Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread

trousers

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

To me that's the frustrating thing. It was obvious Mara is more suited to this game (City) than he was to (west Ham) away. Play Onachu against West Ham and Mara here.

I'm not a Onuachu fan. Do you think he might score goals for us in the Championship? 

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

he had a poor game last week, mis-controlling twice when we had great chances to break, but if he stops trying to nutmeg everyone all the time, I think there is a player in there. He might score the amount of goals we need next year. Someone will have to.

I'm not sure he's a lone striker. His hold up play is poor. It would be interesting to see him play with Che, making runs off him. But seems like that will never happen, as it would be way too adventurous for our management. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Just seen their first goal back, ABK absolutely dogshite. Overrated as fuck. 

he really was. Rag dolled and left for dead by Haarland. 

Everyien said CBs was our strength, but it's been a shit show all season. 

7 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

None of the players, nor Selles, look stressed or remotely concerned about our position, or during games when we are losing. 

Far too relaxed about everything. 

Yeah. They look like they don't have a care in the world. Laughable.

• Like 3

Feels like we've been here before. One of our best players shoehorned in to LB when we've got a LB on the bench. Bednarek doing his usual marking space for a moderate cross. Don't start me on fucking Elyounoussi - I'll drive him back to Norway myself. Starting without a recognised striker up front. It's all self-inflicted wounds.

Can't blame Sports Republic, they've been prepared to invest but have been very badly advised by Ankersen who's self-inflated opinion of his own capability and thinking outside the box bullshit has been the single biggest reason on our downfall, that and not signing a proven goalscorer. 

We won't get relegated on today's showing. Better sides have lost by more to City and for 44 minutes, we did alright. But today, the daylight truly started to appear through the cracks at the foot of the table. To those who keep saying that we have to keep the faith, there needs to be something to believe in, and it's not there, and I've nothing to make me think it's going to mysteriously appear after the last 30 games.

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 10

Well I did say before the game that we shouldn't be allowed on the same pitch as City, and after today we won't be again for many years I would guess. Gone without so much as a fight.... what a mess SFC is, shyte.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Feels like we've been here before. One of our best players shoehorned in to LB when we've got a LB on the bench. Bednarek doing his usual marking space for a moderate cross. Don't start me on fucking Elyounoussi - I'll drive him back to Norway myself. Starting without a recognised striker up front. It's all self-inflicted wounds.

Can't blame Sports Republic, they've been prepared to invest but have been very badly advised by Ankersen who's self-inflated opinion of his own capability and thinking outside the box bullshit has been the single biggest reason on our downfall, that and not signing a proven goalscorer. 

We won't get relegated on today's showing. Better sides have lost by more to City and for 44 minutes, we did alright. But today, the daylight truly started to appear through the cracks at the foot of the table. To those who keep saying that we have to keep the faith, there needs to be something to believe in, and it's not there, and I've nothing to make me think it's going to mysteriously appear after the last 30 games.

Sport Republic IS Ankerson. He's one of the founders of the company.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

Was a well taken goal by Mara. He's probably the closest we've got to a natural finisher at the club. 

Just needs to be much better without the ball and needs some teammates who will set up some chances for him. 

I agree. It is frustrating that he can only show glimpses of what he is capable of. Would definitely benefit from a more attacking style of play…

41 minutes ago, obelisk said:

City had their big lump of a striker on the pitch. Saints kept their's well wrapped on the bench.

yeah, it would have been a completely different game with the poor man's Kev Francis leading our line.

Edited by Chez

People in the stadium applauding Haaland's second goal.

Approve or disapprove?

It's an interesting one because when Liverpool fans clapped Le Tiss for bamboozling their defence at Anfield it looked great, but when you're nailed to the bottom of the league and desperate for points it doesn't sit as well.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

yeah, it would have been a completely different game with the poor man's Ken Francis leading our line.

Undoubtedly not but what do they say about doing the same thing time after time and expecting something different?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Approve or disapprove?

It's an interesting one because when Liverpool fans clapped Le Tiss for bamboozling their defence at Anfield it looked great, but when you're nailed to the bottom of the league and desperate for points it doesn't sit as well.

Embarrassing. We are the gift that keeps on giving to other teams. Easiest team to play away in the whole football league 

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Approve or disapprove?

There's not enough class on or off the pitch in football. It was quality, and I have no problem with some fans applauding it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

As a 58 year old i dont recall ever seeing a Saints team play without a recognised striker ! Selles is out of his depth in my opinion

Tall Paul isn't up to it and Adams is injured. Who did you want him to play up there? 

6 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

As a 58 year old i dont recall ever seeing a Saints team play without a recognised striker ! Selles is out of his depth in my opinion

When is Che going to be fit? It’s a bit of a sad state of affairs, but we are really missing him on the pitch. 

Edited by SaintTex
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, SaintTex said:

When is Che going to be fit? It’s a bit of a sad state of affairs, but we are really missing him on the pitch. 

Is he actually injured or is he just off? He has had one foot out the door for the last two windows 

21 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Undoubtedly not but what do they say about doing the same thing time after time and expecting something different?

We did something different. We played with a false 9. First time this season. Different isn't always better.

We've not really started Mara all season. We could do that. That would be different. 

15 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

The moder game doesn't require a striker just defenders and a keeper to pass back and forth. It saves the coach having to keep telling players where to find thd goal

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, egg said:

There's not enough class on or off the pitch in football. It was quality, and I have no problem with some fans applauding it. 

He had so much time to do practically anything he wanted with the ball. Could have brought it down, paused and still our shit defence would have been nowhere near him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

We did something different. We played with a false 9. First time this season. Different isn't always better.

We've not really started Mara all season. We could do that. That would be different. 

Having been at West Ham last week I can say, we have tried it, and on that showing probably not worth persevering. 

• Like 4

Hard work makes up for talent and plenty of Saints teams in the past have used the former to beat those better than them. This team has neither. So bad on and off the ball. If you stand around imitating traffic cones against Man City then they will pass it around you with ease, as they did today. They completed 683 passes to our 260. Piss poor.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Having been at West Ham last week I can say, we have tried it, and on that showing probably not worth persevering. 

yeah, he wasn't good. I'm just desperate to find a striker already at the club that will give us a fighting chance of promotion next season.

12 minutes ago, angelman said:

So bored having to sit with away supporters in the Kingsland. Why can't the club do a system where unless you've bought 1, 2 or more Cat C games, you can't buy a Cat A game?

You need to get with the program, it’s a deliberate policy. The ultimate goal is the total elimination of segregation and everyone will live happily ever after in a Watchtower cover photo utopia. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viking Saint said:

To those who keep saying that we have to keep the faith, there needs to be something to believe in, and it's not there

This is the point. Last time we were relegated everyone was saying we were sleepwalking in to relegation. And we did. This time, money has been spent on new players, we know we're in the sh*t but there's no belief. No attacking intent. No plan as to how we get out of the hole we've dug ourselves into. Didn't expect anything from today but next week really will be the end if we don't win.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, egg said:

Tall Paul isn't up to it and Adams is injured. Who did you want him to play up there? 

Maybe give the lad a few games at least before writing him off completely. He can hardly do worse than most of our strikers and has to be better than starting with no striker at all, we held them for forty mins but never looked like scoring, what a crap way to play when you have limited games left and need four or five wins.

• Like 3

I almost miss Nathan. At least the post-match would give a minute or two of entertainment. 

Starting without a striker, including ely, bednarek and theo was indicative of our lack of ambition today, and under selles in general.

Is the tall lad that bad that he gets nearly zero game time? Week in, week out it's the same predictable and ineffective style of play that reaps no reward. Try playing the lad, ffs, he may get a goal or two and kickstart things - it can't be as impotent as this...