Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread

whelk

46 minutes ago, Chez said:

Oh dear. Isn't that the second time ABK has done that? They always say that onec you've dislocated it, it becomes easy to do many times thereafter. Not sure if thats true or not.

All those that have bene recently clamouring for DCC will get their opportunity. Losing ABK is bad news.

If it keeps popping out it will need surgery , going by other players in the past .

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say the players exactly have belief, we were our normal shit for large parts of this game. but the comeback was well fought. on a side note how much better would we be if we had someone who could send in a good corner.

West ham is must win, but we don’t play well against teams around us. Bring on City, Arsenal and Liverpool ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, SotonianWill said:

I wouldn’t say the players exactly have belief, we were our normal shit for large parts of this game. but the comeback was well fought. on a side note how much better would we be if we had someone who could send in a good corner.

West ham is must win, but we don’t play well against teams around us. Bring on City, Arsenal and Liverpool ! 

Liverpool? isn't that the last game? I hope we are either safe or down before that match

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Oh dear. Isn't that the second time ABK has done that? They always say that onec you've dislocated it, it becomes easy to do many times thereafter. Not sure if thats true or not.

All those that have bene recently clamouring for DCC will get their opportunity. Losing ABK is bad news.

Did mine 4 or 5 times before 18. Falling off a bike started it all. NHS said too young to operate yet, but will need to be pinned at somepoint as it will keep dislocating. 

Dislocated 2 or 3 more times by 25, the last time waking up in in the middle of the night with it dislocated. It was that lose. 

All mine were A&E jobs to put back in with gas and air. Straightforward process. Lie on your back on the edge of the bed. Doctor straightens your arm and then does a cricket bowl motion while massaging the arm back into its socket. Can take a couple of goes. It goes in with a very noticeable thud and then relief. Very painful overall.

Had an operation at 26. No 'pins', they cut, shortened, rearranged and resewn some muscles.

54 now ... hasn't dislocated since.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Stupid bloody comment. Were you even at the match? Moi was excellent in the first half, holding up the ball, ghosting past opponents players and finding gaps between the lines for team mates to run onto. Despite idiots like you carping all the time, he actually does make a difference.

He did play well today: my stand neighbours and I agreed he was having a good game and it was recognised by the crowd. Any issues were the usual one of having no pace, and although that makes me despair that he doesn't have it, I'm not going to use it as a stick to criticise when he has just played well.

Anyway, losing two centre backs impacted us in defending a couple of those goals, but there was no lack of fight, and bringing on the fresh legs was obviously planned and worked well. Having seen their front three and ours in the pre-match line-ups rather underlined our lack of an instinctive scorer but two of our forwards scored for a very pleasant change. Given Mara's and Sulemana's lack of experience in this league I can see why they didn't start.

• Like 1

Captain’s performance by jwp. Was everywhere through the whole game making some crucial defensive plays and his passing and creativity was good (although these corners are still not working. Having to go short as these fizzed in to the 6 yard box “best deliveries in the prem” and so much easier to defend that get an attacking contact). He was probably hurting from another England snub as he would give his all for his country unlike those over privileged big six players that joke of an England manager picks. The bottle on the penalty at the end when it looked like Mara wanted it was huge. With a captain like that in your team it could be just possible. 

I counted 3 misplaced passes from Lavia which is unlike him. He is still a star though. Not playing him is like giving up the midfield. It was the same when ori was missing. That seems a major error in the first half of Brentford, particularly as there is now an international break (I know he was picked but it’s unlikely he is going to play full games from the start with Belgium). 

• Like 2

Nice touch at the end from Fraser Forster who came over towards the Kingsland to applaud the fans and beat his fist against his chest. Much appreciated by those in the stand and warmly applauded. Great to see a big hug with JWP as well. Apparently they used to be neighbours.

"I know Fraser very well, he used to be my next-door neighbour so I've taken a few penalties against him in my garden with my little boy, so we have something going on there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65002705

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Interesting stat today  out of the 15 players signed across the last two windows, only two started today.

Three started goalkeeper,,ABK and Lavia, still not many.

Edited by Bob76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

i agree with you on the corners,way too predicable ,the commentators are waiting for that one JWP delivery to let us all know just how good he is at delivering dead ball situations,when in fact we aint.

2 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

i agree with you on the corners,way too predicable ,the commentators are waiting for that one JWP delivery to let us all know just how good he is at delivering dead ball situations,when in fact we aint.

“Saints have only scored one goal from a corner when they have the best corner taker in the league”

he’s fucking not though, he’s never been good at corners and I’m fairly certain our goal ratio from corners has always been low since he’s been on them.

• Like 1

Why were we getting pooped down our left side all the time? Porro had acres of space down there at least twice before he finally scored. When Perruad gets dragged inside shouldn’t Moi be covering around? I thought that was what Selles meant when he said Moi worked hard to keep the shape. What’s going on?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

Well that’s 2 points out of 9 that I didn’t think we’d get so overall pretty good. Don’t understand people who actually think we should’ve beaten brentford? They’re miles better than us at the moment.

Not so much beat Brentford, but laid a glove on them....

The entire division are better than us, so no more wins then?

Edited by AlexLaw76

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

Everton did and Leicester got a draw.

And they shouldn’t have, like we shouldn’t have drawn with Man U, spurs or beat Chelsea which are all valuable points.

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not so much beat Brentford, but laid a glove on them....

The entire division are better than us, so no more wins then?

see my point above, we’re easily one of the worst team in the league atm and we technically only lost 1-0 to the team in 6th spot and drew against 2 teams in the top 5.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

Don’t understand people who actually think we should’ve beaten brentford? They’re miles better than us at the moment.

Well, we're bottom of the league and rubbish so we should not "think" we should beat anyone at all, then. I'm not sure how this is an argument for us staying up.

The point is not whether we "should" beat beat Brentford but that we needed to have beaten them to have a chance of staying up.

Vanity draws against big clubs is not keeping us up.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dellman said:

Liverpool? isn't that the last game? I hope we are either safe or down before that match

or more importantly .. if Liverpool are still struggling to secure a top four place ... and haven't qualified for next season's CL ...it'll be even harder.

As for yesterdays game, it felt like a moral victory as we started with our best CB pairing of the season, and ended up with two defenders who

have only recently returned from injury.  Spurs bench was full of high cost subs. and yet they still lost the advantage. 

We saw well-earned goals from our two players who have had long goal-droughts by their own standards, and especially pleased for Walcott,

who has been so close in recent matches without getting a goal.    Prowsey turned up at the 11th hour and did a captain's job for us as expected.

Would have been nice to have won, but whilst Selles criticised us for conceding " two poor goals " our one point was well-earned, whilst Conte 

returned to North London having " lost "  two points.   I know which team will get most criticism and will want to blame the referee and VAR. 

Edited by david in sweden

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

I see spurs scored 3 from 3 shots on target. Not saying Bazunu was directly for blame for any of them but another example of a team don’t need many chances score against us

The stats lie a bit. There were a shed load of other Spurs chances, but many shots were blocked well by our defenders. The Kane chance in the second half when we were caught on the break and he shot over the bar is one that I expect him to score nine times out of ten. 

I still can’t work out if there is a Prem quality team in there or not. Whilst there are a lot of poor players in the squad, I can’t help but feel there is a decent 1st team in there given the right structure and support. Sadly I don’t think we’re going to find out as we have too much to catch up and rivals are picking up points.

happy with the battling spirit yesterday, and overall we’ve been decent since Selles took over (yes the odd bad performance). 
It’s so important for next season that we keep improving and are competitive - if we go down we need to believe we will come straight back up and start next season quickly.

I think even with some of our best players picked off there is a quality championship side there, what will hurt us much more is not having a winning habit or belief.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

I still can’t work out if there is a Prem quality team in there or not. 

There isnt.

Absolute top class individual ability and technique is just not there IMO. We have players that can play in the Prem, so it's not always easy to spot, but the first touch of many players is just not immaculate enough. I'm not talking about mis-controlling the ball, I'm talking about the ability to bring the ball down first time AND the ball being exactly where you'd want it for the second touch to be easy or the right distance in order to allow a first time cross or shot, and to not need to turn back, which happens time after time. 

... and the same goes with weight of pass. There are just far too many passes that are just not perfect, preventing a fast break, forcing the receiver to work harder or even to turn back to retain possession, again this happens a lot.

...and there is a lack of pace, and the ability to play at pace. The number of times a decent ball is played, but we don't have that ability to receive the ball at pace or the pace to utilise the opportunity at all, and the player has to turn back to keep possession. There is a recurring theme here...

All these little things just add up and not having these attributes/quality hurts us in the end and leads to us just not creating good chances.

We really don't create many good clear cut chances at all. You can see our lack of ability when teams press us.  We simply can't cope and turn over the ball.  I haven't seen us beat the press at all this season. Sadly I see teams beat ours with ease.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Nice touch at the end from Fraser Forster who came over towards the Kingsland to applaud the fans and beat his fist against his chest. Much appreciated by those in the stand and warmly applauded. 

Added to that, one young lad got to go home with his Gloves.

He got a good reception from the Chapel aside from a very small handful of numpties when he took up position at the start of the second half. 

• Like 2

Walcott is definitely playing better but one thing I have noticed about him is that his shots always seem to lack power. I get that he likes to place a shot rather than drill it as hard as he can, but so many of his shots and passes are blocked.

But hats off to him, he deserves to be in the side at the moment.

17 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Caught up with MotD this morning. Surprised that there was no mention of us losing both of our centre backs early in the game

likewise, especially as Kane's uncontested headed goal was aided by the fact we had to play AMN there. I guess he's played in so many positions including CB, that you could argue we weren't having to play a guy `out of position' as a result of injuries.

Thought they might make a little more of the impact Sulemana and Mara had when they came on.  Sulemana was a real threat, getting on the ball in between the lines, being extremely positive and skipping past people. He was impressive and did exactly the kind of things we have wanted to see from him. I've not been impressed at all up until now. He's not done nearly enough or created anything. He certainly did yesterday. Perhaps there is another Mane there after all. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I found that a bit weird tbh.

”right lads we’re now 2 goals down, time to actually give a shit” 

I felt that it was more a case of " look, we know that we have lost both of our centre backs and that things have gone against us but we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get stuck in.....we CAN do this!!!".......might be wrong though.....he could have been taking the Dominoes order for the after-match meal....

• Like 1

Said it before but I think seeing as we have gone back to pressing basics we are always likely to do better against teams that play more than defensive longer ball teams. IIRC Brentford are the most direct team in the league and we just don't seem to have the guille to break teams like that down, we are much better creating some chaos in the opposition or on the transition which showed against Spurs.

And yeh its pretty bad luck to lose two centre-backs, I don't think Kane scores that against Bednerak or ABK, he's decent in the air but not amazing and doesn't have the leap or size of like Haaland who will trouble even the biggest centre-backs. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic