Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Pure speculation but I guess we might be interested again in Liam Delap this summer and given his poor season would be attainable with man city maybe not as committed.

Didn't watch him this season but I expect playing styles of stoke and Preston (guessing this was the 2nd team) weren't exactly the high possession style he was used to with city and the championship a culture shock.

I would guess Wilcox has a very comprehensive list of who he wants from city and when we lose a forward wouldnt surprise me to see him bring in Delap to replace one of them.

Wonder if there is a young left sided CB floating around their squad as well. 

Players might not be good enough for city but they are good enough for a premier League team or a championship one.

Will also be interesting to see if Wilcox rates Larios, Edozie and Bazunu as much as Joe "been here 5 mins" Shields did.

Checked their forum earlier and they defo think Delap and Borges (apparently not a pep player, bad first touch) will leave.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Pure speculation but I guess we might be interested again in Liam Delap this summer and given his poor season would be attainable with man city maybe not as committed.

Didn't watch him this season but I expect playing styles of stoke and Preston (guessing this was the 2nd team) weren't exactly the high possession style he was used to with city and the championship a culture shock.

I would guess Wilcox has a very comprehensive list of who he wants from city and when we lose a forward wouldnt surprise me to see him bring in Delap to replace one of them.

Players might not be good enough for city but they are good enough for a premier League team or a championship one.

Will also be interesting to see if Wilcox rates Larios, Edozie and Bazunu as much as Joe "been here 5 mins" Shields did.

Man City have a very good Left footed CB in callum Doyle, he played on the Left side of the 3 man Coventry defense.

• Like 4

Ah you legend thanks yes I saw his name and he was the 2nd most popular post after Borges, apparently they don't think he's Man City ready so could be a good purchase, awesome he already has championship experience.

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Man City have a very good Left footed CB in callum Doyle, he played on the Left side of the 3 man Coventry defense.

• Like 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Ah you legend thanks yes I saw his name and he was the 2nd most popular post after Borges, apparently they don't think he's Man City ready so could be a good purchase, awesome he already has championship experience.

I'd really love us to bring in Doyle, He is for me the Salisu replacement. 

Solid and young so you know SR will just love that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I'd really love us to bring in Doyle, He is for me the Salisu replacement. 

Solid and young so you know SR will just love that.

Quote from their forum

just watching him against Boro in the play off. Very good young player and his passing is exceptional.

He’s also absolutely massive. Just looks like a completely different breed to the rest of the championship players out there, really broad shoulders and probably 6’3”+

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Quote from their forum

just watching him against Boro in the play off. Very good young player and his passing is exceptional.

He’s also absolutely massive. Just looks like a completely different breed to the rest of the championship players out there, really broad shoulders and probably 6’3”+

Hopefully Jason Wilcox has him in his sights then, we are also interested in Ronnie Edwards too of Posh. A right footed CB.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

After a successful season in the Championship, I should imagine one or two Prem sides, not least the promoted teams might be looking at him. City will be keen for him to `progress' which doesn't mean another season in the championship.

Just now, Chez said:

After a successful season in the Championship, I should imagine one or two Prem sides, not least the promoted teams might be looking at him. City will be keen for him to `progress' which doesn't mean another season in the championship.

Booooooooooooooooooooo ruining our fun.

Hahahah but yeah could see him go to Burnley etc.

Anyway transfer window opens soon so we might have something to talk about instead of our make believe lists.

Thought that Rodri was decent last night maybe a good JWP replacement if he fancies the south coast med instead of rainy Manchester.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Booooooooooooooooooooo ruining our fun.

Hahahah but yeah could see him go to Burnley etc.

Anyway transfer window opens soon so we might have something to talk about instead of our make believe lists.

Thought that Rodri was decent last night maybe a good JWP replacement if he fancies the south coast med instead of rainy Manchester.

We should be aiming higher IMO.  Rodri is 26 now so resale value won't be that high and I'm not sure what he's like on freekicks.
Personally I think we should sign every single player we've been linked with (except Rodri), and keep Tella.

• Haha 2

Just now, revolution saint said:

We should be aiming higher IMO.  Rodri is 26 now so resale value won't be that high and I'm not sure what he's like on freekicks.
Personally I think we should sign every single player we've been linked with (except Rodri), and keep Tella.

Good points, I would of hoped we were in the conversation for Bellingham but we might have to try and get his parents to create another one for us since Jobe has gone to Sunderland as well.

Long game investment.

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I was hoping we would keep Stuey. Hopefully a decent fee is involved.

Sizeable wages (on his second contract, which probably means £60k or £70k+ a week) and only a year left. Got fee transfer written all over it.

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

Sizeable wages (on his second contract, which probably means £60k or £70k+ a week) and only a year left. Got fee transfer written all over it.

Sadly I do agree with you, it won't be as high as that either with the relegation clause either.

More likely nearer 40, so it's easier for teams to offer similar wages.

Scottish midfielder Jay Fulton, who has been at Southampton nine years, is set to be targeted by incoming Southampton boss Russell Martin

Scottish midfielder Jay Fulton, who has been at Southampton nine years, is set to be targeted by incoming Southampton boss Russell MartinCredit: Getty

Been at Southampton 9 years - not made much of an impression during that time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Quote from their forum

Doyle really is a perfect kind of signing for us.  Championship experience.  

The Ronnie Edwards link is interesting too 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Checked their forum earlier and they defo think Delap and Borges (apparently not a pep player, bad first touch) will leave.

I watched Delap playing for Preston against what I guess we must now call “Russell Martin’s Swansea” earlier this year and he was exceptionally disappointing that night. I know it’s just one game but he really didn’t live up to his billing 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Any idea what sort of player Fulton is like? I've never heard of him. 

All I know is he was the Swansea player sent off in the playoff final a few years ago when they lost to Brentford. Seems an odd link given hes 29. Not advocating that we go down the youth route again for our transfer strategy, but perhaps more players in their mid-20s. If we're targeting players nearly 30, then I would be hoping for alot more experience than Swansea, Wigan and Falkirk

• Like 1

I don’t know much about him either but was the players player of the season for 22-23. Seems like a steady all round midfielder rather than anything outstanding.  There’s a bloke on YouTube who rates him as his favourite player.

More of a tough midfielder in the Romeu mould rather than a ball player like Grimes. Martin also played him as an emergency striker when they had a few injuries up front. Reliable rather than spectacular. But would add a bit of hardness to a weak midfield 

Anyone else really underwhelmed at the prospect of signing Grimes. by all accounts he looks like a pound land version of JWP. Tidy, but backwards and sidewards passing. 

Might be an average player in the championship, but will he be ale to step up, should we go up.. If he had anything about him, he'd be linked with or playing in the PL by now, surely? 

16 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Doyle really is a perfect kind of signing for us.  Championship experience.  

The Ronnie Edwards link is interesting too 

Doyle, Bednerak, Stephens and Edwards would be a really solid core of CB's (and suited to playing out from the back). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Anyone else really underwhelmed at the prospect of signing Grimes. by all accounts he looks like a pound land version of JWP. Tidy, but backwards and sidewards passing. 

Might be an average player in the championship, but will he be ale to step up, should we go up.. If he had anything about him, he'd be linked with or playing in the PL by now, surely? 

Are you anything but underwhelmed about anything saints related? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dman said:

I know someone who has played with him and knows him well who reckons he would be a good buy for us. One of the best midfielders in the Championship and is more attacking than JWP. Also a top fella. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

All I know is he was the Swansea player sent off in the playoff final a few years ago when they lost to Brentford. Seems an odd link given hes 29. Not advocating that we go down the youth route again for our transfer strategy, but perhaps more players in their mid-20s. If we're targeting players nearly 30, then I would be hoping for alot more experience than Swansea, Wigan and Falkirk

Problem is you need almost more experience in the champ then you do in the prem, especially if we’re starting a rebuild of sorts

I almist expect to build a team to get us promoted, with a smattering of youthful talent and then largely re assess if/when we make it back to the prem

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I know someone who has played with him and knows him well who reckons he would be a good buy for us. One of the best midfielders in the Championship and is more attacking than JWP. Also a top fella. 

Couldn’t agree more. I saw the Swans a lot last season and he properly knows how to control a game (although he could do with shooting a bit more often) I genuinely believe he will be excellent for us as part of a rebuild. 

• Like 1

Im not really sure what the “only passes sideways and backwards” hate is anyway

English football fans have an obsession of getting the ball forward at all costs, but frankly much of this season our ability in possession has been stiffled by awful attacking movement at which point we have to maintain possession, Im sure the likes of JWP/Lavia woukd love to have made more progressive passes but its not always an option

JWP has created 74 chances this year anyway, I appreciate many would likely be set pieces

Grimes would be a great addition to a team looking to progress in the Champ this year imo

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dman said:

Doyle, Bednerak, Stephens and Edwards would be a really solid core of CB's (and suited to playing out from the back). 

However if I had to choose between Bednarek or Stephens I would choose or 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Shame seen him a fair bit for harrogate town this season and definitely has something. If that’s enough for our level I  don’t know but he’s too good for league two 

The problem we have is we have too many attacking players in fhe first team ans from the academy category.

I'm glad we haven't done the same thing we did with Hesketh and Sims and just stunted them.

Hopefully we have a buyback or a good sell on.

52 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Problem is you need almost more experience in the champ then you do in the prem, especially if we’re starting a rebuild of sorts

I almist expect to build a team to get us promoted, with a smattering of youthful talent and then largely re assess if/when we make it back to the prem

We have to build a team that is good enough not only to stay in the PL but to challenge consistently for a top ten position there. We need a long term strategy for success not a quick fix knee jerk reaction to relegation that means possible success next year but abject failure and relegation in the following.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

We’ve not played our first Championship game yet and you’re concerned about whether he’ll be good enough in the PL should we get promoted? In fairness if he gets us promoted and then goes all Adam Armstrong on us then as far as I’m concerned we should get him on the bus!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We have to build a team that is good enough not only to stay in the PL but to challenge consistently for a top ten position there. We need a long term strategy for success not a quick fix knee jerk reaction to relegation that means possible success next year but abject failure and relegation in the following.

I was about to post something along these lines. Depending on the departures and our budget, deconstructing and rebuilding the squad presents an opportunity to start again and get some new momentum.

I've seen quite a lot of posts about wanting to bring in tried and trusted championship players - perhaps players that `do it' at this level, but haven't been plucked out of the championship by a Prem side for whatever reason. Perhaps Grimes is a good example. Decent championship player, who could help us, but is he ever going to shine in the Prem? I think the general argument is `get promoted and then upgrade' as we did last time, but is it possible to look beyond that right now? 

I'd like to think so, but I am not entirely sure it is possible. What is your alternative recruitment philosophy? I assume it about finding another Morgan and Lallana (real young talent) while we are down here (and have a Shaw coming through in the background)?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

We’ve not played our first Championship game yet and you’re concerned about whether he’ll be good enough in the PL should we get promoted? In fairness if he gets us promoted and then goes all Adam Armstrong on us then as far as I’m concerned we should get him on the bus!!!

So rather than out a talented but relatively untried and tested u21 side together, get promoted with whoever can help us win games in the here and now - a mix of young and old, dependable and emerging talent....then sweep up all the talent from the Championship (like Clyne and Rodriguez) and others in the summer after winning promotion to strengthen your chance of surviving. Then buy the best talent you can find and afford thereafter.

Edited by Chez

What we have lacked is character and organisation. 

If we sign these two CMs from Swansea, experienced in this league, both decent strong personalities by all accounts, who can influence the team with the managers methods, it sounds ideal. 

Surround that with likes of Tino, Alcarez, Tella, Sulemana, Ballard, Mara, Smallbone, Doyle, Edozie, Che, Adam A, Aribo

Then we will do well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, West end Saints said:

What we have lacked is character and organisation. 

If we sign these two CMs from Swansea, experienced in this league, both decent strong personalities by all accounts, who can influence the team with the managers methods, it sounds ideal. 

Surround that with likes of Tino, Alcarez, Tella, Sulemana, Ballard, Mara, Smallbone, Doyle, Edozie, Che, Adam A, Aribo

Then we will do well. 

need at least a couple more like that.

• Like 3