Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, manji said:

I’ve watched every interview a couple of times. It’s like Martins first official for Saints. A lot of fans were saying it was a bland interview. I’ve watched it a few times ( yes I’ve got too much time on my hands at the moment ) and there was a lot in the there. I remember him being asked about his possession football and said something along the lines of he would be prepared to change it in a particular game if necessary.

Hes mentioned several times that we have 3 or 4 players lined up he’s spoken to the players and their clubs. They are keen to join us and are prepared to wait.

Wilcox interview was excellent. He’s even mentioned although his contract didn’t officially start until the end of last season he’s been looking at players for us since January. 
im assuming with the approval of City after Joe Shields jumped ship to Chelsea so quickly. You can take my word for it or not up to you.

Even Dragan admitted last season was a mess and said he should have keep more of an eye on what was happening. Don’t forget he own quite a few major companies as well as SR. He said he would be keeping a much closer eye on Southampton this year.

I don’t think people realise how powerful he is in Eastern Europe. He’s a even a major player in opposition to the Serbian Government.

He has a reputation can’t see him accepting failure again.

Making an enemy of the Serbian Government would have me checking over my shoulder on a regular basis for sure. More power to his elbow. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Not posted for a while.

I was laughed at when posting on the 29th of May that every player is free to go if suitable offers come in. (I accidentally said fire sale but corrected  myself straight away)

They wanted a total overhaul of players as the squad was bloated plus many want out. 21 players out was the target back in May!

A couple of weeks from now we will see almost every decent player moving on. The market is finally moving forward as teams seek replacements from the bigger transfers that have happened recently.

Heard we have a few good players coming in but don’t expect to be challenging for promotion this season as this is a longer term plan to regroup for a better chance to stay in the premiership for the nearer future. This is why they went for Russell Martin as there was less expectations from him. I still personally think it’s a shit appointment.

I always knew JWP was going only if a suitable offer came in as he was no longer interested in the championship, would of gone earlier as the agreement in his new contract he signed a few years back was that he could go if a top club made a suitable offer. (100% know this as I have a different contact that knows JWP very well as he sponsors their Portsmouth based team) The last game of last season was suppose to be his farewell but nobody other than WHU wanted him.

Finally I was told just recently that Jason Wilcox is doing a fantastic job and very much has 100% control in everything. My personal fears were Ankerson would never take a step back but it seems Drago has taken more interest in what’s going on as he probably stopped trusting Ankerson with his money.

Wilcox has attracted interest from a  few clubs as they are watching his progress.

Ankersons job was always was to build and manage the SR rosta. There was Film of him and he crew visiting Vincennes recently soon after SR purchased them. That’s his job.

Watch the first Wilcox interview. At Man City for 10 years. He clearly believes in the Southampton project.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Making an enemy of the Serbian Government would have me checking over my shoulder on a regular basis for sure. More power to his elbow. 

Yeah Serbia have officially historically been allies of Russia . Dragan has a very neo liberal western stance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, manji said:

Ankersons job was always was to build and manage the SR rosta. There was Film of him and he crew visiting Vincennes recently soon after SR purchased them. That’s his job.

Watch the first Wilcox interview. At Man City for 10 years. He clearly believes in the Southampton project.

Ankerson double backed into our general running because he didn’t fully trust the old board members after summer AND the mess of Joe Shields

Although he didn’t do a particularly great job, it wasn’t necessarily the plan

Also the more I read that post the more it absolutely doesn’t tie in to any info Ive had, or anyone else around the club have had… for a start we very much are looking to be promoted this year, and the clubs trying to gear towards that… thats before the Ankerson stuff, most around the club are aware he only stepped in temporarily 

• Like 3

RM has said all along that there are players lined up but we needed to lose some players first.  With JWP and Lavia leaving this week, I expect we have Grimes definitely lined up.  He's the 'captain' type we are looking for. I would like us to get Downes too but maybe that is dependant on Smallbone leaving.  If we lost JWP/Lav/Smallone and brought in Grimes and Downes, I'd be very happy. 

I believe Piroe will join as soon as one of our fowards leaves - either Adams or AA.  Just need a commaning CB - Harwood-Bellis?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why Grimes? If the JWP deal goes through then Downes seems the most logical name, unless Grimes was always going to happen anyway and Downes is by far from a done deal.

Can anyone throw any light on the difference(s) between the two players for us uneducated?

Going on wikipedia, Grimes had one of the highest passing percentages a couple of seasons ago in English football. Dunno if that just means a load of backwards/sideways balls but definitely an RM player.

• Like 1

I’m starting to worry that the current owners’ strategy is to focus on cashing in on the transfer values of our most saleable assets while neglecting replacements at the standard required to get us back up asap - ideally this season. 

Hopefully talks with likely replacements are well advanced but we need to start buying - given the poor quality of some of the players we are likely to be left with. Yes - it’s impressive that we are holding out for the highest possible fees (apparently rejecting Chelsea’s Lavia offer for example). But the clock is ticking and we need some early season momentum with some decent wins off the back of a settled squad. And yes Burnley were a bit shite in their opening games last season - but we don’t necessarily want a poor start and then have to play catch up. 

Edited by musesaint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I do hope Liverpool pay the price for pissing about with derisory offers and get beaten to Lavia now. 

The clock is ticking and it's not our problem, they're the ones with a gaping hole in the middle of a Premier League midfield trying to play bigboy poker.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I see Chelsea have now bid 48 million for Lavia. What’s the fucking problem with these big clubs not understanding we want 50 million? 

It’s a bit like e-Bay. The seller puts a reserve on of £50m which allows bidding, but also sticks a ‘buy-it-now’ on of £50m. Towards the end of the bidding time someone comes in with a few close offers which don’t meet the reserve price. Everyone gets really fucking annoyed because actually the bidding part seems utterly pointless. Sometimes however, when the auction time has run out, the seller gets a bit desperate and goes back to the highest bidder and says, “err, £48m…fancy it still?”. 😉🤣

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, musesaint said:

I’m starting to worry that the current owners’ strategy is to focus on cashing in on the transfer values of our most saleable assets while neglecting replacements at the standard required to get us back up asap - ideally this season. 

Hopefully talks with likely replacements are well advanced but we need to start buying - given the poor quality of some of the players we are likely to be left with. Yes - it’s impressive that we are holding out for the highest possible fees (apparently rejecting Chelsea’s Lavia offer for example). But the clock is ticking and we need some early season momentum with some decent wins off the back of a settled squad. And yes Burley we’re a bit shite in their opening games last season - but we don’t necessarily want a poor start and then have to play catch up. 

see above..   I agree with that sentiment ..to some degree, but the transfers so far have been somewhat different situations.

Most of us would probably agree that Prowsey deserves to continue playing Premier League, and I'm surprised that more clubs weren't                        bidding for him, and some of them may regret that decision  if JWP continues to score /create goals for WHam as he has done for us.

Both Livramento and Lavia showed up and shone well in Saints teams that were below par - and in the end - clearly not good enough for the Prem.

The club's promise to them was (likely) Prem. football but now that has gone, and ..tbh. I'm amazed that we´re getting those sort of the fees for them.

If they stayed they would flounder in the morass in the Championship and any further injuries would end all interest .. and high value in them. 

Good luck to them if they meet the standard that the Prem. demands .. and in the end we still got very good deals for a low level of investment.

As for the rest, it will be a combination of those players who are clearly " surplus to requirements ", and those who quite simply ...don't want to stay.

Whatever we get for them will be some sort of a bonus..  especially for players who have just one year left on their contracts. 

Those juvenile Academy graduates on the up who have already had minutes, will be anxious to get more game time and establish themselves and 

will hopefully become the next generation of Lavia's and Livramento's.    If they / we succeed then we have a win-win situation, as those who stay  

will benefit Saints in the future, whilst those who choose to move on to " bigger things " .. will command 40-50 million fees as a matter of course.

Edited by david in sweden

Chelsea would certainly have a better pool of potential loans for us than Liverpool do, if we were interested in that.

Either way, fingers crossed these Lavia and JWP deals get wrapped up by early next week at the latest.

Why anyone is worried is beyond me. Its literally playing out exactly how the club, manager and DoF expected and told us it would so they have clearly planned for it.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 13

30 minutes ago, musesaint said:

Hopefully talks with likely replacements are well advanced but we need to start buying - given the poor quality of some of the players we are likely to be left with. Yes - it’s impressive that we are holding out for the highest possible fees (apparently rejecting Chelsea’s Lavia offer for example). But the clock is ticking and we need some early season momentum with some decent wins off the back of a settled squad. And yes Burnley were a bit shite in their opening games last season - but we don’t necessarily want a poor start and then have to play catch up. 

Perhaps they are not planning to get promoted this season

If we did do you think we would have the players to stay there as we are selling our best players and I am not sure we will be getting in PL type players anytime soon

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, musesaint said:

I know what you mean but the transfer window doesn't close until September the 1st. So, we still have time to get replacements in. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say. Fingers and everything else crossed. Still hoping for a new striker and a more creative central midfield option. 

40 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I do hope Liverpool pay the price for pissing about with derisory offers and get beaten to Lavia now. 

The clock is ticking and it's not our problem, they're the ones with a gaping hole in the middle of a Premier League midfield trying to play big boy poker.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

... and end up with Aces and Eights ... 

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive read some fucking stupid shit before, but the board actively avoiding getting promoted this year is well up there

We'll it would make sense as Goa was trying to deliberately relegate us according to some on here

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive read some fucking stupid shit before, but the board actively avoiding getting promoted this year is well up there

Every interview this summer has said the goal for this season is promotion. Solak, Kraft and Ankersen said it in theirs. Wilcox and Martin said it in theirs. Then the new signings Charles, Manning and Lumley have all said it. Lumley being the most recent said it explicitly "I'm delighted to sign for what is a massive club. It's obviously come down from the Premier League and looking to get back this season."

I noticed these, as it's a breath of fresh air from Semmens saying we're lucky to be competing. The promotion message will probably be repeated at the fans forum next week also, to properly make it clear.

• Like 4

I see Chelsea have basically signed Adams - is there a scenario where they decide to focus on other positions (unlikely, I know, given their scattergun approach), and Liverpool end up with Caicedo, leaving Lavia in limbo? 

Edited by santolijador
spelling

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Actively and consciously no, but negligently and ineptly still very much up for grabs 😀

Currently our squad is no where near PL standard without JWP Lavia Tino ABK so what is the point of going up this season if we come down again next

• Confused 10

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We'll it would make sense as Goa was trying to deliberately relegate us according to some on here

Chinese Serbian collaboration manipulated by Russia and the far right on social media. Seems highly plausible, if somewhat #controversial

I’ll always be grateful to Gao for his ‘We March on’ clip, ruthlessly rehearsed, scarfed and suited in a beige Bejing hotel room looking like he had a gun trained on him. That and the Ted Bates statue unveiling never fail to raise a spontaneous smile at Milton Manor. Hopefully many more magic moments to look forward to supporting SFC…

2 minutes ago, John B said:

Currently our squad is no where near PL standard without JWP Lavia Tino ABK so what is the point of going up this season if we come down again next

Weren’t you the fella who just a week or so ago got really angry with people being negative and said “If you do not want to get behind the players piss off to the Pompey forum”. How that positive mindset has drizzled away so quickly. So sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, John B said:

To be honest our squad was nowhere near PL standard when all of them were in it. Club needs an enema and Wilcox is the initial catalyst, a boardroom suppository if you will! 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I see The Times are apparently reporting that West Ham wanted to include Downes as a permanent transfer but we're only interested in a loan deal.  Would have thought it would have been the other way around.

I thought it was Downes that didn't want the permanent transfer?

1 minute ago, Ashby Saint said:

I thought it was Downes that didn't want the permanent transfer?

Article I read didn't really mention what Downes wanted, just that West Ham were keen to include him as part of the deal for JWP as a permanent transfer and we weren't interested in a permanent - only a loan.  TBF it could be rubbish or there could be more to it than included in the article.

Damn this is when i love the transfer window, deals happening everywhere, Kane off to the Fatherland, Chelsea and Liverpool bidding against each other for midfielders, Luton sign Ross Barkley and we might finally have a forward come in who can score goals more than once ever 5 games since Ings.

Wilcox giving the news to JWP and Lavia.

Dalton time to leave.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Damn this is when i love the transfer window, deals happening everywhere, Kane off to the Fatherland, Chelsea and Liverpool bidding against each other for midfielders, Luton sign Ross Barkley and we might finally have a forward come in who can score goals more than once ever 5 games since Ings.

Wilcox giving the news to JWP and Lavia.

Dalton time to leave.gif

Was rather hoping he would say that to Lyanco and Bree instead

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

I know what you mean but the transfer window doesn't close until September the 1st. So, we still have time to get replacements in. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say. Fingers and everything else crossed. Still hoping for a new striker and a more creative central midfield option. 

It doesn’t close then.

It SLAMS SHUT

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Article I read didn't really mention what Downes wanted, just that West Ham were keen to include him as part of the deal for JWP as a permanent transfer and we weren't interested in a permanent - only a loan.  TBF it could be rubbish or there could be more to it than included in the article.

IF that was the case can only be due to the high value that put on him as part of the 'trade off'.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It doesn’t close then.

It SLAMS SHUT

And even then, it only slams shut after a) a live news presenter has a dildo shoved in his ear, and b) 'Arry is seen speeding away from Sandbanks in his Range Rover after doing an interview by the gate

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m all for giving Martin the familiar and trusted tools to do the job, rather than relying on the useless tools on the fringes of our first team. You’d think that with Grimes, Piroe and Downes complementing Manning we’d be competitive very quickly. McCarthy going to Palace and being replaced by Schmeichel icing on our first championship window cake. Pray chaps. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I’m all for giving Martin the familiar and trusted tools to do the job, rather than relying on the useless tools on the fringes of our first team. You’d think that with Grimes, Piroe and Downes complementing Manning we’d be competitive very quickly. McCarthy going to Palace and being replaced by Schmeichel icing on our first championship window cake. Pray chaps. 

Schmeichel would be insane, That would be incredible. I'm dreaming now to just be disappointed come September 1st.