Russell Martin

LegalEagle

35 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

They'd all require compensation wouldn't they. Parker seems another Martin to me who almost bungled Bournemouth re-promotion despite massive investment.

I have been half joking about Nige but seeing those names i'm thinking i should consider it more seriously.

You saying Parker getting promoted twice in three years with different clubs is a fluke?

48 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Tbf there’s not a lot of point in sacking him, Sports Republic will only go and find us someone worse.

Whether I want him gone or not, I'd actually like this to see who they'd get this time out. Like they would have to actively seek out someone who's utterly useless but still qualified as a manager. It would take some doing...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think we’re all just sick of one experiment after another. This one looks like it’s going to be a disaster too at the moment. 

let’s go back to basics, be a normal club, stop trying to be clever. Get a manager on who knows how to get promoted and make us tough to beat 

Sounds so simple mate, but you're spot on. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Forester said:

Genuine options that I think could work for club and fans:

Scott Parker.  Has two promotions as manager from this division on his CV

Chris Hughton.  Again proven in this division with promotions

Tony Mowbray.  Ditto, would require us to pay compensation.  Brother already works for the club

None of these three play long ball football but all have more balance about them than RM kamikazee football

Mowbray is a really good shout. In the summer it might have been a touch underwhelming (but then again so was martin), but now expectations have somewhat reduced, he's been there and done it and as shown a few weeks back, tactically is miles ahead of Martin. 

He gets his sides playing decent football as well - It'd be a big yes for me. We need someone who's been there and done it to turn this ship around, not another gamble on a young up and coming manager who cannot handle these situations. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think we’re all just sick of one experiment after another. This one looks like it’s going to be a disaster too at the moment. 

let’s go back to basics, be a normal club, stop trying to be clever. Get a manager on who knows how to get promoted and make us tough to beat 

Rasmus doesn't like normality and he definitely has to be clever. While he's involved we have to accept garbage like 'if it ain't broke break it' and looking for players and managers who aren't any good because we'll improve them. It's the recipe for what we are being served up. A lot of hipster nonsense from a bloke who is nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.

• Like 13

When Nathan jones walked out the door deep down he must have thought “fuck me, I’ll go down as the worst Southampton manager ever”. Little did he know that within 6 months, that would become debatable. There’s no way on earth we’d be in a worse position today had Jones had taken over a relegated team. 

Who would have thought it. A year ago I thought Branfoot was the worst Manger we’ve ever had, within 12 months he’s out of the relegation zone thanks to Nathan, Selles & Lego head. 

Fuck me!!!!

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, Forester said:

You saying Parker getting promoted twice in three years with different clubs is a fluke?

Not flukes but he's been at Yo Yo clubs. Taken Fulham down twice and up once. Taken a Bournemouth side that missed out in the play offs 1 step further. It is not without worth but it doesn't seem a great fit for a club that seems to be a complete mess imo.

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Rasmus doesn't like normality and he definitely has to be clever. While he's involved we have to accept garbage like 'if it ain't broke break it' and looking for players and managers who aren't any good because we'll improve them. It's the recipe for what we are being served up. A lot of hipster nonsense from a bloke who is nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is.

Wanker probably wears drainpipe chinos and vapes like a cunt as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

not that the manager is woefully out of his depth?

19 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

He isn't out of his depth, he's managed at this level the last couple of seasons!

By that logic, you're saying that Hassenhuttl (for example) wouldn't be out of his depth managing the likes Man City... 

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

When Nathan jones walked out the door deep down he must have thought “fuck me, I’ll go down as the worst Southampton manager ever”. Little did he know that within 6 months, that would become debatable. There’s no way on earth we’d be in a worse position today had Jones had taken over a relegated team. 

Who would have thought it. A year ago I thought Branfoot was the worst Manger we’ve ever had, within 12 months he’s out of the relegation zone thanks to Nathan, Selles & Lego head. 

Fuck me!!!!

"Lego head"

Have to admit that just made me laugh out loud 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t normally post on here but always read the posts. I really wanted this guy to succeed. We have had a nightmare after getting rid of Ralph. But this bloke really doesn’t have a clue. He doesn’t appear to know his best team. Everything seems to be hit and hope. We appear to have no defensive coach, midfield coach, attacking coach!!! I do honestly think that most championship managers would have us in the top 4. 

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Not flukes but he's been at Yo Yo clubs. Taken Fulham down twice and up once. Taken a Bournemouth side that missed out in the play offs 1 step further. It is not without worth but it doesn't seem a great fit for a club that seems to be a complete mess imo.

Parker is a fantastic fit in comparison to this utter bellend. The stats in your post prove it even though you are trying to argue he wouldn't be a good appointment!

• Like 4

Anyone know what the training sessions under Martin look like?

Wouldn't be surprised if the Keepers and Defence spend the first hour on their own, the midfield and attackers do the same and then they finish with half an hour of attack v defence. No cohesion between the two groups at all. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Keepers and Defence spend the first hour on their own, the midfield and attackers do the same and then they finish with half an hour of attack v defence. No cohesion between the two groups at all. 

Lots of unisex hairstyling in fluffy dressing gowns, rhythmic chanting, walking over hot coals, five yards sideways, bravery motivational talk with Bear Grylls and Matt Hancock, group love in led by Russ in the big beanbag room, young men window distraction / scar tissue awareness with Nathan Jones and Philip Schofield, zen anger release. Fin. 

• Haha 2

When we were relegated, myself and a few others were of the strong belief that we needed an experienced head to guide us through. It was going to be a summer of immence change and we needed someone in place who is used to that and is able to manage the egos, unhappy players and all that malarky which goes on. We didn't need someone who is everyone's mate.

These players need guidance from experienced people, the club is bereft of any experience. This summer was not the time to play with the vanity project again. It was pretty simple.

All of this philosophy bollocks is so overdone. You build a football team to win games, by hook or by crook. We just seem to be someone's experiment and I've totally and utterly fallen out of love with it all.

People were saying it will be good to get relegated and have a reset - but if we got the decisions wrong post relegation it would end up being a miserable existence, and that is exactly what is happening.

We may turn it around, sure, but any hope of a fun promotion season are all but gone - so what is there to look forward to in this cesspit of a league now?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Lots of unisex hairstyling in fluffy dressing gowns, rhythmic chanting, walking over hot coals, five yards sideways, bravery motivational talk with Bear Grylls and Matt Hancock, group love in led by Russ in the big beanbag room, young men window distraction / scar tissue awareness with Nathan Jones and Philip Schofield, zen anger release. Fin. 

Actually … do you think anyone has thought to feng shui the sh1t out of Marchwood and St Mary’s?

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

This, in spades. I am sick to death of our football club being a vanity project for dick heads who aren’t as clever as they think they are. 

• Like 5

We have a director of football who is bringing in a particular type of player: young, future potential, high sell on fee prospects.

We have a manager that wants to play a particular way and style of football: sideways passing, patient and boring build up etc.

If those players aren’t aligned to playing a managers style then why did they get brought in.

Thats the thing currently, for example, we have players who are more than capable at pressing and running the lines and getting in behind defenders in Edozie, Fraser and Sulemana. 
Our managers current tactics don’t have us playing to their strengths.

We should be absolutely playing to players strengths rather than one blokes preferred style.
If it’s being rammed down the throat from the manager that we have to pass out from the back, then it’s no surprise we keep making defensive errors trying to walk it out.

Play to players strengths and the style of play and results will follow.
Very basic and very simple.

A lot won’t see that. But having watched some of the games this season there were times when we had five players within a square ten yards of each other and no one anywhere else. Gaps open and no one there. Alternatively players that could go one on one with a defender and backing off.

Play to players strengths.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Interesting at Swansea he had young men who couldn’t cope and here he’s saying he’s got young men who can’t cope. What’s the common denominator?

He needs to walk into the changing room on Monday morning and say, "Young man, there's no need to feel down."

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, ChrisPY said:

Yes I do. Witnessed it myself. They all put on orange gowns, Russ bangs a gong, they light hundreds of josticks and begin one hour of throat chanting. He bangs a gong a second time  and they tuck into their tofu and mung beans. After the healthy and nutritious lunch they discuss past lives and reincarnation. This doesn’t routinely  happen but Che Adams treading on a worm during tippy tippy sideways drills upset quite a few people I can tell you!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

When we were relegated, myself and a few others were of the strong belief that we needed an experienced head to guide us through. It was going to be a summer of immence change and we needed someone in place who is used to that and is able to manage the egos, unhappy players and all that malarky which goes on. We didn't need someone who is everyone's mate.

These players need guidance from experienced people, the club is bereft of any experience. This summer was not the time to play with the vanity project again. It was pretty simple.

All of this philosophy bollocks is so overdone. You build a football team to win games, by hook or by crook. We just seem to be someone's experiment and I've totally and utterly fallen out of love with it all.

People were saying it will be good to get relegated and have a reset - but if we got the decisions wrong post relegation it would end up being a miserable existence, and that is exactly what is happening.

We may turn it around, sure, but any hope of a fun promotion season are all but gone - so what is there to look forward to in this cesspit of a league now?

It's not this league that's a cesspit - it's our football club. Nothing wrong with the Championship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Mowbray is a really good shout. In the summer it might have been a touch underwhelming (but then again so was martin), but now expectations have somewhat reduced, he's been there and done it and as shown a few weeks back, tactically is miles ahead of Martin. 

He gets his sides playing decent football as well - It'd be a big yes for me. We need someone who's been there and done it to turn this ship around, not another gamble on a young up and coming manager who cannot handle these situations. 

Too much of a common sense manager who’ll work on the training ground to get the team sorted and play in a joined up fashion. He won’t appeal to our board who have to have a “philosophy” and adhere to a blueprint, even when it isn’t working.

I’d welcome a solid football manager like him. But can you see him “aligning” with the skinny latte/green tea tossers at our club these days ? 

• Like 6

I'm really down about the state of the club at the moment. But the thing is, Martin won 7 of his last 9 games at Swansea. If his tactics are so easily found out then it apparently wasn't obvious to other teams then.

And since then, Swansea have only managed one win this season under their new manager.

So grim as things are, Martin simply can't be as much of a mug as he seems like at the moment.

We can point to mistakes that Martin has undoubtedly made but something deeper is wrong at this club and it seems to be wrong whoever is in charge of the team

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm really down about the state of the club at the moment. But the thing is, Martin won 7 of his last 9 games at Swansea. If his tactics are so easily found out then it apparently wasn't obvious to other teams then.

And since then, Swansea have only managed one win this season under their new manager.

So grim as things are, Martin simply can't be as much of a mug as he seems like at the moment.

We can point to mistakes that Martin has undoubtedly made but something deeper is wrong at this club and it seems to be wrong whoever is in charge of the team

A blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Also I haven't looked at those fixtures, but how many were against teams on the beach?

He's a disaster, his tactics and team set up are beyond pathetic.

But yes, there is something deeper that is wrong at this club. His name is Rasmus W. Ankersen.

• Like 7

I’m absolutely gutted

After our first 4 league games I really thought we’d turned a corner and found the right man. 

Im trying to be as pragmatic as possible, the last two defeats and the last 3 goals have all come about through individual mistakes, ordinarily you’d not blame the manager for glaring mistakes made by players.

Excluding the mistakes made by Charles/Holgate/Harwood-Bellis for the last 3 goals we’ve conceded, Downes/Smallbone/Manning/KWP/Charles/Harwood-Bellis/Holgate have all given the ball away on multiple other occasions that could and probably should have led to us conceding more! This isn’t by trying to play difficult/intricate passes, we’re talking the inability to play 4/5 yard passes to a team mate and instead playing straight into the oppositions feet or dwelling on the ball for too long.

Why is that?? 

Burns from Ipswich said after the game “It was easy to read where their passes were going, and you saw a lot of the time that they were kicking balls away, off the field or straight to us, because we’re shutting angles that we know they want to play”

Is our intensity so poor in training that those angles are open in training but not in games, lulling the mgmt and players into a false sense of security that we have the personnel to play a specific way?

Martin is cultivating an environment where he wants us to be “Brave”, individuals mistakes aren’t being punished by the manager if their in-line with how we’re looking to play, but those mistakes are consistently costing us points, so in that context Martin is as culpable for those individuals mistakes as the players, it’s clear mistake’s are indicative of the way Martin is trying to have us play and the environment he’s created.

Team selections and substitutions have been questionable and sometimes it’s easy to point at those to berate the manager but we don’t know the ins and outs of players fitnesses/how they’ve been training/their mentality etc so I don’t want to look too much into that.  

However there is a point to make about selections when it comes to consistently picking players who are making mistakes and cultivating that environment of “bravery” where individuals mistakes go unpunished by the manager. Players who consistently make mistakes should be dropped, no question!

lastly, post match interviews, consistently talking absolute bollocks!!!

Against Leicester we were an embarrassment, every Saints fan and media publication write up saw it that way too

”Leicester tear through terrible Southampton”

”Leicester thrash woeful Southampton”

Yet the manager says 

I am proud of the players” 

And talks about how it was a close game we just didn’t take our chances.

Post match interviews have been the biggest red flag for me, scarily so. It’s shown arrogance not bravery.

Bravery would be playing his style, putting in good performances, conceding goals we can do little about and losing games by small margins due to the oppositions quality. 

Arrogance is playing his style, making mistakes, handing the opponents goals and games, refusing to change the style or the personnel to steady the ship, blaming the issues on the clubs past.

My last complaint is about intensity, the complete lack of it. This should be the absolute minimum of expectations!

I thought when JWP left our intensity might increase and the side ways passing would end however it hasn’t and if anything, JWP has clearly shown that he can play with intensity since he’s left, so the issue is clearly with our group of players and the way they’re being motivated.

I’m not calling for Martins head yet, but I’m watching the angry mob from outside my window considering whether I want to join them.

Leeds is simply a must win

• Like 2