Ryan Manning

Bad Wolf

14 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Can't believe Bree lost his place. Shows that Martin will pick his mates ahead of players doing well.

I think Bree should play but the reason Martin plays Manning is he wants more attacking penetration - that thing that everyone here claims they want rather than tippy tappy passing

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Haha 1

On 13/12/2023 at 22:20, notnowcato said:

Got the assist 🤣🤣

He probably does start as I think KWP has a knock. 

I thought he had, but it was S Armstrong to Fraser who crossed short, flicked on by A Armstrong and finished by Edozie.

• Like 2

It’s not just the fact that Manning has a number deficiencies - the back four are left completely unbalanced when he’s in the side. KWP and Bree execute RM’s system far more intelligently than Manning, who seems to think going on walk-about and then giving the ball away is a smart move.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I think Bree should play but the reason Martin plays Manning is he wants more attacking penetration - that thing that everyone here claims they want rather than tippy tappy passing

I'm quite old fashioned, but I'd rather a full back could defend first and foremost before adding an attacking threat.

I know that's quite unfashionable and out of date these days, mind.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

I'm quite old fashioned, but I'd rather a full back could defend first and foremost before adding an attacking threat.

I know that's quite unfashionable and out of date these days, mind.

I don't give a damn whether he is really a pretty poor attacker or midfielder he is primarily a defender and a piss poor one at that. Even worse he gives the ball away when under no pressure and gets caught in possession. His biggest weakness is he's unable to use his right foot probably because he doesn't trust himself. He is so one footed he is predictable therefore easy to catch on the ball.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, derry said:

I don't give a damn whether he is really a pretty poor attacker or midfielder he is primarily a defender and a piss poor one at that. Even worse he gives the ball away when under no pressure and gets caught in possession. His biggest weakness is he's unable to use his right foot probably because he doesn't trust himself. He is so one footed he is predictable therefore easy to catch on the ball.

Added to that he ignores his winger and sits in midfield bang on the centre line. The opposition has all the time in the world to get the ball out wide and out in a measured cross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

We always need a whipping boy. 

In his case I don’t think it’s personal in the way it is with some players. You can’t criticise his commitment or application. I think people are genuinely perplexed as to why we bought him and why he gets picked over a better all round player. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

In his case I don’t think it’s personal in the way it is with some players. You can’t criticise his commitment or application. I think people are genuinely perplexed as to why we bought him and why he gets picked over a better all round player. 

Is that the James Bree who should never wear a Saints shirt again, said by many on here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Is that the James Bree who should never wear a Saints shirt again, said by many on here

Shows you how fickle football fans are. Remember a few months ago when Bree was being called a pointless Jones signing and is League Two standard?

Yet if he leaves in Jan, it'll be the same people crying about there being "No loyalty in football anymore" and "Footballers should see out their contracts, we gave him a chance!!"

Not sure I've ever seen Bree have a bad game for us, even in the PL his few appearances were 6/10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Not by me, he was unfortunate by association with Nathan Jones. He has also done well when called on this season.

Exactly this. He was being played at RB ahead of KWP so Jones could shoe-horn him in - made no sense. To his credit he has done a really good job at LB…arguably better showings than when he played RB.

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

We could put a half decent team together of players who should never wear a Saints shirt again , all who have been given that honour on here in the last year !!!!

.  Bazzuna, Bree, Stephens, Bedanrk, Manning,    Adam Armstrong, Smallbones, Charles, Aribo,   Adams, Mara.   ( To name but a few 😉).

Substitutes:  to many to mention 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting Echo article on him today. 

I had not remembered his goal or assist stats from Swansea last year but if the last two games chance output is a thing to go by he may just lose his scoring Cherry very soon ( hopefully!)

I’m not sure if by “chances” they mean shots on target or merely shots- but, on average this season, saints would have scored at least one goal from 9 shots and 3 goals if those 9 shots were on target. So, Ryan, and Saints, are rather unfortunate to not have an assist or two more to his name from last two matches. 

From the Daily Echo: 

He notched five goals and provided ten assists in a Swansea shirt last season, but has only managed to make two assists so far at Southampton. 

Across his last two appearances, Manning has created nine chances (four against Plymouth and five against Norwich City) - the most of any player.

Edited by gio1saints

Unfortunately he can't defend. If we keep leaving chasms like we did against Norwich, the odd assist will not be worth the trade off. Bree for me every time because he knows how to defend which is the foundation of any promotion chasing team.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Can't stand watching Manning. We're so enjoyable to watch at the moment which makes it extra frustrating that we have such a weak link at left back. His passing is frighteningly bad. How is Bree not starting ahead of him?

Because Bree is injured.

He isn't as bad as people make out, I just think because KWP is levels ahead of him (and most other full backs in the league) it stands out a bit more when he makes a mistake.

If we do get promoted, we will definitely need a new left back though. I remember Danny Fox in the Prem...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

He isn't as bad as people make out, I just think because KWP is levels ahead of him (and most other full backs in the league) it stands out a bit more when he makes a mistake.

If we do get promoted, we will definitely need a new left back though. I remember Danny Fox in the Prem...

That’s part of the problem though…it unbalances the defence. He interprets RM-ball in his own way and tries to play like KWP, but with 50% of the ability, meaning his deficiencies especially in defence (but also in transition) are often horribly exposed. A decent team like Leicester will take him apart.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think this is an excellent point. 
KWP is the best RB in this league bar none.Attack or defend.  Every team we’ve played have had to work hard to keep him at bay. 
If I was an opposition manager I would concentrate on the other flank wherever possible. 

By his own admission Ryan has played poorly at times early on - BUT - has got his place back via injury and the last two matches have shown more of what was expected and playing better. 

Small but unpopular point,

much of his apparent deficiency is arguably ( means maybe not necessarily so before you go full abuse mode) due to KWP having more licence to go wherever he likes up front but mainly right and centre. Ryan has clearly been told to stay narrow by default usually to support the defensive set up in case of counter attacks and interceptions etc. It’s rare he overlaps at LB for instance.

His defensive responsibility in that regard is a curb on his natural attacking strengths and may explain in part why he’s got most yellow cards this season for us. - and not looked as good because this role is not optimal for his skill set m. 

If he plays v Walsall and KWP rested and allowed more freedom I would not be surprised if he scores or assists. Will check the price out as should be good. 😎
Fire away all you who hate him Happy to discuss with normal fair minded Saints fans though. Think proof should be in the pudding because- in light of above he’s not as terrible as many of you make out. In fact he’s a very decent player who supports our system well and selflessly.

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When the whole team was playing at 5mph and he was just playing short pedestrian passes sideways and backwards he didn't look great, but since we got the hang of moving the ball quickly he looks much better and is cool under pressure.

He's no KWP but he's much improved, as are many.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan Manning has averaged the most chances created per 90 among the Southampton squad this season (1.9), just ahead of Stuart Armstrong (1.8), 

Not so useless after all. Who is the next whipping boy? Some of ya gotta have one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Ryan Manning has averaged the most chances created per 90 among the Southampton squad this season (1.9), just ahead of Stuart Armstrong (1.8), 

Not so useless after all. Who is the next whipping boy? Some of ya gotta have one!

Its his defending and giving the ball away in our half which is the issue I think.

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Its his defending and giving the ball away in our half which is the issue I think.

Yeah, got no issue with his creativity. He just isn't that great at defending. Which when you're in a team as good as ours in an ok league, you can largely get away with. If we got promoted though he would really get shown up.

He's basically another Danny Fox. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

It doesn’t confirm which side he’s creating the chances for.

• Haha 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Manning