Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Not sure what Bree did to get dropped.

Surprised to see Sulemana start after his little strop on Saturday.

Team is pretty settled these days, Che is well out the picture (correctly, based on form).

Hoping for a performance like the first half of Saturday's game. And a rocket up the arse during half time (the players, not me).

5 hours ago, Green said:

I always think that I have a good recollection of the games in our Championship promotion season but can't recall anything about this one: https://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-bristol-city-30-december-2011-296325/ 

Lee Holmes was on the bench for us that day and Aaron Martin started according to the link above . 

Met an American kid in Yates before that game, he was extremely excited to be going to see us on a very cold december night. Delighted he would be getting a chance to buy one of our 'Jerseys' and see this team tearing up the championship in person.

Hope he wasn't too dissapointed.

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Not sure what Bree did to get dropped.

Surprised to see Sulemana start after his little strop on Saturday.

Team is pretty settled these days, Che is well out the picture (correctly, based on form).

Hoping for a performance like the first half of Saturday's game. And a rocket up the arse during half time (the players, not me).

Sulemana annoyed at being taken off ? Russel Martin explained why he was taken off in post match interviews and praised his attitude. 
That’s the beauty of our squad. Largest and best squad in the league and a lot of players are going to improve as the season really kicks in. The squad size is really going to help and give an advantage over other sides bearing the volume of matches coming up. 
can’t understand the panicking about the absence of Ross Stewart why rush him. He’s going to get loads of games. Say he’s just had a minor tweak what would be the point of rushing him into play ?

2 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Stewart pulled out of one tackle at Huddersfield, just after he came on, and I wondered at the time if there was any significance in it - whether it’s physical or mental.

I remember that, and had a similar thought, as to whether he’d be putting himself into tackles and 50:50 balls as he might have done pre-injury.

Not criticising him if it is the case after the ordeal of a long term injury, it’s understandable.

Any questions over that are for those who made the signing with the inherent risks involved. 

4 minutes ago, GrumpyYorkshireSaint said:

Sulemana selection is a suprise given his efforts on Saturday. Mara might get on later as Edozie offered little with his time against Huddersfield as well.

Sulemana is the more threatening of the three. Edozie does offer a bit of pace, and nifty footwork, albeit seldom any end product. Mara on the other hand is often a waste of space. 

29 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Early call for a Manning MOM performance.

Without Smallbone, Charles as a more solidly based DM offering cover for a more aggressive attack. Typed hopefully...

I can safely say that one of the Mannings tonight will end the game happier than the other.

20 minutes ago, manji said:

can’t understand the panicking about the absence of Ross Stewart why rush him. He’s going to get loads of games. Say he’s just had a minor tweak what would be the point of rushing him into play ?

Nobody would be concerned about him being rested if that's the case. However, IF it is more of a significant relapse then any concern is logical and justified rather than "panicking"...

Edited by trousers

16 minutes ago, GrumpyYorkshireSaint said:

Sulemana selection is a suprise given his efforts on Saturday. Mara might get on later as Edozie offered little with his time against Huddersfield as well.

Can't agree.  He's a match winner (potentially).  The goals will come.   He has to play.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Bristol City - Match Thread

Poor finish from Sulemana, but that’s more of what we need to see. I think Saints can be a bit too predictable, would much prefer our front three to switch positions an awful lot more than they do. Like a low rent Liverpool when they had Mane, Firmino and Salah who had defined starting positions but realistically could pop up anywhere across the front line. Sulemana most often seems to just hold down the left when I’ve watched him.

6 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Anyone else missing commentary on red button?

Just came on. Shouldn't complain, its better than nothing, but both commentary and visuals are 1 star on this red button ting.

Edited by stknowle

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic