Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

sfc4prem

So onto a tough away fixture at Carrow Road.

Can we keep the unbeaten run going? Will Downes be back? Will Arma get back on the score sheet? Can we keep out the likes of Sara and Rowe?

Should be a really interesting game. They score quite a few but concede regularly too. I had this down as the one that could end our unbeaten run, but confidence is brimming now.

A win would be fantastic, although I think after our recent run of wins we've built up enough credit to walk away happy with a draw.

They are very inconsistent. Had a terrible October and a 4 game losing streak, but turned that around before losing the last 2.

3 wins in their last 4 home games albeit against teams down the bottom of the league.

Of the last 7 games at Carrow Road we have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3 which isn't great but also not terrible.

We gifted them goals in the 4-4 draw at home. Our play has come on by leaps and bounds both attacking and defensively since then. They seem to have stagnated.

So, on paper a high scoring away win.

But if any team is setup to exploit us at the back it's Norwich and everyone is going to be tired at the end of the festive period. So a lukewarm draw is also a possibility.

And, our run has to end sometime. I'm still struggling with this new feeling of being excited about the next game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coalman said:

our run has to end sometime

Indeed; I think we'd probably all agree that it's highly unlikely that we'll go through the remainder of the season without having one or two more defeats, and away to Norwich is the sort of game one could see us potentially tripping up over... 

That said, I reckon this'll be another relatively high scoring draw; so 2-2 for me.

Edited by trousers

I see this as one of a few games that are a banana skin during the rest of the season along with the below sort of games, West Brom, Leeds, Leicester, Birmingham, Blackburn and even Cardiff. On paper some of these are obvious but the others are teams that I see as tricky and traditionally hard away games. Saying this we will probably win all the about and lose at home to Sheffield Wednesday, Millwall and Huddersfield. 

2-2 New Year’s Day 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

Definitely want to see Stu, Downes and Aribo back in the XI for this. Not sure when Bree is supposed to be fit? I’d have him back in the side over Manning all day long. 

Norwixh have lost the last 2 and the locals are fed up with the manager and hierarchy. Great chance to pick up a rare win at Carrow Road but if I had to bet I’d probably call a score draw

One of the toughest away games, I see it similar to the Watford game. Some good players in their team, but not a particularly 'good' team. Lots and lots and lots of criticism of their manager as well, I think 90% of their fan base want shot of him. It's not a happy place at the moment, so I hope we can take advantage of that.

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

On paper it's a tough game, but looking at their forum, they are not happy at all.

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/154951-southampton-predictions/

Get an early goal and it could get quite restless amongst the locals.

2-0 away win I'll go for.

I'd take the entertaining 6-5 win that one of their posters was advocating.

48 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

On paper it's a tough game, but looking at their forum, they are not happy at all.

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/154951-southampton-predictions/

Get an early goal and it could get quite restless amongst the locals.

2-0 away win I'll go for.

They sound resigned to defeat. That’s Saints cue to not play well, traditionally.
Under RM we certainly have been breaking traditions ( we are crap at SMS, PB football is the way to go, 16/17 league games unbeaten) so lets hope for more tradition breaking then- because Norwich away always gives me the goosebumps. Can be ANY score- as long term supporters know full well! 

Basically for every single pre match for as long as this run goes on we'll have people on here saying "we're doing well, we're unbeaten in X games....everything going great....know what that means.......typical Saints we'll lose"

Maybe we'll keep the run going.

3-1 win we'll fucking annihilate them just like we do every team these days.

• Like 1

As I said before the Plymouth game, I didn't want to hear any moaning or negativity, we're on an exceptional run of form, and our squad is superb. We have brilliant players in our starting XI and on our bench, and are more than capable of dispatching most teams in this league with ease.

Instead of a 'with that said...' caveat, I'm doubling down and predicting another convincing display. We'll be 1-0 up by half time. After a little spell under the cosh, we'll get back on top in the second half and secure a 4-1 win. Easy.

6 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

So onto a tough away fixture at Carrow Road.

Can we keep the unbeaten run going? Will Downes be back? Will Arma get back on the score sheet? Can we keep out the likes of Sara and Rowe?

Should be a really interesting game. They score quite a few but concede regularly too. I had this down as the one that could end our unbeaten run, but confidence is brimming now.

Read a Norwich fan say they are shit and expect Wagner to park the bus.

Another win, we roll on 8-2

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

A game where I'd expect us to have improved since our last encounter with them. We're more solid at the back, and our attaking form of late should get us into an early lead. If we take our time to get in front, they may get a couple of counter attacks as we over commit. But I'd expect us to be holding onto to a comfortable 2-0 win. 

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A game where I'd expect us to have improved since our last encounter with them. We're more solid at the back, and our attaking form of late should get us into an early lead. If we take our time to get in front, they may get a couple of counter attacks as we over commit. But I'd expect us to be holding onto to a comfortable 2-0 win. 

Our defending for the 4-4 draw earlier this season was poor, kept leaving so much space for them to counter attack into, we've changed a lot since then. Hope Downes is back need him for this one. 

Not seen much of them but thought Norwich looked decent in their game away at Ipswich recently. 

Have they made many changes across the three Christmas period games so far? 

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

Our defending for the 4-4 draw earlier this season was poor, kept leaving so much space for them to counter attack into, we've changed a lot since then. Hope Downes is back need him for this one. 

Not seen much of them but thought Norwich looked decent in their game away at Ipswich recently. 

Have they made many changes across the three Christmas period games so far? 

Sargent is about back, which will give them a bit more going forward. That's not a bad thing for us. The more they want to go forward, and they do often at the beginning of games, the more we'll get to stamp our improved possession system on proceedings.

They can be very hit and miss, depending on the style they come up against. Some games definitely suit their manager's ideas more than others. We're actually one of those. Ipswich were another. But we've got resources and squad depth they really shouldn't be matching. We've made clear progress with those, and have the confidence of our unbeaten run.

They got a good draw against Ipswich, got bullied by Millwall (Aribo and Che options for us haivng some physical presence, with Bednarek and THB being solid at the back). They gopt a red card in the first half against WBA. But the game was already going very much in WBA's favour even then.

Hanley's about back too in their defence. If we're lucky, we'll face a Hanley and Duffy back two, with our passing giving them no chance. Downes will be a miss for us, but we should still have enough to be controlling the game.

I’ll be honest, I’ll take a draw - if we come away from here unbeaten we’ll be surely breaking our all-time record in a couple of weeks which, quite frankly, would be an amazing achievement.

That said, we’re good enough to win and I think we probably will. Depending on what was/is up with Downes we should be able to significantly freshen up midfield and possibly change one or two up top. I think Charlie deserves to keep his place and shouldn’t be too tired.

KWP looked utterly knackered at the end of yesterday but will hopefully recover by Monday and can have a rest next week.

I’d personally like

Bazunu

KWP THB Bednarek Manning

Aribo Downes Stu

ArmA Charlie Edozie

Shea or Smallbone for Downes if not available.

• Like 1

The wife (and her whole family) are Norwich fans and are all revelling in the fact they could be the ones to derail our unbeaten run. They certainly have some decent players, I think a draw wouldn't be a bad result here. But sod it, let's predict a win. 2-1 to Saints. 

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Seems Downes is out for a while at least until after the Walsall game.

Seeing nutritionist no uncooked foods would help.

What's that all about? He must have an intolerance to something to keep being ill. been a key player in this unbeaten run especially in away games, we missed him at Watford/ Coventry. 

Downes would be a big miss. He is even more important in away games. Wasn’t overally impressed by Shea Charles v Plymouth. I’d probably take a draw - but that’s mainly because I’m getting excited by this unbeaten run record thingy. Which is a bit bloody stupid really.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - NYD 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic