Biggest personal overreaction to a defeat?

whelk

I should be used to it  but it annoys me how much a defeat still impacts my mood when I should know better. I remember Echo headline when we got relegated a while back that there had been rise in domestic violence at same time and was linked.  Whilst I have never ever hit the missus I do probably take it out on the family in terms of mood. Also I can’t be arsed to talk about it too much in post match analysis either - a form of denial perhaps? 

So wondered what others’ reactions are, or have been? Eg taking a heroin overdose, ripping up season ticket (cue photo), having a pet put down, sacking a rival supporter

I like to post on here after the game to sprinkle some passive-ag "I told you so" type comments, in the hope that amongst the interminable landfill of my internet waffle and utter waste of bandwidth, nobody can really be bothered to sift through all the dross of my posting history and find the receipts where I was confidently talking utter shite.

It's highly therapeutic and I strongly recommend you all try it at some point in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't get annoyed by a loss anymore as I've seen so many.

One that sticks out in my mind was a 1-0 home loss to Spurs at the Dell. I was so pissed off I went home and started kicking inanimate objects, unaware that the in laws had popped over. They made a hasty exit so it actually worked out quite well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Depends where I am. Last night, didn't go to the game, so it was shouting and swearing in the kitchen at the final whistle. Que the usual responses from my wife stating that they don't care anyway and that they are only interested in bank balances. Not being a fan she finds it difficult to understand how emotional football can get you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thesaint sfc said:

The Leeds game when we scored 3-0 and lost 3-4.  19 November 2005. More painful than child birth (probably.)

I tend to concur.... having been sat in Itchen corner (right on the divide with the away fans), and having spent the first 45min giving abuse to a morbidly obese and shirtless father-son combo... and then having to put up with them coming out second half, chanting "leeds leeds leeds" and "come on you yellows" (they were playing in blue) whilst they were swigning their shirts around their heads still 3-0 down, and then ultimately giving us back the banter by the bucket loads when they scored the 4th... A grim grim day indeed.

Pretty sure i also threw an old tv set on the floor following one of the Portugal tournament exits... probably the one with the testicular stamping incident... have mellowed since those days 🙈😄

Also, when i was really little, i think i cried after the tranmere cup exit. Something about 4-3s i guess...

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I don't get too down after a defeat, just as I don't get too excited when we win.  It's all about perspective,  I'll look back at the game, analyse it, learn any lessons that need to be learnt and then move on.

A lesson to us all, Mr Martin. 🙂

I vent on here. By the time I'm a couple of words in, that perspective has kicked in and shapes the posts.

18 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A lesson to us all, Mr Martin. 🙂

I vent on here. By the time I'm a couple of words in, that perspective has kicked in and shapes the posts.

I'm so so proud of that reply, and it's a great reply.  The bravery, wow, it just blows me away and as a reader that's really all I can ask.  

• Haha 3

I've never actually done it, but there's been numerous occasions after a defeat where I've wanted to kick a cute, fluffy, animal up the arse.

I'm 46 next month and have no idea why my wellbeing can be so easily impacted by a load of strangers kicking a ball around.  It's absolutely mental.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

I'm still not over the Sunderland FA Cup game in 2014. 

I always say, we would’ve won it that year if we’d bothered. Hull away after that and Sheffield United in the semi, us pissing that away goes under the radar massively. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Appy said:

I always say, we would’ve won it that year if we’d bothered. Hull away after that and Sheffield United in the semi, us pissing that away goes under the radar massively. 

I stuck money on us to win the cup that year after our impressive first half of the season. 

I'm pretty sure Pochettino sent his assistant out to do all the post match stuff which says how little he thought of the FA Cup. 

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I've never actually done it, but there's been numerous occasions after a defeat where I've wanted to kick a cute, fluffy, animal up the arse.

I'm 46 next month and have no idea why my wellbeing can be so easily impacted by a load of strangers kicking a ball around.  It's absolutely mental.

That's exactly it. Why does football matter so much? It's just a game at the end of the day, but it somehow has the power to make rational people want to kick anything in sight. Truly baffling.

• Haha 1

Coventry in around 1978, my first season as a regular fan, Lawrie McMenemy the manager, I was a schoolboy. I took at is read that we won at home a lost away, I was very happy with that arrangement ....... until ----- we  lost 3 - 2 at home  , I think it was a last minute winner from Ian Wallace,  a striker with ginger frizzy hair, which I also took exception to.  Just to make it worse I was stood behind the goal in the Milton Rd when he banged it in, I still hate him for it, how dare he?  I left the ground with the same feeling  you get when someone very close has died.  

1995 league cup replay game vs Spurs at the dell. I worked with a bunch of lads who were spurs fans and we raced into a 2-0 lead and with more chances to before the half. The dell was buzzing and we were cruising. Ronnie Rosenthal came off the bench and fired in 2 second half goals. We went to shit in ET and lost 2-6 by the end. Got pelters from the spurs lads for the rest of my time there and still mad about it now!!

• Like 1

After a defeat, I do not endorse the punching of parrots. Despite threats, my parents 2 African Greys are still living. 

The BC game last week still rankles. For the first time after the Huddersfield game I finally changed my tune and thought... wow this team is really good. It'll take some stopping us now, our attack is immense, up there with Leeds. Then we got spanked 3 nothing. Generally though after a defeat I just cut myself off from all sports media for a few days. I don't remember feeling genuinely angry though, although the United cup final defeat was painful as we were so close to that trophy.

23 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

David Norris. I felt my soul leave my body.

This was gutting - though I didn’t lose the plot, just remember walking numbly out of the ground, around the industrial estate and home, not muttering a word in disbelief.

27 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

I remember sobbing uncontrollably on the stairs at home in South Wonston when we went out to Anderlecht in the Cup Winners' Cup in March 1977. I was 9. 

Same with this one...

• Like 1

Sunderland away in the cup. 2014 or so. Never been so fucking angry as we should have won it that year. It was on my birthday too and ruined the entire weekend up in Newcastle. Still gets to me now when I think about it 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Same with this one...

Funny story behind that one. For some reason I hadn't realised we were a/playing and b/on sky that night. Got a text message from a pal at H/T alerting me to both facts and also the fact we were 0-3 up and cruising to victory. Merrily put it on,cracked open a beer and sat back........................

• Haha 1

In the early 70’s I remember George Best terrorising us a The Dell. This was featured on MOTD with all the arselicking commentary.

Showed a clip of him holding has hand up after one of his goals, and that was enough. I hurled a sandwich at the screen yelling an obscenity. Parents not impressed. My Dad had a ‘word’ , and got to say never considered doing it again.

Proper parenting in them days. 

The beautiful thing about being a saints fan is we lost so often, loss was our comfort blanket like stockholm syndrome.

Russ came in and started with some familiar comedy defeats, all was well in the world.

Then he goes and gets peoples hopes up with an ilconcieved 25 game unbeaten streak getting us to 2nd, making history, but the downside as people are realising is that our hopes have now got futher to fall.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

You know that you can delete comments at anytime ? 

Somethings are best keeping to yourself 😆

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

David Norris. I felt my soul leave my body.

Imagine being allocated a seat in error by the ticket office. In the northam, in-between the police line and the black netting .. no one else above me, below me just coppers on my right and all those twats on my left. 

34 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Imagine being allocated a seat in error by the ticket office. In the northam, in-between the police line and the black netting .. no one else above me, below me just coppers on my right and all those twats on my left. 

According to Dante there are nine circles of hell. I make this number seven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Highbury 1984, and that midget runt Heath.

Hated Everton ever since. ( if I didn’t before). 

There was a lot of afters in real time that day - frustration release across north London. Never seen so many scousers morph from Yosser to Cilla Black so quickly. 

The 4-1 Pompey game at SMS in the cup is probably mine. Went on a 5 day drink and drug bender by the end of which I was poor unemployed and single. 

Very rarely get too upset after defeats these days. Was even a bit meh after the 9-0's.

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, adrian lord said:

I remember sobbing uncontrollably on the stairs at home in South Wonston when we went out to Anderlecht in the Cup Winners' Cup in March 1977. I was 9. 

same for me in 1984, listening to the semi final on the radio, then again later that year when we went out of the UEFA cup to Hamburg, then again the season after when we lost against Liverpool in the FA Cup semi final, also after extra time. I would have been 7 in 1984 and 9 in 1986. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

According to Dante there are nine circles of hell. I make this number seven.

To be fair I quite enjoyed it and can see myself easily on footage. The police kept having quiet words with me especially when I unzipped my trousers on our second goal and invited them to  suck me off. Fortunately I stopped before I dropped my pants. When Norris scored I got shit big time but to be fair it was fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

same for me in 1984, listening to the semi final on the radio, then again later that year when we went out of the UEFA cup to Hamburg, then again the season after when we lost against Liverpool in the FA Cup semi final, also after extra time. I would have been 7 in 1984 and 9 in 1986. 

But did you cry when we beat Liverpool?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

In my youth I did smash the TV screen with one punch, planting one on the referee for a defeat. I never did see the girl I watched the game with again. Strange that. 

That's reminded me of the time I threw the remote at the wall and smashed it when Michael Bridges scored a late winner for Leeds against us at Elland Road. I wasn't very popular with my other half for a while after that.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The Derby playoff semi final hit me particularly hard, don't think I went back to work that week. I guess I just knew that it was shit our bust for us that year, and the future was going to be pretty bleak.

That was a horrible evening all round. I was especially annoyed by those Derby fans who were allowed onto the pitch at the end just to stand there and goad us.