Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Will be interesting to see how Liverpool get on.

Will be a good indication of how well we could have done if we didn't sell our best player and lose our manager each year.

Liverpool are the that ambitious club that we coulda, shoulda been.

Thought they'd do well

Confirmed. Bloke is a joker. Blew the EL last year and same again in CL. Out of touch with fans. Destined to win nothing.

Might be confirmed in your mind but most, including me, see him as a progressive Manager on an upward career trajectory. Injuries and player fatigue seemed to cost them late last season.

Might be confirmed in your mind but most, including me, see him as a progressive Manager on an upward career trajectory. Injuries and player fatigue seemed to cost them late last season.

I'd agree but there's some clear managerial trends he's developed over the last 6 or 7 years:

-Poor cup performance when it should be a priority

-Poor late season form/general exhaustion

-Lots of possession but limited penetration

-Too many draws

Levy can't be happy with their exit in a very manageable group

I'd agree but there's some clear managerial trends he's developed over the last 6 or 7 years:

-Poor cup performance when it should be a priority

-Poor late season form/general exhaustion

-Lots of possession but limited penetration

-Too many draws

Levy can't be happy with their exit in a very manageable group

Yes, probably right. Poch's high pressing style does seem to catch up with player fitness as the season goes on, and the player rotation/resting issue is highly debatable isn't it; just like with SFC at the moment. The other thing with Spurs seems to be the depth of their squad and maybe an over-reliance on Kane. I'm as glad as the next person that they're out of the CL, but the comment about Pochettino being a dud coach/manager as post 5471 was claiming has to be called out.

Yes, probably right. Poch's high pressing style does seem to catch up with player fitness as the season goes on, and the player rotation/resting issue is highly debatable isn't it; just like with SFC at the moment. The other thing with Spurs seems to be the depth of their squad and maybe an over-reliance on Kane. I'm as glad as the next person that they're out of the CL, but the comment about Pochettino being a dud coach/manager as post 5471 was claiming has to be called out.

He's a very good manager, though I do think he's got a lot more to learn. Managing that late season burn out being the major one.

Do the Spuds fans still love him?

Edited by Suhari

I was taking the pi ss a little bit as clearly done very well. However Spurs fans livid though as were we after the Sunderland FA cup game.

Media love in with him though inevitably leads to more overrating him IMO. Came 3rd in a two horse race last year and that takes some doing.

And guess what many fans bemoaning no plan B.

Play a rested Chelsea at the weekend. Good luck.

I was taking the pi ss a little bit as clearly done very well. However Spurs fans livid though as were we after the Sunderland FA cup game.

Media love in with him though inevitably leads to more overrating him IMO. Came 3rd in a two horse race last year and that takes some doing.

And guess what many fans bemoaning no plan B.

Play a rested Chelsea at the weekend. Good luck.

Fair enough Whelk; I missed the pi sstake you intended - no doubt the Pochettino love-in at Spurs is in decline, and as others have noted, his pattern of prioritising the Prem over Cups, Europa and now CL is a risky strategy. There's something about him though that makes me think he will do better than Spurs before his time's up.

I thought Jansen was an odd striker signing for them, they should have gone for someone small and nippy as an alternative to Kane. They don't have a great record of signing strikers really.

They really do miss Toby at the back, i think most teams would to be honest. It seems as if signing Wanyama has totally nullified them in an attacking sense, did they really need him? They played with Dembele as the deepest midfielder last year, but now they're playing Dembele and Wanyama in most games....so they seem to play a lot more cautiously in the middle.

I thought Jansen was an odd striker signing for them, they should have gone for someone small and nippy as an alternative to Kane. They don't have a great record of signing strikers really.

They really do miss Toby at the back, i think most teams would to be honest. It seems as if signing Wanyama has totally nullified them in an attacking sense, did they really need him? They played with Dembele as the deepest midfielder last year, but now they're playing Dembele and Wanyama in most games....so they seem to play a lot more cautiously in the middle.

Not sure they particularly miss Toby: clearly it would be better he was fit but their problems are up top and a chronic lack of pace. Janssen and Sissoko have to date been flops.

Dembele wasn't their deepest lying midfielder last season: they played Dier, a converted CB, there so Wanyama is basically a replacement/upgrade on him. Dembele was suspended at the start of the season, so they lost some dynamism when Dier and Wanyama played together but that's not been the case for a while.

Edited by shurlock

Not sure they particularly miss Toby: clearly it would be better he was fit but their problems are up top and a chronic lack of pace. Janssen and Sissoko have to date been flops.

Dembele wasn't their deepest lying midfielder last season: they played Dier, a converted CB, there so Wanyama is basically a replacement/upgrade on him. Dembele was suspended at the start of the season, so they lost some dynamism when Dier and Wanyama played together but that's not been the case for a while.

Bloody hell. I didn't know they were in so much trouble. I thought they were in the top 5 and already 10 points ahead of us after the opening 12 games. That lack of pace is clearly killing them.

Only team not to lose in the league this season aren't they? Defensively they are very solid but take out Kane and they look toothless up front. Surprised they aren't interested in Sturridge.

Only team not to lose in the league this season aren't they? Defensively they are very solid but take out Kane and they look toothless up front. Surprised they aren't interested in Sturridge.

It's amazing that Spurs can still compete with us financially. They've got a smaller capacity than us now, their owner is poorer than ours and they're spending at least £750 million on building their new stadium.

It's amazing that Spurs can still compete with us financially. They've got a smaller capacity than us now, their owner is poorer than ours and they're spending at least £750 million on building their new stadium.

In fact I'd be amazed if our owner really has more money than Joe Lewis. Lewis actually appears in Forbes list, KL does not.

Earlier in this thread I asked the question who will be the first defector to leave the club after their big money signing.* I didn't expect it to be Schniederlin as I always saw him as a model professional.

*I specifically ruled out Ricky Lambert at that time, due to his age he was never going to stay at Liverpool a long time.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Would hate to see him playing for Everton and no disrespect to WBA, but he's better than that.

Apart from some Saints fans, nobody else seems to think he's better than West Brom level. He's been found wanting by several top managers at France and Man United and none of them thought he was good enough. West Brom is exactly his level and even there he won't be a star player.

Apart from some Saints fans, nobody else seems to think he's better than West Brom level. He's been found wanting by several top managers at France and Man United and none of them thought he was good enough. West Brom is exactly his level and even there he won't be a star player.

So you are saying West Brom are better than Southampton are you ?