Are the fans to Blame? (Split)

Bad Wolf

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Where does this rubbish come from?

Go and look at the thread in the lead up to when he was being appointed. "Another nobody" etc. No doubt he'll soon be asked to "do the right thing and resign" - That bit is always my favourite.

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Go and look at the thread in the lead up to when he was being appointed. "Another nobody" etc. No doubt he'll soon be asked to "do the right thing and resign" - That bit is always my favourite.

I've looked at the thread. It's a mixture but not anything like you imply. There is plenty of support and positivity about Martin. Also, many of those expressing doubts outline what they think will go wrong and a lot of it is pretty well spot on 🙂

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The crowd turned on the manager before he was even appointed.

Don't be a knobhead, he got a warm reception pre season, fans turned out in massive numbers and were supportive, 3100 at Sheffield Wednesday on a Friday night singing his name, sell outs against Norwich and QPR, he's lost the fans with his nonsense. 

• Like 34

54 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Utter rubbish. We've turned because we've lost 4 in a row and not played well in any of those games.

He got a warm round of applause before the game yesterday when he came over to the fans.

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

You can’t turn on a manager if you never wanted him in the first place, those fans are just so far being proven correct. Those that we’re happy about his appointment but would like to see him replaced have done so as a reaction to his poor tactics and results since coming in.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

You can’t turn on a manager if you never wanted him in the first place, those fans are just so far being proven correct. Those that we’re happy about his appointment but would like to see him replaced have done so as a reaction to his poor tactics and results since coming in.

I'd actually say fans backed him and got onboard with it all despite having reservations. Alarm bells were ringing for me when Swansea fans didn't seem at all bothered at the prospect of him leaving. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I've looked at the thread. It's a mixture but not anything like you imply. There is plenty of support and positivity about Martin. Also, many of those expressing doubts outline what they think will go wrong and a lot of it is pretty well spot on 🙂

What he means is that he wouldn’t have been most peoples first choice, which is accurate, in fact he wasn’t even the clubs first choice. That’s quite different to “turning on the manager” though 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JRM said:

I'd actually say fans backed him and got onboard with it all despite having reservations. Alarm bells were ringing for me when Swansea fans didn't seem at all bothered at the prospect of him leaving. 

Absolutely, after a few weeks he’s won quite a few people over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Explain how the 'crowd, can turn on a manager before he's appointed. A 'crowd' is usually used to describe people in the ground so your flawed theory is impossible.

Didn't you get your ticket to the Saints Fans Prememptive Strike match? No teams playing, but a wonderful 90mins (plus stoppage time for us to moan at the length of) of "you don't know what you're doing" "sacked in the morning" and various bits of targeted swearing at specific players, some of whom hadn't even signed.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Not so.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Just absurd & weird comments. Fan base was fully behind him and buzzing for a fresh start. St Mary’s and all the away games have been sell outs. 

It’s not the fans fault we are playing suicidal football and he’s coached us to be more open than Katie Price’s knickers. 

He isn’t playing to the team’s strengths at all; just blindly asking them to pass it backwards and sideways waiting for a team to counter. 

Sad to say but Leeds are going to absolutely batter us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I think a lot of people were (quite rightly) a bit underwhelmed with the appointment but most backed him until his tactics unravelled. 

I can sympathise a bit with him having a philosophy, thinking he had the players to pull it off and then watching those players disappear 1 by 1 and not be adequately replaced. 

However at some point you need to see you don’t have the players for it, swallow your pride and change things up. If he can’t do that then he needs to fuck off sharpish. 

• Like 9

The throwing of blame at the fans is lazy, and usually done by supporters who think they are much better than anyone else.

We have been utterly shit for many years, especially at home - we've got relegated, and rather than walk away, we've come up with the money and sold a really high number of season tickets - sell outs in our home games so far. We are here and we are desperate for a team we can get behind, we are trying all we can do from our position, but it never seems to change.

We have been tortured for what feels like too long now, so having no patience isn't something you can really label at us - we've stuck with this for years now and I know I for one am totally at a loss with it all now. I have no idea where this club goes now, but as fans we'll go wherever it goes and it won't be our fault it's there.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

I think a lot of people were (quite rightly) a bit underwhelmed with the appointment but most backed him until his tactics unravelled. 

I can sympathise a bit with him having a philosophy, thinking he had the players to pull it off and then watching those players disappear 1 by 1 and not be adequately replaced. 

However at some point you need to see you don’t have the players for it, swallow your pride and change things up. If he can’t do that then he needs to fuck off sharpish. 

Yeah completely agree, we're watching our season disappear down the toilet after only a few games, he made sure we got dumped out of the cup with an horrific performance v league 2 Gillingham that was just as bad as the Grimsby episode, our league form is clearly not going to improve enough, all enthusiasm has been extinguished in the fan base , sad times. 

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Absolutely, most football fans are thick and stupid, and their opinions are even more stupid.  Everyone except us though!  Where we see a football visionary, a philosophy and an identity, they just see petty results.  We're building something more than results here but can they see it?  Can they fuck.  I'd give him a decade if it was up to me cos this is going to take time and faith.  It's not easy building something like this (if it was everyone would be doing it!) and people need to understand that there's much more than "results".

Tell you what, if this all goes wrong (how could it?) then it's those stupid fans.  It's all on them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

No of course not. Win games and the fans get behind you. But if you aren't winning games, you need something else to cling onto. A track of record of success will help that. If you are losing matches and have no notable record, then of course you are going to be given less time. When we go cute with our appointments, we go wrong. When we bring in the obvious candidates, then things more often go better. Managers like Koeman, Ralph, Pardew, Adkins all had very strong pedigree and guess what, they were all bloody good. Nothing to do with the fans.

If you check our appointment record since league 1, I reckon we've seen the worrying signs or positive signs pretty quickly.

Pardew- looked good was good

Adkins- looked good and was fantastic

Poch - looked worrying and was good (which shows how fans can get behind you quickly if you deliver results and performances)

Koeman- looked good and was good

Puel- looked okay and was okay (still contested I know so I've gone down the middle)

Pellegrino-looked a disaster and was a disaster

Hughs- looked shit and was shit. Swansea imploding contributed more to us staying up

Ralph- looked good and was good

Jones- jesus christ. Looked shit and was shit

Selles- Shit all round

Martin- looked underwhelming.

I guess some would argue that the ones that have had fans support straight away have been most successful. But I more feel that the fans can smell a dud fast. I would just prefer the club stopped trying to unearth some magic unknown manager. If you wanna unearth young footballers and sell them for profit, then don't get too cute with the manager. They need a manager with a good track record to look up to.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

The throwing of blame at the fans is lazy, and usually done by supporters who think they are much better than anyone else.

We have been utterly shit for many years, especially at home - we've got relegated, and rather than walk away, we've come up with the money and sold a really high number of season tickets - sell outs in our home games so far. We are here and we are desperate for a team we can get behind, we are trying all we can do from our position, but it never seems to change.

We have been tortured for what feels like too long now, so having no patience isn't something you can really label at us - we've stuck with this for years now and I know I for one am totally at a loss with it all now. I have no idea where this club goes now, but as fans we'll go wherever it goes and it won't be our fault it's there.

Can you think of another team that has a worse home record than us over the last 5 years? I think you’d struggle to find one in Europe that has been worse at home 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Can you think of another team that has a worse home record than us over the last 5 years? I think you’d struggle to find one in Europe that has been worse at home 

I'm not sure about home record, most likely we do, but your post prompted me to look at form over the last 20 games.

We have the 6th worst form. In EUROPE (top 5 leagues). That's madness.  And without that little 4 game spell at the start of the season we're top for worst form. Madness I tells ya.

Forest Green Rovers Forest Green
England Fourth Tier 1 3 16 9:39 -30 6
Ternana Calcio Ternana
Italy Second Tier 2 5 13 16:32 -16 11
US Fiorenzuola 1922 Fiorenzuola
Italy Third Tier 2 6 12 12:31 -19 12
ESTAC Troyes Troyes
France Second Tier 1 9 10 21:36 -15 12
UC AlbinoLeffe UC AlbinoLeffe
Italy Third Tier 3 3 14 22:36 -14 12
Southampton FC Southampton
England Second Tier 3 4 13 28:51 -23 13
UC Sampdoria Sampdoria
Italy Second Tier 2 7 11 19:41 -22 13
Spezia Calcio Spezia Calcio
Italy Second Tier 2 7 11 16:33 -17 13
AC Ajaccio AC Ajaccio
France Second Tier 3 5 12 9:38 -29 14
FC Empoli FC Empoli
Italy First Tier 4 3 13 15:33 -18 15
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

None of that is "turning on him". I said way back on page 4 or so of the  thread that I thought he'd be crap, and that his track record suggested that he couldn't set a team up to defend, and that we'd play a dull brand of possession football. That was me expressing what was, frankly, bloody obvious, but it wasn't me "turning on him". I'm disappointed that I was right. 

• Like 6

A man walks into his local pub, been drinking there for years spending a fortune but the place has recently been taken over.

He orders his usual pint but when it arrives its a flat,short measure,comes in a dirty glass and the price has gone up.

Not happy but he drinks it anyway because it's always been his local .

Following week and he again gets served slops but doesn't want to make a fuss.

Week after week,month after month,year after year this continues until he's had enough and tells the landlord he's not coming again next week.

That's a shame says the landlord, I was planning to lay on a brass band and a lightshow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I thought he was a ridiculous appointment initially but was happy to get behind him. As has been stated, over 3k went to Sheffield on a Friday night, home games sold out, lots of enthusiasm. As a fan base, we are absolutely crying out for some positivity. 

It's not our fault he's turned out to be another massive loser. 

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm not sure about home record, most likely we do, but your post prompted me to look at form over the last 20 games.

We have the 6th worst form. In EUROPE (top 5 leagues). That's madness.  And without that little 4 game spell at the start of the season we're top for worst form. Madness I tells ya.

Ternana Calcio Ternana
ESTAC Troyes Troyes
UC Sampdoria Sampdoria
AC Ajaccio AC Ajaccio
FC Empoli FC Empoli

I knew SR would take us back into European contention! Go Martin! 🙂

41 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I turned against Russell Martin when he was at Milton Keynes Dons after we’d finished 15th in the Premier League, just in case. 

Forward thinking fans for a forward thinking club. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

None of that is "turning on him". I said way back on page 4 or so of the  thread that I thought he'd be crap, and that his track record suggested that he couldn't set a team up to defend, and that we'd play a dull brand of possession football. That was me expressing what was, frankly, bloody obvious, but it wasn't me "turning on him". I'm disappointed that I was right. 

Begs the question why those clever clever people like Ankersen and JW got this appointment so wrong. Somehow they've managed to miss some pretty damning evidence and some glaring clues that clearly pointed to the fact that RM would be a disaster. You'd think Ankersen having screwed up by appointing Jones would be a huge wake-up call and lessons would be learned. But no, after a brief spell of Selles, here we are again. The sheer incompetence is quite staggering.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Ternana Calcio Ternana
ESTAC Troyes Troyes
UC Sampdoria Sampdoria
AC Ajaccio AC Ajaccio
FC Empoli FC Empoli

In the last 12 months we’ve had more managers than home wins 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

21 minutes ago, saintant said:

Begs the question why those clever clever people like Ankersen and JW got this appointment so wrong. Somehow they've managed to miss some pretty damning evidence and some glaring clues that clearly pointed to the fact that RM would be a disaster. You'd think Ankersen having screwed up by appointing Jones would be a huge wake-up call and lessons would be learned. But no, after a brief spell of Selles, here we are again. The sheer incompetence is quite staggering.

The issue has been for many years that there has only been one ‘football person’ which was Les Reed, Crocker and now Wilcox. Plus Semmens and Ankerson are classic examples of people appearing knowledgeable and working to a philosophy but not backing it up. That’s OK when you have an alpha manager like Ronald, Poch, or strong-minded (Nigel, Pards) to an extent earlier RH that’s ok.

But when you’re appointing risky candidates - Martin, Jones, Pellegrino, Selles, all worse than Branfoot (and I was around then too) - it leaves them very isolated and the Saints come with a lot of scrutiny and an ownership group with no depth of industry experience really to fall back on, which is why the fans have heard a lot of management speak and theories.

What the club needs to fill the void is a football governance board with former managers and players who the manager and club can draw upon until SR learns the industry. They won’t do it as they genuinely think they’re unique and they’ve cracked it. Reality is they’re deluded. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

The issue has been for many years that there has only been one ‘football person’ which was Les Reed, Crocker and now Wilcox. Plus Semmens and Ankerson are classic examples of people appearing knowledgeable and working to a philosophy but not backing it up. That’s OK when you have an alpha manager like Ronald, Poch, or strong-minded (Nigel, Pards) to an extent earlier RH that’s ok.

But when you’re appointing risky candidates - Martin, Jones, Pellegrino, Selles, all worse than Branfoot (and I was around then too) - it leaves them very isolated and the Saints come with a lot of scrutiny and an ownership group with no depth of industry experience really to fall back on, which is why the fans have heard a lot of management speak and theories.

What the club needs to fill the void is a football governance board with former managers and players who the manager and club can draw upon until SR learns the industry. They won’t do it as they genuinely think they’re unique and they’ve cracked it. Reality is they’re deluded. 

How many "football persons" in leadership positions is a club supposed to have?

Ankersen whatever you think of him is a "football person with industry experience" so I'm not sure why you're pretending he isn't.

You seem to saying we need lots more football people around the club with lots of industry experience to help, but how many, who reports to who and which other clubs are you thinking of that do that?

It’s laughable to say or think that the fans that turn up every week and hand over their hard earned money are in anyway to blame for the current situation or the awful last 3 seasons. They’ve been served up a shit show by so called professionals making hundreds of times what the they make but still turn up in the distant hope Saints show up and produce. Don’t ever blame them, they will still be here when all the frauds are long gone.

• Like 3

Not sure why the plum Martin always has to comment on the crowd in his interviews, he’s done it after our recent home defeats and even brought up the Middlesbrough crowd reactions as if that was part of the game. The cock should be paying attention to what’s happening on the pitch, not in the stands.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Absolute rubbish!  Whilst many thought he wasn't right based on his history, he came out with the right words and everyone was onside.  Losing 4 on the run with this squad in this league, playing inept, passionless football and players out of position is why everyone has turned. He's not the right fit.  He seems a good guy and can speak well, but results speak for themselves.

If you're happy to watch mid-table or worse championship football where they tip tap around with no pace and concede exciting counter attacking goals, then well done you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Absolute rubbish!  Whilst many thought he wasn't right based on his history, he came out with the right words and everyone was onside.  Losing 4 on the run with this squad in this league, playing inept, passionless football and players out of position is why everyone has turned. He's not the right fit.  He seems a good guy and can speak well, but results speak for themselves.

If you're happy to watch mid-table or worse championship football where they tip tap around with no pace and concede exciting counter attacking goals, then well done you. 

Not really. Not quite at the Nathan Jones level yet, but he's working on it. Certainly his football has reached that point. And don't forget Jones and Selles had PL opposition, whereas now we're being outplayed by mediocre to crap teams.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JRM said:

im sure alarm bells would be rininging in Swansea fans forums if they were about to get someone like  Ralph or Selles dont you?

14 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Thos players were collectively not good enough for the PL otherwise we would not have been relegated. They had to go as part of rebuilding.

However at some point you need to see you don’t have the players for it, swallow your pride and change things up. If he can’t do that then he needs to **** off sharpish. 

If we don't have the players for it (and I agree with you) then no amount of changing things around is going to turn them into a winning team of stars.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

How many "football persons" in leadership positions is a club supposed to have?

Ankersen whatever you think of him is a "football person with industry experience" so I'm not sure why you're pretending he isn't.

You seem to saying we need lots more football people around the club with lots of industry experience to help, but how many, who reports to who and which other clubs are you thinking of that do that?

The board structure simply isn’t functioning at SFC, you can see that from what will be 5 managers in 10 months shortly which tells us there’s a lack of rigour in the selection process eg Russell your teams have conceded far too many goals to win promotion, how will amend your approach to resolve that or, very costly duplicate mistakes in the transfer market eg Carrillo/Onachu. Or indeed wrongly extending the keeper’s contract Forster/McCarthy creating a further millstone around the club’s neck.

We’ve also seen one good transfer eg Tino turn into a whole strategy which is bonkers.

Yes, Ankerson was at Brentford and they have been successful but where did his role start and Giles’s stop? Because I’m getting the sense he was the ideas man and Giles the doer, because Ankerson’s ideas at SFC have been a disaster one and all.

All clubs make mistakes but we are seeing severe repeat ones like the examples above.

Add in the appalling handling of supporter relations eg block 1, £99 Kingsland seats, and not hard to see why with the debacle on the pitch since 2017 especially at home games, why getting back to the OP’s point why the fanbase is very alienated and really the blaming that comes from the club and small minority of dickheads on here is deluded.

Responding to your point, a steering group to the main board would be a critical friend to stop the club’s lurching from one crisis to another to add scrutiny from an industry perspective and challenge Rasmus et al in practical terms. SFC as an underperforming club at first team level is a very different prospect for Wilcox to Academy Director at City. The quotes at the time seem to indicate Martin was a Wilcox hire but there seems to be some doubt on that now.

The best option would be no Rasmus, but he’s heavily invested in SR so not an option. SR aren’t going to sack themselves and the club ain’t an attractive purchase right now without being transformed successfully if they are going to make money.

You will shoot the idea down I expect but something needs to happen to break the cycle of very poor decisions and lack of rigour. What I’m thinking is recently retired people - recently retired ex-managers, ex-players eg Steven Davis if his ACL finishes him off, ex-senior media. Not to discuss trivia like which beer is on the concourse but major decision-making and strategy.

They’ve sacked Semmens, they are about to sack a fourth manager, they sacked the back room staff for RH, they’ve turned over most of the players, Crocker’s left. And it is still getting worse. We all thought the squad would still be enough to beat the bottom sides and finish say 15th but Saturday blew that theory.

None of us has any faith they will appoint the strong character of a WGS, RK mould of Championship equivalent needed to turn the environment around and challenge these senior people on the bonkers ideas, and we can see Martin struggling in public just like we saw with Jones, Selles, Pellegrino and RH in the last few months. There’s just not the peer environment to bounce ideas off and support. If you don’t like my steering group idea, fair enough, but something is deeply wrong in the organisational fabric. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 3

SInce the start of last season we've had more managers than league home wins. To be fair RM has inherited a difficult situation but all he has done is pour more petrol on the fire. The fans have rightly had enough.

What is even worse is I can't see anything that gives me hope it will improve.

Nothing personal but I'd get rid now. It is not working. SR should sack themselves too, yes RM is the manager but they are the ones doing the appointing and they have not made one decent appointment as of now. How much money are they prepared to burn?

Edited by Cabrone

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Fans to blame?

Our fans are pretty compliant. Even gave the relegated team a nice round of a applause last season.

When was the last time the directors box came under any form of notable pressure during a match day?

Is your seat not close enough to instigate such activity...? ;)

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

When the window closed I thought we had a squad capable of finishing top 2, I think the last few weeks have exposed it’s weaknesses but it’s still good enough to be comfortably top 6 and it’s up to the manager to get the most out of it.