Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread

trousers

Assuming Livramento is an option (he travelled with the squad today) then I'd be inclined to start with:

McCarthy

Livramento - Bednarek - ABK - KWP

JWP - Lavia - Alcaraz

Walcott* - Adams - Sulemana

*(Given the season is pretty much done and dusted, I would also be tempted give Doyle a crack of the whip instead of Walcott, on a nothing-to-lose basis, but zero chance of that happening of course as we continue to 'play it safe'...) 

Edited by trousers

Strange one really, Man City play Bayern Munich a few days later but they will go at us early on and I think likely we'll crumble. 

Make the most of such games don't miss the chance to make a Haaland can I have your shirt sign , won't get the opportunity for a while 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Past caring. I've never felt like this supporting Saints. This season has been a complete waste of time. No fight, no battle, no urgency and no quality. 

You are not alone mate! I have never felt so emotionless about it all - which is weird given the efforts I went to as a nipper to get from north Hampshire to Southampton. 

Game over by half time, we’ll be two or three down and won’t lay a glove on them. They’ll take their foot off the gas and keep us at arms length but the more  dopey on here will be hugely encouraged by our second half performance. 

• Haha 1

We have to play a million times better today and that's just to keep the scoreline somewhat respectable.

Obviously stranger things have happened and you never know, but I rate out chances 0/10 of getting anything. Just hope for some sort of positive performance that can be encouraging for the fans going into the must-win Palace game.

• Like 1

Most likely lose this game, rubbish first half performance, better second half but ultimately lose and another zero points. 

I hope the fans who do turn up, fully understand if you can’t be bothered, let Sports Republic and Rasmus know what we think of them and the mess they have created. Some songs directed at Dragan might make him think he has to change things or just sell up.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Most likely lose this game, rubbish first half performance, better second half but ultimately lose and another zero points. 

I hope the fans who do turn up, fully understand if you can’t be bothered, let Sports Republic and Rasmus know what we think of them and the mess they have created. Some songs directed at Dragan might make him think he has to change things or just sell up.

There is quite a few suggestions that Dragan should sell up.
That supposes there are buyers at the right price.
Sports Republic has supplied the funds, probably more than expected,
The problem is that the funds have not been used in the right way.
Recruitment on certain players has been abysmal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trousers said:

Assuming Livramento is an option (he travelled with the squad today) then I'd be inclined to start with:

McCarthy

JWP - Lavia - Alcaraz

*(Given the season is pretty much done and dusted, I would also be tempted give Doyle a crack of the whip instead of Walcott, on a nothing-to-lose basis, but zero chance of that happening of course as we continue to 'play it safe'...) 

I'd give Livramento a few weeks and a B team game. He isn't going to keep us up but will rip up the championship if we can keep him (and KWP will probably go) so I'd focus on his long term recovery now.

• Like 4

On 02/04/2023 at 18:15, trousers said:

McCarthy

JWP - Lavia - Alcaraz

What ? No Ely ?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

You are not alone mate! I have never felt so emotionless about it all - which is weird given the efforts I went to as a nipper to get from north Hampshire to Southampton. 

Ditto! It feels so empty, inevitable and as if nobody from the club , upstairs right through to the players don’t seem to be worried. If they don’t care why should we? 
Maybe it’s the way football has become, the rich are so far ahead and football with this tippy tappy backwards possession stuff is so boring to watch. 

8 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

My daughter and I have ST's but we are unable to go to this game. We put our tickets on the Ticket Exchange and they sold within about 20 minutes!! Mind you....that was before yesterday......

City fans or English premier league soccerball fans?

Unfortunately it's one of those that shouldn't be allowed, football needs to be weighted like boxing now, then we wouldn't have to step on the same grass as City!  Perversely I'll be pretty pissed if we get anything against this lot having already secured our demise by pissing away points against much easier opposition.  Couldn't give a toss either way to be honest. 

