January 2015 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

What exactly has happened with Michu?

Had a really, really bad injury. Swansea spent big on Bony, and he never really recovered. Loaned out to Napoli where he continues to pickup niggles and knocks.

Great bargain for 1 season, but probably not much use now.

If we pay £10-15m for a player with only 6 months left on a deal, then someone at the club needs to be taken to the itchen bridge and shot. That would be pure desperation

If we are prepared to let him have his pick of clubs in the summer rather than spend money now, that is false economy. Get the deal done now. We need him this season, not just next.

My bro had a good suggestion - Defoe. Although I've always hated him as a Spurs player, he'd provide the kind of finishing we need. Also think Long has been pretty poor so far and well off his price tag. Also think we need a back-up keeper.

Is there any pacey wingers coming through the ranks? We're crying out for a new youngster in that position.

Rowe (Please!), Sims and Jake Sinclair are the most obvious.

Would love to see Rowe given a crack, especially considering the poor form of Mane, Long and Tadic in relation to actually producing goals in the last 4 games! Not knocking the ability of any of those players mind. Purely think that given their form, we should let the nippers have a go at Sheffield.

My bro had a good suggestion - Defoe. Although I've always hated him as a Spurs player, he'd provide the kind of finishing we need. Also think Long has been pretty poor so far and well off his price tag. Also think we need a back-up keeper.

Long was 'well off his price tag' from the outset, it's not his fault that we, for some reason or other, paid at least twice his worth. I'd have rather kept Gaston and our 12 million £.

I see we have been linked wth Wesley Sneijder today...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2874551/Manchester-United-Southampton-alert-Wesley-Sneijder-seeks-Galatasaray-exit.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Would have thought it's more lazy journalism more than anything...

I see we have been linked wth Wesley Sneijder today...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2874551/Manchester-United-Southampton-alert-Wesley-Sneijder-seeks-Galatasaray-exit.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Would have thought it's more lazy journalism more than anything...

We've been linked with him simply because Koeman is Dutch. The article says as much.

On my list of possibles in Europe (with contracts expiring)

Centre back/Right back = Schar (Basel)

Attacking midfieder = Firmino, Gourcuff, Yarmolenko, Konoplyanka, Ayew

Centre Forward = Babacar (Fiorentina)

These are decent players, all could be coups.

Anyone remember when we were linked with Dragovic?

I'd love to take a punt on Doumbia, though I think CSKA want more than 20 million. Feghouli may cost a fair bit, again not sure if he'd make it in the Prem.

Kjaer, a decent CB, however having poor season at Lille. How much would Granit Xhaka cost I wonder...

If we don't have much of a budget, I'd like to see the Bertrand deal put on hold until the end of the season (by which time the club would surely have earned enough again to afford him) and use the money now for someone else we don't have. Oddly, I'm not sure where needs strengthening the most. We have back up in most places, just not necessarily of the right calibre, or available when we need it. Up front is probably the most urgent, given Pelle's recent drought and Long's inconsistency (although otherwise strong performances). J-Rod won't be back for ages, and we can't guarantee what level he'll be at, or that he'll commit long term. Mayuka is toilet, unfortunately. Not sure who we could get in our price range, other than the likes of Ings, but doubt Burnley would sell unless we offered silly money, which we wouldn't. Another midfielder wouldn't go amiss. It's our strongest area generally, but as we are seeing at the moment, is the most vulnerable to injury and suspension. We've been linked with Clasie of course. I'd take him.

Actually we don't have backup for Tadic who is out of form. And now is when we are missing Lallana (written from my bullet proof bunker). So who is out there that can offer the forward creative wing play we have become used to to get behind defences. We could advance Clyne to cover for Tadic perhaps, but we don't have effective cover for Clyne yet.

Xhaka could be a good replacement for Morgan in the summer. Will be a good player in years to come. Highly doubt we'd get Doumbia, he'll want European football. Excellent player though.

These are decent players, all could be coups.

Anyone remember when we were linked with Dragovic?

I'd love to take a punt on Doumbia, though I think CSKA want more than 20 million. Feghouli may cost a fair bit, again not sure if he'd make it in the Prem.

Kjaer, a decent CB, however having poor season at Lille. How much would Granit Xhaka cost I wonder...