Charlie Austin

Saint-Armstrong

My bro is a QPR fan so I watch QPR any chance I get.

It's a great signing - and he's fantastic in the air as well, which he doesn't always get credit for.

Just DON'T let him near the penalties. He cost QPR a lot of points last season in missed pens. Usually in tight games at 0-0 or 0-1.

He missed one, and that cost QPR one point. Missed against Hull as far as I can see (unless the stats are wrong). Only previous miss was in 2011 for Swindon. Scored 17 from 19 in his career. Doesn't sound too shabby.

Seems like he also missed one against West Ham, don't know why the stats didn't include that, so that would be 3 points he "cost" Rangers. Still not too shabby. Still happy to have someone rather than Tadic to take pens if JWP is not on the pitch.

A Great signing, which was always on the cards......Can't wait to see him demolish Manure and that watch that deluded ***** Van Gaal suffer more next weekend, hopefully it'll end their top 4 finish ambitions too.

Whats also good about this signing is in the summer we will probably offload the then 32 year old knee crocked Pelle back to Italy to some gullible serie A club for around £4M-£5M where it will mess with his head and his form will hopefully take a dive just in time for Euro's and will totally screw up Italy's game plan as they rely on him the goals :lol: anything which gives England a better chance is ok with me..... Who knows maybe if Charlie can score a hat full of goals for us maybe he'll get his chance in an England shirt.

why would we receive a fee for a player that was never ours?

We would have paid, or agreed to pay, a fee for Caulker for the entire season so we might get a refund or at least not have to pay the one part and we will be saving his wages from now on. I doubt we would have received any direct money but we have freed up some savings.

Would we really pay Austin 80k a week? At best I'd reckon he's on £50k, from the noises he's made he wants to play in the league, wants to be down south and wants to get in the England team I don't think we needed to throw a massive wage at him, sounds more like he's made the move because it's a good one for his career.

I found it very odd after his excellent season last year in a trash team that no one went for him in the summer.

Top signing I can see him potentially being a 20 goal a season man for us, he's a very good finisher and we create a decent amount of chances.

Not been able to see his tweets for months as he blocked me for calling him out when he was WRONG yet again. The guy is a clueless chump masquerading as a journalist.

can't you see his tweets via the regular internet without logging into your twitter account?

I'd be surprised if we had paid £80k. He was rumoured to be circa £50k at QPR so it may be somewhere in the middle.

As I understood it that's why he didn't get a move in the summer. His £85k a week wage demand combined with the transfer fee were too much. The fee has fallen, but I suspect the wages won't be far off.

I thought the big question about Austin was his temperament ?

Saints are presumably happy that at 26 he's more settled. Otherwise this signing would be slightly off the "Southampton Way"

As he said, family outside of football is important. I think too many fans over look that, save for when X wants to go to London not least because their Mrs wants to. He's got a 3yo (?) kid, his parents are in B'mouth. Nice enough area to bring your kid up in. He's local-ish. He will be well paid and as the top 4 didn't seemingly want him, we seem to be a pretty decent option for him. I think it was Ferguson who often looked at whether a player was married, and often went for those as they were more "mature".

I loved reading all the comments from fans, many from the glory teams, opining that it should have been their clubs who signed him, and asking how we managed to get him so cheaply. Also there was amazement at how we managed to get it over the line without it being highlighted in the press for weeks beforehand. I really love the way that we do our business behind closed doors. One in the eye for those journos with an agenda against us.

I loved reading all the comments from fans, many from the glory teams, opining that it should have been their clubs who signed him, and asking how we managed to get him so cheaply. Also there was amazement at how we managed to get it over the line without it being highlighted in the press for weeks beforehand. I really love the way that we do our business behind closed doors. One in the eye for those journos with an agenda against us.

...which is pretty much no journalists, anywhere, at all.

Pleased with the signing, however a slight word of caution. I believe he has little/no knee cartilage remaining and I would expect at £4m he will not be starting every game - far from it and he'll be rotated with Long if it's true. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm?

Pleased with the signing, however a slight word of caution. I believe he has little/no knee cartilage remaining and I would expect at £4m he will not be starting every game - far from it and he'll be rotated with Long if it's true. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm?

I would assume the medical he passed may have looked at this is in some detail.

Where does this belief come from? Is it David Sullivan? Austin himself pretty strongly dismissed that he has any reoccurring injury issues:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/20/charlie-austin-david-sullivan-west-ham-qpr

Maybe our medical staff who gave him a clean bill of health would be a good source.

One of the dildo twins has been spouting off, I doubt very much we are playing CA £100k a week

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/west-ham/west_ham_chief_questions_charlie_austin_wage_bargain_after_southampton_move_1_4382457

I'd cringe if he was our chairman, he is so unprofessional. And to that his kid spouting off, christ, what a dream team that is.

One of the dildo twins has been spouting off, I doubt very much we are playing CA £100k a week

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/west-ham/west_ham_chief_questions_charlie_austin_wage_bargain_after_southampton_move_1_4382457

Why would he lie? Why is it so hard to believe? Feels like saints fans only believing the stories they like. He will be on a bloody fortune.

Why would he lie? Why is it so hard to believe? Feels like saints fans only believing the stories they like. He will be on a bloody fortune.

There may be a few supporters around the country questioning why their club didn't sign him, one way to placate them is to suggest his wage demands were extortionate. Maybe Gold is doing just that, then he and their fans can believe whatever story they like, just like us.

It's quite stupid to talk about a 4m fee and 100k a week wage for an 'injury prone' player as too much, but yet the 15m fee and 100k a week for Andy Carroll, with such a great fitness record, wasn't a problem...

He won't be on that much anyway, probably more like 80k as was reported, and that sort of wage won't be beyond any PL club once this tv deal kicks in

I'd cringe if he was our chairman, he is so unprofessional. And to that his kid spouting off, christ, what a dream team that is.

Charlie should tweet back at the old cnt. Clearly some history and sleight from this old duffer.

Re the WHam Chairman's tweet, perhaps Charlie Austin's agent quoted £100k a week when they enquired in the Summer. Doesn't mean that's what was agreed - also CA may not have been keen on a stay in East London so ratcheted up his wage demands. Lastly we've given him a 4 and a half year deal meaning any 'signing on' fee will be spread over more seasons and so less 'per week' as the press (and us) like to describe any deal. All of which means only those genuinely 'ITK' will know how much he is on - though it will be soooo much more than any of us 'experts' on here

you believe? where did you hear that from? twitter gossip?

Re the WHam Chairman's tweet, perhaps Charlie Austin's agent quoted £100k a week when they enquired in the Summer. Doesn't mean that's what was agreed - also CA may not have been keen on a stay in East London so ratcheted up his wage demands. Lastly we've given him a 4 and a half year deal meaning any 'signing on' fee will be spread over more seasons and so less 'per week' as the press (and us) like to describe any deal. All of which means only those genuinely 'ITK' will know how much he is on - though it will be soooo much more than any of us 'experts' on here

Alex Crook says he was asking for £60k this summer.

He is normally the authority on such matters

An incredible signing I had hoped we'd have made when QPR got relegated. When

Ronald Koeman said we weren't interested in him, it really angered me so much and increased my feelings towards Koeman that I was convinced he wasn't the manager to take Saints forward. I'm still not convinced but far more than I was prior to us signing Charlie.

Sad that we've not gone for Sam Byram. I'm sure he'd have been a top long term signing for us.

He got his crotch less knickers in a knot in a TV interview when we signed Gaston Ramirez (?), banging on that we no way had that kind of money to buy and pay the reputed wages.

I would assume the medical he passed may have looked at this is in some detail.

He failed one previously hence part of the reason for the cheap price (as well as the 4 and half year contract). He is a bit of a risk medically apparently however doesn't seem to have effected his QPR performances much

(On 8 July 2013, a fee was agreed between Burnley and Premier League club Hull City for Austin. However, on 9 July 2013, Austin failed his medical and Hull pulled out of the deal)

They then bought Long!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo