January 2015 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

Our problem is not having clinical strikers, and Benteke squanders so many chances. Ings would be good but agree he doesn't really fit into our style of play. It's up to the black box to find our best option I think!

Lets hope it's more Rodriguez and less Mayuka.

Must say Ings is getting better and better at Burnley.

Who's to say we can't agree a deal in January that becomes effective in the summer. I swear some clubs have done that before? Burnley won't want to let him go on a free but will want to keep him so could be an option.

In any event a striker is the key player we need in the summer as an alternative to Pelle. Pretty happy with the rest of the squad.

Our problem was not signing Austin when we were both in League 1 instead of persisting with Average players such as Barnard and Sharp.

Austin is a natural-born goal scorer, and they will score goals in whatever level they play at. May be a bit of a ****, but would rather we had him than Sharp who people idolise for some reason.

Interesting that Koeman says we could be in for another attacker. There have been a lot of half-links to various players, but nothing too concrete that I've seen.

We'll have (hopefully) at one point this season, Pelle, Mane, Long, Elia and Rodriguez, plus potentially one more.

Based on Koeman saying we need more competition up front, I assume we'd look at a direct alternative for Pelle, someone that can play as a lone front man?

Our problem was not signing Austin when we were both in League 1 instead of persisting with Average players such as Barnard and Sharp.

Austin is a natural-born goal scorer, and they will score goals in whatever level they play at. May be a bit of a ****, but would rather we had him than Sharp who people idolise for some reason.

Sharp was great for us at the time and scored some important goals in our promotion to the Premier.

You do realise we didn't have Sharp in League 1?

And if you're not sure why people "idolise" Sharp, I'm guessing you didn't attend games while we weren't in the top flight.

He was crucial in the last half of our promotion winning season with vital goals and general all round play at that level. Scoring twice against the skates helps a lot too.

But yes, in hindsight maybe we should have signed Austin too. In fact we should have also signed every other player that ever went on to do well.

Interesting that Koeman says we could be in for another attacker. There have been a lot of half-links to various players, but nothing too concrete that I've seen.

We'll have (hopefully) at one point this season, Pelle, Mane, Long, Elia and Rodriguez, plus potentially one more.

Based on Koeman saying we need more competition up front, I assume we'd look at a direct alternative for Pelle, someone that can play as a lone front man?

Yes.

You do realise we didn't have Sharp in League 1?

And if you're not sure why people "idolise" Sharp, I'm guessing you didn't attend games while we weren't in the top flight.

He was crucial in the last half of our promotion winning season with vital goals and general all round play at that level. Scoring twice against the skates helps a lot too.

But yes, in hindsight maybe we should have signed Austin too. In fact we should have also signed every other player that ever went on to do well.

This.

The one thing we didn't do with Billy Sharp was "persist" with him.

We signed him in January for five months work to get us promoted then basically never played him again for the rest of his contract.

The one thing we didn't do with Billy Sharp was "persist" with him.

We signed him in January for five months work to get us promoted then basically never played him again for the rest of his contract.

We did persist with him in the sense that he was our top target on getting to the championship in the summer of 2011 -perhaps at the expense of pursuing other strikers- only to go back and get him in the January window. Either way, if rumour is to be believed, Austin said no to us in the January 2011 window when he opted for Burnley.

Edited by shurlock

We did persist with him in the sense that he was our top target on getting to the championship in the summer of 2011 -perhaps at the expense of pursuing other strikers- only to go back and get him in the January window. Either way, if rumour is to be believed, Austin said no to us in the January 2011 window when he opted for Burnley.

My recollection is that Swindon rejected our bid,as they saw us as a promotion rival, and then accepted a lower bid from Burnley who were in the Championship. I think either NA or Cortese made a comment about this at the time (although without mentioning either Austin or Swindon by name).

My recollection is that Swindon rejected our bid,as they saw us as a promotion rival, and then accepted a lower bid from Burnley who were in the Championship. I think either NA or Cortese made a comment about this at the time (although without mentioning either Austin or Swindon by name).

Shurlock is right. I happen to know about this one and few other Incomings at the time, he had the choice of us Burnley and another championship club whose name escapes me for now. He chose Burnley even though we offered him a bit more money and a big promotion bonus. Cortese was fuming as Adkins had been involved in the deal and he blamed Adkins for not securing the signing. This was the first cracks in their relationship and when Cortese decided that Adkins didn't have the profile in the game to attract major signings.

He's also right about Billy Sharp, we tried to sign him in the summer before he eventually joined but Sharp turned us down at that point as his wife was due to give birth a few months later to Luis (RIP) being the top bloke he is he put family before a lucrative move at the time as he didn't want to uproot his family or be away from them at that time even though he wanted to join us.

Edited by Turkish

A right back and striker and European football is ours imo

This, though I'd add a decent second choice keeper. Either young, eager and good or early-mid 30s and happy to fight for a spot.

I appreciate all Kelvin has done for us but him and Gazzaniga as back up to Forster fills me with dread in case he gets injured or suspended.

With Elia already signed, all other positions are sorted.

Got a feeling it will another loan with a option to buy and a sneeky feeling it will be Bas Dost. He is out of favour at Wolfsburg and Koeman will know him from his time in the dutch league where he was prolific. He also fits the profile of the centre forward we need being 6.4 and trying to kick start his career again and at the same time being direct competition with Pelle for that target man role.

