Ryan Manning

Bad Wolf

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

KWP would be a great cover signing for a team in Europe. English as well you'd imagine some big clubs will be all over that. 

Liverpool could do worse, especially if they're seriously considering moving TAA into midfield. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There have been absolutely no links around KWP which I think is odd, a real steady PL player - put him in a team with better players and he'd be comfortable at that level.

I think he'd 100% improve Bournemouth given that their RB option is Adam Smith, ditto Sheffield United and Luton - but they're both skint so it seems that their promotion was a bit pointless.

He'd even improve Palace or West Ham and become a starter imo - £20-25m would probably get him, not sure why you wouldn't go for someone like him at that price.

maybe we are asking for a lot more?

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There have been absolutely no links around KWP which I think is odd, a real steady PL player - put him in a team with better players and he'd be comfortable at that level.

I think he'd 100% improve Bournemouth given that their RB option is Adam Smith, ditto Sheffield United and Luton - but they're both skint so it seems that their promotion was a bit pointless.

He'd even improve Palace or West Ham and become a starter imo - £20-25m would probably get him, not sure why you wouldn't go for someone like him at that price.

Surely not that seems massively overpriced. 15 million imo. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If he had 1 year left, yeah - 15m. But his contract is up in 2025, so we should be aiming for the 20-25 mark in my eyes. 

I don't think we would have any chance of that amount personally. He would only be backup for a top club and they aren't going to be paying that much. Lower teams won't be able to afford it. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think we would have any chance of that amount personally. He would only be backup for a top club and they aren't going to be paying that much. Lower teams won't be able to afford it. 

Then he stays imo - think we're in a position to play this one on our terms given the contract situ. Salisu and Adams are slightly different, as I think we'd accept any 'reasonable' offers for those guys.

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Then he stays imo - think we're in a position to play this one on our terms given the contract situ. Salisu and Adams are slightly different, as I think we'd accept any 'reasonable' offers for those guys.

Why would he stay if he won't play? He's not getting in the team ahead of Manning and Tino. It's almost certain he will go imo. 

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

£15m these days buys you unproven nobodies from the Belgian League, not experienced (but still young) Englishmen who’ve proven themselves more than competent in the PL already. £15m would be about what we got for Vest, with only a year left on his contract.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

£15m these days buys you unproven nobodies from the Belgian League, not experienced (but still young) Englishmen who’ve proven themselves more than competent in the PL already. £15m would be about what we got for Vest, with only a year left on his contract.

KWP has an England cap too

• Like 1

Seems a no brainer and a good signing for a free.  He mentioned the need for squad depth given the numbers of games that will come thick and fast, so perhaps there’s a plan to play both Perraud and Manning at LB - square pegs in square holes and similar quality…better than relying on a lesser player in the advent of injury.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chez said:

Preferred Ruben Vinagre, but hopefully Manning can do a great job for us. From what I have read he's better gong forward than defensively. Not sure he is terribly quick, which I personally feel is essential for top class full backs, but we're in the championship now, so need to temper expectations. In terms of individual quality, we are bound to get worse this summer, but I just wonder if Manning might actually be better than Perraud. Hope so.

Lets not get carried away chez, we need to see his crossing ability -  his stats say he can cross the ball but can he do it for us.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

Most exciting/shrewd signing since SR took over in my opinion.

Shrewd maybe, but I think Lavia has him covered in the excitement department.   Let's hope he's anywhere near as good as another left-back named Ryan joined Saints.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Lets not get carried away chez, we need to see his crossing ability -  his stats say he can cross the ball but can he do it for us.

Especially if we don’t have anyone to cross too….how often last season did we have just 1 v 4.

On paper looks a very good signing.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Cracking left foot. Him and Fraser Richardson/Butterfield were excellent full backs that season. 

The amount of goals we scored with the Richardson/Butterfield/Fox ball into Lambert at the back post was a joy to watch. A big centre forward with heading ability like Rickie is key for next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

The amount of goals we scored with the Richardson/Butterfield/Fox ball into Lambert at the back post was a joy to watch. A big centre forward with heading ability like Rickie is key for next season.

Should we be keeping Tall Paul then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Why would he stay if he won't play? He's not getting in the team ahead of Manning and Tino. It's almost certain he will go imo. 

KWP's a better fullback than both IMO. He wasn't good last year, but prior to that, he was tremendous for us. Two seasons ago, Tino started well, but he faded and his defending wasn't great. We also don't know how his injury has affected him. We've not seen Manning kick a ball for us. KWP was a better left back than Perraud and kept him out of the side for periods. Is Manning better than Perraud? 

That said, we have too many right backs, so you are probably right that he will depart. Your price of £15m would be a great deal for someone. Might be tough for us to get £25m after last season (and buyers knowing we probably need to offload some wages), but it seems five minutes since we were talking about £30-40m for him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

KWP's a better fullback than both IMO. He wasn't good last year, but prior to that, he was tremendous for us. Two seasons ago, Tino started well, but he faded and his defending wasn't great. We also don't know how his injury has affected him. We've not seen Manning kick a ball for us. KWP was a better left back than Perraud and kept him out of the side for periods. Is Manning better than Perraud? 

That said, we have too many right backs, so you are probably right that he will depart. Your price of £15m would be a great deal for someone. Might be tough for us to get £25m after last season (and buyers knowing we probably need to offload some wages), but it seems five minutes since we were talking about £30-40m for him.

The only chance he has of staying is if we cash in on Tino. With Bree performing so well last year in the Championship we simply aren't going to be able to keep three right backs. The reality is we failed last year and many of the players values will be hit as a consequence. I expect a lot of clubs will just wait it out so we better hope we have offloaded enough in the next couple of weeks or we are going to have to accept knockdown prices for some (not a great sign that Liverpool are now saying they have to sell before they can buy with Lavia.)

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The only chance he has of staying is if we cash in on Tino. With Bree performing so well last year in the Championship we simply aren't going to be able to keep three right backs. The reality is we failed last year and many of the players values will be hit as a consequence. I expect a lot of clubs will just wait it out so we better hope we have offloaded enough in the next couple of weeks or we are going to have to accept knockdown prices for some (not a great sign that Liverpool are now saying they have to sell before they can buy with Lavia.)

I agree. Not good that Lavia was not sold early for a shit load - the financial pressure could mount. Perhaps little wonder that Dragon had to give the club another £18m last week to tide us over. 

1 hour ago, Kermitzasaint said:

How do you get rated as the best fullback when your defence let's in so many goals?

You contribute more goals and assists than most midfielders in the league. It's the modern fullback (a la "Trent", the greatest right back the world has ever seen); defending doesn't matter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chez said:

KWP is a tremendous player and one of the best RBs in the UK.   There has been a lot of underselling of KWP.   Claims he was poor last season demand a bit of context.  In such an awful season as last, with the Manager turnover; players like Elyounoussi, Walcott, Arma etc clogging up attacking/creative spots, it was often left to KWP to be our sole attacking source; at least until Alcaraz arrived in January.    Then there was the constant swapping to LB - and the pantomime of Jones "tenure" followed by the deeply disappointing huff and puff of Selles.

There will be Premier League offers, and if someone claims him for 15m pounds, they have got a bargain.    

• Like 7

"KWP is a tremendous player and one of the best RBs in the UK." - austsaint

No doubt about that at all. AT ALL!

Presumably 'though it's one or t'other in the selling stakes, perhaps depending on the highest offer received? If we get a bigger offer for Livramento than for Walker-Peters then maybe Tino goes and we hang onto Kyle.

In any case the way Livramento was wandering around the pitch yesterday in what appeared to be a free ranging role then there would appear to be room for both, keep Kyle at RB and move Tino to attacking midfield. A midfield of Charles, Livramento & Ward Prowse should be good enough and the lad from Tottenham looks a very worthy back-up.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

54 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

"KWP is a tremendous player and one of the best RBs in the UK." - austsaint

No doubt about that at all. AT ALL!

Presumably 'though it's one or t'other in the selling stakes, perhaps depending on the highest offer received? If we get a bigger offer for Livramento than for Walker-Peters then maybe Tino goes and we hang onto Kyle.

In any case the way Livramento was wandering around the pitch yesterday in what appeared to be a free ranging role then there would appear to be room for both, keep Kyle at RB and move Tino to attacking midfield. A midfield of Charles, Livramento & Ward Prowse should be good enough and the lad from Tottenham looks a very worthy back-up.

I was also thinking about if we kept both, if we could play them both. Neither looks like a natural third centre back if we play the system Swansea did, so the only option then is to push one forward. I wonder if Tino might work as an outside centre back because he is bigger than KWP and will presumably still bulk up as he continues to mature, but I'm not sure yet

I agree that KWP is a superb right back (better than as a left back in my opinion). Unfortunately he only has a year left on his contract, I really don't expect us to persuade him to extend, and we won't want him to leave on a free. So most likely he either leaves now or in January. 

There is definitely an argument for Tino playing on the right of midfield. He's confident with the ball at his feet, and made some memorable rampaging runs before his injury. He also doesn't seem to be pushing hard for a move. 

We would appear to have a good number of saleable assets within the squad (indicative of good players bought, but either don't fit in the team, or were poorly managed). You would think that if we made 3 or 4 big sales the pressure to lose valuable players we'd prefer to keep would ease off. So eg Lavia £50m, Che £15m, KWP £18m, ABK £25m out might mean we get to keep JWP, Tella and Tino? 

It's a nice thought anyway...

13 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I agree that KWP is a superb right back (better than as a left back in my opinion). Unfortunately he only has a year left on his contract, I really don't expect us to persuade him to extend, and we won't want him to leave on a free. So most likely he either leaves now or in January. 

There is definitely an argument for Tino playing on the right of midfield. He's confident with the ball at his feet, and made some memorable rampaging runs before his injury. He also doesn't seem to be pushing hard for a move. 

We would appear to have a good number of saleable assets within the squad (indicative of good players bought, but either don't fit in the team, or were poorly managed). You would think that if we made 3 or 4 big sales the pressure to lose valuable players we'd prefer to keep would ease off. So eg Lavia £50m, Che £15m, KWP £18m, ABK £25m out might mean we get to keep JWP, Tella and Tino? 

He has 2 years left I think.

22 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

KWP is a strange situation really. He's a player I'd love us to keep and yet we don't really have space in the squad for him as we have Tino and Bree at RB. At LB we now have Manning and we still have Larios and now Meghoma is in the reckoning (assuming Perraud leaves). Meanwhile he's one of our saleable assets that we could get decent money for and yet despite a bit of early interest from Newcastle there hasn't been much word of anything. I do think someone will eventually come in for him but I'd be quite happy if he stayed, it's just that at FB on both sides we are well stocked!

Manning being versatile is interesting though. I know Martin said he's here as a LB but with Diallo, JWP and Lavia all likely to leave, it's comforting to know we have another option at CM if we need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Not many YouTube highlights for Manning, just came across this new one which does have quite a lot of QPR highlights but gives an idea of the type of RB/RWB he is.

Left Back (or LWB) usually, but cheers 😉 He definitely looks useful and all comments from other Championship fans (and Swansea) in particular sound very positive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

Left Back (or LWB) usually, but cheers 😉 He definitely looks useful and all comments from other Championship fans (and Swansea) in particular sound very positive.

Had a mare there getting my lefts and rights mixed up! 🤦‍♂️

Always a good sign when other teams in your league seem jealous of a signing and if the PL interest was real we did well to land him.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Manning
  • 4 months later...

Not much controversy in saying his performances have not been as good as even he would probably own up to - up until recently. 

His defensive work as a full back judged vocally by supporters from the stands as inadequate - too often too far away from his player to stop crosses, shots, important passes. He was part of the group involved in being dispossessed in our own goal area and conceding needless goals early doors. The defensive group that every time a set piece came into our area it was chaos and we looked likely to concede. 

And his offensive work was largely ineffective. 

The tale that he was Russell’s favourite and that’s why he was picked became established and his name elicited groans not cheers when he was recalled to starting line up recently. 

Fast forward to last week and the return of Ryan as starting left back. 

I think, one obvious misplaced pass hiccup aside, that he has has had two decent matches in a row, indeed his last match was excellent. 

So what’s changed? 
Here’s my opinion.  Yours will differ no doubt. 

1. Team have got more capable in the possession based system. Movements on and off the ball enabling that to be done successfully hitherto having to be “remembered” from training ground are starting to become instinctive in players, and crucially, milliseconds faster. 

2. Ryan Manning was often supported in his defensive duties LH side by Sam Edozie and latterly Kameldeen Sulemana. Those two are our most mercurial talents (and Amo) but without disrespecting them, they have also not quite “got” the out-of-possession side of their jobs - yet. We may never know in that period wether RM told him to “sit in” defensively a bit more as James Bree was told and has done successfully. He may have ignored that instead persisting (unsuccessfully) in trying to show why he was one of the best fb’s in the league last year. 

My view is he (and Russell) are showing one of their attributes better now - football intelligence. Ryan is not KWP fast or skilful dribbling-wise - and he also realises he does not have AA running back at 100mph to support him either. And he has adapted intelligently.  Or listened to gaffer instructions (or both😃). 

3. Playing against better teams. LCFC and ITFC for example and teams seemed focused on our LH side. They saw a potential weakness in transition situations and exploited it. Which made him look most culpable more often. Works other way as well - playing against weaker teams like Bristol and Cardiff he was enabled to show what he’s got a bit more - and he did so. 

4. Playing without an obvious Left winger has benefited Ryan enormously. So obvious that he now has space ahead and the better protection in our midfield should he venture forward. 

I could go on with a much more detailed assessment but most of you won’t have read this far anyway! My last thoughts are that I am genuinely pleased that we are (finally) seeing the player I thought we were getting. Early doors yet though. His ability on assists crosses and general offensive play is very high at this level. He is a different player to KWP but I think he has got the potential to be as influential as him and get stronger and stronger in his current role - as long as we keep this formation/shape and he retains his football intelligence and discipline. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

He was excellent last weekend. I think he suffered as the rest of the team did, in a learning phase. We seem to have made big strides in the last few months tactically, look at how we've popping the ball around. We saw moments of it in the early stages of the season, but we got a big bump back to teh ground in those 4 games. It's a real shame we played Leicester and Ipswich at home so early in the season.

When all the players know their roles, and they pass and move and pass again constantly it makes all their jobs far easier. Not many teams could have dealt with us on Saturday, it's just a shame we haven't pummeled someone yet as that was a prime opportunity, especially if Arma got his third with that header.

It's all coming together, which is no surprise after such a turbulant few years, and learning a completely new way of playing. It takes time, and was never going to happen overnight. All the players are playing their part, and Manning is very much part of this side now. 

• Like 5

He played well Sat, but was fucking pony on Weds. 

That needs to be his performance level because until Sat we looked better defensively with Bree in the side. Fuck me, a lot of our defensive woes were down to him, one good game and people lose their memory. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He played well Sat, but was fucking pony on Weds. 

That needs to be his performance level because until Sat we looked better defensively with Bree in the side. Fuck me, a lot of our defensive woes were down to him, one good game and people lose their memory. 

Do they?  Interesting take on a balanced response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Ryan Manning