joined and did little or no research on previous games for several weeks if even at all…

He even had a week off as soon as he started and did little or no research.

All this obvious from what he has told us and the personnel he has picked plus the bigging up of Janny B…. Which had not a shred of logic to it…

I’m afraid he is unprofessional in every respect that us fans can see. 

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, SaintJakko said:

To me it seems a matter of some clubs just fit. Jones strikes me as the sort that likes full egotistical control. He cannot run a club with other egos or players who know they deserve a level of greatness and are not ready to pander to Jones and see him as all high and mighty straight away. See the current issues with our Croatian internationals and Lavia who is praised highly by everyone. It’s almost as if having the pressure of knowing the players at your disposal are talented is too much for Jones. Then you have the fact Luton fans respect and love him, Jones feeds off that confidence and with us Saints fans he cannot take it that he needs to win us over. 

And he has done fuck all in this regard. So instead, he keeps trotting out the same shit about his Luton performance and xG to try and convince us that he's competent.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SaintJakko said:

Yeah would agree with that. I know it shouldn't matter, but he never played at the top level, never played for Wales which in itself is pretty staggering giving how shit they were in his playing days. He has never been around players at the top level and it shows. This experiment of getting a manager in from a lower league was what we were doing twenty or thirty years ago. I just don't understand why we are doing it now, and more importantly why Ankersen thougt it was a good idea. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yeah would agree with that. I know it shouldn't matter, but he never played at the top level, never played for Wales which in itself is pretty staggering giving how shit they were in his playing days. He has never been around players at the top level and it shows. This experiment of getting a manager in from a lower league was what we were doing twenty or thirty years ago. I just don't understand why we are doing it now, and more importantly why Ankersen thougt it was a good idea. 

Top internationals fresh from the World Cup managed by a rooky was never going to work

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

Yep it really shows how stupid and irrational most people on here are, Ralph wasn’t at fault for losses because it wasn’t his squad and the poor managers before him

yet all these people are completely blaming Jones for everything wrong (and yes I agree Jones is useless).

these people are also silent on the form since the Norwich game thread, of which Ralph presided over

There's no such thing as a manager owning a squad in modern Premier League football and we haven't had a manager like that since George Burley. Sure, every manager gets his own pet right back but squads are built by directors of football with large scouting departments and transfer strategies.

Your argument is a non-sequitur, nobody is blaming Jones for the squad he has assembled or our recruitment in general. What we are blaming him for is a complete ineptitude and inability to extract any sort of performance from the players we do have. More worryingly he also seems to be stubbornly refusing to accept he's cocked it up and instead spreads the blame around other people for not being able to play his way.

• Like 11

Bringing in Bree just adds to all this. Bree shouts the type of player EXACTLY that Jones likes to work with. Nothing more, nothing less. Not that I am hating on Bree at all, this is no fault of his own and from what I’ve watched he gives it his all, even if he isn’t really Prem standard. 

• Like 1

After listening to Rasmus at the fans forum, I was minded to reconsider my opinion on Jones.

Trouble is, the more I think about it, the stronger I feel that he isn’t the right manager for us.  Rasmus wanted someone to improve us defensively and I n set-pieces, so he hired some no-mark with no top-level experience.  It was, and remains, a terrible appointment.

He has my support for Saturday. I’m a Saints fan, of course he does.  Unfortunately, I can’t see anything but another defeat.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There's no such thing as a manager owning a squad in modern Premier League football and we haven't had a manager like that since George Burley. Sure, every manager gets his own pet right back but squads are built by directors of football with large scouting departments and transfer strategies.

Your argument is a non-sequitur, nobody is blaming Jones for the squad he has assembled or our recruitment in general. What we are blaming him for is a complete ineptitude and inability to extract any sort of performance from the players we do have. More worryingly he also seems to be stubbornly refusing to accept he's cocked it up and instead spreads the blame around other people for not being able to play his way.

Great post.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

After listening to Rasmus at the fans forum, I was minded to reconsider my opinion on Jones.

Trouble is, the more I think about it, the stronger I feel that he isn’t the right manager for us.  Rasmus wanted someone to improve us defensively and I n set-pieces, so he hired some no-mark with no top-level experience.  It was, and remains, a terrible appointment.

He has my support for Saturday. I’m a Saints fan, of course he does.  Unfortunately, I can’t see anything but another defeat.  

You can't improve any team defensively if you continue to pick Lyanco and Bednarek 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

To be fair, there are a lot of them also recognising voluntarily that a) he is abrasive and rubs people up the wrong way, b) works better with an older head around him and c) has absolutely stitched himself up with his ridiculous press conference last Saturday.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/former-forest-and-qpr-boss-paul-hart-leaves-his-role-as-luton-town-academy-director-4013309

Watch this space...be interesting to see if he comes in to help NJ out for a few months!

24 minutes ago, SaintJakko said:

Bringing in Bree just adds to all this. Bree shouts the type of player EXACTLY that Jones likes to work with. Nothing more, nothing less. Not that I am hating on Bree at all, this is no fault of his own and from what I’ve watched he gives it his all, even if he isn’t really Prem standard. 

To be honest, I think that signing was opportunist more than anything else on our part - very cheap because of his contract situation at Luton, fills a position that is a short-term problem because of injuries and also has many of the attributes the manager seems to demand that certainly aren't present in our current full back options. If we retain both KWP and Livramento beyond the summer then he's probably a player we'd look to move on (or loan) next season but if there's transfer interest in either of those then he can provide backup for the other.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

To be honest, I think that signing was opportunist more than anything else on our part - very cheap because of his contract situation at Luton, fills a position that is a short-term problem because of injuries and also has many of the attributes the manager seems to demand that certainly aren't present in our current full back options. If we retain both KWP and Livramento beyond the summer then he's probably a player we'd look to move on (or loan) next season but if there's transfer interest in either of those then he can provide backup for the other.

