Ruben Selles

Dusic

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We could offer him a project he couldn’t refuse, The same one we’re going to offer Potter 🤣🤣

Anyone who thinks Potter or Rodgers will go anywhere near us needs sectioning. But the worrying thing is people who want Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Sunderland or even fucking Blackburns manager  are starting to look deluded. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Anyone who thinks Potter or Rodgers will go anywhere near us needs sectioning. But the worrying thing is people who want Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Sunderland or even fucking Blackburns manager  are starting to look deluded. 

Assuming we replace Selles, who would you want and who could we get? 

5 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Assuming we replace Selles, who would you want and who could we get? 

I don’t agree with the line that it’ll be one of the best jobs in The Championship. I think there’s a number of jobs that’ll be as good, if not better. They’ll be a lot of expectations & losing is hardwired into the club the past 2 or 3 years. 

Burnley looked a mess last season, sacked a long standing manager, before a slight uptick and then relegated. Maybe we could follow a similar blue print with Jose Fonte, maybe James Milner or somebody similar. Of course Kompany was a better player & also managed Anderlecht for a bit as well, but provided a bit of experience was added to the back room team I wouldn’t be against that.

It’s probably Selles job to lose with an abject run in, but if we’re within a point of two & his points per game ratio would have kept us up over 38 games I imagine he’ll get the gig. But again, he’ll need a grey beard next to him (not Nigel Adkins, before anyone starts). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

Anyone who thinks that attacking front four, was the best we could put out, lives in cloud Cuckoo land. Selles is not the manager we need.

The team selection and tactics were moronic. If that's the best Selles can come up with he needs to study successful management and chuck the statistical crap in the bin along with the obsession with own half possession and Elyonoussie.

• Like 3

To win promotion from the Championship, you need to attack and try to win games. In 11-12 we won 26 of our 46 games, were the highest scorers with 85 in 46. I don't think Selles' tactics can do that. We've got nothing to lose now, we've been 20th ever since he took charge and still are. Yet, the football I'm watching is like we're playing for draws/trying to stay in the game for as long as possible. There isn't another side in this division who doesn't start their best 11 because of the new 5 sub rule. Yet, we've seemingly been leaving the inconsistent, but dangerous players on the bench, to start the more conservative Elyounoussi to then bring the inconsistent, but dangerous players on when we're losing and the other team is sat back all season. It's a tactic that simply hasn't worked, we're always chasing the game and Selles has been here all season too, so really he doesn't have an excuse. Yesterday, Elyounoussi played 54 minutes, against Tottenham, 70, Brentford before that 58, hauled off at half time by Jones against Brentford away. It's like Selles sees he's the problem in the match, yet he starts him every week hoping for something different.

Alcaraz, who only joined in January is already our third highest goal scorer in the league. How does he get rewarded? Benched for shit players who can't do anything but give the ball away at this level. I know Alcaraz isn't the finished article and gives the ball away himself, but at least he has the ability to actually do something.

He's essentially the 2023 Mark Wotte. Yes, he's an improvement on Jones, as Wotte was an improvement on Poortvliet, as it's hard to get much worse. But, neither should be here in the long-term. Thank him and say our goodbyes at the end of the season. Only worry is this board aren't known for their ruthlessness and will probably hand out one of their charitable contracts. Only last September Djenepo was given a new three year deal because he had to start the season at left-back. Now, nowhere to be seen again.

• Like 16

If I was the board I’d be questioning even giving him until the end of the season atm.  We spent all of January trying to strengthen spending 60 m on players to give us our best shot of surviving,now selles team selections are making pretty much the whole January transfer dealings and 60 m pound spent a complete waste of time.   
how does that make you feel if you are ankersson??

Yes the board have made a lot of mistakes this season but they did at least put their hands in their pockets in January to try and give us what we needed but now selles seems to have decided with some of them getting not even three starts that we are better off using players who are hundred percent proven not good enough 

absolutely cowardly team selections with a poor impersonation of hasenhuttl tactics is just gonna bring exactly what we expect it will 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, HKsaint said:

His failure to make use of the tallest and fastest players which we bought in the January window for start is already unforgivable. 

If only he could've thrown on Vestergaard and Jonno Quick.

Pretty sure you need a bit more than a single attribute to be any good.

Our tallest and fastest players have thus contributed the grand total of fuck all. No goals. No assists. In spite of their impressive tallness and fastness.

Unforgivable indeed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

He’s just  Hasenhuttl MK2….part of the problem,not the solution. 

Agreed he’s ralph but worse. what’s the point in sacking ralph if you hire this guy a few months later? should’ve gone for a different style of attacking approach. his hiring was basically the board clicking the go back button and admitting they’d wish they hadn’t sacked ralph. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

He’s just  Hasenhuttl MK2….part of the problem,not the solution. 

He is, and Ralph ball was rumbled half way through last season, I can pinpoint it to Norwich home, yes we won, but they pretty much worked out how to nullify us, and so has every team since.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Agreed he’s ralph but worse. what’s the point in sacking ralph if you hire this guy a few months later? should’ve gone for a different style of attacking approach. his hiring was basically the board clicking the go back button and admitting they’d wish they hadn’t sacked ralph. 

Should have just gone for an attacking approach. Not sure RS has one

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toussaint said:

He is, and Ralph ball was rumbled half way through last season, I can pinpoint it to Norwich home, yes we won, but they pretty much worked out how to nullify us, and so has every team since.

Disagree. We were 13th for xG and 15th for goals conceded when he was sacked. The only reason we were struggling was our attackers had us 18th for goals scored. Ralph struggled since Ings was injured and sold, and then for a brief period he had an inform youngster in Broja... who has since left - and neither of those was ever adequately replaced. With a good focal point to the attack, Ralph showed plenty of times that he could overdeliver with the rest of the squad. Sadly this season we had che adams (I like but he can't finish), mara, walcott, and Armstrong (edit, i forgot Aribo 😄)... Say what you want to that, but the issue wasn't ralph... 🙄🤣, it was the total lack of any kind of meaningful quality attacking talent / threat in the side.

The reality is that the board (#Rasmus) failed Ralph (or indeed any prospective manager) by not signing any decent attacking options in the summer, and by letting Romeu go with no cover at CDM. Ralph also had ABK, KWP, and Lavia out injured, and had to gel a very young and inexperienced squad. What did fans expect when the key injuries started adding up? Despite that, and having played all the best sides bar Liverpool (debateable calling them that this year) in his games, Ralph still had us within 1 game of mid table when he was sacked... his last 2 games at full strength were the Chelsea win and the unlucky loss to united (who we outplayed)... Its hard to imagine those kind of performances now - but how badly we could have used some of those full strength (+£60M Jan top up) ralph ball performances over the past couple of months!! 

Its done now, but i will personally always consider it a mistake to sack him when we did, it wasn't justified this season, and I can only assume the fans who turned on him must have been expecting a top 10 or European charge to consider a few points off mid table as sackable.... The promise of a better manager never materialised, and its seems clear that it was the big turning point towards relegation this season. To me, the whole thing has shades of Hoddle, Sturrock, et al all over again personally - A fanbase massive that didn't know what it was on about (shock horror), and a weak board that caved in to fans and went on to make a series of terrible decisions. Probably topped off by us again having to sell our promising youngsters on the cheap in the lower leagues. But hey - the fans got what they wanted 🤣

Selles just seems to be someone who is only half committed to the high attacking press, so whilst he's unlikely to ever get tonked in the same way Ralph did, he's also unlikely to ever get us effectively generating enough threat to get the points we need this year. Ralph ball was always about everything on the table commitment to the press. For example, under Selles how often do we see KWP or Perraud pressing the oppo full backs or pushed up past the halfway line out of possession? IMO we totally lack for any identity or real threat playing this new ralphball lite approach (i don't even think its reasonable to call it that tbh). We aren't taking enough attacking risks or committing enough bodies forward to score the goals we simply have to score now (chasing the game vs west ham we frequently had 1 player in the box...). And we also seem to have no real identity/hunger/intensity as a club/team anymore - things i would have once said described saints well. Looks like a grim end of the season incoming, but who knows, maybe Selles will just go for it now.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, sledger said:

i agree with some of the things you say but must take issue with one point,ralphs high attacking press was gone long before he was,that may be down to the players he had but it was gone.

Yeah that's fair, but like you say i think it was influenced quite heavily by available personnel. I think the pressure also got to him by the end. Also this weird preference for 5 at the back that seemed to come in over the summer and with Jones. God knows what that was about given Selles has come in and tried to revert back to the playbook.

This season Ralph had 12 points in 14 games, spread out over the season that’ll give you 32/33 points. So it’s clearly not the case we’d have stayed up had we not got rid. We were on a downward spiral, he was finished. 

Selles has 8 in 7, which would equate to 43/44 points (more than Ralph got last season). There’s enough time left to get a bigger sample by the end of the season, so we’ll know more then. He inherited a chaotic situation, a hostile fan base and a pretty woeful run of results. If he’s tracking at the equivalent of 43/44 points for the season, he probably deserves a crack at next year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This season Ralph had 12 points in 14 games, spread out over the season that’ll give you 32/33 points. So it’s clearly not the case we’d have stayed up had we not got rid. We were on a downward spiral, he was finished. 

Selles has 8 in 7, which would equate to 43/44 points (more than Ralph got last season). There’s enough time left to get a bigger sample by the end of the season, so we’ll know more then. He inherited a chaotic situation, a hostile fan base and a pretty woeful run of results. If he’s tracking at the equivalent of 43/44 points for the season, he probably deserves a crack at next year. 

43/44 points in the Championship will most likely see us relegated.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don't agree with your analysis, but 33 points would have us right in the mix at the end of the season regardless. Interpolating the way you have ignores actual performances in games, as well as the key injuries we suffered to lavia, ABK, KWP over the first portion of the season, the fact those 14 games included basically all the top sides, that we were having to gel an extremely young and inexperienced side on the fly. Plus ofc selles/jones benefited from an extra £60M of strengthening in January - as well as Lavia and KWP back fit. So you've essentially taken the toughest period for this side this season and suggested that we would only just have missed survival. Conversely, if we were 13th for xG vs 18th goals scored (with all of the above performance mitigations) - then it doesn't take much to imagine how many more goals / wins we'd have picked up if we'd carried that extra threat this season (i.e. via a striker that could finish and actual CDM cover). Bearing in mind that even 6 more points would lift us to 13th.

So it certainly isn't clear that "he was finished" personally.

Also, the point being made was that whoever was manager, they should have been backed with a striker and CDM in the summer, and that by failing to do that the board essentially failed any prospective manager.

As for Selles, i haven't looked into his in game metrics. But we got very lucky vs Chelsea and Leicester. We certainly are not outplaying sides, we dominate no one (even against 10man united we barely managed to have the lionshare of possession/chances and could have lost), and we seem to lack any real identify of threat. I'm not calling for Selles' head and i acknowledge he's got a tough start and its his first managerial role. I certainly don't blame him for the situation we're in - but then nor is he doing much to impress in all honesty? I suspect that many more lineups like west ham and we'll find support for him diminishing quite quickly.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

The whole "Manager X got 1.7 points per game in their first 15, which must suggest we would have got 60 points" or whatever.

It is like suggesting we were going to win the league when we drew with Arsenal and went top

Reality is clearly different, and Ralph was done the summer gone.

• Like 1

The front four against West Ham was a fucking atrocious decision. No guts, no glory. 

But replacing Danny Ings, Shane Long and Armando Broja with Adam Armstrong, Sekou Mara and Tall Paul Too Late is IMO the reason we're sunk. I think Sekou will come good, and Tall might rip it up in the Championship. Arma already has. But for this season, nah.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He's done nothing, literally nothing, that would make me think he deserves a crack in the Championship. He has no managerial experience anywhere else and his one good performance was away to Chelsea, which seems to be his version of Jones trip to Goodison. We've been hugely lucky to get 5 of those 8 points. If Ihenacho wasn't wearing his grandma's slippers Selles would have 5 from 8, which will be 5 from 10 after we play Arsenal and City.

He wont track 44 points for the season, he's had his slice of luck but on actual merit we look as dreadful as we did under Jones. We'll get relegated, probably some 6 or 7 points off safety when all's said and done, and he'll p*ss off in summer, along with hopefully half our squad.

• Like 3

Any manager worth the name would look at the players available a pick a system that suits and gets the best out of them, playing the same players in the same system that has not worked for this and last season is not too my mind great management.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He's done nothing, literally nothing, that would make me think he deserves a crack in the Championship. He has no managerial experience anywhere else and his one good performance was away to Chelsea, which seems to be his version of Jones trip to Goodison. We've been hugely lucky to get 5 of those 8 points. If Ihenacho wasn't wearing his grandma's slippers Selles would have 5 from 8, which will be 5 from 10 after we play Arsenal and City.

He wont track 44 points for the season, he's had his slice of luck but on actual merit we look as dreadful as we did under Jones. We'll get relegated, probably some 6 or 7 points off safety when all's said and done, and he'll p*ss off in summer, along with hopefully half our squad.

If tall Paul’s header had gone in and not hit the bar, if Walker-Peter’s shot had gone in and not hit the post, if bednerak hadn’t jumped out of the of Leeds shot he’d have had 12 points and be out of the bottom 3

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If tall Paul’s header had gone in and not hit the bar, if Walker-Peter’s shot had gone in and not hit the post, if bednerak hadn’t jumped out of the of Leeds shot he’d have had 12 points and be out of the bottom 3

They’re all mistakes and limitations of our own players, nothing to do with luck. Do you want to go into games next season saying things like, "if Swansea’s best player gets sent off… if West Brom’s strikers miss five great chances…" or do you want a manager who can actually get us out-playing teams?

I dont see how Carrick would be a sensible pick if Boro dont get promoted. He would have the same lack of top flight management experience which Jones and Selles have been criticised for. The fact that he was a decent player matters very little as Lampard and Gerrard have proven

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

I dont see how Carrick would be a sensible pick if Boro dont get promoted. He would have the same lack of top flight management experience which Jones and Selles have been criticised for. The fact that he was a decent player matters very little as Lampard and Gerrard have proven

To be fair Jones had zero top level experience as a player or manager, that was the biggest issue. At least a former player who has been there and done it can speak with some sort of authority, just like a manager who has had success abroad at the top level.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which is why I said we should wait till the end of the season.

He would then had 16 games, that’s a decent number to base a decision on. If he does track at 43/44 you’re basically sacking him because Jones didn’t win enough games. He’d also have a better record this season than Ralph, a bloke you seemed to rate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

They’re all mistakes and limitations of our own players, nothing to do with luck. Do you want to go into games next season saying things like, "if Swansea’s best player gets sent off… if West Brom’s strikers miss five great chances…" or do you want a manager who can actually get us out-playing teams?

I dont want to be in this league the premier league is shit for clubs like us 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aintforever said:

To be fair Jones had zero top level experience as a player or manager, that was the biggest issue. At least a former player who has been there and done it can speak with some sort of authority, just like a manager who has had success abroad at the top level.

Yeah looks how great a manager Frank Lampard is

43 minutes ago, aintforever said:

To be fair being a former player at a top level means absolutely zero when it comes to management. Countless examples of top players who have failed in management. But hey at least they can speak with some authority until they get found out

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I genuinely believe that Ralph would have got more out of our run after Christmas and into the new year, 6 or 7 points out of that lot and we'd be sat on 30 points. I think even Selles would have done better in that period than Jones did, so that's the period that killed us really.

I think it had gone stale with Ralph, 100%, but in my eyes the decision to appoint Jones and give him an entire f**ing pre season is what killed our season dead, we'd have still been in the mix otherwise imo.

• Like 2

On 03/04/2023 at 14:53, HarvSFC said:

To win promotion from the Championship, you need to attack and try to win games. In 11-12 we won 26 of our 46 games, were the highest scorers with 85 in 46. I don't think Selles' tactics can do that. We've got nothing to lose now, we've been 20th ever since he took charge and still are. Yet, the football I'm watching is like we're playing for draws/trying to stay in the game for as long as possible. There isn't another side in this division who doesn't start their best 11 because of the new 5 sub rule. Yet, we've seemingly been leaving the inconsistent, but dangerous players on the bench, to start the more conservative Elyounoussi to then bring the inconsistent, but dangerous players on when we're losing and the other team is sat back all season. It's a tactic that simply hasn't worked, we're always chasing the game and Selles has been here all season too, so really he doesn't have an excuse. Yesterday, Elyounoussi played 54 minutes, against Tottenham, 70, Brentford before that 58, hauled off at half time by Jones against Brentford away. It's like Selles sees he's the problem in the match, yet he starts him every week hoping for something different.

Alcaraz, who only joined in January is already our third highest goal scorer in the league. How does he get rewarded? Benched for shit players who can't do anything but give the ball away at this level. I know Alcaraz isn't the finished article and gives the ball away himself, but at least he has the ability to actually do something.

He's essentially the 2023 Mark Wotte. Yes, he's an improvement on Jones, as Wotte was an improvement on Poortvliet, as it's hard to get much worse. But, neither should be here in the long-term. Thank him and say our goodbyes at the end of the season. Only worry is this board aren't known for their ruthlessness and will probably hand out one of their charitable contracts. Only last September Djenepo was given a new three year deal because he had to start the season at left-back. Now, nowhere to be seen again.

Wotte are you on about. Wotte had a 22.2% win ratio whereas Poorvliet had a 25% one.

On 03/04/2023 at 14:22, HKsaint said:

His failure to make use of the tallest and fastest players which we bought in the January window for start is already unforgivable. 

I suspect he is using them as impact players for a reason, bringing them on when the opposition has tired legs. Real trouble is these players are not making an impact.

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I believe fans sing his name so much as it is a new catchy song - opposed to the 2 others that get sung....and nothing to do with him being a competent manager.

Or maybe they are supporting him, wanting him to do well, getting behind him. 

You could maybe try it too if you got off the internet for 10 minutes and went to a few games.

You can't go on about other teams having good support and then have a pop at our fans when they do sing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I suspect he is using them as impact players for a reason, bringing them on when the opposition has tired legs. Real trouble is these players are not making an impact.

He should at least change our tactics to suit the new players we bought. He is a new manager. More counterattacks to release spaces for Scamacca to run and more long balls for our tall Paul’s headers. Alcaraz should be able to score a few long range goals. What we are doing now which is already proven unsuccessful is very unlikely to bring any goals except a lucky one. Even Messi couldn’t have made any impact here.  We are pathetic. 

• Like 2

On 12/03/2023 at 09:22, saintant said:

Have to disagree with you because I think Bednarek is awful on the ball. He dawdles and takes way too much time enabling opponents to press him into lumping the ball in a blind panic. If you are trying to play out from the back he is the last person you want receiving the ball from the keeper or a team mate.

Thanks for reading. Interesting that lots of people have pushed back on Bednarek's composure, perhaps I've overstated his abiilty there. Still my best explanation as to why Selles keeps picking him though!

On 03/04/2023 at 14:53, HarvSFC said:

Only worry is this board aren't known for their ruthlessness and will probably hand out one of their charitable contracts. Only last September Djenepo was given a new three year deal because he had to start the season at left-back. Now, nowhere to be seen again.

Unless Saints managers now have zero responsibility other than picking the 11, that decision has to be on Ralph. 

9 hours ago, HKsaint said:

He should at least change our tactics to suit the new players we bought. He is a new manager. More counterattacks to release spaces for Scamacca to run...

and the new players West Ham brought in too, it seems.

• Haha 1

To think we were going to stumble on a Guardiola in Selles has been wishful thinking. Ultimately, yes he is Spanish (tick), yes he wears a stylish outfit (tick) but he managed Copenhagen for was it four games? At Chelsea, the players seemed to really show an appreciation for him but that was probably more because we'd got rid of NJ than for Selles' tactical awareness. I've been disappointed with our approach and set up against Brentford and W.Ham and can't see him as a long term solution...unless he achieves the virtually impossible. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

To think we were going to stumble on a Guardiola in Selles has been wishful thinking. Ultimately, yes he is Spanish (tick), yes he wears a stylish outfit (tick) but he managed Copenhagen for was it four games? At Chelsea, the players seemed to really show an appreciation for him but that was probably more because we'd got rid of NJ than for Selles' tactical awareness. I've been disappointed with our approach and set up against Brentford and W.Ham and can't see him as a long term solution...unless he achieves the virtually impossible. 

Can we stop making rash judgements over managers after a handful of games? 
Its everyway ib the PL like a disease, if someone wins 3 games he is world class  if someone loses 3 games then he deserves the sack. Honestly it is tiresome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Can we stop making rash judgements over managers after a handful of games? 
Its everyway ib the PL like a disease, if someone wins 3 games he is world class  if someone loses 3 games then he deserves the sack. Honestly it is tiresome.

What are you saying Ralph was here 4 years, should we have kept Jones? How is judging Selles tiresome because some differ on his at times appalling team selection like West Ham?

• Like 3

On 06/04/2023 at 13:46, Give it to Ron said:

What are you saying Ralph was here 4 years, should we have kept Jones? How is judging Selles tiresome because some differ on his at times appalling team selection like West Ham?

but not to be pedantic, the whole of the squad has been in decline for at least 2 if not 3 seasons now due to poor ownership when Goa was hamstrung buy China, and not being able to spend money ,to not getting the right next manager after Ralph, and not backing Ralph in recruiting a new striker when we all knew we needed one ,so many avoidable next steps but no one took charge.

Selles was always facing a near-impossible task to keep us up, but he is far too defensively minded and our football is too risk-averse.  And this comment after the match might be useful not to lose players but to say we have enough goals in this team is mad.

"We knew it was a gigantic task when we took it on. We are performing and we are going to keep fighting for every point. We have enough goals in the side and we are going to go for it."

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles