Birmingham City 3-4 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

23 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Thank goodness for that. Aribo the saviour. Could be a huge momentum-turner. I was so close to a 'that's it we're in the Championship for at least another season post'...

So what did we learn (again)?

1. The mandate to play everything out of the back is suicidal obstinacy by RM. It makes us 100% predictable and every opposition manager knows to high press as we'll invariably concede more dangerous possession in our area than we will exploit goal-scoring opportunity breakaways. To not mix it up with the quick long-ball breakaway occasionally (as they did to score their second) is idiocy. 

2. Manning and Smallbone are not up to it. Bazunu is still a question mark for me...not that the goals were his fault today but he is just not the commanding presence I think you need in goal.

3. Brooks is class, as is Flynn Downes.

Jack Stephens played well to be fair.

Anyway, let's hope this is the beginning of another long undefeated run...

Smallbone created two assists today... not enough for you?!

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, stknowle said:

We got away with that and I FUCKING LOVE IT.  But we cannot keep throwing goals in like that including today against 10 men. I don’t like calling out individuals but fucks sake Manning is a non-defender. I genuinely cannot recall him making a tackle all season, there’s always acres of space for the opposing winger to waltz into. Martin’s baffling inability to see this could be the difference between going up and staying where we are. 

Yes, the space is called No Manning's Land 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yes, the space is called No Manning's Land 😀

The way he got done for that third goal was embarrassing. You wouldn't see that level of 'defending' in the Southampton Football League.

• Like 4

If we played old school 442 then Manning might do a Marsden style job in the left of midfield. But we don't and he can't defend. Bree left back is absolutely the answer.

• Like 3

We’re at the business end of the season, so results are the be all and end all, but fuck me, we need to defend better than that. I quite like Stephens, but to break up the established centre half pairing is criminal imo. Got away with it today, but sides that concede for fun tend to not get promoted. All in all a decent set of results and an important win. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Agree. But to be honest his entire post was pretty embarrassing from where i'm sitting. He could've celebrated the win, but instead he decided to act like a condescending bell end to other supporters. To each their own i guess.

As to your point - The amount of goals we're conceding (let alone as a side chasing automatic promotion vs relegation threatened sides) is totally unacceptable and a huge cause for concern - and it comes entirely from the manager's tactics, selection, and set up... Need to get through this week with max points and then get into the break, and then seriously get our defensive shape and efficient ball retention sorted.

I celebrated the win at home, not sure why I need to celebrate it online? I wasn't being condescending, I was calling out the sheer ridiculousness of some of the opinions.

RM should be sacked, we're playing utter shite (which was never true), we'd be better off with Nathan fucking Jones.

Embarrassing comments all the way through this thread. Yes, we're poor defensively, but where's everyone's adventure, and enjoyment of end to end games. People are massively over-reactionary, like children. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Last i checked RM picks the team so it’s not enough to say if one of the team scores he’s a tactical genius. i’d have had aribo on from the beginning.

THB at RB was stupid as he’s our best CB and manning at LB with the tactics we play is clearly not working. 

the attempts to cover for downes absence didn’t work.

we are now conceding more than two goals a game over the last 6 games or so.

im fairly neutral on RM as all managers have dodgy spells but i increasingly think that it’s the quality of the players rather than the team that has kept us just about in the race 

I agree that some of the changes dont make sense, but hes hardly making them for banter or to 'keep his mates happy' as is the weird suggestion on here. I would like to see THB back at CB and Meghoma or KWP at LB like many of us.

The players quality can only come out in a system that works. Attacking wise its definitely working atm (we could have scored 6/7 today) and defensively we obviously need to improve. However, its a bit odd to blame RM for the defensive liabilities (wasnt Calderwood getting the credit for our defensive improvement earlier in the season), yet give only the players credit for our attacking ability.

56 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought Stephens had an ok game weirdly, but I think the change around has unsettled us a little bit.

I've been saying for years he'd be a good defensive midfielder.

However you don't just start brilliantly in a different position.it takes time.  He has to learn about positioning, not over committing, and being brave.

Martin knows he has deficiencies in that area so maybe he is trying to convert Jack.

Either that or Jack is channeling his inner Gunter Netzer. One for the oldies there.

Oh how I wish we'd kept Lavia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

I agree that some of the changes dont make sense, but hes hardly making them for banter or to 'keep his mates happy' as is the weird suggestion on here. I would like to see THB back at CB and Meghoma or KWP at LB like many of us.

The players quality can only come out in a system that works. Attacking wise its definitely working atm (we could have scored 6/7 today) and defensively we obviously need to improve. However, it’s a bit odd to blame RM for the defensive liabilities (wasnt Calderwood getting the credit for our defensive improvement earlier in the season), yet give only the players credit for our attacking ability.

he shouldn’t be playing THB at RB and Manning at LB when their were better options today. we have fallen apart defensively in the last six games and we need to address this or we won’t be going up. play the best players in their best positions and we can’t ask for more than that. this is an excellent squad for this level as we will find out next season if we don’t go up !

• Like 6

What a great game of football. Ok we should have smashed then but concidering we are having a wobble in form and seem to have lost the all together as a unit at the back, it is points were Leeds and Leicester slip up. On to the next bit of fun. I am soaked but worth it, you go through the mill but stick with the team, it very entertaining, that’s what it’s all about. 

Try and enjoy it lads and lasses. 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 8

What the hell were our corners? We had an obscene amount and 90% were either short or to the first man which made no sense. Not sure who is responsible for them now but a bit of variety would be good. Similarly with playing out from the back, it's a good tactic but if you do it every single time then it becomes very predictable and increases the chances of a mistake. We have this year managed to mix it up a bit so would be nice if we went back to that. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

There's assists and there's technical assists...granted, his cross for Adams was good I'd give him that...but Brook's goal was entirely Brooks.

My issue with Smallbone is he's not a creative playmaker in midfield (he lacks pace and vision for the ace pass and he doesn't score enough goals) nor is he a defensive midfielder (certainly not an enforcer type stopper, but not a ball-winning tackler either, nor is he an energetic dynamo). Not taking away from his attitude, but at this level, he's a weak link in the team for me and I don't understand why he gets the shirt ahead of others. Rothwell not the answer either.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What the hell were our corners? We had an obscene amount and 90% were either short or to the first man which made no sense. Not sure who is responsible for them now but a bit of variety would be good. Similarly with playing out from the back, it's a good tactic but if you do it every single time then it becomes very predictable and increases the chances of a mistake. We have this year managed to mix it up a bit so would be nice if we went back to that. 

We scored from a corner today, surely that's an improvement. It was also to the back post, so surely that shows variety. Then there were short corners. I'm sure one or two on here just post something without reference to the game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

We scored from a corner today, surely that's an improvement. It was also to the back post, so surely that shows variety. Then there were short corners. I'm sure one or two on here just post something without reference to the game. 

We had 16 corners. The last goal was from a corner when we finally stopped taking short corners or to the first man go back and look at the chances we wasted by persisting with this approach. I watched the whole game thanks so am perfectly aware of what happened. 

20 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

There's assists and there's technical assists...granted, his cross for Adams was good I'd give him that...but Brook's goal was entirely Brooks.

My issue with Smallbone is he's not a creative playmaker in midfield (he lacks pace and vision for the ace pass and he doesn't score enough goals) nor is he a defensive midfielder (certainly not an enforcer type stopper, but not a ball-winning tackler either, nor is he an energetic dynamo). Not taking away from his attitude, but at this level, he's a weak link in the team for me and I don't understand why he gets the shirt ahead of others. Rothwell not the answer either.

Literally our top scoring and our second most creative midfielder but probably not technical goals or something.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 3

Last ditch winners are always fun but let’s have it right, if we keep playing like that we’re going to lose more than we win. Absolute garbage at the back, needless risk, wrong personnel, badly coached. We’re conceding far too many goals, even against shit opposition, RM really needs to go back to the drawing board with that. 

If KWP is fit midweek then him at RB and Bree at LB. If not then Bree RB and Meghoma LB 

• Like 10

We got a little lucky today.

One of their goals was a little lucky, but we were playing against 10 men, and should have put this game to bed easily.

Defending was poor and at least RM has noticed and admitted on the radio its something we need to work on and he took some blame.

We cant trust that we can outscore every team we play.  We are starting to come unstuck a little.

Still onwards and upwards.  Its nice to win in extra time, it gets the blood flowing, but would prefer to be killing these teams off early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gammon cheeks said:

W

Manning seems the scapegoat ehh

And with good reason. For a defender, he categorically fails in his primary role of actually defending, and has been the cause of too many conceded goals this season

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Secret Site Agent said:

We got a little lucky today.

One of their goals was a little lucky, but we were playing against 10 men, and should have put this game to bed easily.

Defending was poor and at least RM has noticed and admitted on the radio its something we need to work on and he took some blame.

We cant trust that we can outscore every team we play.  We are starting to come unstuck a little.

Still onwards and upwards.  Its nice to win in extra time, it gets the blood flowing, but would prefer to be killing these teams off early.

RM has “taken the blame” a few times recently (Bristol City, Millwall, Hull) but it’s just his was of deflecting blame away from the players rather than an actual admission of getting it wrong. 

Fair play for that, but if he actually thought that he’d got something wrong then he wouldn’t just repeat it the next week. 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Literally our top scoring and our second most creative midfielder but probably not technical goals or something.

Four goals in 32 games is more a reflection of how poor our midfield have been contributing goals so far this season than Smallbone's excellence. 

He's not even in the top 50 for assists in the league - and that's in a top-four team with supposedly the strongest squad bar Leicester.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Block41 Saint said:

Flukey win. Up the Saints. 

we dominated, pushed hard and created lots of chances. I've seen us be fortunate to win games, but this wasn't one of those. We eared it aided by the red card, but still well earned and deserved.

• Like 9

So what do you want? His head on a stick? You don’t want him to take the blame for when we play bad? It’s some kind of trick? He does not mean it? He’s lying?  You want him to call the players out by name and say they are shit? God your post is so unthinking it’s not true. He just cannot win with you can he! 

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

The players quality can only come out in a system that works. Attacking wise its definitely working atm (we could have scored 6/7 today) and defensively we obviously need to improve. However, its a bit odd to blame RM for the defensive liabilities (wasnt Calderwood getting the credit for our defensive improvement earlier in the season), yet give only the players credit for our attacking ability.

The stats on attacking looked much better today. 20 shots 10 on target. And 79% possession 

58 minutes ago, Jack said:

Last ditch winners are always fun but let’s have it right, if we keep playing like that we’re going to lose more than we win. Absolute garbage at the back, needless risk, wrong personnel, badly coached. We’re conceding far too many goals, even against shit opposition, RM really needs to go back to the drawing board with that. 

If KWP is fit midweek then him at RB and Bree at LB. If not then Bree RB and Meghoma LB 

This x 100.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I agree with this and back to THB and Bednerak at CB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macca155 said:

I've been saying for years he'd be a good defensive midfielder.

However you don't just start brilliantly in a different position.it takes time.  He has to learn about positioning, not over committing, and being brave.

Martin knows he has deficiencies in that area so maybe he is trying to convert Jack.

Either that or Jack is channeling his inner Gunter Netzer. One for the oldies there.

Oh how I wish we'd kept Lavia.

I was in the pub with a Chelsea fan before the game. He said that Lavia has only managed 13 minutes this season. How I'm glad that we didn't keep him, even with Saints he seemed to be injury prone.

3 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

It’s a stretch to credit smallbone for brooks goal .. sure he played it to him but brooks still had a ton to do .. he had to cut inside and unleash a great strike .. hardly like smallbone set him up 

38 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It’s a stretch to credit smallbone for brooks goal .. sure he played it to him but brooks still had a ton to do .. he had to cut inside and unleash a great strike .. hardly like smallbone set him up 

That’s as maybe but he played well today - yes?

20 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

25 shots I believe 

We actually played really well in general. The fact they scored 3 goals from 3 shots on target is a travesty really. Just piss poor defending. 

• Like 2