I think that very much depends on what League we are in next season. If we go down, and Jones is still here, would expect Bree to still be here. KWP goes in any situation and just depends on what state Livramento is in on who becomes the regular starter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainchris said:

Well strangely he appeared to know nothing about the squad at all when he joined and did little or no research on previous games for several weeks if even at all…

He even had a week off as soon as he started and did little or no research.

All this obvious from what he has told us and the personnel he has picked plus the bigging up of Janny B…. Which had not a shred of logic to it…

I’m afraid he is unprofessional in every respect that us fans can see. 

Fair points. Perhaps I should  have said that he ought to have known what he was getting into. If he didn’t then it’s impossible to have any sympathy for him.

Bednarek and Bree are definitely his decisions.

What I want to know is if we ended up with Janny B whatever happened to Janny A?

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He has my support for Saturday. I’m a Saints fan, of course he does

I think the same. 

I really dont understand those saying we "need to lose" - what??

I'm thinking that I'm unlikely to see the whole game as if there is someone near me with the approach to boo the team whilst the game is in progress then there will be without doubt a bit or an argument or something. I cant just stand by and listen to that 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

For sure, cannot argue with that piece of business. It was a bargain gap fill, and provides great cover with Livramento out for the rest of the season as you have said. 

With a fully fit KWP and Perraud, it has to be a given those two are played in their natural positions over him though. 

47 minutes ago, SaintJakko said:

so based on the number of minutes played you must have made the same conclusion to pretty much every signing this January as well because none of them have pulled up any trees. 

43 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

"Hart was appointed as permanent manager of Portsmouth on a two-year contract on 21 July 2009.In the 2009–10 season, however, Portsmouth, a club in turmoil and on the brink of administration, had the worst ever start by a Premier League team, losing their first seven league games. On 24 November 2009, with only two Premier League wins in 13 games and three points adrift at the bottom of the table, Hart was sacked." Yes, I can just see him being brought here to help Jones administer the final rites.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

It isn’t his squad though. 

Which brings us back to the squad/transfer choices. Obviously, Bree is a Jones choice. Were Orsic, Alcarez, Tall Paul and Speedy his choices as well, or will he disown them and say they were foisted on him? Assume he wanted Janny B back? That's half the 11 that he takes ownership for. At what point does he feel responsible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’d say the team has my support - not the manager - I’m a Saints fan - not the managers fan 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Thomas Frank proves that it doesnt matter. Never played professionally. However he wasnt thrown into the PL deep end. I personally reckon if Jones had been brought in during the summer when the pressure was alot less, the players/fans would have been a bit more receptive of his appointment. Being thrown into a relegation dogfight in your first top flight job was never going to end well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Thomas Frank proves that it doesnt matter. Never played professionally. However he wasnt thrown into the PL deep end. I personally reckon if Jones had been brought in during the summer when the pressure was alot less, the players/fans would have been a bit more receptive of his appointment. Being thrown into a relegation dogfight in your first top flight job was never going to end well.

Disagree with you. Jones should never have been under consideration for the job. The only remotely good thing about your scenario would be that he would have been sacked by now. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

In the 2nd half at Newcastle he looked that he developed an understanding down the right and played some intricate passing moves. Recall Gerry Forest joining and I recall the quotes from fans then saying, 'bought him as we are building for Division 1 (before Chammpionship)' 

I think Bree will turn out ok, he will not be a Lee Todd......hopefully another who followed his manager here

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Disagree with you. Jones should never have been under consideration for the job. The only remotely good thing about your scenario would be that he would have been sacked by now. 

Where did I say he should have been considered for the job? 🤷🏼‍♂️ I merely presented a hypothetical situation and what that likely would have meant

27 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It would have been an appalling appointment in the summer too. There is literally zero time he would have ever been a decent appointment unless we were in League 1. 

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Did you forget that Ankersen is so much cleverer than any of us?

3 hours ago, SaintJakko said:

To paraphrase, "with the greatest respect, respect is earned".

Edited by Saint86

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Did you forget that Ankersen is so much cleverer than any of us?

He must be. There was me hoping we'd bring in an experienced (and possibly relatively successful) coach with top flight knowledge preferably gained in the Premier League to drag us from our current malaise and then build into next season having turned our fortunes around when what we actually needed was a shit former lower league player who did fairly well at Luton. Probably why I don't recruit football managers...

• Haha 2

On 27/12/2022 at 21:07, AlexLaw76 said:

The above is a quote from Jones....no massive problems.

The man is an idiot.

every time i read these Jones quotes it just makes my blood boil. I'd instantly sack anybody who says stuff like that because it demonstrates complete lack of awareness and no willingness to address issues to improve things. It's defensive behaviour designed to stop him having to confront issues (because he thinks it would reflect personally on him if he acknowledges there are issues and also because he has no clue what to do to address those issues)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alright Dave said:

He said look the stats up yourself, followed by we met all the stats the board were looking for from us with a smug grin on his face, then when asked what they are, he said all of them.

The guy is a total bell end.

Only stat i want to see is P and 45

• Like 2

With all due respect, I couldn’t care less that you’re a religious man or not, it’s clearly not helping your ability as a manager. I don’t want to hear it, you’re an embarrassment.

I don’t mention I’m an atheist every 5 minutes.

get out our club you utter tool 

• Like 2

• AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones