Ruben Selles

Dusic

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Ralph is the reason we’re deep in the shit.

If anyone thinks we’d be any different today if Ralph was in charge, they’re deluded. That today was Ralphball pure and simple, we ended last season playing this way and started this one the same, both under the great man…..

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Dman said:

If form Hadn’t been an absolute disgrace for the second half of last season, when selles wasn’t at the club, you might just have had a theory. 

But we were already safe by then and the lack of investment for years was starting to hurt us. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We can change the manager but the only way we can shift the players is relegation. Honestly think it will be a blessing in disguise for us. I don't enjoy watching these losers, at least we would have a semi-decent team next season. And then from there we can rebuild.

I wish I could share the same “blessing in disguise” optimism you think relegation will bring to this club. 

This is how I see it going: investment will pull out despite what Ankersen has pledged, the turgid football we’ve been churning out for the past couple of seasons will continue, we won’t do a Burnley, we’ll scrape mid-table as it’ll take too long to adjust to the league…

The two transfer windows we’ve had with Sports Republic have been a disaster. How bad will be it in the Championship?

The only way out of this is breaking the bank for a good, proven manager who wants it.  

Selles won’t bring us up, Potter won’t even entertain the idea, Viera is too good for the Championship…

Weirdly, NJ could’ve been a very good solution… if we hired him next season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If anyone thinks we’d be any different today if Ralph was in charge, they’re deluded. That today was Ralphball pure and simple, we ended last season playing this way and started this one the same, both under the great man…..

With more points in 14 games than the other two scored in 17, despite not having Jones' easy run of home games and not having Sully, Paul, Lavia and Alcaraz available? I'll take that over this current mess, I genuinely wish we had a 'finished' manager drawing against Arsenal and winning at Bournemouth.

It baffles me that people can't see just how bad our players are. They aren't losing every game bad, like Jones and Selles have them, but they're bad. 18th and a point off safet, where Ralph left them, is firmly in the territory they belong, whether you like it or not.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

With more points in 14 games than the other two scored in 17, despite not having Jones' easy run of home games and not having Sully, Paul, Lavia and Alcaraz available? I'll take that over this current mess, I genuinely wish we had a 'finished' manager drawing against Arsenal and winning at Bournemouth.

It baffles me that people can't see just how bad our players are. They aren't losing every game bad, like Jones and Selles have them, but they're bad. 18th and a point off safet, where Ralph left them, is firmly in the territory they belong, whether you like it or not.

You cannot possibly compare his run of games with the others.

Drawling against Arsenal and winning at Bournemouth or drawing with Tottenham and winning at Chelsea. Not much in it.

We were the worst premier league team in 2022, virtually all of which was on Ralph. We would have got relegated under Ralph. 
He is still better than either of his successors. Neither of them are remotely capable of being a premier league manager.

None of them have had a premier league standard striker to work with, and nowhere near enough quality to create anything.

All of them have been let down by horrible recruitment.

All of them continue to pick weird teams and tactics.

All of them selected a captain who’d struggle to motivate a stag party to order a drink.

Point being these arguments are futile. Terrible squad, terrible recruitment, terrible board, terrible tactics, terrible player-attitude, 2 terrible managers and one manager who had been good but had been in terrible form for an entire year.

I’m not sure it’s an argument worth having 

• Like 7

Selles needs to have a rethink on the way he wants us to play as the current system is not working. Far too many times we have be left exposed down the flanks. This has been plain to see for a while. The players are more suited to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. This slow build up play and going sideways is so frustrating to watch. 

Edited by davefizzy14

Where the board completely screwed up after the jones debacle was not going for a manager that would have at least United the fan base somewhat. Getting the fans on side was an absolute must and ankerson and semmens went for the easy option in selles, even worse going all in after he wins one match, that was criminal.  I know many fans would disagree but I’d have gone for adkins, I don’t think he could have done any worse than selles and at least played front foot footy when he was here. We needed a style change. Selles thinks he’s more clever than pep and keeps coming up with some baffling line ups.

today proved a point in that selles was outdone by Roy.. selles was loosing his shit on the sideline whilst Roy was measured and in control. He didn’t need to jump around as the palace players were well coached and knew what they needed to do and where to be, us on the other hand were a mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You cannot possibly compare his run of games with the others.

Drawling against Arsenal and winning at Bournemouth or drawing with Tottenham and winning at Chelsea. Not much in it.

I agree, not much in it. The difference is that the former was apparently at the nadir of a man who was finished and had to be fired. The latter was basically the pinnacle of anything either if his two replacements have achieved.

I really wouldn’t have minded if there was some top European coach, willing to come in and turn us around but there wasn’t. It was a sacking for the sake of change in the vague hope that we might improve just because. It’s hardly as if the teams around us have been unearthing obviously better options either. Dyche is scarcely an improvement on Lampard. Leicester have Smith, Palace have Roy, Christ even Chelsea could do little other than shrug their shoulders and bring back Lamps.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2023 at 21:33, madge said:

Where the board completely screwed up after the jones debacle was not going for a manager that would have at least United the fan base somewhat. Getting the fans on side was an absolute must and ankerson and semmens went for the easy option in selles, even worse going all in after he wins one match, that was criminal.  I know many fans would disagree but I’d have gone for adkins, I don’t think he could have done any worse than selles and at least played front foot footy when he was here. We needed a style change. Selles thinks he’s more clever than pep and keeps coming up with some baffling line ups.

today proved a point in that selles was outdone by Roy.. selles was loosing his shit on the sideline whilst Roy was measured and in control. He didn’t need to jump around as the palace players were well coached and knew what they needed to do and where to be, us on the other hand were a mess.

Seriously why do people keep suggesting him? He left 10 years ago and has been terrible in every job since. He's a very nice chap and did a good job here once but he isn't the answer now, i've got no idea why people think he is.

• Like 5

So we literally learnt zero from the Jones disaster and went straight to appointing someone else with zero credentials, selles is barely any better than Jones, ankerson is a serial gambler who.thinks he knows better than everyone else and should be nowhere near our club! 

• Like 3

On 17/04/2023 at 18:41, Turkish said:

Seriously why do people keep suggesting him? He left 10 years ago and has been terrible in every job since. He's a very nice chap and did a good job here once but he isn't the answer now, i've got no idea why people think he is.

Exactly that . 

Adkins was fantastic for us , got us promoted twice ( some may say we should have won the league both times rather then finishing 2nd) and many would say those 2 seasons were one of the most enjoyable watching Saints . 

However we now don’t have a Ricky Lambert, a Adam Lallana, a Morgan schneiderlin or a Jose fonte .

In fact the team that got promoted from league one would probably beat our current team . 

As you say Adkins has done nothing since . 

Still one of our finest managers but he wouldn’t be the success he was the 1st time . 

• Like 5

We are in a relegation battle and need to win matches I know let's not play any strikers..... 

Years spent obtaining coaching badges to make such doughnut decisions 🤣🤣🤣

You couldn't make it up 

The whole club is a joke currently 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

selles is holding us back and he’s so thick he doesn’t even realise it. play…a… striker. He probably thinks we won the last few games on “most useless passes”.

This one amused me Selles points to Guardiola's Man City success for striker-less Saints | Daily Echo

If it's good enough for Man City it's good enough for us. :lol::facepalm:

It worked for Pep Guardiola because he has got loads of attacking players and midfielders that can score as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gordonToo said:

The game's all about having good players and scoring goals. No manager on earth could make a silk purse out of the current set up.

You could use the resources much more effectively than Selles or the previous idiot does / did.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

You could use the resources much more effectively than Selles or the previous idiot does / did.

Which manager that is currently available (or even that isn't!!) is going to give us title winning form of four wins from five games in just over a week with the squad?

And why the fuck didn't we choose that guy instead of Nathan fucking Jones, let alone Selles?

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Absolutely.  Bloody square pegs in round holes or no pegs at all is killing us. It's not just Selles, not one manager since Koeman has known his best team except a short spell with Ralph which he couldn't repeat. Tinker, Tinker, Tinker all the time. We're going to see the same thing again tonight and more of the same on Thursday and so on. It's a simple game just stop complicating it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Toussaint said:

While survival is still mathematically a possibility we should make the change now, we have zero likelihood of survival  with this chancer in charge. 

Not much point getting rid now as no manager in the world could keep us up now imo, start a fresh season with a completely fresh team with someone who actually has the ability to get us back up from the championship 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Which manager that is currently available (or even that isn't!!) is going to give us title winning form of four wins from five games in just over a week with the squad?

And why the fuck didn't we choose that guy instead of Nathan fucking Jones, let alone Selles?

Well, the way I see it is Selles is a chancer and full of it, with him we are 100% certain to get relegated. So, with 21 points left to play for, If I were in control, would do anything within my power to stop that happening. Forget the reset, that is far from guaranteed. 

Who is this manager? I have no idea, but there must be several candidates out there who could offer more than Selles, even if they fancy a short term challenge, a chance to raise their profile, a chance to manage in the prem, the possibilities are endless. (see Roy Hodgson)

Why didn't we hire that manager? I think that's obvious, to me anyway, because Rasmus is the most arrogant of smart arses who believs he knows better and wants to be a manager by proxy, this time, he should be nowhere near the decision who comes in in hour hour of need. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Not much point getting rid now as no manager in the world could keep us up now imo, start a fresh season with a completely fresh team with someone who actually has the ability to get us back up from the championship 

You could equally argue there is no point in keeping him if we have accepted relegation. Unless it is to provide continuity with the useless, failed "playbook".

On 15/04/2023 at 19:49, Lighthouse said:

This is pretty spot on. 

47 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

You could equally argue there is no point in keeping him if we have accepted relegation. Unless it is to provide continuity with the useless, failed "playbook".

It's clear the players have accepted relegation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Somebody has to manage the team, that’s how we ended up with Selles. We’ve already played the ‘going down so no point in keeping him’ card when we sacked Jones and gave Selles the job until summer.

Personally I hope those making the key decisions are having a breather and a good hard rethink. We know the task in hand, we’ve got four months to prepare ourselves for it.

2 hours ago, derry said:

Absolutely.  Bloody square pegs in round holes or no pegs at all is killing us. It's not just Selles, not one manager since Koeman has known his best team except a short spell with Ralph which he couldn't repeat. Tinker, Tinker, Tinker all the time. We're going to see the same thing again tonight and more of the same on Thursday and so on. It's a simple game just stop complicating it.

How would you set the team up to score more goals than they concede?

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Somebody has to manage the team, that’s how we ended up with Selles. We’ve already played the ‘going down so no point in keeping him’ card when we sacked Jones and gave Selles the job until summer.

Personally I hope those making the key decisions are having a breather and a good hard rethink. We know the task in hand, we’ve got four months to prepare ourselves for it.

I think that was too early to throw in the towel, I also don’t believe that was the case. It’s feasible that Rasmus is so arrogant he actually believed a compliant “coach” , popular with the players, applying the corporate playbook would be successful. And it did look that way, briefly. 

47 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think that was too early to throw in the towel, I also don’t believe that was the case. It’s feasible that Rasmus is so arrogant he actually believed a compliant “coach” , popular with the players, applying the corporate playbook would be successful. And it did look that way, briefly

It really didn’t. We were composed and professional in the Chelsea game but only actually found the net from a JWP free kick. That was immediately followed by a couple of awful defeats to Leeds and Grimsby. He got four somewhat fortuitous points against Leicester and United, since then we’ve been crap.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

It really didn’t. We were composed and professional in the Chelsea game but only actually found the net from a JWP free kick. That was immediately followed by a couple of awful defeats to Leeds and Grimsby. He got four somewhat fortuitous points against Leicester and United, since then we’ve been crap.

I literally meant that game, the result, not the performance. I was there. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles