Preston 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Very hard game to predict,  looking at the league table it's a real 6 pointer. 

Both teams currently sat in the play off places but with negative goal differences 

Preston had a superb start to the season but have now gone 5 games without a win , fans are getting restless 

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/new-poll-needed-rl-sacked-or-not.3439214/

Tough one on the fans,  500 mile round trip on a Wednesday night having just been to Hull and back, looks like we've sold about 1400 so far which is a top effort but will look quite empty in an end that holds 5000 

Can still buy match tickets and book travel , half term school holidays so why not treat the whole family 

https://www.nickssaintsawaytravel.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3rE2qqjA36SPBAen2eMmMXQNKNXK44FSDtGejRl9L86vblYZghPyQW9Sc#!/preston-league-game

https://www.southamptonawaytravel.co.uk/shop/sky-bet-championship/preston-north-end/?fbclid=IwAR1q6CH4Lt15H-OBoVrKUH7yJ0LIHKbTjSj4p3RFk8yTEko-bN6W3xRxQRU

Edited by JRM
  • Like 5

We're in good form, they aren't. By all accounts they were poor yesterday as well.

With Manning suspended it will weaken us at FB with Walker Peters having to move across and Bree or Holgate coming in. 

Hopefully none of the other players have any injuries after yesterday and we can carry on putting out a reasonably settled core of the team.

• Like 1

Considering we were 60 seconds away from a mass uprising and release of hate on RM and team yesterday I’d say Wednesday is a must win . 

I cannot personally live my life holding that much anger and poison in me waiting for something as bad as “ only” a draw away to Hull- or in this case a draw or loss to Preston to give it release. I try breathing exercise or go gym or do yoga ( my wife is an instructor) or just read a book and yeah a large whiskey on occasion as an alternate safer outlet.
I do understand how without access to other frustration and anger outlets that it can get like that for saints fans and maybe it’s also the safest way- online we can say and behave in ways perhaps we would not dream of in real life. 

I just hope our Saints support family gives itself a collective break from “ feast or famine , glory or disaster - because the reality is we are always somewhere inbetween and it’s not the destination but the journey they matters.

I want us to win the world club championship in my lifetime but  as long as we play - and support - with ❤️ that’s more than enough for me. We did yesterday and frankly barring some bad days have done most of season. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Considering we were 60 seconds away from a mass uprising and release of hate on RM and team yesterday I’d say Wednesday is a must win . 

I cannot personally live my life holding that much anger and poison in me waiting for something as bad as “ only” a draw away to Hull- or in this case a draw or loss to Preston to give it release. I try breathing exercise or go gym or do yoga ( my wife is an instructor) or just read a book and yeah a large whiskey on occasion as an alternate safer outlet.
I do understand how without access to other frustration and anger outlets that it can get like that for saints fans and maybe it’s also the safest way- online we can say and behave in ways perhaps we would not dream of in real life. 

I just hope our Saints support family gives itself a collective break from “ feast or famine , glory or disaster - because the reality is we are always somewhere inbetween and it’s not the destination but the journey they matters.

I want us to win the world club championship in my lifetime but  as long as we play - and support - with ❤️ that’s more than enough for me. We did yesterday and frankly barring some bad days have done most of season. 

What a load of old shit.

• Like 15
  • Haha 6

Agree that it will be Bree but in the interests of keeping as settled a team as possible I’d start Charlie again.He’s got to score at some point- last two matches goalies done worldies to deny him! 
Is it inevitable Bree plays RB and KWP switches? If there’s a possibility of not changing our best players position - and this season far and away it’s kwp- I’d keep him in the same position he’s been brilliant at all season. Surely Experienced Bree can handle it? 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

What a load of old shit.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/saints-foundation-what-we-do

It’s what Southampton FC Foundation is trying to do too.  Thanks for your support. 

And if you think that the mental well-being of saints fans is not an issue try this:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/hampshire-news/ten-hampshire-areas-see-suicide-7579252

Edited by gio1saints

11 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/saints-foundation-what-we-do

It’s what Southampton FC Foundation is trying to do too.  Thanks for your support. 

And if you think that the mental well-being of saints fans is not an issue try this:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/hampshire-news/ten-hampshire-areas-see-suicide-7579252

I think this is off topic for a build up thread to a mid week away game, but I can sense your self righteous superiority flooding out the thread. Seriously well done, you're awesome.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

8/10

#textbook

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Preston vs Saints: Wednesday 1945
2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Did God make you write all that drivel? 

• Like 4

Hi Noodles do you post from Italy or have a IT connection if I recall? If so: Ciao e Forza Saints!.
Back to  Wednesday night Preston v Saints.
If we are not winning or it’s even a draw from 19.45 onwards I’m encouraging Saints fans not to be too hard on themselves - and others including the team and posters here online. 

It was evident from the Hull in match comments that some of our online support were ( rightly at times - but not to the point of suicidal despair or nasty abuse) very upset we were only drawing. I’m not sure that was the view of the 2000 who travelled though.

So, IF we are only drawing away to Preston - which we will be at kick off - I’m just encouraging fellow Saints to not take it too badly. Maybe it’s this suicide awareness course I’m doing but I’m just aware that with something as emotive as the team we love if anything there goes wrong it can cascade into daily life as well. And it can be the final straw. Just looking out for fellow saints that’s all.  And I’m not God squad either. Just a stupid man like most of us. 
My prediction away win and Charlie to actually score a goals not let there goalie do yet another wonder save like last two matches!😂

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Once again almost impossible to predict as we are a bit hot and cold. Preston's home form is pretty good as per the stats below

6 4 1 1 9 9 0 13

Where as, we all know we have won 4 and lost 2 away from home. Looks pretty odds on for a draw.  Interesting though that they have won so many more than lost/drawn but still have an even GD. A game we need to win to show some genuine intent but would be OK with a draw as my expectation for this season are top 6 at the very best, unless RM is replaced, which is highly unlikely.

2-2 draw.

37 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Once again almost impossible to predict as we are a bit hot and cold. Preston's home form is pretty good as per the stats below

6 4 1 1 9 9 0 13

Interesting though that they have won so many more than lost/drawn but still have an even GD. 

Yeah, they lost 4-0 to West Brom, and all their four wins have been by one goal.

I never know whether, in these sort of games,  I favour going defensive and irritating them or risk going for the early goal and really unsettling the crowd.

By "these sort of games", I mean away fixtures against opponents we have a fair chance of beating and who have a restless fan base (which PNE seem to at the moment)

7 hours ago, The Cat said:

We're in good form, they aren't. By all accounts they were poor yesterday as well.

With Manning suspended it will weaken us at FB with Walker Peters having to move across and Bree or Holgate coming in. 

Hopefully none of the other players have any injuries after yesterday and we can carry on putting out a reasonably settled core of the team.

Manning has been pretty awful for us in a lot of games this season, so there's a bit of irony in him being suspended then weakens the team. I'd prefer to keep KWP where he is because he's been playing really well at right back, so don't change it.

Bree has played left back for Luton so surely he can do a job there. At the pre-season match at Reading, the lads next to us had the chant: "James Bree, his name is a cheese; James Bree his name is a cheese"...which must be up there as one of the most moronic chants ever...but could we hear it again at Preston?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Please not Mason Holgate please not Mason Holgate

I actually thought he was half decent at right back when he started for us there a few games back (can't remember which game). But then he had his trademark brain-fart after about 20 - 30 mins which led to us conceding the first goal. 

Edited by trousers

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

I actually thought he was half decent at right back when he started for us there a few games back (can't remember which game). But then he had his trademark brain-fart after about 20 - 30 mins which led to us conceding the first goal. 

Middlesbrough wasn’t it? Got hooked at half time.

Bree seems completely out of favour so I expect it’ll be Holgate at right back KWP left back given that Larios seems to have picked up another injury 

According to trip advisor the 15th best thing to do in Preston is visit Preston train station. 3 places below it is a visit to Deepdale. Is this because train spotting in Preston is more fun than watching soccerball? 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187062-Activities-oa0-Preston_Lancashire_England.html

If you’re at a loose end before the game why not visit Preston bus station? The 27th most popular thing to do one above  Beer Brothers Brewery, 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

In an ideal world Meghoma, who looked alright in pre-season and has looked good for the Under-21s this season is ready to step up, keeping KWP on the right. 

Although, could go the same way as Jankewitz.

Not sure making your debut away at Preston is quite the same as at Old Trafford but you never know I guess.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

According to trip advisor the 15th best thing to do in Preston is visit Preston train station. 3 places below it is a visit to Deepdale. Is this because train spotting in Preston is more fun than watching soccerball? 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187062-Activities-oa0-Preston_Lancashire_England.html

If you’re at a loose end before the game why not visit Preston bus station? The 27th most popular thing to do one above  Beer Brothers Brewery, 

I’m collecting someone there before the game …..so I’ll have done both!!

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Can’t wait, we’re going up early cause of the extra sightseeing required. 
There is a wall that Nick Park once sat on with his dog, Gromit. 
And isn’t this where The Ordinary Boys are from? 

Preston? My gran once played football at Fulwood barracks in 1916 when she was working in the office sending out telegrams during the Somme.. Some of the depot officers started the team (this was at the time of Dick, Kerr Ladies) but gran didn't last long as she didn't like the early morning training!

• Like 1

Had earmarked this as a perfect game for Bree to be a front sweeper covering the whole pitch and stopping attacks. Would bring him in for Adam Armstrong who didn't score many in the PL the last two seasons.

That means Holgate in for Manning and Safri to give Smallbone a rest.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gio1saints said:

You definitely get out of the bath for a piss ;)  

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Can’t wait, we’re going up early cause of the extra sightseeing required. 
There is a wall that Nick Park once sat on with his dog, Gromit. 
And isn’t this where The Ordinary Boys are from? 

Very good - took me a while 😂

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 10:39, gio1saints said:

Morning Nathan. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 08:30, JRM said:

Tough one on the fans,  500 mile round trip on a Wednesday night having just been to Hull and back, looks like we've sold about 1400 so far which is a top effort but will look quite empty in an end that holds 5000 

Can still buy match tickets and book travel , half term school holidays so why not treat the whole family 

https://www.nickssaintsawaytravel.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3rE2qqjA36SPBAen2eMmMXQNKNXK44FSDtGejRl9L86vblYZghPyQW9Sc#!/preston-league-game

https://www.southamptonawaytravel.co.uk/shop/sky-bet-championship/preston-north-end/?fbclid=IwAR1q6CH4Lt15H-OBoVrKUH7yJ0LIHKbTjSj4p3RFk8yTEko-bN6W3xRxQRU

Just short of 1,600 now - how many miles have our lot already clocked up on the road this season?

There'll no doubt be a big tribute to Sir Bobby on Wednesday, ex-Preston player and manager, who'll certainly get an immaculate response from both sets of fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Just short of 1,600 now - how many miles have our lot already clocked up on the road this season?

Wednesday

Plymouth

Sunderland 

Boro

Stoke

Hull 

Preston

Over 3300 miles 

That’s a pretty ridiculous run in terms of travel. 3 of the next 5 are inside the M25, plus Coventry and Huddersfield. 

Edited by Jack
Mileage

• Lighthouse changed the title to Preston 2-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic