Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

image.thumb.png.b6042acfb4de112637f7246240cc6244.png

Hopefully that means Charles and Downes starting central midfield with Holgate right back, KWP left. Looks more solid through the spine which is needed. Would prefer Alcarez over Smallbone 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

We'll probably be proven wrong with the performance, but that looks a much better team and a much better potential shape.

Smallbone more advanced, with two deeper CM's behind him. THB and Bednarek in CB.

Harsh on Edozie, but defensively in the last few games, right at the start of the games, he has been inept. He's a threat in an attacking sense, but if he keeps switching off covering then it's all a bit pointless.

• Like 2

Just now, Jack said:

How are Smallbone and Fraser getting the nod after Tuesday? Edozie is being hard done by there and looked like one of our best options. 

Experimental at the back too, he better hope it works 

very true, but 'things' had to change. Manning has been poor in general. Adam Armstrong is much better defensively than Edozie (who is very unlucky to be dropped)

But shit had to change

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

How are Smallbone and Fraser getting the nod after Tuesday? Edozie is being hard done by there and looked like one of our best options. 

The only thing I can think of is we are trying to pace Edozie through the season? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Holgate can't be as bad as his debut showed. 

I hope I’m wrong but I had hoped to never seeing Holgate in a Saints shirt again. Let’s see at 5pm.

As for Manning, pleased he isn’t starting, he has been very poor.

I hope this signals a more solid defence oriented team. Until we become hard to beat we can't expect to move up the table. I'm not sure about KWP at left back however I think the back four looks more solid especially if Charles slots in as the holding midfielder with Smallbone and Downes feeding the forwards and supporting. Manning has been a negative for me due to his continuous turning back and lack of defensive solidity.  We'll shortly find out.

Edited by derry
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That is a much better line up. Just depends if he intends on a 433 an no inverted fullbacks

Defenders in defence and midfielders in midfield, not sure what's going on with the full backs, Holgate gets to redeem himself , I reckon we'll do a bit better today, 1-1 draw 

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hopefully that means Charles and Downes starting central midfield with Holgate right back, KWP left. Looks more solid through the spine which is needed. Would prefer Alcarez over Smallbone 

Agree 100%.

Edozie deserves to start over Fraser too, the lad is one of our better players and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Don't get me started about Adams and Armstrong! How they get into the team is beyond me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I would of put carlos in ahead of smallbone for sure.

In fairness Alcaraz hasn't looked up to it since RM has come in. I don't think he fits the system. A great shame as he could be brilliant in this league, but as we've seen this manager plays to his system and not to the strength of the players he has available.

• Like 2

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Agree 100%.

Edozie deserves to start over Fraser too, the lad is one of our better players and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Don't get me started about Adams and Armstrong! How they get into the team is beyond me.

Pray tell - who plays up top if Che isn't in the side as you want?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jack said:

I think more defensive players, I don't recall Edozie ever making a tackle or winning a 50/50 , needs to work on that side of his game 

• Like 2

If playing an attacking line up means we keep getting stuffed you can understand why RM has picked “ conservative” players even if the formation. remains same ( unless it’s a shock 3CB’s approach ! ) 

Did not expect both Edozie and Manning to get dropped but if E is not scoring and M not defending well enough then it’s logical.  Che needs to have his scoring boots on today. Fingers crossed COYS. 

I’ve never felt more excited to see three yard passes between our goalkeeper, defenders and midfielders (given they’re DM’s by nature).

So hyped that we could beat that 1000 passes per match record. Way more important than three points.

Slow paced and boring and it’s finest. Super tactics.

Leave all the excitement on the bench for when Boro go 1-0 up.

Last time Middlesbrough beat us was in 2012 apparently and they’re bottom.  We all know where this one’s headed then.

RM once again can’t resist being all fucking hipster by playing someone out of their natural position and so expecting Holgate to screw up enough to gift a goal. Hope they’re all feeling brave because I suspect Boro players will be kicking ‘em all around the pitch without any protection from the Ref.

COYS!

I think there is a lot of sense in that line up. (not the one I would have picked though). 

No idea what Holgate is like at RB but likely to be more solid and adds height. 

I like KWP at LB, some of his best performances for us. 

Charles at DM - all agree. 

Smallbone and Downes both decent with DM behind them. I would have liked to see Alcarez but these are probably safer and have more experience. 

Front three

Che - no other option

Fraser / Armstrong both quick direct. More experienced than Edozie and Sulemana. Probably bigger characters to deal with pressure. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic