Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

Well Done Sport Republic. Another fantastic decision made by the imbeciles who own the club.

Honestly, in what world would anyone sign off 10m on a striker whose just coming back from a serious injury? Particularly when said striker couldve been available cheaper in 6 months time (January) due to his contract running down. 

Slow clap to SR.

Ps. This is nothing against Ross. Gutted for him.

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SaintNewForest said:

Well Done Sport Republic. Another fantastic decision made by the imbeciles who own the club.

Honestly, in what world would anyone sign off 10m on a striker whose just coming back from a serious injury? Particularly when said striker couldve been available cheaper in 6 months time (January) due to his contract running down. 

Slow clap to SR.

Ps. This is nothing against Ross. Gutted for him.

And particularly when the injury he has is notoriously difficult to recover from and often results in reoccurance. Five minutes on Google showed that when he signed. 

• Like 2

Disappointing, but not sure it would have made any difference to us this season tbf. We have the second top scorer in the division, and we tend to play with 1 striker, so not really sure he'd have come in anyway without upsetting the balance. Waste of money, yes, but not convinced this decision has cost us promotion. 

Stewart has a hamstring injury, I’ve never heard of a player being out for six months with a hamstring injury, 3 months yes, that’s the max though. He apparently did it after coming on against Huddersfield where he played 10 minutes didn’t look inured and barely touched the ball. Something ain’t right here. It doesn’t add up

• Like 8

On 30/10/2023 at 14:31, Badger said:

The pessimism of following Saints for 50plus years: 

Have a fear he’ll be eased back in mid-Nov onwards, start playing regularly then has a reoccurring injury late January with little or no time to bring anyone else in. 

Credit where it’s due, his injury is ahead of schedule.

On 01/12/2023 at 13:48, Badger said:

just hope the “mid- January” doesn’t cloud our judgement in looking to bring a new striker in (preferably 1st January) 

No excuses now.

On 01/12/2023 at 13:54, Badger said:

2022- let’s not sign a striker 

2023 - let’s sign one who isn’t fit and hasn’t played for about nine months 

Looks like Les, Wilson ( can’t remember his name- Jimmy Krankie bloke ) , and Semmens have passed the muppet baton in the recruitment dept on … 

Think those responsible for this one haven’t so much taken on the the muppet baton but eaten the thing. 

(Many a true word said in jest, but unbelievable gamble and bit of business). 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Stewart has a hamstring injury, I’ve never heard of a player being out for six months with a hamstring injury, 3 months yes, that’s the max though. He apparently did it after coming on against Huddersfield where he played 10 minutes didn’t look inured and barely touched the ball. Something ain’t right here. It doesn’t add up

What are you suggesting? That it's something to do with the original injury? 

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So by the time he plays again it’ll be 18 months fucking hell 🤣🤣

I have wondered if we’ll see him play for us for any run in the team. IF we were to get promoted will the club think him up to Prem standard, or will we see him loaned to say Coventry at vastly subsidised wages ? 

He’s living up to my fear  of being the Loch Ness Delgado at least. 

never heard of anyone being out for five/six months with a hamstring injury 

to be fair you don’t miss what you never had but the lack of a real focal point up front could cost us 

seemed a real gamble at the time and it hasn’t paid off. see what we do in January but if we don’t properly address it then that will be two years without a decent number 9.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is this informed from the Surgeon of Trust ? 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What are you suggesting? That it's something to do with the original injury? 

Six months out with a hamstring injury, have you ever heard that before? It’s 6-12 weeks absolute max. He wasn’t limping off at Huddersfield and hasn’t featured since. Join the dots

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Is this informed from the Surgeon of Trust ? 

The CoT will provide facts as and when they become available. 6 months out with a hamstring injury picked up in training though unless you’re fucking thick it doensr ring true. 

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The CoT will provide facts as and when they become available. 6 months out with a hamstring injury picked up in training though unless you’re fucking thick it doensr ring true. 

Not doubting that. Just staggering that anyone would take this risk in the first place. 

Await the CoT update as and when available. 

Unfortunately it’s very common after a nasty injury to get injured again but in a different place. Essentially, when injured a person naturally compensates for the injury, by putting pressure on other parts of their leg. Even when injury is healed, the psychological effects remain and the person can continue to ‘compensate’. My guess is the club want to build up the whole leg fully and ensure he’s not compensating at all before he returns again.

Edited by Dangerspoon
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

6 months is mental. Agree something doesn’t seem right..

2 minutes ago, Dangerspoon said:

Unfortunately it’s very common after a nasty injury to get injured again but in a different place. Essentially, a person naturally compensates for an injury, putting pressure on other parts of their leg. Even when injury is healed, the psychological effects remain and the person can continue to ‘compensate’.

still seems a very long time for a hamstring injury but i can’t see what they gain by lying about it 

10 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Could anyone decipher what Martin just said😂

Could I understand it?Not really. Am I concerned about this?Who knows.Ask me in February.Do I know how to add spaces when answering a question I asked myself?         

Perhaps.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Six months out with a hamstring injury, have you ever heard that before? It’s 6-12 weeks absolute max. He wasn’t limping off at Huddersfield and hasn’t featured since. Join the dots

Seems particularly odd that Martin is  bemoaning the fact he didn't get a full preseason and suggesting he may need to have one before playing again when he knew the situation when we signed him. Fair enough if we'd  bought him in as a gamble to be in the squad but a striker was probably our key signing for the summer. We are incredibly fortunate that Armstrong has proven he can still perform in this league because if he hadn't then we would be utterly screwed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Adam has corrected his original post, now saying the same as the Echo, i.e. it's a new injury, not a recurrence of the previous one...

Screenshot_20231222-225643.png

Needs to be two strikers, at least one of frontline starting calibre eg Piroe standard in January now. No excuses SR, sort yourselves out. This is worse than Carrillo and Tall Paul, they were unsuited to a change of manager but on paper were at least fit to play. Adams is off, so this is going hit Dragan in the wallet. He needs to get a grip of the some of the buffoons he’s employing.

I can’t think of another high profile business that’s pissed £50m up the wall in that manner on three high profile misconduct-level debacles. Some of the SFC actors in this might be having Outlook invites from SFC HR in their inbox shortly to get to the bottom of what actually went on. There should be an investigation as if hundreds of us as fans on here could see it looked absurdly risky with seemingly most of the money up front, then so-called football professionals should have known better. If it was £250k up front as a punt that Stewart might play again, that’s different. Sounds like he’s basically finished as a player at anything above the lower leagues/SPL strugglers so no use to SFC and wasn’t any use to Sunderland. Who sold a player who had the equivalent of a car with an overdue timing belt about to snap, an automatic gearbox having missed its fluid change and some idiot mug punter without any clue paid miles over the windscreen price without checking the logbook. The expensive vehicle breaks down before the buyer even got it on the drive.

Just sack off the recruitment department, do what Wolves did and basically team up with a high profile agent and if the signings work out and they get sold on as the club loves to do, they get a healthy cut. Recruitment department is untenable now, give them their notice, work with an agent in January and review in the summer. Wilcox and the CEO can sign transfers off.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Needs to be two strikers, at least one of frontline starting calibre eg ….  
Recruitment department is untenable now, give them their notice, work with an agent in January and review in the summer. Wilcox and the CEO can sign transfers off.

Agree about two strikers, but can’t see it happening.

Isn’t it just a bit worrying that this fiasco might be one the Wilcox already  ‘signed off’ this summer ? 

• Like 1

I have to say that as ridiculous as this situation is, and it really really is, anyone expecting us to go out and spend £20million in January on a goalscorer, or thinking we might sign two strikers, is deluded. We'll sign one striker in the £10-15million bracket most likely. I'd look at Plymouth personally, club who may look to sell a little cheaper and they have Ryan Hardie (cheaper option) and Morgan Whittaker who I think either of could do a job up front for us. 

Whittaker in particular I think has the potential to do a job in the Prem. Hardie is more of a short term solution similar to Billy Sharp (not as prolific though).

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I have to say that as ridiculous as this situation is, and it really really is, anyone expecting us to go out and spend £20million in January on a goalscorer, or thinking we might sign two strikers, is deluded. We'll sign one striker in the £10-15million bracket most likely. I'd look at Plymouth personally, club who may look to sell a little cheaper and they have Ryan Hardie (cheaper option) and Morgan Whittaker who I think either of could do a job up front for us. 

Whittaker in particular I think has the potential to do a job in the Prem. Hardie is more of a short term solution similar to Billy Sharp (not as prolific though).

£15m is the record signing at this level I think? So that should get a very good player. £10m is a lot too, which is why this would be a £50m fuck up in the current PL. If Adams goes, he’ll need to be replaced as well but would expect that to be a loan signing (not Ings level, but someone too experienced for u23 stuff at the top 10 level in the PL who needs a chance to play senior football). 

The two lads at Aberdeen could be an option, although they’ve not shot the lights out in a poor league this year unlike last season. Hardie would be good but he’s a bit like AA, we need someone who can hold it up at times as well. I doubt if their new manager tbc will want to sell him. Whittaker would be better I agree. Needs swift action though and the club might have to pay a bit over to get them quickly.

It certainly possible to be out with a hamstring injury for 5 months. If the hamstring is torn, and this isn’t the first hamstring injury for Stewart, you are talking 8-12 weeks recovery. Then it’s another 4 to 6 weeks to get up to speed and see how the hamstring feels. 

The club likely have decided that Stewart shouldn’t be rushed so he doesn’t have a setback in this injury. 

(Source regarding hamstring recovery, my partner who has been a physiotherapist for 17 years and specializes in knee and hip injuries)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Disappointing, but not sure it would have made any difference to us this season tbf. We have the second top scorer in the division, and we tend to play with 1 striker, so not really sure he'd have come in anyway without upsetting the balance. Waste of money, yes, but not convinced this decision has cost us promotion. 

Strange post. A fit and firing Martin would have made a huge difference. Relying on Armstrong is ridiculous as he is inconsistent. Ok one minute and crap the next. 
Looks like we may have to recall the Turkish goal machine. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I can see us trying to get a decent striker out of favour in the Prem for a chunky loan fee 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

The only thing I can think of is a torn hamstring, that's sometimes 4 or 5 months out but yes I agree, it's more likely that there's something more to this.

Lots of ignorance and assumptions going on in this thread. Nobody is saying he will be out for 6 months.

This injury occurred at the very end of November and the season ends on the first weekend of May, so if he is out for the rest of it then that's 5 months, not 6. 

Furthermore, all we've got at the moment is a vague statement from Martin (who isn't exactly well known for being succinct and objective in press conferences) saying it will be a bonus if we see him play before the end of the season. That's not the same as ruling him out completely.

So no, there doesn't have to be anything suspicious about this at all. It's entirely possible, and likely, that it is a torn hamstring and not a recurrence of his prior injury that the club are trying to keep hush hush. It's just that, given his lack of game time this year, it will probably take him a bit longer to return to full match fitness than someone at peak fitness who has been playing regularly all season.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Lots of ignorance and assumptions going on in this thread. Nobody is saying he will be out for 6 months.

This injury occurred at the very end of November and the season ends on the first weekend of May, so if he is out for the rest of it then that's 5 months, not 6. 

That's us told.

Well done the club on a fantastic signing and £8m very spent and thanks to Ross for everything you have done for us this season in our push for promotion 👏👏👏

Five months is NOT and NEVER WILL BE six months. FFS some people 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Strange post. A fit and firing Martin would have made a huge difference. Relying on Armstrong is ridiculous as he is inconsistent. Ok one minute and crap the next. 
Looks like we may have to recall the Turkish goal machine. 

Strange post - what does a fit and firing Martin have to do with it?

The choice wasn't between having a fit and firing Stewart and a not fit and firing Stewart, it was between Stewart and someone else (not Piroe though, as said by Martin prior to him going to Leeds he was too similar to AA - and shitter by the looks of the things this season). 

If we'd have sold Adams in the Summer as well, like I said we should have, we'd have picked up an additional striker so that wouldn't be the situation.

• Like 1

What a horrific signing. More so for a club that raked in record receipts for player sales at this level.
We literally had the pick of almost every striker available to a team outside of the Premier League.

LOL

Edit - I remember the days when we had a complete blind spot for CBs, now it appears the glitch in the black box has shifted to CF. Absolutely insane, and will play a big factor in us remaining in the Championship.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

That's us told.

Well done the club on a fantastic signing and £8m very spent and thanks to Ross for everything you have done for us this season in our push for promotion 👏👏👏

Five months is NOT and NEVER WILL BE six months. FFS some people 

Scoff all you want, but there is more than one person on this thread channelling their inner MLT and saying a hamstring injury won't sideline a player for 6 months so there must be more to it. Whereas in actual fact that's not even what's been reported. It's just a knee jerk reaction based on zero evidence.

A particularly bad one could quite easily take up to 3-4 months for full recovery if it needs surgery, and then given his low starting point with match fitness, would take him at least another month to get to a point where he might be able to play more than half a game. Like Russ alluded to, there's really no point rushing him back this season given all of the above.

So yeah, we can berate the club all we like for making such a poor signing (honestly, some of the comments on here - fuck me!) But the truth is we could not possibly have predicted that this injury was going to happen.

• Like 3