Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread

Lighthouse

4 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Play offs were a minimum  expectation I think, so we've achieved that but really given our squad fallen short and fans rightfully feel very let down. I suspect the fan base will be up for the play off semi, so no, not really.

I'm as fucked off as the next fan and it's been a completely shitty end to the season and I'm certain the fans will be up for the play offs just like they were up for Leicester after the Cardiff shitshow. 

We need to build some positivy across the club, it's rock bottom at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Spend 30m with them at a guess for 4 players and sell 1 player for 50m and also got compensation for their ex adamey director we got for free.

5 players. Lavia, Bazunu, Charles, Larios, Edozie.

• Sad 1

Well at least we didn't concede when Downes was on the pitch. We also looked a hell of a lot better after he came on, though that wouldn't have been difficult.

Truly mind numbing game today. Brooks is a nice guy but he was absolute garbage (again) today, can we cancel his loan early. Others weren't great but no one else stands out as having a real shocker. Even McCarthy made a few decent saves that I suspect Baz would not have stopped. 

Actually, does anyone know for certain (as opposed to guessing) whether all of our loans are extended through the playoffs? I seem to recall instances in the past where loanees have had to return to their clubs at the end of the regular season, but maybe I am imagining it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I don't want to go all MLT on everyone, but I am convinced there is something dodgy with the deals we've done with Man City.

It doesn't pass the smell test at all.

Shea Charles came with quite the fan fare (haven’t they all from City) and he’s been beyond disappointing. That’s an understatement. 

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Well at least we didn't concede when Downes was on the pitch. We also looked a hell of a lot better after he came on, though that wouldn't have been difficult.

Truly mind numbing game today. Brooks is a nice guy but he was absolute garbage (again) today, can we cancel his loan early. Others weren't great but no one else stands out as having a real shocker. Even McCarthy made a few decent saves that I suspect Baz would not have stopped. 

Actually, does anyone know for certain (as opposed to guessing) whether all of our loans are extended through the playoffs? I seem to recall instances in the past where loanees have had to return to their clubs at the end of the regular season, but maybe I am imagining it.

Our loans are 100% through to the end of our season, whether that was next week or the 26th. I believe contractually season long loans run until May 31st/June 1st.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I'm as fucked off as the next fan and it's been a completely shitty end to the season and I'm certain the fans will be up for the play offs just like they were up for Leicester after the Cardiff shitshow. 

I didn't go, but Solent have just said that RM was sat during the match nodding and clapping ??.

Muck Fee..........

1 minute ago, Block41 Saint said:

Lucky not to lose 3 or 4-0. Which probably happens if that skate cunt is in goal. 

It's probably the first game this season I can come away and count some saves our GK has made, so credit McCarthy for that. The goal they scored did look a bit iffy though.

Stoke were the better side and had the better chances, no question. They didn't have much of the ball though, so in our clever statisticians eyes they lost and we won.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Hopefully that's the last time we ever see Mara at St Mary's. Brooks too to be honest. Quite a few have been average to poor this year. 

Brooks still has that individual quality to randomly pop up with a moment I think, he's been very frustrating though - huge let down.

Mara - agreed, fraud of a footballer. Should transfer his contract to our parent club in the lower leagues of France, should be more of his level - 'just'.

Saints fans: "fuck missed so many chances to win".

Saints players, don't make chances so no one mentions the chances missed.

*taps head* (except Che who goes to tap head but scuffs his ear, and Sulemana who waves his arms around and then falls over).

Very dissappointing again. I said it after Tuesday but we have to get back to basics and quickly. Getting the ball forward quicker is one thing that has to improve. It felt like too many changes were made today and it affected our rhythm. McCarthy made several outstanding saves today, he played very well. Both Fraser and Edozie looked promising and put in several good crosses but we had noone looking to get on the end of them. Really frustrating today.

Edited by davefizzy14

I said on the group chat that the starting XI was going to be a car crash, so blatantly obvious that it was far too lightweight to have any impact. If he’s going to throw the game, at least give some youth players some minutes rather than those who won’t be here next season. I decided at 2pm not to bother going and I’m glad I didn’t. 

Mara leading the line - pathetic. Brooks - pathetic. Smallbone and Charles are not combative or strong enough to get us a foothold in a game and any time it went forward it bounced straight back off Mara. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

What has RM said about it?

"I’m disappointed it’s ended at home in this way," said the manager. "I know we have another game in the play-offs. Frustrating for everyone really; the players, the supporters, [Steve] Baynes the doc who will be leaving us after today after 14 years of service.

"I asked the players to finish it off very well for him and I feel we haven’t been able to do that. I thought the supporters deserved more today, the players deserved more because of how good they’ve been this season.

"The last week’s been really tough, I know I’m not talking about today’s performance yet but it’s been a really tough week. It’s also at the end of a relentless schedule, 11 games in 32 days, or whatever it is, is not easy. We made changes today to try and inject some energy and freshness and probably disrupted the rhythm of the team a little bit.

"Stoke were good, more aggressive than us in the first half and that’s what’s cost us. We were a goal behind and we have some big chances, they have a few big chances, too many. But in transition when you try and chase being a goal behind you leave yourself open sometimes.

"We have to get over this week. It’s really disappointing because it will change how people feel about the season as a whole, I think, the feeling we have at the moment, because there’s been some really brilliant, brilliant moments.

"I wanted to finish off with the best moment we can possibly have. The end goal is still there, our job now is to pick everyone up and bounce back from this week. We have a game to prepare for before the two most important games of our season, so all the focus will be on that."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We looked like a proper mid-table MK Dons/Swansea side today. A terrible insight of what could be next season if we keep the same manager and mess up another summer transfer window.

No intensity and lots of playing in our own half today. While Stoke tested McCarthy a lot more than we tested their goalkeeper. 

Last time we were here we were on the pitch after thrashing Coventry. Now, we're going through the motions against Stoke on a miserable day and the players walking around an empty stadium with a game left.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Stoke - Match Thread
21 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It's rock bottom because the fans can see the potential of this squad, but that potential is being stifled by this managers tactics. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

[Steve] Baynes the doc who will be leaving us after today after 14 years of service.

Why is the team doctor leaving two weeks before the 3 most important games of the season...? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I think it’s pretty obvious that with a better, more adaptable Manager we’d be getting more from these players. Which players have actually really improved under Martin??

I really don’t think teams recently have feared us bar Preston and they somehow got their game plan completely wrong. We’re very predictable and the issues of being caught out when teams switch flanks rapidly against us happens every game. If we somehow get to Wembley and team will expose that.

i’d take the Stoke manager who’s always done pretty well and their wide no 22 who looked decent. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Lucky not to lose 3 or 4-0. Which probably happens if that skate cunt is in goal. 

And yet somehow we’ve looked utterly pathetic in three of the four games since he’s been injured. None of McC’s saves today were anything special, a couple just smacked at him, waist height, another near post at a tight angle that was straight at his shins.

As for the rest of our performances today. Pathetic and gutless. Edozie and KWP sort of looked alright but I can’t quite bring myself to compliment them as such. A total lack of composure all over the pitch, right from the first minute. The end of this season feels like the end of Puel’s season - on paper fourth is a decent result but watching the way things are heading on the pitch… guuueehhhhh.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

And yet somehow we’ve looked utterly pathetic in three of the four games since he’s been injured. None of McC’s saves today were anything special, a couple just smacked at him, waist height, another near post at a tight angle that was straight at his shins.

As for the rest of our performances today. Pathetic and gutless. Edozie and KWP sort of looked alright but I can’t quite bring myself to compliment them as such. A total lack of composure all over the pitch, right from the first minute. The end of this season feels like the end of Puel’s season - on paper fourth is a decent result but watching the way things are heading on the pitch… guuueehhhhh.

The legend that is banzy banzunu wouldn’t have got anywhere near those saves McCarthy made today !

• Like 6

Flat as a witch’s tit today and if you’re trying to think of a one word summary - turgid! Really odd performance, and only players who looked like breaking through were Edozie, Aribo and Armstrong. Fraser was a yard slow and positioning all wrong, Mara might as well be a fucking hologram, Brooks looks like he’s playing because his family are being held hostage on Dragan’s yacht. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Nothing what so ever - That's the part I found ridiculous. The way people can't critisise without resorting to petty insults. There's a difference between thinking Martin isn't right for the job and just calling him endless, childish names.

Can't disagree with that mate 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why is the team doctor leaving two weeks before the 3 most important games of the season...? 🤷‍♂️

Agree. The manager I could understand but the team doctor...that's nuts!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, derry said:

H&W quote above was excellent. Personally I'm spitting chips. The penultimate game of the regular season and tinkerman messes it up again. He might be a possession obsessive but he doesn't still know his best team, worse the slow own half possession is mind numbing. Brooks and Smallbone are strollers, Mara has no idea, Edozie is a one trick pony and usually the move ends with his possession. Anybody who thinks that playing this way we are going to win the playoffs including the manager is deluded. 

In my opinion possession in your own half shouldn’t count.

• Like 5

Dismal performance. Mara would struggle in non league, not that the rest were anything to write home about.

I think Norwich will get 5th and we will get dumped out in the semis.

Would like to see RM replaced but I suspect he'll be here next season.

What a way to end the regular season home campaign.

• Like 2

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

In my opinion possession in your own half shouldn’t count.

You can kind of tell when the possession stats are derived from your own half, when we don't have real attempts on goal. I find that the passing around at the back stems from not really having much of a game plan or any real idea of how to get the ball forward, no one spotting a run, no one having the quality to pick a pass etc - so they revert to safety and just keep it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Don’t worry lads we’ll get a reaction at Leeds 

I hope Ipswich win tonight and midweek to render our game next week completely pointless. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They kept waiting in the freezing rainy weather for at least twenty minutes. What does anybody expect?

I was expecting some shirts to be handed out to the waiting fans. The club could have raided the shop.

• Like 1

Anyone see that result coming? Ffs 

that was about as predictable as it pissing down tonight. Confidence at zero going into the playoffs,, Leeds may not have anything to play for next week if Ipswich win 2 on the bounce.. no real point in anyone bothering to make an effort to watch this one. 

3 minutes ago, JCBSaint said:

Anyone see that result coming? Ffs 

that was about as predictable as it pissing down tonight. Confidence at zero going into the playoffs,, Leeds may not have anything to play for next week if Ipswich win 2 on the bounce.. no real point in anyone bothering to make an effort to watch this one. 

Leeds away £48.50 with booking fee has to represent the worse value football ticket of all time?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1