Got a feeling it will another loan with a option to buy and a sneeky feeling it will be Bas Dost. He is out of favour at Wolfsburg and Koeman will know him from his time in the dutch league where he was prolific. He also fits the profile of the centre forward we need being 6.4 and trying to kick start his career again and at the same time being direct competition with Pelle for that target man role.

I just checked the FM 2015 data base and I don't think he is good enough for us. Of course, neither was Pelle last summer. Or Fonte now.

Anyone else find it refreshing after the summer mayhem that, as far as I can see, there are no pressure stories today about Saints players leaving?

It is rather nice. I think their is some realism that we may see better players continue to leave in the future but it is nice to see the things settled.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alexandre-lacazette/profil/spieler/93720

17 in 19 games in Ligue 1. Big, quick, young and good on Fifa. Valued at €15 according to this site.

You won't get Lacazette for 15 million that's for sure, they've got a queue a mile long to sign him but as they're going quite well just now they're not really wanting to sell...bit like us really.

What about Milik at Ajax (on loan from Leverkusen) ? 20yr old polish forward, his strengths would suit us well and we could do innumerable "Got Milk" jokes.

We could build him up and slowly introduce him into our system as Pelle's sub and he would obviously be familiar with our system and the previous dutch based players.

I've also realised, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U are default always in a race for every player in europe, the things they do for clickbait.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/104257

Edit: his idol growing up was Thierry Henry so obviously a big fan of the Premier League and he speaks great english.

Edit 2: I've 100% convinced myself we are buying him, I will be very disappointed in Les is we haven't by end of the window #meltdown

Edited by Convict Colony

Just heard on talksport that united now want morgan and will offer £27m for him

of course, quinny and that idiot georgie bingham said he was not worth anywhere near that

then ray parlour stated that he is brilliant and that he cant see saints selling anyone in january

(which the other two scoffed at)

Morgan just stated on Telefoot (French programme) that he was not going to leave this January saying it is complicated to move in winter, less time to settle.

He did want however to leave in the summer for a bigger club. (We apparently refused offers from Dortmund Naples Spurs and Arsenal last summer. They also stated that now Liverpool and Man U have joined the race to sign him. (As if Liverpool can offer him something)

What he learned from last summer is that you are never really gone until its signed on a piece of paper.

They also had the French National team manager on saying it was a shame that he didn t leave last summer like all the other best players did as Southampton was not one of the most fasionable clubs in the world.

The board are not opposed to him going this summer but it doesn t mean he will be under sold (price wise)

You get the feeling that if we don t qualify for Champions league then he is off.

Even if we do get there I wouldn t rule out a move. I think he really wants a change of scenary which is a shame as he must be with Kelvin Davis our current longest serving player

Paul Pogba also said that everytime he trains with Morgan he learns something off him.

Morgan just stated on Telefoot (French programme) that he was not going to leave this January saying it is complicated to move in winter, less time to settle.

He did want however to leave in the summer for a bigger club. (We apparently refused offers from Dortmund Naples Spurs and Arsenal last summer. They also stated that now Liverpool and Man U have joined the race to sign him. (As if Liverpool can offer him something)

What he learned from last summer is that you are never really gone until its signed on a piece of paper.

They also had the French National team manager on saying it was a shame that he didn t leave last summer like all the other best players did as Southampton was not one of the most fasionable clubs in the world.

The board are not opposed to him going this summer but it doesn t mean he will be under sold (price wise)

You get the feeling that if we don t qualify for Champions league then he is off.

Even if we do get there I wouldn t rule out a move. I think he really wants a change of scenary which is a shame as he must be with Kelvin Davis our current longest serving player

Paul Pogba also said that everytime he trains with Morgan he learns something off him.

Very interesting, thanks. Didn't know that Dortmund and Arsenal had actually made offers -or even of Dortmund's interest.

Strange how our unfashionable club has so many "fashionable" clubs desiring our players and willing to pay top dollar.

Poor Morgan, imprisoned at such a p**s poor, unfashionable club like ours. It's not as if we've had anything to do with his development as a player, certainly not. :x

Unfortunately, the more I read about Morgan wanting a move to a bigger club and the less I hear from him saying positive things about Saints, the more I'm starting to feel detached from him. :(

What about Milik at Ajax (on loan from Leverkusen) ? 20yr old polish forward, his strengths would suit us well and we could do innumerable "Got Milk" jokes.

We could build him up and slowly introduce him into our system as Pelle's sub and he would obviously be familiar with our system and the previous dutch based players.

I've also realised, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U are default always in a race for every player in europe, the things they do for clickbait.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/104257

Edit: his idol growing up was Thierry Henry so obviously a big fan of the Premier League and he speaks great english.

Edit 2: I've 100% convinced myself we are buying him, I will be very disappointed in Les is we haven't by end of the window #meltdown

Interesting spot that, I wasn't aware that he was on loan at Ajax. Seen him play for Poland and he didn't look much but didn't realise how young he was. Looks as if Ajax have a purchase option for the summer though so I think if they want him he'll probably end up signing for them. Might need another year or two at that level before making the jump to a Prem side though.