Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

sfc4prem

2 hours ago, BedfordshireSaint said:

Good morning ticket related question for anyone who can help. I was unable to collect them from St Mary’s and no email back from the ticket office. Will they be available to pick up from the ticket office at Carrow Road?

Yes you can get your ticket at the ground.  Happened to me last year.

45 minutes ago, northam soul said:

They are all on the piss tonight until 2.00am then a mad scramble to make the coach in the morning after a good fry up.

Huge cheers on the coach tomorrow morning at 11:15 as Harwood-Bellis stumbles on board wearing yesterday's untucked shirt and Tuxedo trousers. 

• Haha 3

On 30/12/2023 at 14:07, JRM said:

Had some great trips to Norwich over the years , as legs start to tire and 4th game in 10 days can see it being another game like this 

Or this 

Thanks JRM, what a good insert.  One of many classic matches v. Norwich which first date back to the 1950's when both sides played  in Division 3 (South).

Both moved progressively upwards over several decades, and until a while back ..were still playing each other in the Prem.

Interesting personnel in the Saints line-up included Neil Maddison (who came as a schoolboy from Darlington in 1984) shortly before another lad from the North-East

named SHEARER. (whatever happened to him ?) . Team also included Frannie Benali, and Jeff Kenna, a two-footed full back who kept Jason Dodd out of the reckoning

until he joined Shearer in the title-winning Blackburn side.   Le Tissier's hat-trick, (one of several he scored for Saints) is a good history lesson for those fans

too young to have seen him play, and this rare goal from Ken Monkou also guaranteed the three points that eventually helped Saints survive (despite MLT's 25 goals).  

These young players ...(and quite a few others) came through Dave Merrington's Youth project .. (long before the word Academy was introduced into the sport. 

Norwich goalie (on that day )was Bryan Gunn ( son Angus is ex Saints ) and current Norwich custodian , is like his father before him,  Scotland's goalkeeper.

On 30/12/2023 at 08:07, JRM said:

Had some great trips to Norwich over the years , as legs start to tire and 4th game in 10 days can see it being another game like this 

Or this 

OMG - that was an incredible day.  I was in the RAF at the time and based near Norwich.  My girlfriend (now wife of 25+ years) came to see me and we had a few pints in the great Norwich pubs and then THE game.  I remember when MOnkou scored there was an almighty bundle in the Saints end and everyone went flying and no-one could believe what had just happened.

Amazing day, incredible game and a joy to watch Le Tiss at his majestic best.  It really was a pleasure watching Bally's team for that short time period - attacking football, terrible defending but a team very together.

Not anticipating a classic tomorrow unlike that game.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, washsaint said:

OMG - that was an incredible day.  I was in the RAF at the time and based near Norwich.  My girlfriend (now wife of 25+ years) came to see me and we had a few pints in the great Norwich pubs and then THE game.  I remember when MOnkou scored there was an almighty bundle in the Saints end and everyone went flying and no-one could believe what had just happened.

Amazing day, incredible game and a joy to watch Le Tiss at his majestic best.  It really was a pleasure watching Bally's team for that short time period - attacking football, terrible defending but a team very together.

Not anticipating a classic tomorrow unlike that game.

I passed the Saints team coach on the M25 on the way back and it was literally bouncing up and down, so I think the players enjoyed it almost as much as I did!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, the boy from saints said:

Is there an away pub that most people generally meet up at pre-game?

The Compleat Angler is away fan friendly and right near the station. Not the best pub in the world but I’m sure you’ll find Saints fans there. 

Hard one to call this. A win would be huge but we haven’t been that convincing away from home. 1-1

• Like 1

Leicester and Leeds will both win today, Ipswich 50/50 away at Stoke got a feeling will be a draw, would be a shame after gaining ground to lose momentum with a loss today, I reckon 1-1. 

Tough game today, but I fancy us for a close win, and for Ipswich to draw. Would be great to be a point off Ipswich with better goal difference.

Also love that almost all the games have a 3.00 kick off on the same day. Nice. 

1 hour ago, Jack said:

The Compleat Angler is away fan friendly and right near the station. Not the best pub in the world but I’m sure you’ll find Saints fans there. 

Hard one to call this. A win would be huge but we haven’t been that convincing away from home. 1-1

Cheers Jack! We’ll go for that then! 

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Why not a new year's day resolution to kick the drink habit and watch the game sober. You never know you might actually enjoy it!

People do go to pub and don’t get drunk you sanctimonious prick

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

Is there a way to watch from the armchair today? Someone on FB said that it is available on iPlayer, but I can't find it.

Apparently you can buy a video pass for £10 via the club website. 

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

RM is very keen to shoe horn Stephens in as much as possible isn’t he?

1 minute ago, northam soul said:

Don’t agree with this Stephens at Full back bollox.

KWP is more of a threat for us at Full back and Stephens is not as good a RB as KWP.

Why Russ ?

Duly noted to re-quote these posts after Jack's upcoming MotM performance... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Duly noted to re-quote these posts after Jack's upcoming MotM performance... ;)

Sorry didn’t realise I couldn’t express an opinion on here.

Maybe you could just explain why you think my opinion is wrong.

Edited by northam soul
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Sorry didn’t realise I couldn’t express an opinion on here.

Sorry, didn't realise I couldn't post a light hearted tongue-in-cheek post on here... <Insert another winky emoji here>

:)

(Fwiw, I also feel there's an element of 'shoehorning' occuring here, but if it ends up working then all's well and good)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - NYD 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic