Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

57 minutes ago, Saint_John said:

Same old problems that we saw last season under Selles.

High risk passing out from the back when half the receiving players DON'T WANT the ball.

No movement from the forwards (standing still next to the defenders until the ball comes near them).    

Defenders marking ZONES not the opposition players.

No tracking of runs from the midfield.

IMO Martin will be gone by Xmas if he carries on with Selles system

Troll or complete dick?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

So, notable players not involved today...

Perraud

Larios

Bednarek

Bella-Kotchap

Aribo

S. Armstrong

Sulemana

Edozie

Diallo

Tella

Ballard

Onuachu

Anything to read into any of those omissions or just down to international duty and/or fitness?

We've not seen Larios or Perraud in training, just in the gym.

Until we see who is going out to Turkey, I'd imagine who we left out was more to do with giving some of the U23s a run out.

25 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

I don't think Mara is going to survive this system. I think there's probably a player there if he's running on to through balls or cut backs.

But he doesn't look comfortable with his back to goal and it looks like our build up is going to be so slow this year that he would have to play this way.

Same with A Armstrong, he's no good with his back to goal. Adams is a little more so. 

Very good point about needing a striker that can play with his back to goal - like Che. AA can't do that. Not sure about Mara. He likes to drop deep, so it might work.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

I don't think Mara is going to survive this system. I think there's probably a player there if he's running on to through balls or cut backs.

But he doesn't look comfortable with his back to goal and it looks like our build up is going to be so slow this year that he would have to play this way.

Same with A Armstrong, he's no good with his back to goal. Adams is a little more so. 

Mara is crap!  Get rid 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Ribtickler said:

one friendly doesn’t define a season, it’s like a shag, first one is poor and you improve with time.  

that’s all I will say on the matter 

If “improving” means getting faster, the passage of time has made me world class!

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

I just want clarification on what the benefit of short passing in our own penalty area is.

Well, when we went longer the ball came straight back.

General observations: there was a definite pattern to our play and a fair bit of courage on the ball both in midfield and defence, although the latter may cause me to up my blood pressure tablets later in the season. Stephens and Lyanco look like an accident waiting to happen, although the goals didn't come from their mistakes, and at times they were very cool. Bree looks at a lower level still.  Meghoma I hadn't seen before but was impressed, and Kid AA showed no fear and will be a greater asset than Djenepo given a little more experience. Dibling looks a bit gauche and awkward, but another youngster with growing to do - a touch of the Sam Gallaghers.

Smallbone looks like a bigger asset than Elyounoussi; he actually gets to the ball ahead of opponents and can tackle. It was interesting to see Livramento drift into the middle: quite a number here have thought he might do better further forward.

For a first run out against such quality opposition I was happy enough, a good learning experience. Still no real penetration in the final third and you can see how we'll miss Lavia, but there is a nucleus of a decent side there and two new arrivals this week as well.

• Like 6

It's quite funny how so many of you actually expect us to go and dominate Portuguese champions and consistent champions league participants. 

We played alot youth and fringe players.

I have to say I was impressed early on, there was alot to like.

My biggest concern and I imagine its Russell's too is getting In CBs who are comfortable with the ball at there feet. I'm sure this will be remedied.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, trousers said:

The day I'll get worried is when the Saintsweb intelligentsia stop judging our season prospects after 45 minutes of pre-season...

Just to pick one comment from "Saintsweb intelligentsia" in last season's pre-season friendlies courtesy of S-Clarke: " So, two pre-season games and sadly we still face similar troubles as we did in the real games. To put it bluntly, we lack quality and any sort of top flight ability in the attack." And there's lot of other comments that proved sadly accurate...

Pre-seasons indicate our style of play for the coming season, so I hope we're not going to fanny about passing the ball sideways at the back looking to pull the opponents out of position all season.

4 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Just to pick one comment from "Saintsweb intelligentsia" in last season's pre-season friendlies courtesy of S-Clarke: " So, two pre-season games and sadly we still face similar troubles as we did in the real games. To put it bluntly, we lack quality and any sort of top flight ability in the attack." And there's lot of other comments that proved sadly accurate...

Pre-seasons indicate our style of play for the coming season, so I hope we're not going to fanny about passing the ball sideways at the back looking to pull the opponents out of position all season.

The thing is, last pre-season is massively different to this pre-season. Last time round we had a known manager who had been with us for a few years and who had just overseen a shockingly shit run in to the previous season, 5 points from 12 games. It was obvious there were problems with the coaching team as some had been binned off and Ralph had been forced to hire Selles. And we started playing a completely different formation to Ralph’s 4-2-2-2, we went with 5 at the back and it genuinely looked dreadful. The whole pre-season looked off from the start, it was quite clear early on that we were up against it.

This pre-season sees a new manager who has a massively bloated squad, many of whose will likely leave the club. He’s had two weeks here. And he’s played a bunch of teenagers who have barely seen the first team before today.  I’m only talking for myself, but I’m going to be a bit more patient than I would have been at this stage last season, as it’s not a fair comparison.

• Like 13

Only seen the highlights, but Amo-Ameyaw looked good against very good opposition. The Championship could offer him the chance to be the breakout player from the youth system next season. Certainly doesn't lack confidence, or technical ability.

Saw Caleta-Car finished the match as captain. Didn't expect him to be that high up the hierarchy, instead thought he'd be one of the first out the door this summer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Only seen the highlights, but Amo-Ameyaw looked good against very good opposition. The Championship could offer him the chance to be the breakout player from the youth system next season. Certainly doesn't lack confidence, or technical ability.

Saw Caleta-Car finished the match as captain. Didn't expect him to be that high up the hierarchy, instead thought he'd be one of the first out the door this summer.

Of the defenders, I thought dCC the most competent ball playing defender too. 

It could be his redemption arc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yes and then there's been other pre season games where we have spaffed all over a team and dicked them and you have everyone jizzing themselves (I mean look at the ott reaction to Aribo last year) and then it has no bearing on how we've performed over a season. 

The reality that preseason performance often have very little bearing on how a season goes, what you want to see is signs that the players are learning the system, showing bravery and putting some touches and movement together and I think we got the beginnings of that. Let's not forget that most of these players won't be playing alongside the players they were playing with today so it's less about a team performance at this stage and more about how individuals that we think are going to be here are coping.

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Of the defenders, I thought dCC the most competent ball playing defender too. 

It could be his redemption arc.

He could genuinely be decent this year if he stays alongside a new face. I'd prefer him to Salisu or Bednarek (and I assume ABK is off.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes and then there's been other pre season games where we have spaffed all over a team and dicked them and you have everyone jizzing themselves (I mean look at the ott reaction to Aribo last year) and then it has no bearing on how we've performed over a season. 

Stripes John GIF - Stripes John Candy - Discover & Share GIFs

I didn't see the game, so if  what i read here is representative I am concerned. Because CB who had a hard time getting passes to connect with their targets when not under pressure in a walking pace friendly, in a system that demands it are really going to be in trouble when someone actually wants the ball off you.

• Sad 1

A tad annoyed about the game being moved at such short notice to a third division sides ground that resembles an athletics stadium!

Still looking forward to going over, 5 star all inclusive hotel for 3 nights isn't too shabby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystic Force said:

I didn't see the game, so if  what i read here is representative I am concerned. Because CB who had a hard time getting passes to connect with their targets when not under pressure in a walking pace friendly, in a system that demands it are really going to be in trouble when someone actually wants the ball off you.

The new venue looks alright to be fair, we’ll play at much worse in the cup over here.

Might pop over and get my hair done whilst I’m there 😂

1 hour ago, Sfcphilc said:

A tad annoyed about the game being moved at such short notice to a third division sides ground that resembles an athletics stadium!

Still looking forward to going over, 5 star all inclusive hotel for 3 nights isn't too shabby.

Fairplay, only been to Istanbul a few times and like Greece turkey is pretty cheap so good to see you flash packing.

25 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Strange that Che has been in most pre season photos and game but no sign of Stu Armstrong.

As they both played for the same international side it can’t be that.

I seem to remember that Adam’s was injured and didn’t play but Stu did.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, M271 said:

I seem to remember that Adam’s was injured and didn’t play but Stu did.

I think its probably time for Stu to move on. Has been decent value but hasn't been at his top level for near on 2 years now and is probably the least suited to Sat/Tues/Sat of anyone in our squad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The Eagle eyed amongst you will notice that this pic is back to front. Wonder if the AI image software was programmed incorrectly?

You need to check out how selfies work when you turn camera around - you'll spot some curly hair next to him  which is my son's so I edited it as I didnt want you  letching after him - check out the image on the other thread with JWP and Tella in the queue - same tshirt with his jumper off

Edited by richardc
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Ballard injured apparently. Tall Paul not travelled so could be nearing move away. Doesn't seem like Edozie is there either. 

Strange order to list them . If that's our starting line up in formation then RM is really shaking things up