Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

Really demoralising for anyone having to sit through that 20 mins, as worst as I've ever seen.

The biggest problem in this half has been that diabolical midfield. Diallo being Diallo, not good enough. JWP trying to play high up, but getting caught. Alcaraz terrible on the ball, looks just like you'd expect a 20 year old kid to look in a game like this.

Lyanco though, holy jesus. How can he still get picked? The guy is beyond bad. Bednarek being Bednarek as well, ball watching, getting done by pace and turned. Terrible player as we all knew.

Bree, hmm - wtf? Anyway....2nd half, keep the score down?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Never get this have a free kick on half way line, pass all the way back to keeper to wallop it back to opposition

absolutely this. Possession is important, but we just lose it anyway in a deeper position.

Ok to do it when the opponents don't press or are tired, but when they are all over you, just go forward from the free kick.

• Like 1

They are obviously miles better than us and we started with a stupid formation but we really don't help ourselves with completely shit passing. Time and again we give the ball away needlessly. 

Salisu and Diallo seem to be the main culprits but pretty much all of them are capable of knocking an easy pass 5 yards away from where it should be.

• Like 2

How many games has this idiot cost us with this stupid formation that everyone else can see does not work? It is totally brainless and suggests he cannot see what the hell is going on. Every time we use the 3/5 at the back it stinks. Each time it is changed to 4 at the back it is (marginally) better. What goes through a managers head to think that trying the same failed rubbish over and over again is going to make a difference? It is literally crazy. 

Oh, and it is also genius to give someone a debut away at Newcastle in a cup semi. Just normal, everyday stuff going on here. Manager sits down and thinks, "yeah, let's give a lower league right back his debut in a semi final, so I can then play my best right back at left back and leave my best left back on the bench as a reward for a great game at the weekend." Total genius.

• Like 7

Just now, Saint NL said:

Seeing the goals again, Armstrong for the first sums this team up. He just stopped and whined at someone else.

Armstrong has been terrible this half, the experiment of playing him in his supposed position through the middle has run it's course. What a waste of £15m he was. Wouldn't even want him in the Championship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

They are obviously miles better than us and we started with a stupid formation but we really don't help ourselves with completely shit passing. Time and again we give the ball away needlessly. 

Salisu and Diallo seem to be the main culprits but pretty much all of them are capable of knocking an easy pass 5 yards away from where it should be.

the first goal was because we gave the ball away so cheaply in our own half. We killed ourselves.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tanlee said:

Neither for or against Jones at present but I find the support for a manager who lost twice 9-0 to at  goodish Leicester side and a bang average utd fucking weird. Short memories 

I loved Ralph but the the venom from our fans is weird. Same for the sh1t Brees got so far. It’s his debut.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Seeing the goals again, Armstrong for the first sums this team up. He just stopped and whined at someone else.

There's so many mistakes for that goal, complete shambles. 

We have 3 midfielders and none of them tracked Longstaff for either goal. Salisu ran to mark the wrong player for the first goal. 

Mostly comes from poor organisation and not knowing roles, possibly from playing 5 at the back.

There is literally no point in the CBs pulling wide, when they dont have the ability/confidence to play through the press. Thinking we're Man City, only to just pump it 50 yards which Bazunu could do. The mind boggles. Hope when big Paul arrives we'll just play it long from the goal kick

• Like 1

Just now, saintant said:

Both should have started.

Exactly, why do we have to go through this routine with the starting 11 every time. It was inevitable to me that the midfield would be gobbled up and spat out, and that's exactly what happened. How can a coach paid more than I could ever dream of not seeing that?

I miss Ralph.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Bit early to write Bree off totally. Don’t know why he’s getting pelters. It’s his debut. He’s been sh1te, but one game? Cmon.

Should not have been selected (except for back up) - nor Diallo, nor Bednarek, nor Lyanco.

• Like 1

Personally I think Diallo and Lyanco have been ok.

Bree debut is concerning, hopefully it is just making his debut in that hot mess of a 5-3-2 that everyone looked lost. Us bringing back the useless bednarek and playing him over DCC insane.

Still not a fan of Bazanu. Gives me kittens constantly. That one where he accidently stopped a goal with his face when he came stupidly for the corner would have been funny if i wasn't a saints fan.

Don't see much point in throwing Lavia on unless we get another goal back.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, jabei said:

Charlie not been good tonight either. It's not all Diallo. terrible defence and weak midfield & attack. Baffling team selection

Don't disagree but the point of the post stands and the 2nd bit in bold reinforces it. He's clueless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

I loved Ralph but the the venom from our fans is weird. Same for the sh1t Brees got so far. It’s his debut.

Think thats the issue. Its a massive game to throw somebody into on their debut, after training with the team for a couple of days. It hasnt worked and the manager needs to own that

• Like 2

Jones is functioning like a manager who doesn’t report to anybody – at least anybody with any understanding of the game. It’s mind-blowing that he’s allowed to persist with formations that are clearly suicidal. Starting Bree, who’s never played at anywhere near this level, when he has an established RB and LB at his disposal was absolutely mental. Ralph was hammered for not having a Plan B, but for 80% of his games Jones’s Plan A has been dreadful. He seems hell-bent on playing to our weaknesses with his Back 3/Back 5 shit.

My question is this: Who does Jones report to on the playing and tactical side, other than his own inflated ego?

• Like 3

At least I have a small consolation. Did a couple of quid on Longstaff to score any time at 15/2 and a quid at 100/1 on him to score two or more. Only did it cos Longstaff is usually crap and hardly ever scores, thought he’d have a chance tonight with Saints turning up.

Not sure my £4 on Saints to win from behind at 45/1 is going to happen unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

There's so many mistakes for that goal, complete shambles. 

We have 3 midfielders and none of them tracked Longstaff for either goal. Salisu ran to mark the wrong player for the first goal. 

Mostly comes from poor organisation and not knowing roles, possibly from playing 5 at the back.

the five at the back means forward players have more players to cover, so at some point a CB has to pick up a midfielder, but often its just too late - see second goal. Armstrong doesn't track and Bednarek can't step out to Longstaff quick enough (not his fault). You have players back, but usually one if not marking anyone, but midfield runners are not picked up. It's a bullshit formation. Instead of providing overloads it just leaves gaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Jeez Sky coverage is 90% Newcastle. FFS. Even more reason to hope we stuff their hopes and dreams up where the sun don’t shine.

So is beIN Sports. They can't believe that Saints scored. Literally "that is unbelievable, Pope has NOT conceded for ten games; who would have thought that the team bottom of the table would have scored past him?"

Well, we did. Get over it.

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Think thats the issue. Its a massive game to throw somebody into on their debut, after training with the team for a couple of days. It hasnt worked and the manager needs to own that

It's especially baffling when you consider that Bree was only signed as emergency backup while Tino is still injured. To throw him in tonight, at the expense of a FB who was our best player on Saturday, is just mental.

So Perraud comes on for Lyanco and now we are onto our 4th different defensive formation of the evening. Wonderful.

• Like 3

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic