Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, manji said:

We are looking at players from other countries. Wilcox from a distance and Mowbray up close.

In Scotland or further afield?

They must have been watching Luca Kerber for that recent news story to come about. His video really impressed me. More so than the Hove video. I am guessing he is another we have been out watching? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I am on the fence here. I’ve said half tongue in cheek on here before about the vast amounts of money coming into the club and the plan.

Every wealthy billionaire always has an exit strategy, which is why they are so wealthy.

As a supporter, a bit more transparency would go a long way. As with every club, these guys are only the owners temporarily. 

Tbf, a couple of comments about balancing the books are probably spot on. 

I know we aren’t Prem anymore, but 10 million on a Swansea defender ( I don’t know the guy never seen him play). Because the manager knows him.

I do wonder if we have a bigger network of targets other than a Championship manager raiding his old club for a player or two. Seems a bit League one and League two for me. (dare I say a repeat of the NJ fiasco)

I get budgets, but come on there are a few more players from clubs on a global scale that we must have been keeping tabs on over the last few years  that we can develop or go straight in.

We must be better than to go with the total blind faith of a bloke from Luton and Swansea. 

Call me cynical, I know.

By all accounts we are about to sign Johan Hove from Groningen.

I also think there is an element of fans being more excited by foreign names. If we were interested in Nathania Woodstinio from Hertha Berlin I'm sure people would be lapping it up.

There are a lot of ways to waste money, but signing players who the manager knows, trusts and fit the style we are employing seems a fairly sound tactic to me. If we complement that with some additions from left field then all the better.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Speaking of McCarthy I see we played a behind closed doors friendly at Brentford today and won 2-1.

No idea who played but the line which stood out was the visiting keeper made an error to gift the Bees the lead😂

Not sure this in McCarthy - doesn't look him, and the bloke looks like he's making a save. 

Dickov_v_Southampton_gallery_urazww.jpg

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

By all accounts we are about to sign Johan Hove from Groningen.

I also think there is an element of fans being more excited by foreign names. If we were interested in Nathania Woodstinio from Hertha Berlin I'm sure people would be lapping it up.

There are a lot of ways to waste money, but signing players who the manager knows, trusts and fit the style we are employing seems a fairly sound tactic to me. If we complement that with some additions from left field then all the better.

I find foreign signings to be more exciting because you think you might get more for you money and you hope that you are finding an undiscovered gem, which isn't really possible if they are home grown, as everyone knows them inside and out. 

I have no problem with a manager signing his old players, especially young ones yet to fulfil their potential. One advantage if you have managed them before is you have much greater insight into their character. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Are you joking? He's betting on himself by doing the Bundesliga jump - one good season and he ends up at Bayern or Borussia - huge wages and Champions League football. 

Much better than Burnley and then a move to Everton/West Ham. 

Actually I can see some sense having realised their coach is Xabi Alonso, hadn't realised that. Still seems a little obscure to go to Bundesliga rather than PL, but clearly there are quite a few young English players who flourish there.

Looking at the Brentford 11, they were pretty strong - so that's a decent result for us all considered. I'd be interested to know who played/scored for us.

Brentford: Strakosha; Roerslev, Ajer, Zanka, Bech; Onyeka, Yarmoliuk, Damsgaard; Olakigbe, Lewis-Potter; Brierley

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I find foreign signings to be more exciting because you think you might get more for you money and you hope that you are finding an undiscovered gem, which isn't really possible if they are home grown, as everyone knows them inside and out. 

I have no problem with a manager signing his old players, especially young ones yet to fulfil their potential. One advantage if you have managed them before is you have much greater insight into their character. 

Recent foreign imports haven't been great for us, not the big fee ones anyway. I think we've had more success with the likes of Ings, Romeu, VVD than we did with the likes of Lemina, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo....etc etc, list goes on.

Even our promotion years we had a strong core of English lads and guys picked up from the English leagues - Jos, Fonte, Hammond, Cork, Fox, Lambo, Lallana, Butterfield, Chaplow etc. The 'sexy' foreign signings like Tadanari Lee, Steve De Ridder and even Papa to an extent didn't really work out. (I loved Papa, but he was a bit limited!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Looking at the Brentford 11, they were pretty strong - so that's a decent result for us all considered. I'd be interested to know who played/scored for us.

Brentford: Strakosha; Roerslev, Ajer, Zanka, Bech; Onyeka, Yarmoliuk, Damsgaard; Olakigbe, Lewis-Potter; Brierley

We also played a behind closed doors game against Exeter. This was the team for that:

McNamara, Davis, Bailey (Dobson-Ventura 79), Moore, Lett, Trialist (Squires 59), Edwards (Pitts 66), Stepien-Iwumene, Merry (Robinson 56), Andrews, Small

That leaves Bycroft, Abu, Simeu, Awe, Hewlett, Meghoma, Bragg, Dibling, Finnigan, Ballard ,Olaigbe and Ehibhatiomhan from the u21 players involved in the last game. 

Just now, egg said:

We also played a behind closed doors game against Exeter. This was the team for that:

McNamara, Davis, Bailey (Dobson-Ventura 79), Moore, Lett, Trialist (Squires 59), Edwards (Pitts 66), Stepien-Iwumene, Merry (Robinson 56), Andrews, Small

That leaves Bycroft, Abu, Simeu, Awe, Hewlett, Meghoma, Bragg, Dibling, Finnigan, Ballard ,Olaigbe and Ehibhatiomhan from the u21 players involved in the last game. 

In that case I reckon we had Lumley, ABK, Bree, Mara, Aribo, Lyanco, Perraud, Moussa involved from our first team squad.

Simeu is injured, so he wouldn't have been picked. Hopefully Ballard nicked a couple of goals.

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Could be, but my guess is Lumley. He's wearing the captain's armband and I can't imagine a youngster would have been skipper. 

makes sense. I'm no good with ear lobes, but the Sells goalkeeping gloves are similar to ones Lumley has worn in the past too.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Recent foreign imports haven't been great for us, not the big fee ones anyway. I think we've had more success with the likes of Ings, Romeu, VVD than we did with the likes of Lemina, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo....etc etc, list goes on.

Even our promotion years we had a strong core of English lads and guys picked up from the English leagues - Jos, Fonte, Hammond, Cork, Fox, Lambo, Lallana, Butterfield, Chaplow etc. The 'sexy' foreign signings like Tadanari Lee, Steve De Ridder and even Papa to an extent didn't really work out. (I loved Papa, but he was a bit limited!)

Yeah, overall we don't seem to have done too well. Doesn't stop me hoping the next one will be another Svensson, Tadic, Guly, Pahars or Eklund.

• Like 2

I did suggest the idea a couple of weeks ago that we sell Lavia to Chelsea and then take him back on loan for a year. If he is not in Poch's immediate first team plans, rather the warm the bench for months, surely they would want him playing competitive football. They are not going to loan him to another prem club, so it would make perfect sense to send him back here of 6 months, maybe with an option to extend to 12 months. Wishful thinking maybe (definitely!) but stranger things have happened! A Win Win for us for sure. The player and Chelsea would also benefit and our relationship with Chelsea seems to be pretty positive at present.

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In that case I reckon we had Lumley, ABK, Bree, Mara, Aribo, Lyanco, Perraud, Moussa involved from our first team squad.

Simeu is injured, so he wouldn't have been picked. Hopefully Ballard nicked a couple of goals.

Thanks, I couldn't piece it together, and I'd forgotten that Simeu was injured. Whoever played, that was a good result against Brentford. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Keef said:

I did suggest the idea a couple of weeks ago that we sell Lavia to Chelsea and then take him back on loan for a year. If he is not in Poch's immediate first team plans, rather the warm the bench for months, surely they would want him playing competitive football. They are not going to loan him to another prem club, so it would make perfect sense to send him back here of 6 months, maybe with an option to extend to 12 months. Wishful thinking maybe (definitely!) but stranger things have happened! A Win Win for us for sure. The player and Chelsea would also benefit and our relationship with Chelsea seems to be pretty positive at present.

why not loan him to another Prem club? Ideal for the big clubs. Strengthen other teams who can then tae points of off their rivals, but he won't be able to play against them. He aint being loaned to us in the championship. He's shown he can play in the Prem. It won't help his progress to play against lessor opponents.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Having seen their game at West Ham, Lavia could make an immediate impact in Chelsea's midfield. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

why not loan him to another Prem club? Ideal for the big clubs. Strengthen other teams who can then tae points of off their rivals, but he won't be able to play against them. He aint being loaned to us in the championship. He's shown he can play in the Prem. It won't help his progress to play against lessor opponents.

Some managers definitely advocate youngsters stepping down a league when on loan. Not saying they're right and you're wrong, but it is A Thing That Happens Sometimes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Some managers definitely advocate youngsters stepping down a league when on loan. Not saying they're right and you're wrong, but it is A Thing That Happens Sometimes.

Really? is there an example of a player that has played for a full season in the first team in the Prem, is transfered and then the manager sent him out on loan in the championship? 

Managers want their players playing games, so if a lower level is the only place that will happen (because they are not in demand from other Prem sides), then that makes sense. But how does that apply to someone like Lavia, who could get a game pretty much anywhere?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Romeo Lavia playing a full season in the Premier League was definitely a thing that happened last year as well.

He hasn't joined Chelsea to play against Rotherham in a Euros year.

I can see him being loaned to Palace/Wolves/etc, maybe.

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

To avoid letting them get to only 1 year left and having to sell them for less than we could get for them now because of that fact.  PS - I hope we don't sell them, but that will be the club's thinking behind any sales they do make.

I can see that.  But surely decisions can’t be made purely on the finances.  The team has to come first at some point.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bloody strong in Scrabble, maybe

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

They must have been watching Luca Kerber for that recent news story to come about. His video really impressed me. More so than the Hove video. I am guessing he is another we have been out watching? 

I thought he looked useful too, seemed to offer a bit more physical presence than the shortarses we tend to sign. Looked decent going forward as well.

But hey, that was youtube, the prism that made De Ridder look a world beater. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't forget Tin Man, Capt Sparrow and the Torpedo.

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

As much as I hate saggy chops I’m gonna have to stick up for him here, no way would he sign him !

MIght depend who his agent was, shall we say. 

He signed some crap for skates and West Ham (Dutch bloke who fucked off after about 10 games springs to mind, Boogars was it ?)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Really? is there an example of a player that has played for a full season in the first team in the Prem, is transfered and then the manager sent him out on loan in the championship? 

Managers want their players playing games, so if a lower level is the only place that will happen (because they are not in demand from other Prem sides), then that makes sense. But how does that apply to someone like Lavia, who could get a game pretty much anywhere?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Romeo Lavia playing a full season in the Premier League was definitely a thing that happened last year as well.

He hasn't joined Chelsea to play against Rotherham in a Euros year.

I can see him being loaned to Palace/Wolves/etc, maybe.

Aye yeah, fair enough. And to be clear, I was never saying I'd think he'd come back.

• Like 1

Hove looks a very decent signing on the face of it, see he was widely scouted and linked 2-3 years ago by Saints, Man U, Brighton, Palace and others. Question would be whether his progress stalled or whether PL clubs will want to pick him up after a stint in the Championship rather buy now and loan him out? Looks like he can deal with the physicality, albeit not the tallest, and decent technique. Don’t know how much the release clause was for but looking forward to seeing him compete for a first team place.

Nathan Wood could be a decent buy - I like his recovery pace, good composure and some decent headers on the clips. Young and English, could soar in value with a good season or two. Tactically will need some work and more experience around where to play/not to play.

• Like 2