Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread

trousers

Going to be carnage the players know we are down and theres nothing to play for other than pride and we all know what they are like playing for pride! 

I would be extremely surprised if we don't concede at least three.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Going to be carnage the players know we are down and theres nothing to play for other than pride and we all know what they are like playing for pride! 

Sorry when was it confirmed we are down? Source?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

I think failing to Palace could well be the point of effective no return - subject to other results. Will require some seriously impressive performances vs better sides to get us out of it if we don't get 3 points there.

34/35 points remains roughly the magic number.

Which means 3 points vs:

• Palace (h) = 26pts
  • Bournemouth (h) = 29pts
  • Nottingham (a) = 32pts
  • Fulham (h) = 35points

Any draws we get out of City (h), arsenal (a), Newcastle (a), BHA (a), or Liverpool (h) are free hits given how we are playing - free hits that we might need to get points from 😆.

But fail to win one of the above games and we're at best getting 33points assuming we somehow win the others - and we would then need results from sides in the top 8 positions. A grim outlook. Especially as if we fail to beat palace and we should be absolutely adrift by the time we play Bournemouth.

Our goal difference is certainly something of an issue as well.

Edited by Saint86
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Not really, seems to be missing the last 9 games. What happened to them? 

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Not really, seems to be missing the last 9 games. What happened to them? 

I kind of admire your belief that it ain’t over til it’s over but at the same time convince yourself it is, you can only be pleasantly surprised that way if a miracle happens 🤣

• Like 1

Personally think we'll beat Palace and Bournemouth and end up bottom on 29 points. The most dismal season of all, with a club run by morons and a team consisting of shit mercenaries

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Can anyone remind me why no interest was shown in Callum Wilson when Bournemouth were relegated  2020 ?

Because at the time we had Ings who was a year younger and had just finished 3rd in the Prem top scorers list, one behind Vardy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Can anyone remind me why no interest was shown in Callum Wilson when Bournemouth were relegated  2020 ?

I’m sure there’s still someone on here that would have said something along the lines of “he’s shit, wouldn’t score goals here, overrated championship striker”

Remember when some posters didn’t want Eddie Howe here in place of Ralph? The mind boggles.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I’m sure there’s still someone on here that would have said something along the lines of “he’s shit, wouldn’t score goals here, overrated championship striker”

Remember when some posters didn’t want Eddie Howe here in place of Ralph? The mind boggles.

At the time Howe's reputation had taken a hammering , he went from NEM to failing badly at B'mouth and having extended time out to recover !

Big Paul up front ...Orsic , Sulemana  either side ...Alcaraz, Lavia , Prowse ,...Kwp, Caleta car , Bednerak,Perraud,....Bazunu.       No chance of this happening though !  Be a boring and defensive team again !

Edited by gammon cheeks
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Big Paul up front ...Orsic , Sulemana  either side ...Alcaraz, Lavia , Prowse ,...Kwp, Caleta car , Bednerak,Perraud,....Bazunu.       No chance of this happening though !  Be a boring and defensive team again !

I might put Theo in ahead of Orsic but that would at least make it interesting.

I know Selles likes to start with defensive wide men to delay conceding the first goal, but as Stu and Ely were both terrible last week so....

Baz 

KWP ABK/DCC Bednarek perraud

Lavia AMN

J WP       Alcarez        Sulemama

Tall Paul

Leaves us a bit open on the left , so Djenepo in for Sulemana if you want more cover. 

Sule and alcaraz to link up with Paul ,JWP to cross the ball high every time he  gets the ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

I don't see the logic in starting tall paul a game where where we probably aren't going to have much of the ball.

Orsic has done nothing on any of his outings to suggest their a premier league player there.

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't see the logic in starting tall paul a game where where we probably aren't going to have much of the ball.

Orsic has done nothing on any of his outings to suggest their a premier league player there.

Well when we do get the ball we can be a bit more direct with tall Paul instead of sideways crab football that is getting us no where ! Orsic has not really had a decent run in the team that is creating nowt !

Is anyone still interested?

This terrible season has beaten it out of me. Started with the awful kit (seriously do people get paid for designing that crap? - shocking) progressed through mismanagement of the Ralph transition, incredulously bad hire of the mad Welshman, default cop-out to Selles (who is very far from the messiah and whose principal aim it seems to be to look cool in high-necked coats and manage boring defeats by the odd goal...something we were already masters of). Add to that millions wasted on ridiculous recruitment of unfit players like Orsic, or non-scorers like everybody else.

West Ham last week was the final straw. Lost before kick-off when the predictably boring lineup was announced. Elyounoussi first name on the team sheet no doubt. Now no Adams, Salisu, ABK....does it matter? Nope.

Is there any hope of us staying up? If Man City and Everton get sufficient points deductions to get relegated (ha ha ha ha, it'll never happen)...we'd only need one team to be worse than us.

Unfortunately, there's nobody worse than us.

Oh, the score, doesn't really matter - it'll be something for them (probably 4 or 5) and nil for us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Just want to see a bit of fight. Not too much to ask for surely. 

Which we'll probably get vs Man City. It's the lack of fight against the West Hams of this world that is so frustrating.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Just want to see a bit of fight. Not too much to ask for surely. 

Is that the issue though, really? I'd say a team without fight is one which downs tools when the going gets tough. 1-0 down at half time becomes 4-0 in the second half, etc. We aren't doing that, we just look bereft of ideas, confidence and joy. Every game just seems like an uphill slog against the inevitable.

On 05/04/2023 at 15:16, Saint86 said:

I think failing to Palace could well be the point of effective no return - subject to other results. Will require some seriously impressive performances vs better sides to get us out of it if we don't get 3 points there.

34/35 points remains roughly the magic number.

Which means 3 points vs:

• Palace (h) = 26pts
  • Bournemouth (h) = 29pts
  • Nottingham (a) = 32pts
  • Fulham (h) = 35points

Any draws we get out of City (h), arsenal (a), Newcastle (a), BHA (a), or Liverpool (h) are free hits given how we are playing - free hits that we might need to get points from 😆.

But fail to win one of the above games and we're at best getting 33points assuming we somehow win the others - and we would then need results from sides in the top 8 positions. A grim outlook. Especially as if we fail to beat palace and we should be absolutely adrift by the time we play Bournemouth.

Our goal difference is certainly something of an issue as well.

I don’t think we’ll get 30.

• Sad 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Man City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic