Saints 5-3 Huddersfield - Match Thread

goodymatt

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Wow, what a game today! First half we were not on our normal level, too many misplaced passes and our rhythm was not quite there. Second half was incredible, all the subs made a big impact:

Rothwell - two wonder goals. The first in particular was world class ๐Ÿ˜Š a thing of beauty.ย 

Brooks - class when he came on and got two assists. A level above ๐Ÿ˜Š

Mara - is developing nicely all the time. His impact today was so good ๐Ÿ˜Š Strong and quick. A smart finish and assist for Edozie.

Edozie - great impact today and a nice finish for his goal ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sulemana - so exciting to watch ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

All in all a great afternoon and character from us to come from behind twice and win comfortably ๐Ÿ˜Š the unbeaten run continues! Get in - COYR ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hoping Downes injury isn't serious, he such a class player and a vital part of the side.

Agree except your nonsensical comment about Brooks. He was never in the game today.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On Bazunu, definitely not at fault for the 3rd goal - itโ€™s just a nightmare deflection. However, maybe at fault for the 1st?

Not dissing him though - his distribution is incredible (heโ€™s basically a sweeper with the right to wear gloves).

ย 

ย 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Agree except your nonsensical comment about Brooks. He was never in the game today.

Thank god you've posted this, it might go down even worse than my Bazunu post ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

(Sorry if this was covered earlier in the thread)

What's the verdict on our penalty claims? Anyone seen replays?

Handball in their area first half?

Did Adam Armstrong dive?

Did the ref play advantage when their defender handled the ball on the ground before we scored.... or just not see it?

There were a fair few penalty shouts, but the ref wasn't interested in any of them.ย 

Handball after Fraser flicked it over him looked clear on replay but can see why ref didn't see it.

Manning's was an obvious dive. Idiot.

KWP was lucky not to concede one. Could have been given.

Brooks was blatantly pushed over - should have been given.

Hudds player on the deck clearly handled it before Mara teed up Edozie for the fifth. I can only assume the ref played the advantage, because if he missed that then he has no business being a professional referee.ย 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Anyone who booed at half time should be utterly embarrassed with themselves. Hope they left at 3-2.

Unbelievable game of football. Can't remember anything like that at SMS for a long time. I'll be shocked if we don't get promoted.

There were some right miserable bastards wallowing in despair near me first half, obviously turned up expecting comfortable win and couldn't handle it not going to plan.ย 

Fair play to Huddersfield, thought they were excellent at times and definitely approached the game in the right way to cause us problems,ย  first half was a good reminder of some of our weaknesses.ย 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Mad game, Hudds outplayed us first half. Baz should do better for the first. Great impact by Rothwell and Brooks, Mara has gained confidence from the cup games and taken that into the league. Very rare that you see 4 second half goals for one team all scored by subs!

Hope Flynn ok, been immense for this run. Ashton Gate tricky trip Tuesday night with WBA Friday night but we have the squad depth to rotate and still be very competitive.

That's two really tough away games in a row, the undefeated run will come under real pressure I think, Bristol City capable of raising their game like recent cup matches v West Ham and Forest.ย 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why is it wrong to boo? Huddersfield were great but we were also poor and not up to the standards we are capable of. The players responded second half and gave us something to cheer.ย 

Fucking load of entitled pricks booing because we happened to be losing a game at half-time. ย Fucking wankers.

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Golden brown, texture like sun
Lays me down, with my mind she runs
Throughout the night
No need to fight
Never a frown with golden brown

I thought your Yorkshire cousins were one of the best sides we have played this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking load of entitled pricks booing because we happened to be losing a game at half-time. ย Fucking wankers.

Personally I think the team have high standards and hopefully are self critical enough to think that they deserved some boos and used it as motivation to turn things around in the second half.ย 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The one in the first half was down our end so could see it quite clearly. It probably should have been given.

No idea about Manning because it was up the other end but the consensus seems to be a poor effort at a dive.

Thanks.ย  Should have said Manning!ย 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I think the team have high standards and hopefully are self critical enough to think that they deserved some boos and used it as motivation to turn things around in the second half.ย 

FFS those cunts that booed should not bother going to games. Everyone was frustrated but booing shows them to be pathetic wankers and probably only at the game because we are doing well.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's scored a lot this season and far out performed most expectations but could so easily have 5-7 more goals.

The training ground corner in the first half was also worked well until he ballooned the shot into the back row of the Northam.

Agree. It is his birthday today and the official site had a montage of his goals - some absolute crackers there. Show me a striker who doesn't miss chances - they don't exist. Arma is contributing his share of goals and assists so let's not be critical of a few misses.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, whelk said:

FFS those cunts that booed should not bother going to games. Everyone was frustrated but booing shows them to be pathetic wankers and probably only at the game because we are doing well.

Yep. Fair enough it was frustrating to see us 2 down and being a bit second best all over, but booing is fickle and entitled. Thankfully the team quickly turned it round and Rusty commented how good it was that the majority of fans stayed behind the team and credited their support with helping them get back in it. Frustration is fine, booing makes you a bit of a dopey twat.

• Like 6

On 10/02/2024 at 20:37, Wade Garrett said:

I thought your Yorkshire cousins were one of the best sides we have played this season.

You are a gracious man WG.

Lots of whippets with tails between tha legs tonight.ย 

Ei ei ei o ...

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

Highlights are available here (worth watching just for the kid in the crowds reaction when Hudds go 2-0 up!)

WHilst Baz should have done better for the first goal, it does bounce right in front of his hand and goes past quickly.ย  The replays, particularly from behind the goal, show this

ย 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah, I kind of agree. There is a differece between booing the score and the performance. Rothwell even said after the game that we were were nowhere near it first half, and allways half a yard off.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I booed at half time, and cheered at full time. And my critique clearly worked. Thank me later ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

I'm glad the booing sparked a reaction from the team. Well done to the boo boys.ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Morse said:

I booed at half time, and cheered at full time. And my critique clearly worked. Thank me later ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Itโ€™s ok to admit you are a whinging cunt.ย 

• Haha 3

That was a crazy game on so many levels. Really great second half, first half as poor as we've been all season. The strength of our bench saved us today. Ridiculously strong for this level. Must admit at half time I didn't think we'd turn it round, but the two quick goals just after got the belief going. Even after their third goal, you could still sense we were going to get something from the game. Just felt we had no control in the game. I think they surprised us with the way they played, fair play to them. Ref was absolutely hopeless, fell for all the play acting, and missed a couple of nasty challenges by them. At least it was 5-3 instead of 4-3 for those 13 minutes.

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

Whelk didn't have the guts to boo. He just sat there at half time and took that rubbish performance. Like a pussy. If the stadium was full of whelks then the team would have carried on with that turgid rubbish and we would have lost. The boo boys have saved our unbeaten record.ย 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I hate those people one minute love the saints love our team the next heโ€™s a see you next Tuesday eff off you useless so and so. Heโ€™s so shite etc etc etc.

When the going gets tough what do these heroes do? They turn on the team. Pathetic Wastes of space.ย 

This thing about shouting out loud how shit your own player/ team is and indeed itโ€™s an art form on this forum slagging off RM and team early season Iโ€™d never at experienced much before.ย Sign of the times I guess. People gettin angry. Societal frustration finds its flashpoint on match days I guess.ย 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JRM said:

There were some right miserable bastards wallowing in despair near me first half, obviously turned up expecting comfortable win and couldn't handle it not going to plan.ย 

Fair play to Huddersfield, thought they were excellent at times and definitely approached the game in the right way to cause us problems,ย  first half was a good reminder of some of our weaknesses.ย 

Same. WTF is wrong with some people. Everyone could see we were half a yard off it in the first half. But the answer is to support the team, not to tell lads whoโ€™ve put together a 25 game undefeated run that theyโ€™re shocking or shite. Grow a pair.ย 

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

I seem to recall a 6-3 at home against Luton when we went behind. I believe it was the late 1980s.

Can't ever remember see us score five in a half. Atmosphere in Northam in second half was magical.

Timings of subs from RM were excellent. Sule flattered to deceive as always and maybe Mara is nudging ahead of Che is the striker stakes. Just read through the thread's pages and someone said Mara seems to have been in the gym or somethingย  because he seems a lot stronger. I agree. A great cameo, held off defenders and maybe just maybe he could turn out to be the striker we're crying out for.

• Like 1

Tbf I thought their goals were pretty decent. We go up and play the big guns we would be hammered in that 1st half.ย 

We came back, the game is 90 minutes plus when we get back to the promise land another 10 or 15.ย 

I canโ€™t get to as many games as I want these days, (youngest plays Sat 3pm) but disappointed with reaction at half time. But everyone is entitled to their opinion because of the run we are on.

It will come to an end at some point, but f&!k me, give it 90 plus additional.

ย 

ย 

ย 

3 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Can't ever remember see us score five in a half. Atmosphere in Northam in second half was magical.

Timings of subs from RM were excellent. Sule flattered to deceive as always and maybe Mara is nudging ahead of Che is the striker stakes. Just read through the thread's pages and someone said Mara seems to have been in the gym or somethingย  because he seems a lot stronger. I agree. A great cameo, held off defenders and maybe just maybe he could turn out to be the striker we're crying out for.

Bit harsh on Sule. He's just come back from a lengthy injury absence. Thought he did OK when he came on. Gave their defence something to worry about with his pace.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Appy said:

Apart from his two assists?

ย 

59 minutes ago, maysie said:

He set up 2 goals you lunatic.

ย 

56 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Thank god you've posted this, it might go down even worse than my Bazunu post ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

48 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

The guy with two assists?

The point just wooshed right over your headโ€ what does this mean? - Quora

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Same. WTF is wrong with some people. Everyone could see we were half a yard off it in the first half. But the answer is to support the team, not to tell lads whoโ€™ve put together a 25 game undefeated run that theyโ€™re shocking or shite. Grow a pair.ย 

Makes you wonder what will happen when we finally lose a match. Calls for Martin to be sacked? It is truly bizarre after the run we have been on. How anyone thinks that slagging your team off lifts morale is deluded. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, which you would imagine Martin gave them at half time (as opposed to the โ€œmetaphorical booingโ€ as suggested by a poster earlier). It is the sign of a good side when they pick up three points after a less than stellar performance. This is a team worth getting behind and that doesnโ€™t mean booing when they go in two down at half time.

As for the goals. I thought the first one took a bit of a deflection. He had no chance with the second and it is very harsh to expect him to save the third.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

I seem to recall a 6-3 at home against Luton when we went behind. I believe it was the late 1980s.

Yes it was the 89/90 season. I was there for it. we didnโ€™t go behind though was a bit more straight forward than today

ย 

Can anyone remember us scoring 5 goals in a half of football before? Maybe the Sunderland 8-0?
ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Big physical niggly side Huddersfield and they matched us for fitness and bullied us first half. Manning might have well been replaced by a hatstand, positional sense of Mark Thatcher. KWP and Bazunu both looked a bit out of sorts as did Fraser and Armstrong. Not sure what big Russ put in the halftime tea, but that ten minutes or so after half time was like a fucking blitzkrieg - a remarkable spell in a remarkable season. Rothwell is a class act and a very strong player, a couple of touches from Brooks were on another level, deft and decisive - rare. Edozie a right handful and Mara looking like a proper centre forward, the angle for his goal would have done for Adams, Iโ€™d start him v Bristol. ย Sulemana is mad as a box of frogs but a joy to watch as he terrorises oppo defenders. That felt like the old McMenemy you score four weโ€™ll score five days! 25 unbeaten, remarkable.ย 

• Like 5

I notice people saying that we've had this long run, but we've not played anyone decent etc etc.

During this run...

Southampton 3 - 1 Leeds United

Southampton 2 - 1 - WBA

Coventry 1 - 1 Southampton

Hull City 1 - 2 Southampton

Norwich 1 - 1 Southampton

Watford 1 - 1 Southampton

Millwall 0 - 1 Southampton

I'd say the above are a pretty tricky bunch of games in any season, and they've all been part of the run. Not sure why some neutrals are trying to down play it by saying we have a tough run coming up. That tough run includes Millwall, Bristol City, WBA, Hull - we have already beaten all 4.

• Like 6