Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The funniest thing about his selection and tactical switch to a back four is that we’ve ended up with our 4th and 5th best centre backs as our two centre backs. 
As well as not playing our best left back, playing our best right back at left back and then left wing, a centre back at left back, and our best holding midfielder on the bench.

Aside from that, it’s a tactical master class.

I mean, it’s a pretty damning summary, but when you write it down it’s just incredible really.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mikey88 said:

Hard for him though (and likewise Orsic when he has played) when all of our build up play completely bypasses the midfield and purely relies on big hoofs up top. 

All three of them have been a mile off Bruno, Longstaff and Joelinton. Ridiculous space being afforded

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The funniest thing about his selection and tactical switch to a back four is that we’ve ended up with our 4th and 5th best centre backs as our two centre backs. 
As well as not playing our best left back, playing our best right back at left back and then left wing, a centre back at left back, and our best holding midfielder on the bench.

Aside from that, it’s a tactical master class.

Maybe the master plan is to lure Newcastle into a false sense of security by playing completely dogshit for a half and then switching up at half time??? Straws.... Clutching....

Would have been nice to start the game with 4 at the back instead of 5. What the persistence is with that I don't know. 

Pretty awful half and crazy team selection. Perraud can do no more and still can't get in the supposedly " strongest lineup ".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

He doesn't seem to realise that Lavia is a better player than Diallo. That says it all for me. I remain resolutely Jones OUT.

Charlie not been good tonight either. It's not all Diallo. terrible defence and weak midfield & attack. Baffling team selection

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Turned my stream off. Absolutely dog shit. Playing 3 at the back doesn't suit us, and didn't suit us before, with Bednarek playing. Giving a championship full back his debut, while leaving the Mom from Sunday on the bench, and moving your best rb to Lb?? That is on a par with branfoot moving Le Tiss to left wing to accommodate Perry Groves. The man is a born again, Welsh mining fuckwitt.

I wish he was born again, in Nepal!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That was awful. In and out of possession was a shambles. We knew who and how they were going to play and we have been wide open. 5 atb and giving momentum from the kick off with 55,000 geordies behind them when we're 1 nil down!!

We just havent been coached. I now understand what his 'aggression and front footed' means....run blindly around, leaving huge gaps with no structure at all. 

We can expect more for all the time he has had with them

• Like 4

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic