Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

sfc4prem

Just now, Saint NL said:

Half time 

Not the best performance of late, but in a good position to win this.

It was bad, allowing them break after break hopefully we don't pay the price! 

2 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

I'm not watching. Just following all you good chaps on here and Twitter. Bit tiresome seeing constant criticisms of the same old players, game in game out.

I’d take it for red that it’s probably largely accurate what those are saying about Manning

• Like 2

It's an obvious change for me. Adams on for Stephens and KWP back to RB where he is best. Arma back to the right hand side, where he is best. 

Let's get the players in their best positions please, Russell.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

I'm not watching. Just following all you good chaps on here and Twitter. Bit tiresome seeing constant criticisms of the same old players, game in game out.

Okay, let me explain. Basically every single time Norwich get the ball in the central midfield area, their player looks up (or doesn't every time thankfully). And out far on the right wing in acres of space is Stacey. Every time he is there and free. Where is manning you might ask? Marking no one and about 20yards away from him.

Maybe he's been told to do that, but whatever it is, its Norwich's most likely route to getting a goal.

Also, i think Stacey should have seen red for his tackle, so what i absolutely do not want is us to concede a goal to a diagonal pass out to stacey, to then assist a goal, and us lose 1-0.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, SaintNewForest said:

Then, with the best will in the world, maybe you should trust the word of those who are watching instead of sniping.

Manning's defending is utterly diabolical. he simply isn't, and never will be, a defender.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Pretty much anyone else in the team scores that 😂

Really good move though.

WTF are you on about?  That was a really sweet attempt.

There really are a good number of whining, self-entitled babies on this forum - Saints are well on top and will have to be patient.  Manning has played OK, Stephens has played OK but the forum experts have to have their whipping boys.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Plenty of possession. Norwich defending deep. Saints getting some good balls into the penalty area but nobody able to profit - apart from Stephens who managed to find the woodwork from a good opening.

Norwich look dangerous on the break. Loads of space for them down Saints left and Deliah's crew probably had the better openings.

That tackle on Edozie probably deserved a red card.

• Like 1

One benefit of having Jack on the pitch is we have 3 really good headers of the ball: So better to defend set pieces (a likely scoring avenue for Norwich). But also better to attack corners, which we are likely to have loads of. 

Hopefully KWP can learn to be effective in a more advanced position if we are going to continue playing this set up.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Then, with the best will in the world, maybe you should trust the word of those who are watching instead of sniping.

Manning's defending is utterly diabolical. he simply isn't, and never will be, a defender.

It's a shame he can't defend because he's actually got a really good left foot on him.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

If he's so set on playing him I don't get why we don't play Stephens and KWP at left and right back (either way round) and put Manning further forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Chuck Adams and Alcaraz on and have a few shots at goal this half. Don’t try and walk it in.

Shoot on sight and rile Norwich up a bit more.

I'd prefer Mara to Che.

Agreed though: need a couple of changes.

There wasn;t a lot on there, but KWP in his new role takes far too long with the ball at times. That time, coming out of our own defence.

Frustrating from us. Loads of possession. Not as many nearly moments. Not enough efforts on goal. Certainly not enough dangerous ones.

They soaked it up for 20 mins. Having watched our previous games, they['ve seen that 1) We can run out of ideas early on, with our passing, and our temp drops 2) we will always leave massive gaps with Manning on the park. We've decided to push KWP even further forward, supported by Stephens. KWP is skillful, gets lots of touches and is very mobile. Bu, considering the output, it's just as dribbly and indirect as Edozie on the other side. We're better with someone more direct to balance out the flanks. If KWP is looking to dribble all the time, then Fraser needs to be the direct, driving one.

Norwich had an offside and a couple of decent counters. But nothing on target in the end. We were a bit disjointed defending them. Aribo not looking as mobile today, and seems to be the one who's supposed to be filling some of the gaps.

1 minute ago, washsaint said:

There really are a good number of whining, self-entitled babies on this forum - Saints are well on top and will have to be patient.  Manning has played OK, Stephens has played OK but the forum experts have to have their whipping boys.

Maybe you should pay better attention, I'm one of the only people on here defending the performance today, I think it's been pretty good.

But Stephens should have got that chance on target no doubt, completely unchallenged and set up perfectly with a slow moving pass on the ground on the edge of the box.

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

It's a shame he can't defend because he's actually got a really good left foot on him.

Yeah he does. He did a lovely little take, turn, and low cross into the box earlier. But we've got some of the best wingers / attackers in the league who can do that job - what we need is a reliable defensive LB first and foremost.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

we've dominated, again.  Norwich have had two breakaways and that's it.  Not sure why there is so much criticism.

Personally, Im fine with Stephens at right back. It means KWP can attack with little concern about the holes he leaves. Jack has done OK. He hasn't been exposed at all. We look pretty solid and he adds some height fo set pieces. 

Going forward, we have got behind them a couple of times. On the odd occasion I think we missed having a target man as the crossing has been decent but AA lacks that size. 

Hopefull.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Really don’t like this formation. It turns into a 3 at the back and our wings just get massively exposed. Manning looks like he doesn’t understand the concept of playing left back. Also don’t think the positional switch suits KWP, it nullifies him.

It really looks like Stephens has been shoe-horned in and it has upset the balance of the team.   Alcaraz needs to come on for Stephens, KWP to RB.    Though AA is having a good game, his partnership with Adams worked well recently.     Norwich dangerous on the counter and have acres of space when Manning is so narrow.    Glad there isn't a VAR, but if there was, Stacey would have received a straight red card for that awful challenge on Edozie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

To be fair I’m not watching on a stream today but when watching on sky on Friday some of the comments about our apparent poor play in the first half had no resemblance to what I was seeing, which imo was pretty good play.

• Like 1

Bunch of whinging tarts on here.

71% possession to their 29% 

10 shots to their 3

1 on target to their 0

8 corners to their 0

…away to a perfectly respectable mid-table side. 

Reading the comments on here you’d think we were getting murdered. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

KWP prospers down that RW because he often is overlapping or underlapping.

So he’s the one that plays the accurate final ball in.

He has no real support given that Stephens isn’t as mobile in terms of getting forward and back again.

Stephen’s is a dominant header of the ball. Great. Lump him up top, he’ll probably get on the end of more than Che Adams.

4 minutes ago, washsaint said:

What are you on about? He was in acres of space. A simple touch and turn inside would have opened up the entire goal to shoot at - 2 touches and a goal. No one is knocking Stephens, he did the best he could, but he's a cb playing at the expense of a more attacking player and that is probably a prime example of where that trade off doesn't work. Norwich are parking the bus, we don't need 5 defenders on the pitch.... How is that being turned into a "whipping boys" debate?!

And as for "whipping boys" and specifically Manning - you have to be being deliberately obtuse if you're happy with how we're defending our left wing? Its completely unnecessary and leaving us wide open. Either thats on Manning (in which case i'd expect Martin to be sorting it at halftime), or its on Martin (and i hope he changes it). Manning hasn't done anything else wrong - people are just rightly concerned that we've got 5 defenders on the pitch and yet no left back every time Norwich counter! God forbid fans aren't happy about that...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Bunch of whinging tarts on here.

71% possession to their 29% 

10 shots to their 3

1 on target to their 0

8 corners to their 0

…away to a perfectly respectable mid-table side. 

Reading the comments on here you’d think we were getting murdered. 

Goals matter. Not the amount of bloody attempts. 😂

If Bednarek isn't injured and he gets dropped for Stephens then Martin is a clown.

Especially as KWP now needs to come off and we're going to need to move Stephens back out there and play Charles at CB...

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - NYD 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic