Joe Ferrelly signs

Master Bates

19 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Joe Ferrelly joins from Everton as Head of Data and Research for Saints and Goztepe

that's good, I really liked his and his brothers movies, Something About Mary, Me Myself Irene and many others. Hard to see what that brings to Saints other than some much needed laughter?

• Haha 7

33 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Head of Data and Research? So a right nerd, sat in front of his laptop, producing meaningless statistics.

Right up Rasmus' street. I had hoped the Echo interview indicated we were moving away from that approach.

We're not moving away from that approach, it's what SR are about and this will underpin everything they do at all their clubs.

The trick is getting the balance right. There's no problem with a focus on data, but you cannot take your eye off of the real thing (which we did last year).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

that's good, I really liked his and his brothers movies, Something About Mary, Me Myself Irene and many others. Hard to see what that brings to Saints other than some much needed laughter?

Such a letdown, typical Saints - I was hoping we would go for one of the brothers who did Fargo, Lebowski, etc - now that would be a statement of intent! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Head of Research? Does he know we didn’t invent dugouts, second tiers and floodlights? His career is going in reverse! 

Didn’t we lose a research bloke to Everton earlier in the year ? Dan Rice. 

If so, perhaps the exchange was conducted like a cliche from a Cold War espionage film. Saints and Everton officials meet at a service station near Birmingham where Farrelly and Rice walk slowly towards their new club, not exchanging a glance as they pass. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Get in!!! Fucking epic appointment.

Haven’t been this excited since the announcement of Charlie Boss as Commercial Director in January.

InRasmuswetrust#  nerd- army … 

Da Boss, certainly bossed it between January and May, all graphics south! 

Find some ex pros that only need to watch a player and decide if he's worth watching again. All the data in the world won't cut it. We appointed a data man as manager he won two matches. A data man oversaw the transfer window, spent £60m and brought in one player we could use and one who could be of use if played correctly. Just another case of educated bullshit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Head of Data and Research? So a right nerd, sat in front of his laptop, producing meaningless statistics.

Right up Rasmus' street. I had hoped the Echo interview indicated we were moving away from that approach.

Onuachu came back as #1 in height but we don't play for crosses.

You do surely realise that every club has people in this type of role?

Even lower league teams have them. It's not the role that's the problem it's when you have the wrong people in them or a poor structure around it.

You know when we were good under Koeman and Pochettino? We had data scientists then. I take it you've noticed Brighton's success? They have a load of people working in that area. But obviously they are wrong to have nerds in front of computers. Should get rid of them and just tell players to run a bit more and have a shot sometimes.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

My real contention is that there are footballers who you can see are not very good and the data doesn't seem to indicate the data presented by Mark 1 eyeballs.

It reminds me of when KPI’s were all the rage in assessing work performance, some utterly useless people could score very well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystic Force said:

My real contention is that there are footballers who you can see are not very good and the data doesn't seem to indicate the data presented by Mark 1 eyeballs.

There is good data and bad data, and people who are good at interpreting data and people who are bad at interpreting data.

If you use good data and have people who are good at interpreting that data then you can get the people who have good eyeballs to look at the range of players that the good data has suggested are worth looking at and have a better chance of spotting the ones that might be good signings quicker.

These are quotes from Paul Barber, Brighton CEO from The Athletic today...

Chief executive Paul Barber says: “What we don’t do, in the way that other clubs do, is charge around the world, constantly watching matches looking at players, which is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. What we try and do is focus on the areas for improvement, focus on the players that we feel can fill that gap and then send our eyes, our scouts, to look specifically at those players.

“We don’t tend to do what some scouts do around the world, which is constantly circle the world looking.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

There is good data and bad data, and people who are good at interpreting data and people who are bad at interpreting data.

If you use good data and have people who are good at interpreting that data then you can get the people who have good eyeballs to look at the range of players that the good data has suggested are worth looking at and have a better chance of spotting the ones that might be good signings quicker.

Chief executive Paul Barber says: “What we don’t do, in the way that other clubs do, is charge around the world, constantly watching matches looking at players, which is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. What we try and do is focus on the areas for improvement, focus on the players that we feel can fill that gap and then send our eyes, our scouts, to look specifically at those players.

“We don’t tend to do what some scouts do around the world, which is constantly circle the world looking.”

They are 1 transfer window away from a type of claim like..... "we dont buy success, we breed it" 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Onuachu came back as #1 in height but we don't play for crosses.

Please for the love of god tell me this is sarcasm

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don't think it will be too long before they fall away. 

They very well might because almost everything is stacked against them but no doubt that their data lead scouting approach has been very successful.

Like with anything a strategy can be good or bad but it can also be implemented well or poorly.

For people to just reduce it to data = bad is a bit ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

They very well might because almost everything is stacked against them but no doubt that their data lead scouting approach has been very successful.

Like with anything a strategy can be good or bad but it can also be implemented well or poorly.

For people to just reduce it to data = bad is a bit ridiculous.

Frankly for anybody to say data = bad shows they have absolutely no idea how modern football is conducted at the higher ends of the sport

Whether we have been particularly good at understanding and applying the data led approach is the real conversation here

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with data and statistics - it’s how it’s interpreted and used and by who…that’s the issue. It’s no good giving stress analysis data for a bridge construction project to a baker…you’ll end up with a fucked up bridge. Same with football…give a bunch of data to a non-football man like Rasmus and he’ll end up relegating the club. What I’m saying is, perhaps this is a smarter move than it initially looks…get a football stats man in to analyse the data and make decent INFORMED decisions.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2023 at 21:13, Dusic said:

These are the kind of quotes that eventually come back and bite you. Just a total straw man that all the other clubs don't know what they're doing but we do.

You can go back ten years and clubs were talking about using data to fill specific gaps/needs. 

Leicester and us (and others) thought they had the magic formula as well. Let's give it another two or three seasons and we will see if Brighton carry on their magic touch in the transfer market.

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

These are the kind of quotes that eventually come back and bite you. Just a total straw man that all the other clubs don't know what they're doing but we do.

You can go back ten years and clubs were talking about using data to fill specific gaps/needs. 

Leicester and us (and others) thought they had the magic formula as well. Let's give it another two or three seasons and we will see if Brighton carry on their magic touch in the transfer market.

There is no magic formula as there is always risk involved in any deal as football players are people not machines so sometimes it doesn’t work out.  The whole point in data is to use it as part of the decision making process at the end of the process will always be a compromise as you can’t always get the players you want at the price you can afford.  Using data well is an essential part of football but it won’t stop the club buying bad player or appointing the wrong managers the human element is always there to mess things up!

• Like 1