January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

7 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

are we not only allowed 5 loans ?? Brooks would make six i think ....Fraser , Holgate , THB, Rothwell , Downes ......maybe Holgate going back or we are converting Fraser

We're only allowed 5 in the match day squad, but I don't think there's a limit on how many we can have on the books.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

are we not only allowed 5 loans ?? Brooks would make six i think ....Fraser , Holgate , THB, Rothwell , Downes ......maybe Holgate going back or we are converting Fraser

we are allowed more than 5 loans, however only 5 can be named in the match day squad so someone has to be left out.....the obvious one for me is Holgate

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

….but why have Bournemouth let him go if he is as good as people on here think?

Because he wants gametime, They wanted to keep him. The player pushed for the move., They've recalled another winger to allow this to happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You ask the question of us, but I don't feel you've bothered to stop and try to answer it yourself.

Seems pretty obvious - they want him back up to speed, but don't anticipate him playing a big role in their first team this season.

We're playing a high level of football and it's a low intervention, short-distance move to come here.

Edited by ant
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

we are allowed more than 5 loans, however only 5 can be named in the match day squad so someone has to be left out.....the obvious one for me is Holgate

Or Rothwell, you simply cant leave the other 4 out if they are fit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Or Rothwell, you simply cant leave the other 4 out if they are fit.

I'd leave Holgate out every day, even if he was fit. We've got Stephens as the backup CB on the bench.

• Like 6

It does make sense from a Bournemouth perspective, outside of their noddy fans fake rivalry bullshit. Brooks won’t get back to where he was without playing regularly and they have players currently ahead of him. He can stay living in his home and get lots of minutes playing for a team on fire.

Normally we wouldn’t be keen to develop another team’s player, especially a team that would be a relegation rival if we do go up. Needs must on this occasion, we would be stupid to not get a player of his quality in to help us with our promotion push. Hope he smashes it and we have the ‘never fall in love with a loan player’ issue.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd leave Holgate out every day, even if he was fit. We've got Stephens as the backup CB on the bench.

The great thing about squad depth is that we don't need to make hard and fast decisions on who is on the bench. For example, while Bree remains injured having Holgate on the bench would give us cover for KWP/Manning at full back. 

Either way, we have 8 games in 29 days coming up, we'll be hit by injuries, suspensions, loss of form and the need to rest certain players. Having this depth will allow us to adapt to whatever is thrown at us i the coming month. 

• Like 5

Makes an awful lot of sense for Brooks - he was Bournemouth's main man, got The Big C and can't get back into the team (to be fair, Bournemouth's squad has improved a lot since he got ill). Where better to walk straight into a team, get lots of game time, make a positive impression and not even have to move house?

Very happy with this signing. Any rumours of an option to buy or is it just a straight six-month loan?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

a good question,  but although B'mouth aren't going to make a Euro spot this season, their squad seems to be holding their own in the Prem.

Brooks has fought back from a life-threatening illness, but hasn't played regularly since, and on current form they don't need him for every match .

I'd say B'mouth have nothing to lose.  They will allow Saints to give him game time (most likely a lot of it) in the next few months to find an answer. 

IF...his fitness holds up OK, both he and his club will benefit and they will have a fit, and in-form player for next season... (unless he stays).

IF... " the project"  doesn't work out they will have the answer they want, and at someone else's cost. 

• Like 1

I can definitely see Alcaraz going before the window shuts (if we get a good offer). For me he's been poor this season apart from a couple of good goals and I'm not sure Martin trusts him. He does have potential though so would it be a mistake long term to let him go? 

The club wouldn't need to sign a replacement either as we are pretty well stacked in that department. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes from the rumours. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I can definitely see Alcaraz going before the window shuts (if we get a good offer). For me he's been poor this season apart from a couple of good goals and I'm not sure Martin trusts him. He does have potential though so would it be a mistake long term to let him go? 

The club wouldn't need to sign a replacement either as we are pretty well stacked in that department. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes from the rumours. 

I'd quite like to keep him but I doubt he will be here next season anyway and if selling him allows us to keep kwp and probably Adams at this stage then it's a no brainier. 

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Clubs showing interest in Alcaraz.

Wouldn't surprise me if he left, whether permanently or on loan. We do have good depth in midfield with Downes and Charles in the holding roles and then Stuey, Smallbone, Rothwell (unknown if he's an upgrade but it looks like Martin will play him ahead of Charley) and Aribo (when he's back from AFCON) in the more advanced positions. As things stand, it seems Martin has him down for a few mins at the end of league games plus cup action, which is probably not enough for him.

Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he left, whether permanently or on loan. We do have good depth in midfield with Downes and Charles in the holding roles and then Stuey, Smallbone, Rothwell (unknown if he's an upgrade but it looks like Martin will play him ahead of Charley) and Aribo (when he's back from AFCON) in the more advanced positions. As things stand, it seems Martin has him down for a few mins at the end of league games plus cup action, which is probably not enough for him.

I do rate Alcaraz, but he hasn't really impressed this season. He actually looked a lot better last season. Might be best for him to move on. But would we get back the £12million we paid for him?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 27/01/2024 at 17:35, SaintNewForest said:

Carillio should've had more of a chance too, being our record signing at the time and all. 

I have seen him play and i just don't get the hype on Sulemena at all, I'm afraid. What has he done in a Saints shirt to warrant such praise and confidence?

well what has the Palace kid done to inspire you, seen a clip on youtube perhaps. Sulemana had done something to be bought in the first place

40 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I do rate Alcaraz, but he hasn't really impressed this season. He actually looked a lot better last season. Might be best for him to move on. But would we get back the £12million we paid for him?

We’d get a fair whack more you’d expect, he’s just signed a new deal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Appy said:

We’d get a fair whack more you’d expect, he’s just signed a new deal. 

He may even have a release clause in his new deal. Either way I could see the club asking for £20-25m.

13 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

We’ll sign him and do the very Saintsy thing of selling Che at the last minute and not replacing him 🙄

Saintsy these days would get it all sorted, not lose any players and get someone else in at the last minute we weren’t expecting.

• Like 3

Alcaraz, despite having had a poor season, is a class act.  When Stu leaves this summer, we will not have any midfielders who take the ball on the half turn and attack the opposition.  That is what Charly does, playing between the lines.  He still has a lot to learn but the potential is there so don't think we should sell him.

• Like 25

24 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Alcaraz, despite having had a poor season, is a class act.  When Stu leaves this summer, we will not have any midfielders who take the ball on the half turn and attack the opposition.  That is what Charly does, playing between the lines.  He still has a lot to learn but the potential is there so don't think we should sell him.

Absolutely this.

The young lad is still learning the language and culture too. Given how long it took the squad to learn RMs tactics you can understand why he's not been involved quite as much as was expected in the summer.

He's still raw and I assume on a fairly low wage compared to others. I can't see any sense in selling him, yet.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Absolutely this! I recall people saying of Schneiderlin when we were in League 1/Championship that they didn't rate him and that he wasn't up to it. However every time we played against Premier League opposition whether that be friendly or cup, he stood out. The style of football played in the championship is very different to the Prem and whilst Alcaraz may not stand out in this team, at this level. I have every confidence that should we go up, he will be a key player next year. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Yes, there's been a couple of times this season he's taken a pass back to goal between the half way line and the penalty area and done his half turn and straightaway created something. Add to that he can see a pass and has a good shot on him and you've got a quality player. A couple have said RM doesn't trust him and that makes sense. He can lose the ball in awkward places but it'll be irritating if he goes to Forest or another average club in the premiership.

8 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He's been getting more game time recently with the cups, and he's done alright tbf. I think he's got potential but just needs a solid run of games - which he is unlikely to get.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They also have Cameron Archer and Brereton-Diaz

Oh right, Do they play 2 forwards in their system then? Otherwise seems madness sending him there.

Worth mentioning other teams are interested too it seems.

Does anyone know whether the reported late valuation, by Burnley for Benson, of £15m is true and, if so, whether that really did cause us to end our commitment to signing him and, also, what valuation did we have in mind?  I am not sure when Benson’s contract ends but unless it is soon £15m for him seems not too far away from a sensible price for him, always assuming that he is as good as was mooted on here several days ago.

8 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Does anyone know whether the reported late valuation, by Burnley for Benson, of £15m is true and, if so, whether that really did cause us to end our commitment to signing him and, also, what valuation did we have in mind?  I am not sure when Benson’s contract ends but unless it is soon £15m for him seems not too far away from a sensible price for him, always assuming that he is as good as was mooted on here several days ago.

We only wanted a straight loan and Burnley changed the goalposts at the last minute demanding an obligation to buy. This aside, Brooks is a better player.

Much like Kompany/Burnley's opinion he is a top performer in the championship, but not quite good enough to step up. Similarly to AA and to an extent Adams

Edited by Saint Scott
  • Like 3