Ryan Manning

Bad Wolf

Bloody hell. I know he was on a free but that was fast work Saints! I read on here literally an hour ago that he was at Staplewood today and... bang. He signs. Wanted by Prem clubs, one of the best LBs in the League last season, good signing. Must mean Perraud is a goner which is a mild shame as I think he might have been decent this season. Anyway welcome Ryan. Get Charles over the line and the rebuild is well under way. I wanted to get some players in before we lose players and that would be a decent start. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

No idea about him but what I've read on my usual trusted sites he seems very good. Wonder where we're intending on playing him though as seems his best performances came at either left back or DM.

In the interview Martin said left back. 

• Like 2

I was hoping for either Giles or Manning as our LWB signing this summer, as I thought either would be an upgrade on Perraud - so I'm happy we've got Manning in, on a free too - no brainer really. Definitely sought after, even PL clubs sniffed around him as he progressed a lot last year.

I always felt we were unballanced with Perraud in the side, even though he was committed enough and you could never fault his effort, I always felt he was pretty limited and often caught out - so this may even be an upgrade on him.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Preferred Ruben Vinagre, but hopefully Manning can do a great job for us. From what I have read he's better gong forward than defensively. Not sure he is terribly quick, which I personally feel is essential for top class full backs, but we're in the championship now, so need to temper expectations. In terms of individual quality, we are bound to get worse this summer, but I just wonder if Manning might actually be better than Perraud. Hope so.

46 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Bloody hell. I know he was on a free but that was fast work Saints! I read on here literally an hour ago that he was at Staplewood today and... bang. He signs. Wanted by Prem clubs, one of the best LBs in the League last season, good signing. Must mean Perraud is a goner which is a mild shame as I think he might have been decent this season. Anyway welcome Ryan. Get Charles over the line and the rebuild is well under way. I wanted to get some players in before we lose players and that would be a decent start. 

Think it just shows when clubs want transfers to go under the radar they can. A lot of time things get leaked by agents of one of the clubs. Don’t think it was done any quicker than most take, just the leak of info only came right at the end.

Nicely done, relatively quick and under the radar (although it was obvious we were after him). The Swansea fan on here giving us the lowdown about Martin and the squad seemed to think Manning was a bit suspect defensively, but as he's only become a left back recently and seemingly excelled from the off, let's hope he continues to be a fast learner.

Assuming Perraud is off - although, if he stayed we'd have some strong options down the left - I wonder who'll be back up at LB. Trust Larios to get and stay fit? Promote Meghoma from the 18s (he's been training with the first team all pre season - not like we haven't given a 17 year old LB a go with success in the past)? Or will the enigmatic Thierry Small step up and show that he can be the player he is in his head?

Good to see we're not waiting until players leave, to strengthen. I liked Perraud, but if he wanted away, this is a solid replacement. It also remind players who want to leave where the exit is. We've plenty of youngsters who can provide back up to help us and their development. And Djenepo can also play there.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

From what I have read he's better gong forward than defensively. 

The Danny Fox of this promotion campaign!!

Sounds like a decent solid signing for us, a round peg for a round hole. Be interesting to see how we set up on both wings with Mara, Perraud and Manning available on the left, and then KWP, Tino and Bree on the right all on the books currently.

12 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

The Danny Fox of this promotion campaign!!

Sounds like a decent solid signing for us, a round peg for a round hole. Be interesting to see how we set up on both wings with Mara, Perraud and Manning available on the left, and then KWP, Tino and Bree on the right all on the books currently.

I don't even remember Fox being THAT good going forward tbh.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Perfect signing.

Goes to show that a player can turn down the chance of Premier League football to play in the Championship if they want to.

I don’t know anything about Manning so I can’t judge, but who in the Prem showed solid interest?

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

A left back with 11 assists in our promotion season isn’t that good going forward? Ok. Tough benchmark. Or shit memory. One of the two.

I didn't know he'd got that many. Fair point, well made.

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

His defending was tragic however

Was it? We had the 3rd best defensive record so couldn’t have been that bad. He wasn’t up to it in the premier league but he was a very good championship left back

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

A left back with 11 assists in our promotion season isn’t that good going forward? Ok. Tough benchmark. Or shit memory. One of the two.

He did think Alphonso Davies was the worlds best right back so guess it’s difficult to keep track of full backs 

Just now, Turkish said:

Was it? We had the 3rd best defensive record so couldn’t have been that bad. He wasn’t up to it in the premier league but he was a very good championship left back

Exactly this. Same for ‘oover, and Kelvin. Very good in tge league below, not quite good enough for premier league. 

• Like 1

Great start to the window. He ticks every box and was an absolute no brainer.

Knows Martins system and has a wealth of Championship experience. 

I hope he's a sign of things to come.

Que many risky signings.. 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah it was the PL that I remember most. Recall him being so left foot dominant that he got done on the cut back inside so many times.

Was certainly a very good signing for the championship

20 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I don’t know anything about Manning so I can’t judge, but who in the Prem showed solid interest?

No idea, Martin mentioned it in his interview on the OS.

“We've beaten competition from two clubs in the Premier League for him, which I'm really pleased about, because I thought the lure of that would make it difficult for us, but he's come here because he knows the work and he believes in it.”

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

“We've beaten competition from two clubs in the Premier League for him, which I'm really pleased about, because I thought the lure of that would make it difficult for us, but he's come here because he knows the work and he believes in it.”

I think I saw maybe Sheffield United were one of them, could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Thank you 

32 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not that season he wasn’t. He just got found out in the prem cos of his lack of pace, 

No his positioning was terrible in the Championship too. I can vividly remember him exposing us in the defensive line. We were just good enough that we could carry him for his attacking abilities. I was amazed when we carried on playing him in the Premier League

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

People saying that this signing signals that Perraud is on his way, but if it wasnt a certainty before then KWP will definitely be sold. We've Tino and Bree for RB cover and although KWP has played LB, we've now got Manning and at least one of Perraud and Larios.

KWP will also get us a much better fee compared with Perraud 

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

People saying that this signing signals that Perraud is on his way, but if it wasnt a certainty before then KWP will definitely be sold. We've Tino and Bree for RB cover and although KWP has played LB, we've now got Manning and at least one of Perraud and Larios.

KWP would be a great cover signing for a team in Europe. English as well you'd imagine some big clubs will be all over that. 

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

There have been absolutely no links around KWP which I think is odd, a real steady PL player - put him in a team with better players and he'd be comfortable at that level.

I think he'd 100% improve Bournemouth given that their RB option is Adam Smith, ditto Sheffield United and Luton - but they're both skint so it seems that their promotion was a bit pointless.

He'd even improve Palace or West Ham and become a starter imo - £20-25m would probably get him, not sure why you wouldn't go for someone like him at that price.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Manning