January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Bad news - good news.    It seems that Newcastle are up against it, in trying to avoid the threat of impending FFP " punishment ".

With rumours of  high-salaried players like Kieran Trippier and Callum Wilson on the move, Newcastle may also have to sell Isak PDQ.

Newcastle have a replacement (for Trippier) in Livramento  but there will surely be major changes in Eddie Howe's squad before 1st Feb.

The good news for Saints ...is that Ryan Fraser (already on loan until the summer) may be available at a reasonable fee by then - or sooner?

10 days to go and it’s gone a bit quiet. I’d be happy if nothing changed from here but a new exciting RW option would be a nice bonus. Preferably we don’t see a key target go to a rival and that turn out to be a key signing for them, looking at you Dirty Leeds.

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

If AdamA gets injured we are just left with out of window form Adams and Mara.

if we get a winger like is rumoured then it frees up Adam Armstrong to go through the middle if needed too. I don’t see us buying another forward when we have 3 fit ones, and only play with one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

if we get a winger like is rumoured then it frees up Adam Armstrong to go through the middle if needed too. I don’t see us buying another forward when we have 3 fit ones, and only play with one. 

Yep plus we have options of false 9s I suppose 

34 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

If AdamA gets injured we are just left with out of window form Adams and Mara.

I don't buy this 'out of window form Adams' that some are suggesting. No way would Che try any less when the transfer window is closed. This is backed up by his stats which are not at all bad. The only barren spell he's had where he neither scored nor assisted was during Oct and Nov when, for whatever reason, he wasn't getting that much game time. During that spell of 9 matches he was an unused sub in one, not in the squad in another and played less than 25 minutes in 4 games. Outside of that he has either a goal or an assist in every other game. My only slight criticism is that he's not scored more than one goal in any game but his hold-up play, strength and ability to bring others into the game is top notch. We'll miss him if he goes during this window but I'm hoping he'll stay.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

I don't buy this 'out of window form Adams' that some are suggesting. No way would Che try any less when the transfer window is closed. This is backed up by his stats which are not at all bad. The only barren spell he's had where he neither scored nor assisted was during Oct and Nov when, for whatever reason, he wasn't getting that much game time. During that spell of 9 matches he was an unused sub in one, not in the squad in another and played less than 25 minutes in 4 games. Outside of that he has either a goal or an assist in every other game. My only slight criticism is that he's not scored more than one goal in any game but his hold-up play, strength and ability to bring others into the game is top notch. We'll miss him if he goes during this window but I'm hoping he'll stay.

No way should we sell at moment we need everyone with number of games.

I still would like a Stewart replacement though .

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, saintant said:

Exactly, for me it's nonsense. If you look at his time with us so far he isn't really an "impact player". He seems to do better with a run of games rather than coming off the bench. As you say, he wasn't really starting in Oct/Nov and he just wasn't as effective.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/southampton-target-juventus-star-in-big-money-move/

Southampton FC weigh up big money move for Juventus star

PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

Southampton are reportedly interested in a big money move for Juventus star Matias Soulé in the January transfer window.

Sounds good but very unlikely. Cannot see us spending that amount this season. Also if you read the Italian article it says that the player isn't interested in playing in the Championship. 

51 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Exactly, for me it's nonsense. If you look at his time with us so far he isn't really an "impact player". He seems to do better with a run of games rather than coming off the bench. As you say, he wasn't really starting in Oct/Nov and he just wasn't as effective.

Most people on this forum have/had the opinion that Che is crap anyway (and tbf some of his shooting is woeful). But i don't know why people suddenly think he's skilful enough to just play well instead of crap because the window is open.

Agreed; total nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/southampton-target-juventus-star-in-big-money-move/

PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

Southampton are reportedly interested in a big money move for Juventus star Matias Soulé in the January transfer window.

the club are skint. Absoultely wont be making anything 'big money'

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2024 at 10:13, Harry_SFC said:

Squad if we sign another attacker and no one else left - 

Bazunu, Lumley, McCarthy.

KWP, Bree.

Manning, Meghoma.

THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Holgate.

Downes, Charles, Smallbone, S.Armstrong, Alcaraz, Rothwell, Aribo.

Fraser, Edozie, Sulemena, Benson, A.Armstrong, Adams, Mara.

That's 25 players. Plus promising youngsters SAA and Dibling. At least 2 players per position.

I've discounted Larios and Stewart because it's unlikely they are going to play again this season.

If we do sign Benson that'll be 6 loanees and we are only allowed 5 in a match day squad. Would we leave one out each week or look to terminate one of them? 

Any chance we are going to pay up to make someone like Downes a permanent signing now?

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

Big money = big font

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Most people on this forum have/had the opinion that Che is crap anyway (and tbf some of his shooting is woeful). But i don't know why people suddenly think he's skilful enough to just play well instead of crap because the window is open.

Agreed; total nonsense.

It is possible that players can try a bit harder for a move, though. No? He seems quite motivated at the moment. Perhaps he's just a bit happier that the ball is hitting him and going into the net. 😉

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yep plus we have options of false 9s I suppose 

Che Adams is basically false nine. Great build up play, not so great in front of goal. If we get goals from the wings, then perhaps the latter part doesn't matter so much

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Che Adams is basically false nine. Great build up play, not so great in front of goal. If we get goals from the wings, then perhaps the latter part doesn't matter so much

Quite like that way of looking at it. A goalscoring winger would take the pressure off. 

If I remember correctly a common criticism of Che last year was that he rarely scored one on ones. Has the unerring ability to shoot straight at the keeper in those situations. This year he’s scored a few tap ins and had to manufacture a goal or two but in those split second situations he didn’t seem to have the coolness required to slot ball away. 

Similar to Adam as well which is why when early doors this season I saw him dink the ball over and past keeper for a few goals it was both surprising and a massive delight! He can do it! And seems to have moved on from there. 

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Alex McCarthy link has got to be one of the funniest links.

It does show that the level of scouting etc isn’t up to scratch as of yet. 😂

I heard that Ross Wilson is now at Forest, his wonderful judgement of a player will reap dividends im sure lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DT said:

It is possible that players can try a bit harder for a move, though. No? He seems quite motivated at the moment. Perhaps he's just a bit happier that the ball is hitting him and going into the net. 😉

Of course they can but Che knows he can leave for free at the end of the season anyway. Not sure he's exactly desperate for a move now when he can do what he wants in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I heard that Ross Wilson is now at Forest, his wonderful judgement of a player will reap dividends im sure lol

Poor Steve Cooper had no chance with him behind recruitment last summer.

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

That's not exactly true, is it though? 

well, it is. The squad will be a fair bit of a lower standard, more cost cutting and a bit of buckling up for the long-haul in the Championship

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

well, it is. The squad will be a fair bit of a lower standard, more cost cutting and a bit of buckling up for the long-haul in the Championship

He's insinuating that we will be in big FFP financial trouble if the club doesn't get promotion. Again, that's not true, as we would sell and reduce spending. The huge amount we sold in the Summer made sure that we won't have that much of an issue next season (we can make a loss of £83m this season (over 3 years), £61m next or something like that). Our losses will be nowhere near that. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c00549679be78c8c7443a70e9cd74a1f.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.0953a9b3904b2630d0f387a8d1d127ac.jpeg

Astute move that would be, for a decisive and fast moving club. No matter where they are.

I wholeheartedly encourage them to push hard and quickly to sign Alex.

Great keeper, honest. Sold as seen. Ask no questions, etc.

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

He's insinuating that we will be in big FFP financial trouble if the club doesn't get promotion.

"He isn't"

You're right, we would sell, we would reduce spending and there would be lay offs.

The future plans for the club rely on us going up and going up this season. We won't be able to compete at the business end of the Championship and years of mediocrity in the second tier would be a distinct possibility. 

I'm not talking 2009 but I mean we would be in big trouble as to our future proof planning of being a solid mid-table PL club. It's all up in the air if we don't get promotion. So I'm led to believe. 

• Like 1