No point in this game. We will get absolutely spanked. 

But if we don’t play Lavia, Alcaraz and JWP every single minute we possibly can, I want selles gone too. Clueless management this weekend.

I have heard that Che will be out for a little while. 

I would play this as much as possible for the rest of the season:

Paul

Sulemana Alcaraz Edozie

lavia JWP

Perraud Salisu ABK KWP

Mccarthy 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I'd give Livramento a few weeks and a B team game. He isn't going to keep us up but will rip up the championship if we can keep him (and KWP will probably go) so I'd focus on his long term recovery now.

Fair point 👍

31 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

But if we don’t play Lavia, Alcaraz and JWP every single minute we possibly can, I want selles gone too. Clueless management this weekend.

Paul

Sulemana Alcaraz Edozie

lavia JWP

Perraud Salisu ABK KWP

Mccarthy 

If Che is back, he starts. Otherwise its that team but with Bazunu.

Due to other commitments and a changed time for TV I’ll not be watching this one, but have to say I’m kind of pleased I’ll not be putting myself through the pain once again. City will win comfortably - the score doesn’t matter as we’re down anyway. The line up matters not a jot as Selles will inevitably pick Ely-no-usey and our most skilled players will be left on the bench.

Prediction? 1-6. More of the same ineffective backwards and sideways bull.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
typo

On 02/04/2023 at 22:14, Crab Lungs said:

Can’t wait to see Moi chasing shadows again.  

Worryingly, he can’t even catch his own one 

Don't forget Mara running round like a lost Sheep (No brainer to start him against West Ham apparently)🤐

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Paul

Sulemana Alcaraz Edozie

lavia JWP

Perraud Salisu ABK KWP

Mccarthy 

I wish you were the Manager.    Something like that line up is what we needed v West Ham.     All confidence in Selles is gone - but he must now show a bit of adventure and bravery with his team selection.

Whats peoples opinion of playing Lavia further forward? He seems to me the only one with an ounce of ability and on multiple occasions this season he has ghosted past midfielders.

Penetrative passes in the final third are sorely missing, as is forwards making runs, it could be worth a shout?

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Whats peoples opinion of playing Lavia further forward? He seems to me the only one with an ounce of ability and on multiple occasions this season he has ghosted past midfielders.

Penetrative passes in the final third are sorely missing, as is forwards making runs, it could be worth a shout?

Why play our best defensive midfielder out of position you are weakening 2 positions.

Charley can do that he just has to up his off the ball work and almost do anything (almost pass, almost tackle, almost mark space etc)to get in the team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why play our best defensive midfielder out of position you are weakening 2 positions.

Charley can do that he just has to up his off the ball work and almost do anything (almost pass, almost tackle, almost mark space etc)to get in the team.

Yeah I get what you are saying. I'm a big Charly fan so would also want him in the team. I just want to see players in the final third who can actually break teams down. Be it with a trick like Sulemana or a pass. Lavia is the only one to me who can seem to make incisive passes.

Would it be much worse if say AMN played alongside JWP as the 2 CDM and Lavia played off a CF with Charly and Sulemana eitherside.

I'm not saying it would be perfect but at this point anything is worth a go as what we are doing right now is pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Yeah I get what you are saying. I'm a big Charly fan so would also want him in the team. I just want to see players in the final third who can actually break teams down. Be it with a trick like Sulemana or a pass. Lavia is the only one to me who can seem to make incisive passes.

Would it be much worse if say AMN played alongside JWP as the 2 CDM and Lavia played off a CF with Charly and Sulemana eitherside.

I'm not saying it would be perfect but at this point anything is worth a go as what we are doing right now is pretty bad.

Lavia is at his best when breaking up play, getting on the ball, turning and having the game in front of him. I wouldnt think moving him forward would add to us or him. 

He’s one of the only positions in the team that doesn’t need changing. Our problem is everyone else, not him.. he just needs help. 

It’s difficult for me to understand why successive managers haven’t played our best players in their best positions, and I don’t want to see more of it  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Lavia is at his best when breaking up play, getting on the ball, turning and having the game in front of him. I wouldnt think moving him forward would add to us or him. 

He’s one of the only positions in the team that doesn’t need changing. Our problem is everyone else, not him.. he just needs help. 

It’s difficult for me to understand why successive managers haven’t played our best players in their best positions, and I don’t want to see more of it  

That's a fair point. I think I have lost so much hope in this team, I am searching for any quality and Lavia is the one to me who produces it most often. 

The more I think about it, the more I agree with your point and that of GITR replying to my first point. Back to the mental drawing board.

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Would agree. The related issue is that he would need players intelligent enough to make the runs for him to feed. Very few - if any - are on that wavelength. Or suited to it. Adams is generally better with his back to goal and bringing in others or when he doesn’t have time or need to think, and Onuachu needs decent crosses. We’re not set up to have Lavia further forward. And then there’s the question of plugging the hole he would leave at DM….

12 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Paul

Sulemana Alcaraz Edozie

lavia JWP

Perraud Salisu ABK KWP

Mccarthy 

Doubt we'll see Edozie - seeing as he fell ill just before the away game against his "parent" club.

Can we please try putting Lyanco upfront for this one?

We've already tried everyone else and they've been shit, so why not?

At least you know he'll scare the shit out of everyone when he charges around. He may even kick lumps out of their defence and who knows, might get a lucky goal.

Maybe this is the front footed aggression that the Welsh prick was looking for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Bazanu

KWP Bednarek Salisu(otherwise DCC) Perraud

JWP Alcaraz Lavia

Walcott Adams (otherwise Mara) Djenepo 

As much as i want to see Onachu given a proper go, Man City isn't the game for that. However i've got the sinking this will be the one he's thrown into rather a more suitable game.

I was lucky on Sunday due to my 2pm local league K.O. and beyond hearing we'd lost (quelle surprise) I haven't read or watched anything on the game and haven't even seen what the line up was. For some reason I thought the Man City game was away and could I steel myself to watch the game at my local (mainly Pompey) pub.. So it's at home I realised late yesterday, which doesn't fill me with enthusiasm..

The only saving grace is that there do appear to be trains running, so I'll no doubt gird my loins and take advantage of not driving and the ability to have a few drinks before hand. Might have to be a cheap 'spoons I'm going to need so much anaesthesia. At least the hope won't kill me any more.

15 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Paul

Sulemana Alcaraz Edozie

lavia JWP

Perraud Salisu ABK KWP

Mccarthy 

Yeah, me too. Well almost. Che if he's fit, and we know Edozie's been consigned to the U12s so I'd settle for Theo or Moussa, and Baz in goal. 

But as someone said earlier in the thread, lightning doesn't strike twice. 1-4 but we still believe in the process post-match.

8 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Bazanu

KWP Bednarek Salisu(otherwise DCC) Perraud

JWP Alcaraz Lavia

Walcott Adams (otherwise Mara) Djenepo 

As much as i want to see Onachu given a proper go, Man City isn't the game for that. However i've got the sinking this will be the one he's thrown into rather a more suitable game.

what constitutes a more suitable game then? we bought him on the premise hes our guy to score goals yes? we dont have the luxury of more suitable games left ,and those more suitable games (we all know which ones) we never turn up for anyway. 8-0 city not quite the dreaded 9.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I often say that 'City are one of those sides that, if things fall the right way, could score ten against a lot of teams'. 

We are one of those teams.

I'm sure we've got one more 9-0 in us to close out this premier league era, not sure it will be on Saturday though. 

City fan I know reckons if Haaland isn't 100% they'll keep him for the tougher game they play on Tuesday night, if City go 2 or 3 up I think they'll just look to see the game out without any injuries and save themselves for Bayern Munich 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic