Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Strange rumour.

Would have to be a way of Wolves fighting FFP with an obligation to sign, considering his contract will be up anyway.

If they have an obligation to sign then the expense would be upfronted anyway I believe. So I don’t see how it helps FFP. 

Just now, farawaysaint said:

If they have an obligation to sign then the expense would be upfronted anyway I believe. So I don’t see how it helps FFP. 

Honestly god knows how it works. I'm sure they have clever ways of diverting the payment until next year.

Either way it'll be disappointing.

1 minute ago, ecurnew02 said:

Loan doesn’t even make sense unless he signed a one year extension with us and then Wolves had an obligation to buy 

exactly, unless the loan fee is pretty much the same as the transfer fee we wanted from Everton which would equally make no sense to me but then the way football clubs seem to be running there finances makes no sense to anyone these days!

found this site on Championship transfers interesting,  as it lists a percentage of league starts lost and number of league goals lost due to player outs.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23626243.championship-transfer-window-2023-24-every-far/

of the three relegated sides

Southampton

• League starts lost: 158 (38%)
  • League goals lost: 13

Leicester

• League starts lost: 108 (26%)
  • League goals lost: 29 

Leeds

• League starts lost: 205 (49%)
  • League goals lost: 23

11 minutes ago, Appy said:

Percy saying Wolves in talks with Adams over loan deal, surely we aren’t letting him go on loan. 

1yr extension before he goes and a compulsory purchase based on Wolves staying up? If he doesn’t then we cash in on him next summer instead?

It’s the only way I can make a loan make some sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

found this site on Championship transfers interesting,  as it lists a percentage of league starts lost and number of league goals lost due to player outs.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23626243.championship-transfer-window-2023-24-every-far/

of the three relegated sides

Southampton

• League starts lost: 158 (38%)
  • League goals lost: 13

Leicester

• League starts lost: 108 (26%)
  • League goals lost: 29 

Leeds

• League starts lost: 205 (49%)
  • League goals lost: 23

I'd prefer to lose more - not sure if anyone saw but we were fucking awful last season. 

Random thought:

Ché says to Saints: "Ok, I'll sign the new improved 3 year deal on the table but on the condition you loan me out to a Premier League team for the first year and then I'll come back to Saints next season if/when we're promoted"

Would that make any sense?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

I guess if you have Stewart and Che/his replacement, Mara is 3rd choice and even then Armstrong may be preferred up top to him. Mara needs to go somewhere he can play regularly to develop. I’d be happy with a loan to see how he does. Doesn’t seem like anyone is willing to buy atm.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Random thought:

Ché says to Saints: "Ok, I'll sign the new improved 3 year deal on the table but on the condition you loan me out to a Premier League team for the first year and then I'll come back to Saints next season if/when we're promoted"

Help us back up or fuck off, Che. Thank you.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Random thought:

A loan just makes no sense to us at all. His record / performance in the PL is questionable, at best, if we go up, do we need him as much as we need him now? imo no. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Random thought:

Probably not. More likely Wolves are in a bind with FFP (given their chairman's public comments) and have said 'what if he signs an extension until 2025 with you so you don't lose him on a free next year, and if we stay up, we'll give you the asking price. If we go down, you can still sell him elsewhere'

This theory also works on the basis that Ché has basically told us he's not interested in hanging about and playing any more games in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Bit of a plonker said:

Didn’t we loan Cedric to Arsenal until the end of his contract or am I not remembering correctly?

Cedric was / is shit though. Adams would play a key part in us getting promoted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bit of a plonker said:

Didn’t we loan Cedric to Arsenal until the end of his contract or am I not remembering correctly?

yeah but we got something like a £3m loan fee for the six months he had left. So it was a good deal really something something amortiaisation, something something 

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Random thought:

No chance. He becomes a free agent next summer - and that means no transfer fee for a Prem side and bigger wages for him. He ain't jeopardizing that with a contract with a Championship side that will be less appealing than the ones he turned down while we were in the Prem. 

The only reason he signs a new deal with us is if zero prem sides have shown any interest in signing him this summer. Pretty sure Everton have, so he will be confident iof getting a deal next year when the fee required is £0.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I am hoping all this ABK movement/offer etc. happened earlier in the week/last week (with reporters now catching up with these stories - hence us making bids for Woods and possibly THB) and the deal is pretty much done. It feels bloody late in the day for Bayern to join the party and start making bids (although obviously welcome).

I think we are going to get what we want for him and not be pressured to loan him out for buttons. 

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Sounds like a Ricky Lambert type centre forward.

Maybe, but Ricky scored goals from everywhere - he struck the ball beautifully. This fella is more of a tap in merchant. Ricky didn't play on the shoulder or make runs through leaving him one on one with keepers. I don't see the similarities myself. If he scores a similar number of goals, we will be golden. 

4 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

Think he has a release clause, so no bidding war.

Possibly. What's the amount? The reports seem a little unsure.

Dortmund clearly haven't activated it, so a bidding war will increase the figure being offered. I assume we'll accept if the total amount gets close to it.