Some of selles stats worse than jones.

Roger

Take away the Spurs game and you'll find we have become boring and predictable, no wonder we barely have any attacking flair. Why oh why did we give this man the job full time when there was no need to give it to him. Wigley still lives in southampton, maybe selles could take some tips

• Like 1

xG and xGA so frequently bare no resemblance to the result of a game that they are pretty meaningless stats. They seem to have been created to support narratives rather to give any sort of insight.

Selles has more points than Jones from fewer games against arguably tougher opposition - that's the only stat that matters for me.

Edited by StrangelyBrown
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Take away the Spurs game and you'll find we have become boring and predictable, no wonder we barely have any attacking flair. Why oh why did we give this man the job full time when there was no need to give it to him. Wigley still lives in southampton, maybe selles could take some tips

We’ve got our identity back, at times during the West Ham game I knew I was watching saints. Particularly the time when they floated a routine free kick in the penalty area and West Ham players were left unmarked to score. 

• Haha 4

Surely the only stat that matters are the points on the board? That's the only comparison you can make to determine if x is better than y.

Jones - 7 games - 3 points.  (6 defeats out of 7)

Selles - 7 games - 8 points. (3 defeats out of 7)

Not ground breaking levels of improvement, but it's a bit misleading to say our stats are worse as the only ones that matter in my eyes are the points.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Surely the only stat that matters are the points on the board? That's the only comparison you can make to determine if x is better than y.

Not ground breaking levels of improvement, but it's a bit misleading to say our stats are worse as the only ones that matter in my eyes are the points.

There has been no improvment at all. Jones had the Everton game, Selles had Chelsea, the rest has been sh*te from both of them. If Wolves had missed all the chances Leicester did, we'd have won that game. If Forrest had given away a soft, late penalty like Spurs did, we'd have got a draw.

The difference between the two can be summed up in one word; luck.

• Like 1

I can't believe there are people on here defending Jones!! It makes you wonder who some of the people who post on Saintsweb are and what agenda they have!!

I'm not for a moment saying that Saints haves set the world alight under Selles, but at least we are now showing the semblance of a team that can compete at this level! With Jones we would just about be already relegated!

Like others have said, real, meaningful stats and fantasy stats like xG are very different. If you prefer the fantasy variety, go back to playing Football Manager derivative games where you can dream of a side containing all your favourites from other clubs!

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There has been no improvment at all. Jones had the Everton game, Selles had Chelsea, the rest has been sh*te from both of them. If Wolves had missed all the chances Leicester did, we'd have won that game. If Forrest had given away a soft, late penalty like Spurs did, we'd have got a draw.

If, if, if. Fucking hell, give the bloke a chance.

He’s got more points in his 7 games, than Ralph’s first 7 this season, I suppose that’s “luck” as well. Ralph then went on to lose his next 2 games, so had 7 points from 9 games, and it only took Selles 4 games to match that pathetic total. I seem to recall you were a supporter of Ralph, so I guess that’s why you’re peddling this “luck” pony. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

How can you say that? I can see in front of me, black and white, 5 extra points from arguably a tougher set of fixtures (Utd away, Chelsea home, Spurs home etc).

Luck comes into it, but it's not as straight forward as that - you make your own luck. 

Not sure how anyone can say there has been no improvement, crazy view.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s got more points in his 7 games, than Ralph’s first 7 this season, I suppose that’s “luck” as well. Ralph then went on to lose his next 2 games, so had 7 points from 9 games, and it only took Selles 4 games to match that pathetic total. I seem to recall you were a supporter of Ralph, so I guess that’s why you’re peddling this “luck” pony. 

I've given him a chance; he looks crap, no better than Jones and only has more points thanks to luck. 40% of his points have come from Ihenacho turning up in his toblerone shoes. Ralph didn't have Sully, Alcaraz or Paul and Lavia got injured after five games.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I missed the early days of Jones tenure when you were absolutely salivating about how wonderful and aggressive the team were now and what an improvement he had made.

Absolutely revelling in how right you were being proved. Oh the hubris of the pub expert.

Unfortunately both he and you fucking shat the bed.

One day you might be able to get over it x x x 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I missed the early days of Jones tenure when you were absolutely salivating about how wonderful and aggressive the team were now and what an improvement he had made.

Absolutely revelling in how right you were being proved. Oh the hubris of the pub expert.

Unfortunately both he and you fucking shat the bed.

Hilarious you are now backing nothing more than a Spanish son-in-law merchant for no other reason than the fact that he isn't Ralph Hasenhuttl. That's it, that's the only reason you are backing him. Son in law, moisturising foreign ponce but Duckhunter seal of approval through who he happens to not be.

One day you might be able to get over it x x x 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

We have been shit with all three managers this season.

We have had three shit managers this season.

It’s all been so avoidable.  The management of the club from the execs down has been absolutely woeful.  

Hopefully Jason Wilcox won’t fuck off to Chelsea or Man City and will run the football side of things, including managerial appointments.

Rasmus can spend Saturday afternoons wanking off over his spreadsheets and Semmens will hopefully have a lot more time to spend with his family.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

If, if , if. Utter nonesense.  Every match ever played has an "if only" moment. Just cherry picking the ones that suit your agenda  is ridiculous.  Genuine "luck happens once in a blue moon, I guess you thought the likes of Alex Ferguson just got lucky year after year.

• Like 3

• Roger changed the title to Some of selles stats worse than jones.
2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

This is a bit like a Rasmus theory on Fine Margins#  from one of his online Ted Talks.

Or perhaps  you lifted this from Rasmus’ Easter Message ? 

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

If, if , if. Utter nonesense.  Every match ever played has an "if only" moment. Just cherry picking the ones that suit your agenda  is ridiculous.  Genuine "luck happens once in a blue moon, I guess you thought the likes of Alex Ferguson just got lucky year after year.

So you think we were good against Leicester and Casemiro being sent off was a tactical ploy by Selles? I could buy your argument if we weren’t dreadful in every game when we didn’t have luck. 

I mean what do people expect, of course a novice manager is being found out against world class experienced managers - only a lunatic would think that would work in a relegation battle. The same lunatic who thought a long ball nutcase who had failed at a similar club to us would somehow surprise everyone. 
He’s done well given what he’s inherited and his experience but playing like that in the Championship we’ll have no chance. We also need to bring in a lot more height and strength - the team of small inexperienced kids we have will be beaten up there.

On the plus side this is a genuinely exciting chance for a manager to start again. Someone who can bring a new style / players that suit / their own coaching squad / money to spend.

Of course the well known issue is the sheer arrogance of our leadership making this decision, it’s at best 50/50 that they don’t balls this up and appoint some left field strategy which only they’ve spotted as they are so clever. 
We don’t need to be clever here, we need to do this by the numbers - get a proven manager in with a short term (2 yr max) goal of taking us up. If that means buying a few expensive 32 year olds with zero sell on value, or players without a ceiling to become a Prem star but actually just bloody good / nasty sods in the championship then we do it. Oh and an experienced gk please. As Burnley proved its also a great chance to play the loan system - something we’ve again had a pretty poor record of.

• Like 1

He's simply the fall guy in a season of complete and utter incompetence by so many so called professionals at the club.   The 2 managers that got us relegated will not have their cv's tarnished with relegation from the Premiere League,  that will be on Rubens record.  No he's not the answer, but he was offered an opportunity that no one in their right mind would pass up.  Not his fault, I mean how many clubs could actually appoint 3 crap managers in a single season? 

Selles is too much of a cautious Carol for me. The time has come....or will do next Saturday against Palace, where caution has to take a back seat cos this really is shit or bust, moreso than the previous shit or bust games which we have blown every bloody time. We cant blow this one ! 

• Like 1

The change at Palace has demonstrated how badly wrong we have got our managerial appointments this season.

For a former manager to come out of retirement and change the course of their whole season in two games, just shows how the delay in sacking Ralph and then the appointment of Jones condemned us to relegation - a path confirmed by asking Selles to save the shitshow of a season.

Yes, the players have been dreadful, but so were the Palace players until someone with half a brain got them organised, playing in their correct positions and in a system that they all understand.

The buck stops at board level - it's been a shocking performance by them.

• Like 5

On 08/04/2023 at 11:21, S-Clarke said:

The stat of how many times you relentlessly pick elyoufuckingnoussi whilst ignoring the work we did in January to strengthen maybe overweighting that for me :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

The change at Palace has demonstrated how badly wrong we have got our managerial appointments this season.

For a former manager to come out of retirement and change the course of their whole season in two games, just shows how the delay in sacking Ralph and then the appointment of Jones condemned us to relegation - a path confirmed by asking Selles to save the shitshow of a season.

Yes, the players have been dreadful, but so were the Palace players until someone with half a brain got them organised, playing in their correct positions and in a system that they all understand.

The buck stops at board level - it's been a shocking performance by them.

Palace are a different kettle of fish though in the sense of the quality they have at their disposal. A seriously stronger squad than us and at a smaller outlay, so our recruitment is once again winning the day - not. It wouldn't take a great deal to lift them away with the threats they have in the final third.

I think we were a bit of a lost cause for whoever managed us this year, although quite amazingly Jones did manage to make an impossible situation even worse. 

• Like 1

I'm sick and tired of watching JWP and the centrebacks suck the life out of every game. Jones stumbled on a possible forward line against Manchester City but was too thick to see it. Selles is a coach with a masters and a list of coaching qualifications and jobs as long as your arm. He has no common sense related to football and definitely does not see what makes a team.

His stupidity is transparent in thinking he can play four forwards who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo (Australian shovel ! )  and win games. Onuachu is a box player and needs a partner (Alcarez or Mara ). The two wide players need to play on their natural sides. Sulemana on the left or Walcott will just cut in which is useless for the strikers. Djenepo and Sulemana need to go down the lines and get crosses in. 

JWP needs to get his head out of his arse and forget what's behind him and play forward, Lavia is no problem. Play KWP on his natural right and Perraud on the left There's no other natural left sided fullback and he will get crosses in as will KWP. 

It's simple. It's a case of a clear picture and round pegs in round holes. That team will outperform anything we've put out under Selles because the players are all in natural positions and JWP and the centre backs have to play forward immediately. When a full back goes up the line the other full back joins up with the two centrebacks behind one of the midfielders holding. 

Edited by derry
  • Like 4